**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Removal of the pause button in Bgs

If its possible Kabam, can you kindly remove the pause button in battlegrounds please? I know this may cause a little disagreement but, people have been taking advantage of this in order to win the game. I have lost over 20 matches because of this, and I’m a little disappointed.

Comments

• Options
    Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,764 ★★★★★
    The pause button is often used at the start of the fight in order to "fix" the initial missed inputs at the start, like the first parry or so.
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    PT_99 said:

How about we ask for a reward buff instead of things that don't affect 99% people?

99% of players don't play BG? Then why bother buffing the rewards
  • Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,695 Guardian
    edited December 2023
    Hoitado said:

How do you expect me to take down a 5 65 Ascended Fury at Max sig if you take away the pause button???

Just use sunspot, black cat, werewolf...etc. they all take out a life in 1 sp2 so it is like a 70 second fight except for werewolf where it is 40 seconds.

Black cat can also be faster if you kill the first life before the sp2 ends and get a crit.
  • Options
    MalchaeisMalchaeis Posts: 174 ★★
    Add a statistic the stats that shows how long each fight was paused.
  • Options
    HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Posts: 776 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Pro_Nate said:

If its possible Kabam, can you kindly remove the pause button in battlegrounds please? I know this may cause a little disagreement but, people have been taking advantage of this in order to win the game. I have lost over 20 matches because of this, and I’m a little disappointed.

It doesn't matter. The pause button is there in general for players to be able to look at things like the nodes and effect descriptions. But if you just want to pause the fighting, you don't need a pause button. You just need to switch away from the game. The game automatically stops running when that happens. Removing the pause button would not prevent a player from deciding to freeze the combat and wait.

And if you decide to heavily penalize or even cause the player to forfeit if they switch away, that will cause more problems than it solves. I've accidentally swiped up on the game client and switched from it far more times than I've had an opponent pause the fight out on me. You'd anger far more people who make innocent mistakes penalizing context switches than you would likely save people from pausers.
    I've said this before. Final score should be scaled by time left. Something like this:

[1 - (120s - fight time)/120s ] * Total Score.

Haven't checked it so it might be wrong.
  • Options

DNA3000 said:

Pro_Nate said:

It doesn't matter. The pause button is there in general for players to be able to look at things like the nodes and effect descriptions. But if you just want to pause the fighting, you don't need a pause button. You just need to switch away from the game. The game automatically stops running when that happens. Removing the pause button would not prevent a player from deciding to freeze the combat and wait.

And if you decide to heavily penalize or even cause the player to forfeit if they switch away, that will cause more problems than it solves. I've accidentally swiped up on the game client and switched from it far more times than I've had an opponent pause the fight out on me. You'd anger far more people who make innocent mistakes penalizing context switches than you would likely save people from pausers.
    I've said this before. Final score should be scaled by time left. Something like this:

This would have problematic consequences for certain meta. For example, it would generate a ton of ties when both sides last the entire fight.
  • Options
    Warlock14Warlock14 Posts: 27
    edited December 2023
    Pro_Nate said:

Then you have to learn what they doing the same way, so u can do the same to others till we all get use to it.
  • Options
    TP33TP33 Posts: 1,601 ★★★★
    If kabam can tell when people lose on purpose instead of by accident, then I’m sure they can tell when the pause button is being used to gain an “unfair advantage”. They know when you’re pausing to take down a nick fury for example and as unpopular as it may be to punish that, the point of nick fury as a defender is that second life, bypassing it by just pausing the game and waiting isn’t exactly a skilled move (if you hate it so much just ban him).

I see why removing the pause button would be a problem, but including “using pausing to stall out or win games” as one of their parameters for detecting unfair play in battlegrounds wouldn’t be catastrophic.
  • Options
    TherunekingTheruneking Posts: 198 ★★
    PT_99 said:

How about we ask for a reward buff instead of things that don't affect 99% people?

We don't do that here.
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

Pro_Nate said:

This would have problematic consequences for certain meta. For example, it would generate a ton of ties when both sides last the entire fight.
    Huh ? If both sides last the entire fight, it will just be 1-(120-120)/120 * Total score, which is just total score?

• Options

DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

Pro_Nate said:

Huh ? If both sides last the entire fight, it will just be 1-(120-120)/120 * Total score, which is just total score?

I might have misinterpreted that. I assumed, in the context of dealing with paused fights, that "fight time" in this formula measures how many seconds the player was actually in the fight, verses time spent paused, so that fights in which fight time was low would generate lower relative scores.

But if this formula is used globally, and not as a paused fight penalty, then it simply penalizes shorter fights. A fight that kills the defender in exactly 120 seconds scores the same score as it does now, while the same fight that defeats the defender while taking the same amount of damage but does so in sixty seconds would score half the points that it does now. Killing the defender faster would actually be a penalty, which doesn't make sense.

I'm assuming that's not the intent, and the formula intends to express some other idea.
  • Options
    phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,697 ★★★★★
    I'm seeing it due to the opponent drafting and selecting non DOT champs.

I'm guessing they realise quickly and hit the pause hoping that 15k might win the fight, its either accidental/lack of understanding or their overall roster is just not developed enough to fill out 30 spots so its loaded with suboptimal champs just hoping to outlast the other guy.
  • Options
    PT_99 said:

Would love to see where you found this stat!

That being said, the pause button can’t be removed but there needs to be a way to penalize pausing or switching the app causing a pause mid fight for too long. I get where the frustration comes for and agree it ain’t all fair and it shouldn’t be a strategy to win.
  • Options
    PT_99PT_99 Posts: 2,372 ★★★★★

PT_99 said:

99% of players don't play BG? Then why bother buffing the rewards
    Read again, you might understand what I was trying to saying, surely.
  • Options
    PT_99PT_99 Posts: 2,372 ★★★★★

PT_99 said:

Would love to see where you found this stat!

That being said, the pause button can’t be removed but there needs to be a way to penalize pausing or switching the app causing a pause mid fight for too long. I get where the frustration comes for and agree it ain’t all fair and it shouldn’t be a strategy to win.
    If you are losing because your opponent is pausing? Oh I got some news for you pal.
  • Options

Similar (but different) idea to one I just put in another “Pause complaint” post.

**Suggestion**

One idea would be to Lose an amount of Health based on the duration of your Pause.
    Takes effect once you resume (or fight times out, which doesn’t it sort of resume on it's own for a split second anyways it you had stayed paused until the end ?)

(A) Either you lose health at the rate of your Max Health / Max Fight time (120 sec) times # seconds you were paused.
    So pausing right away (when still at 100%) would cause you to end up at basically a tiny bit above 0% if you pause the entire fight.
    Otherwise, pausing for say 12 seconds would cause you to lose 10% of your Max Health (12 / 120).

(B) Or at least at half of that rate (Max Health / 240 * Paused Duration), so you could finish no better than 50% if paused the whole fight.

(C) Or, which would closer resemble what happens in AQ and some other content, make it at Half Rate of your CURRENT Health at the time you Pause. Pausing from beginning would still result in 50% at end. But if you Paused later in the fight, after being down some already, it gets treated like quitting in AQ where you just lose an additional 1/2 of where you are (if you end up staying Paused for the rest of the fight duration).

Resuming after just checking Nodes (or momentary interruption by kids, etc), would bring you down in Health according to the Rate above once you Resume. Which *may* (in the case of A or B above) cause you to be KO if you were already low on health, or (in case of C) would come back at 1/2 of where you were when you paused.
  • Options
    TerminatrixTerminatrix Posts: 1,281 ★★★★
    edited December 2023
    Pro_Nate said:

No. Some of us need to read what type of random buffs and debuffs are being applied during the fight. Some champs have a lot. There is no info button to read a champs abilities, especially if they're new and unfamiliar, so the pause is the next best thing we got so we can see what the hell is going on. And guess what? I don't read fast lol

Ex: first time I fought Gorr, I had to keep stopping to read what his "32" buffs and debuffs were, and see why I kept getting hit when I didn't see
    the usual "unblockable" symbol.

This is going to keep happening everytime they add new champs, or go up against champs we're not familiar with.

If Kabam needs to add something, it should be a "Skip sp 3" option. Sp 3's are long, time consuming, and shouldn't be in a timed fight.
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Pro_Nate said:

I say punish the pausers bc I’d rather get punished for the super rare accidental pause than allow players to exploit pausing. I’ve never accidentally paused or exited the game like that anyway.
  • Options
    GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★
    Sorry if that will sound offensive, but people instead of protesting about pause to be removed or changing the pointing system, they should focus on how they will end their matches above 15k points.
    If they can’t score above that, then pause isn’t their main problem.
    Understanding the meta and building a deck around it, is most likely the reason they are losing, to anyone who pause or crash the game intentionally 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    willrun4adonutwillrun4adonut Posts: 3,192 ★★★★★

Pro_Nate said:

No. Some of us need to read what type of random buffs and debuffs are being applied during the fight. Some champs have a lot. There is no info button to read a champs abilities, especially if they're new and unfamiliar, so the pause is the next best thing we got so we can see what the hell is going on. And guess what? I don't read fast lol

Ex: first time I fought Gorr, I had to keep stopping to read what his "32" buffs and debuffs were, and see why I kept getting hit when I didn't see
    the usual "unblockable" symbol.

This is going to keep happening everytime they add new champs, or go up against champs we're not familiar with.

If Kabam needs to add something, it should be a "Skip sp 3" option. Sp 3's are long, time consuming, and shouldn't be in a timed fight.
    I agreeing with you until the last paragraph.
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,552 ★★★★★
    edited December 2023
    Unpopular opinion, but pausing is a strategic option that limits downside while severely capping upside. It is also in some ways a calculated bet that the opponent is insufficiently skilled to score more than ~15K points.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Posts: 776 ★★★★
    DrZola said:

Unpopular opinion, but pausing is a strategic option that limits downside while severely capping upside. It is also in some ways a calculated bet that the opponent is insufficiently skilled to score more than ~15K points.

Dr. Zola

Interesting take. “The goal is to get more points than your opponent” doesn’t conflict with this take.

Don’t think I agree but interesting nonetheless.