**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Apocalypse VS Purify

OpandemonioOpandemonio Posts: 1,191 ★★★★
I'm extremely confused about the way Apoc's ability to decrease opponents purify abilities work.

I tested him against Zemo, Korg, Jabari and Mole Man.

He worked pretty well against Korg and Mole Man.

Now the way Zemo and Jabari work with purify is through Cleanse what seams to be working against Apoc's abilities since they are able to purify his debuffs anyways. At first I thought Cleanse were somehow different then Purify, but the ability description just states that it purifies debuffs so now I'm confused about how it actually works.

Is Cleanse somehow totally different from Purify, if not, why can't Apoc work around it?

P.s. I truly don't understand and I'm just looking for enlightenment from someone with the knowledge.

Comments

• Options
    MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,375 ★★★★★
    edited January 6
    I don't think that saying "Cleanse isn't a Purify" is sufficient detail for this question, @Pikolu

OP, this is a question that gets posed occasionally.

The confusion arises because there is an Ability called Purify and there is an effect, which is also called purify (which is what removes the debuffs).

It's a little confusing that their names are the same, so I'm trying to use Bold/Italics to help increase clarity...

You use the Ability "Purify" to generate the effect of purify.

You can also use the Ability "Cleanse" to activate the effect, purify.

Apocalypse reduces the Ability Accuracy of the Ability called "Purify". He doesn't interact with the effect, which is also called purify. He therefore can't interact with "Cleanse" at all, because it is a different Ability (even though it's effect it almost identical).

By contrast, Bishop interacts with the effect called purify. He therefore inflicts bursts of damage any time his opponent generated the Effect, purify; regardless of whether it was caused through the Ability Cleanse or the Ability, Purify.
  • Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 3,997 ★★★★★
    Let me simplify it for you.
    Apocalypse ability accuracy reduction will takes place the moment the debuff is inflicted on the opponent, that is, the exact moment you inflict parry stun.

What cleanse does is similar to stagger, it immediately remove the debuff, that is, the cleanse passive works before apocalypse's ability accuracy reduction comes.

Like when two contradictory actions occur at the same time like this case, we give a priority number to each action. Simply said, in this case cleanse has higher priority than apocalypse 's aar. So cleanse comes first.

I posted a thread previously about does kingpin and moleman with high purify accuracy can purify 100% concussion debuffs (such as quake's concussion). The answer is no, cuz it has more priority than their purification chance.
    But when you do the same against Shang chi or zemo, they'll easily purify it.
  • Options
    LordSmasherLordSmasher Posts: 1,362 ★★★★★
    PT_99 said:

Pikolu said:

Cleanse is not a purify. Cleanse was created specifically to counter Apoc.

So dumb.
    You create Apoc to counter purify then you create cleanse to counter Apoc countering purify, what the hell.
    Nah, its not dumb. Its to stop one champ being the be all and end all for countering an ability. Makes the game more diverse.
  • Options
    PT_99PT_99 Posts: 2,338 ★★★★★
    edited January 6

PT_99 said:

Pikolu said:

So dumb.
    You create Apoc to counter purify then you create cleanse to counter Apoc countering purify, what the hell.
    Nah, its not dumb. Its to stop one champ being the be all and end all for countering an ability. Makes the game more diverse.
    So now who counter cleanse?
    And who will counter the one who is countering the cleanse? And then who will counter that hero?
  • Options
    OrtounOrtoun Posts: 571 ★★★
    PT_99 said:

PT_99 said:

Pikolu said:

So dumb.
    And who will counter the one who is countering the cleanse? And then who will counter that hero?
    Bishop and Toad do, I think Havok does bit havent tested, to a lesser extent Storm X might, but only with stun.
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    PT_99 said:

Pikolu said:

So dumb.
    I agree. I hate that stagger and nullify are different too.
  • Options
    DemonicStalkerDemonicStalker Posts: 303 ★★
    Cleanse works the same as neutralize...

and y do ppl keep comparing stagger and nullify?

stagger is buff prevention, nullify is buff removal

stagger should be compared to neutralize...
  • Options

Anything illogical to prove someone wrong, very common these days.
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★

Neutralize is tranquilize
  • Options
    Ghost_DriverGhost_Driver Posts: 82
    PT_99 said:

PT_99 said:

Pikolu said:

So dumb.
    Yes, that's how the game should be. Not one champ can counter everything.
  • Options
    CaptainaidenCaptainaiden Posts: 796 ★★★
    Use toad for cleanse

Tips, taskmaster is good defender as long as opponent doesn't have power gain champs
  • Options
    Nameless_IWNameless_IW Posts: 980 ★★★★
    easy - the same way nullify and stagger do the same thing which is remove the opponent next buff. But some champs are immune to nullify and not stagger and some champs are immune to stagger but aren't to nullify. For instance Galan is immune to nullify but you can easily place stagger with Doctor Doom's heavy, etc.

So yeah. Cleanse and purify, do the same thing but are just different terms.

Typical Kabam.

LOL
  • Options
    ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,787 ★★★★★
    PT_99 said:

Pikolu said:

So dumb.
    That's how the game works. And almost any mmo/rpg works. Everything has a counter of some kind. If it doesn't, it eventually will.
  • Options
    Buttehrs said:

PT_99 said:

Pikolu said:

So dumb.
    That's how the game works. And almost any mmo/rpg works. Everything has a counter of some kind. If it doesn't, it eventually will.
    Yes I understand, said that in heat of moment after getting ass whooped by storm-x in Necro
  • Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 3,997 ★★★★★
    Bishop counters purification in the best way possible,change my mind.