**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Winter of Woe Community Chat [MERGED THREADS]

Comments

• Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,254 ★★★★★
    *I do have QS, he's Unranked.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,690 Guardian
    DrZola said:

DNA3000 said:

jdschw said:

Kabam Jax said:

Summoners aren't meant to get high rewards for literally nothing. (don't say time; that isn't a relevant resource in the game's economical balance).

I find this to be a fascinating observation.
    @Kabam Jax if this is true, then why do arenas exist?

As far as I can tell, the purpose of arenas is to give players a way to trade time for resources. As long as you're winning most of your fights, arenas don't cost any in-game resource. It just costs time.

Of course, arenas don't have "high rewards". So maybe player time *is* an implied resource - just, one with low value in the game's economy.

(Please understand, i intend no malice here. This post is not sarcastic. I just saw this quote and it really got me thinking about the value of our time in this game.)
    Jax is not a game economy designer and was speaking colloquially about this specific situation, and overgeneralized.

The more complex and nuanced issue relates to game balance, and what it even is. Most people talk about game balance like it is a thing, but it actually refers to relationships between things. A thing can’t be balanced, it can only be balanced against other things.

The arena is intended to be a grinding activity that rewards time spent. Skill plays a role, but it is a relatively minor role. Optimal play in the arena might increase your rewards by 50% compared to the average case, but there’s no way to, say, use skill to triple your rewards, or increase them by a factor of ten. Skill is not a major balancing factor in the arena, so its influence is deliberately muted.

Challenge content like the so-called Everest content is designed to be the opposite. The goal is to provide a skill hurdle for rewards. No amount of time is intended to “earn” anything. The arena is designed to allow players to trade their time for arena rewards. Winter of Woe is not designed to trade time for its rewards. So the answer to the question “shouldn’t I get something for the time I spend in Winter of Woe” is no. Just like the answer to the question “shouldn’t I get a lot more rewards in the arena if I am a lot more skilled” is also, no.

And the answer to the question “well, why can’t everything be dependent on time and skill” the answer is, to radically simplify a completely different subject, because there’s no valid exchange relationship between the two. It takes a certain amount of skill to become the top finisher in Battlegrounds or Alliance War. How much time corresponds to that level of skill, such that if I spend more time than that the game should consider me to have expended more effort to reach those goals? There is no answer to that question. And that’s true, at least for this game and these developers, for lots of other rewards. There’s no amount of time that equates to the effort required to become Valiant, or to earn a T4A, or gain an Abyss Nexus. Grinding for rewards, ala the arena, is a special case situation the devs carefully regulate, where they have decided that this much time equals this much rewards.

Every thing in the game has a complex set of balance relationships between them that correspond to how the game values them in different circumstances. But that doesn’t mean you can just trade anything for anything else. Those exchange opportunities are limited. And player time is similarly limited; it can’t be traded for stuff arbitrarily, The arena, and other grinding opportunities, are the exchange portal for player time. And for that matter, so is cash. Cash also cannot be arbitrarily traded for things on the game. It is the game stores that are the portal to exchange cash for certain in-game things, including units.

Unfortunately, this can open an indefinite descending Matryoshka doll of issues. Why are exchange opportunities limited? Availability distributions. Why are those the way they are? Player behavioral range accommodation. Game economy discussions are never simple, and wading into them is hazardous territory, even at the best of times. And these are not the best of times.
    When it takes seven paragraphs to try to mitigate an awful foot-in-mouth gaffe, that’s a bad sign. I’m less concerned about what one of the game’s mouthpieces says than I am about whether it was something overheard frequently from the devs.

Dr. Zola
    To be candid, all game economy discussions require a ton of verbiage, especially in hostile environments. If the notion is that everything should be expressible in short simple statements, the devs should simply never address any economy questions or issues, ever. Even when I’m discussing economy issues with the actual professionals in friendly environments, it often takes more words to cover the subject than would be necessary to put people to sleep on the forums (Brian Grant and I have a reputation of doing just that repeatedly on the Discord). That’s why it is so dangerous for anyone to say anything, and why you’ll probably never see a game economy AMA for this game on a public forum in your lifetime.

It might seem borderline condescending to say that a topic requires more nuance than most people are willing to accept, but the fact is I’m the only idiot still trying regularly and the general reception is consistent and obvious.
  • Options
    Sw0rdMasterSw0rdMaster Posts: 1,729 ★★★★
    Nescio said:

Viv doesn't work only because her main damage is instant incinerate which the nodes stop and you still have to play around unstoppable too much

@BeroMan did it and thanks to him for the tip, i managed to do it to.
    https://youtu.be/FRSx8j32cuA?si=RtQ3tRu4SHm3ndN8
  • Options
    Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,311 ★★★★★

What are you working with? Is it possible to post your roster? We may be able to suggest potential options. If you can afford to rank QS, he may be a way to get the first completion and 2 points. If you fully boost and ascend your 5* hulk, you may be able to get it done with 10-12 revives. You have to parry heavy at the beginning to switch to energy damage mode and then play conservatively till you have just under a bar of power. Stun lock him and go to town. By the time you are done, he should have sp3 ready and KO you. Revive and repeat. If you are lucky then you won’t have any healing since technically abs man shouldn’t throw any specials. Just be careful throwing sp1 while he is unstoppable.
  • Options
    Graves_3 said:

What are you working with? Is it possible to post your roster? We may be able to suggest potential options. If you can afford to rank QS, he may be a way to get the first completion and 2 points. If you fully boost and ascend your 5* hulk, you may be able to get it done with 10-12 revives. You have to parry heavy at the beginning to switch to energy damage mode and then play conservatively till you have just under a bar of power. Stun lock him and go to town. By the time you are done, he should have sp3 ready and KO you. Revive and repeat. If you are lucky then you won’t have any healing since technically abs man shouldn’t throw any specials. Just be careful throwing sp1 while he is unstoppable.
    I'll give it a go. Thanks.
  • Options
    Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,311 ★★★★★

Graves_3 said:

I'll give it a go. Thanks.
    There was a typo in my previous message. I meant play conservatively until you just under 2 bars of power. Rest is as I wrote.
  • Options
    I caught that. Stun lock. Thanks.
  • Options
    TeddersTedders Posts: 128 ★★
    I was able to get all the objectives this week. I think the fight was a bit too unforgiving with the over the top regen rates and the limited amount of champs...but what I didn't appreciate was how bugged the fight was and how long it took for responses from Kabam. I hope in the future they will pin the known bugs to the top of the forums so we don't have to dig through posts.. I can only imagine how painful using a bugged Warlock was to do this fight and the Sandman root heavy interaction is just strange. Overall I liked the challenge but I hope that this will be the hardest fight not the easiest
  • Options
    Grub88Grub88 Posts: 195 ★★
    You would think the harder fights would be closer to the end like in all other content, lets keep hoping though
  • Options
    GrO_ot78GrO_ot78 Posts: 370 ★★
    Got him down with R4 200 sig Void, fully boosted. Spam sp 1, no regen, a few revives, done 🫡

• Options
    Standardman1989Standardman1989 Posts: 536 ★★★
    We still don't have the answer for the additional point when it is relevant. I finished with Hulk but only 2 points
  • Options
    PistolcuApaPistolcuApa Posts: 110
    I've done the robot task with r4 viv vision ascended. Took me 15 revives because the bloody ai did not want to co-operate. 1st run was with hitmonkey 5 revives. With the free point they're awarding, 20 revives ain't so bad for 2 t6bc and 2 t3a. Or is it? Used like 10 stashed energy refills.
  • Options
    MalchaeisMalchaeis Posts: 174 ★★
    For anybody stuck and can't solo him, there is a way to chip damage him. It's not an ideal way by any means but it can work if you have revives. Usually around 50% health, his regen can completely overwhelm your advancement if you die and restart the fight. He will only start to regen once he throws his first special. Using just level 1 revives, try to do as much damage as you can and try not to bait his specials. If Using she hulk, just do the fight normally (parry heavy attack to add slow etc.) and use your special 1. Hold block after it and usually he will dash in. Intercept him either with a light attack or a dash of your own if your fast enough. Can try to get a heavy in by charging it but Brute force might kill you before he throws his special. But as long as you die before or to the special he won't regen much. Can chip 3-9% health or more off depending on the AI or your skill a revive. Like I said it's not ideal but an option.