**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

How much pain will I experience doing Necro with 6* R4 un-ascended Kate?

Hey guys - I became Paragon last week and immediately pulled Kate, so I took it as a sign that I should hit Necro before the 15th.

My Kate is R4 sig 200, and I don't have the resources to rank higher or ascend. I've been practicing on Titania and without any boosts I can get her down to about 65 - 70% before I die from being rooted, but I am getting better with that. I'm hoping with boosts and a few more days practices I can at least get below 50% on one revive. I've also bought a bunch of 8% skill special boosts to run along with the regular boosts.

I've seen videos and reports of others who've done the run with ascended R4 Kate, but I haven't seen anyone who has done it un-ascended. I guess I'm just looking for encouragement that it's not a fools errand. I've got 75 revives and 2,200 units in the bank.

I've also got unranked 6* Chavez for synergy, 7* R1 Wiccan (unawakened) and Prof X (awakened) as options for reverse control immune champs, 6* R4 ascended Herc potentially for Guardian, and Heimdall potentially for revive synergy. I have a Wong I could take to R4 (I've seen the guy who solo'd the whole thing itemless with just Wong), but am not sure his damage will be enough to make him a reasonable option?

So the team I'd likely run is:

6* Kate 4/55
7* Wiccan (unawakened) 1/25 or Prof X 1/25 (awakened)
6* Herc 4/55 (ascended)
6* Chavez (synergy)
5* Heimdall (synergy)

I know it's going to be hard, but without knowing anyone else's experience with R4 unawakened I'm worried I may underestimate how hard. Any thoughts or advice? Links to other useful videos / discussions I might not have seen would be welcomed also!

Comments

• Options
    SquirrelguySquirrelguy Posts: 2,638 ★★★★★

It’s not a fools errand to take her in r4 unascended. Mine was r4 unascended, sig 100, and no Chavez synergy, but also she wasn’t the only champ I was using (in total she ended up doing 35% of the total damage throughout the path, which was still the most compared to my second highest usage of 30% with Medusa) (Team was Medusa R5A, Hulkbuster 7r2, Kate r4, Void r4 and Wiccan r4)

Your skill with Kate will make a huge difference, probably (definitely) a bigger difference than rank does. Your ability to balance her trick arrows, heavy counters and everything else going on in the fight will affect a lot. She does counter most things in there very well, if you can. (If you can’t, rough) My Kate Skills are quite poor, I basically went to Bishop Bootcamp a few days before I did my path but I would have benefited from a lot more. It took me around 78 solo revives, 13 team (mostly spent throwing bodies at GM phase 3) and a liberal amount of potions, for resource reference.

Tl;dr painful but possible

I'll second Cat. SHe can still do work, you just need to budget for a bit more revives. The biggest suggestion I would give is to complete the lower event quests and buy maybe one of those bundles before you go in.

Also, Chavez can take the most painful part of the GM for me, which is the third phase. With her and ProfX, just be careful about picking your path (so that Kate can take most of it) and you could be fine. Kate effectiveness certainly depends on your skill though. Watch runs of people that use her a lot and make sure you know the best strategies for each fight and you should be fine.
  • Options
    RaganatorRaganator Posts: 2,507 ★★★★★
    edited January 11
    If you are doing the Titania path, don't underestimate Wiccan as an attacker. He can do Aarkus in a few revives and, if you struggle using kate against Omega Sentinel, can also be used for her. I would just make sure you are comfortable using kate for most of the fights (i.e., don't just practice against Titania, also practice against other defenders on the path you take).

For a lot of fights on that path, R5 Kate can solo, so if you are using a few more revives at r4, it shouldn't be egregious.
  • Options
    TheFifty9SoundTheFifty9Sound Posts: 23

Please atleast awaken nd invest your sigs in kate.
    Also there is100 dust just for side quest completion, so try to get it as well.
    Post your roster, you need doom for air walker.

Kate is awakened at sig 200. I have that 100 dust you mentioned, but still 100 short. I do have 6* Doom R4, but I was hoping to shut down Air Walker with Kate's Tranquilize.

Your skill with Kate will make a huge difference, probably (definitely) a bigger difference than rank does. Your ability to balance her trick arrows, heavy counters and everything else going on in the fight will affect a lot. She does counter most things in there very well, if you can.

I'm definitely putting in the practice. It's comforting to know that you took in an R4 also!

I'll second Cat. SHe can still do work, you just need to budget for a bit more revives. The biggest suggestion I would give is to complete the lower event quests and buy maybe one of those bundles before you go in.

Also, Chavez can take the most painful part of the GM for me, which is the third phase. With her and ProfX, just be careful about picking your path (so that Kate can take most of it) and you could be fine.

I'm not afraid to bust out unit man.. I just don't want to overwork him. :D I'll take a look at Chavez, but I'm not sure I can get her to R4 in time. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Raganator said:

If you are doing the Titania path, don't underestimate Wiccan as an attacker. He can do Aarkus in a few revives and, if you struggle using kate against Omega Sentinel, can also be used for her. I would just make sure you are comfortable using kate for most of the fights (i.e., don't just practice against Titania, also practice against other defenders on the path you take).

Wiccan was a recent pull, so I'll look into that further also! Your note about the other defenders is actually another thing I'm anxious about. I've somewhat of a "returning" player. I swing back in every few years. So there are a lot of defenders there I haven't put the hours in against. So... more homework I guess!
  • Options
    Also...is your username a reference to The Gaslight Anthem, or something else?
  • Options
    GhostboytjieGhostboytjie Posts: 2,209 ★★★★★
    I used a r4 unascended kate. And she got a solo
  • Options
    Raganator said:

Also...is your username a reference to The Gaslight Anthem, or something else?

The Gaslight Anthem, my friend! The first guitar my father bought me 20+ years ago had a Little '59 pickup in it also, so "the 59 sound" kind of a double meaning to me :)

Speaking of music, that's music to my ears!
  • Options
    Hell yeah. That's awesome. Top 5 all time album for me.
  • Options

I just thought to ask - How much were you taking off Titania in practice before going for the run?
  • Options
    MarrzzMarrzz Posts: 4

Well...im running with an r4 unascended aegon..

i did the same and only took around 110ish revives

• Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 3,997 ★★★★★
    The issue with kate is she takes some time to ramp up.
    At r5 ascended, 3 regular coldsnaps with no fragilities or anything, just 3 sp1 can deal 12k per tick.
    Even when using kate, unless you are the msd himself, you would want to brute force through the content as well.

Also don't underestimate air walker, you gotta have only two tries nd if you mess up, you'll need 10 revs atleast.

Also wong is really useful in apocalypse path, but i donno how a 6* will work.

You don't have much time left either, so spend your entire stash on this and get it done by 15
  • Options
    Suros_moonSuros_moon Posts: 454 ★★★
    Hard to say. My first run was with Kate at r4 but ascended and it took 28 revives total (most of which were from not bringing a reverse control immune champ to GM). If you’re a good player it won’t stop you
  • Options
    For the record, now that my run is complete I can honestly say “profound sadness” is a great way to describe my experience 😂

If they gave a special title for most deaths in one run, I’m sure I’d be a candidate. I dwarfed even some of the bigger numbers I’ve seen reported here. On reflection it’s kind of hilarious, but I was so worried about learning all the fight details, Kate mechanics, and budgeting for revives, I just never worried about checking my stash of regular old attack and health boosts. Generally speaking they’re just always there when I need them.

But I guess I went through more boosts than I realised on the road to Paragon. That left me with very little margin for error. I hadn’t farmed that many health pots, so going into fights with basically 25k-ish health was rough.

I mentioned in an early comment, but I’m kind of a returning player. With the exception of CAIW, all the champs on this path came out in the years I wasn’t playing. I don’t have the muscle memory built up for evading specials etc, so block damage along with getting clipped a lot was a big killer without that extra 30% + 20% health. Not having the attack boosts made the fights slower, leading to more deaths. I purchased some of the lesser boosts, but they just don’t last that long, so I ended up forgoing those and preferring to use units for revives.

So for future poorly skilled summoners like myself, if you want to take an un-ascended, R4 Kate into Necro, let my experience be a lesson: Check your boost stash, don’t be a garbage player, and be prepared for pain!

I guess at the end of the day I just wasn’t adequately prepared, but I’m glad it’s done 😊
  • Options
    AzKicker316AzKicker316 Posts: 2,276 ★★★★★
    edited January 15
    Great job, especially for all those deaths!

Hopefully your completion rewards ease your pain just a bit!
  • Options
    LeoZedLeoZed Posts: 653 ★★★

For the record, now that my run is complete I can honestly say “profound sadness” is a great way to describe my experience 😂

If they gave a special title for most deaths in one run, I’m sure I’d be a candidate. I dwarfed even some of the bigger numbers I’ve seen reported here. On reflection it’s kind of hilarious, but I was so worried about learning all the fight details, Kate mechanics, and budgeting for revives, I just never worried about checking my stash of regular old attack and health boosts. Generally speaking they’re just always there when I need them.

But I guess I went through more boosts than I realised on the road to Paragon. That left me with very little margin for error. I hadn’t farmed that many health pots, so going into fights with basically 25k-ish health was rough.

I mentioned in an early comment, but I’m kind of a returning player. With the exception of CAIW, all the champs on this path came out in the years I wasn’t playing. I don’t have the muscle memory built up for evading specials etc, so block damage along with getting clipped a lot was a big killer without that extra 30% + 20% health. Not having the attack boosts made the fights slower, leading to more deaths. I purchased some of the lesser boosts, but they just don’t last that long, so I ended up forgoing those and preferring to use units for revives.

So for future poorly skilled summoners like myself, if you want to take an un-ascended, R4 Kate into Necro, let my experience be a lesson: Check your boost stash, don’t be a garbage player, and be prepared for pain!

I guess at the end of the day I just wasn’t adequately prepared, but I’m glad it’s done 😊

Don't worry buddy, there was a guy who took VTD for the whole run. Not sure how many revives he spent
  • Options
    MarvelNoobMarvelNoob Posts: 901 ★★★★

Please atleast awaken nd invest your sigs in kate.
    Also there is100 dust just for side quest completion, so try to get it as well.
    Post your roster, you need doom for air walker.

Kate easily soloes air walker.