New Carrina's challenges thoughts?

Comments

• Fred1Fred1 Member Posts: 37
    There as a lot to do and all arriving at the same time... even if it's a permanent content it's really too much.

Everybody is speaking about skills but at these point of difficulty it's no more that... I'm happy that CPP members have their own "challenge" but the focus should be the pleasure to open the game to have something "new". Making content harder and harder is going always in the same direction !

I remember the challenge with 2*... this was innovative (and also difficult but doable with < 20 revives). But for sure it's easier to make difficult challenges than innovative ones.

And to be clear, i do not hate the designers, kabam, the ccp members... only the directions it takes wrt the game "pleasure" !
  • Wicket329Wicket329 Member Posts: 3,322 ★★★★★

Wicket329 said:

TrongNov said:

Hilldar said:

Many of you should be embarrassed by your behavior. It’s optional content. The deathless piece is easy to get with one of the lags challenges. That’s fair of them to set it up that way.
    The rest of it is up to you. Is it hard? Yes. Are the rewards to difficulty in line? Absolutely not. Are the 7* champs you get at the end amazing, top tier champs? Not in my opinion.
    I did one challenge and I’m done for now. I don’t think the rest is worth it and am saving items and units for 8.4. That’s my choice.
    The whining and crying from a large chunk of this player base is embarrassing. The attacks on the creators is shameful.

Grow up man.

So that is the new standard for new content?..
    Base everything on the ability of acquiring a piece of a deathless champ?...Its gonna be a long long 2 years then...
    But why do a lot of ppl here think they have to complete all those unfun challenges? Let's say Kabam fails to deliver the fun aspect this time, I do agree with that though then okay just choose the easiest challenge and grab the deathless piece and ignore the rest. Constructive criticisms are welcome, which can be done in 1 or 2 comments but many ppl here choose to spend all day complaining walls and walls of words. I mean is it really that serious, don't they don't have anything else more important to do? This is just a mobile game, this challenge is completely optional, if it's not fun then don't play it.
    Oh ffs...ITS NOT ABOUT HAVING TO DO THEM, its about not having MUCH TO OTHER THAN this type of stuff, and IF this is what its expected from now on we are going to have 2 very long years until all deatlhless pieces come out and they have to find other way to deliver...
    Its says it right there
    "So that is the new standard for new content?..
    Base everything on the ability of acquiring a piece of a deathless champ?...Its gonna be a long long 2 years then.."
    Why do you guys keep on adding stuff as if it was a wish well?... One guy saying do just the Lagacy ones.. another asking why do people think they have to do all of them... People treat post like ad-libs
    It hasn’t even been two weeks! We’ve had one (1) WoW fight that we have no idea if it’ll be representative of the difficulty level going forward (but reason to believe it won’t be because Kabam straight said they missed the mark on it), and now these Carina’s Challenges that were originally slated to drop back in October and are permanent so it really, really should not matter around what other content they release.

I have no idea how you can say there’s not much to do other than this. This game is so full of content that I have to choose to skip stuff for lack of time. AQ, AW, EQ, SQ, Battlegrounds, Incursions, Arena grinding, and these are just the constants. There was Necropolis that kept me busy into January, 7 for 7 which I only just got around to doing, the Deathless Guillotine Act 8 challenge, and then on the horizon we’ve got 8.4 about to hit. Every single piece of content in 2023 and 2022 and going even further back was extremely approachable to the bulk of the playerbase, with only EOP kind of being a challenge but not really because you could just Herc through half of it.

The last pieces of content that weren’t just an inevitability were either The Maze or the CMM Gauntlet Challenge (can’t remember which came first). I like looking at a piece of content and saying “I don’t know if I can do this, but I’m gonna try,” and that feeling has been missing for a long time until now.

Now we get parts of two different pieces of content that ratchet up the difficulty and people are saying “WELL I GUESS THIS IS FOREVER NOW.” And yes, parts. Everybody seems to agree that Lagacy’s challenges are fine, and we’ve had like 1/8th of WoW so far.

I’m not saying people need to agree with me or that this content is perfect. There are lots of extremely valid critiques I’ve seen on these forums (like including rank up gems for the champions in the selectors, that’s a genuinely good idea). But like, this is so obviously not “the new standard for content.” This is an anomaly. It is outside the norm.

And, unfortunately, because of the grotesque community reaction, I would be surprised if we ever get challenge content again. If I were a Kabam employee in charge of WoW or the future seasonal content who saw the death threats and other garbage hate being directed to the designers of this content, I’d scrub the whole thing. We’re not worth the trouble.
    Really.. 2 pieces.... There is plenty to do?...are you really gonna include the most monotonous and repetitive mods like AQ and Incursions? EQ?...Arena?!... Yeah that's some really exciting stuff...I can't wait for tomorrow 10 am PST to do the new arena, I am looking so foward...
    The only piece that I might do with some kinda excitement based on the result of the tune down might be Raids; even that had a rough start didn't it? And what was the answer? ITS NOT FOR EVERYONE, and people defended that idea EVEN with bugs that reset charges. So i guess its not just 2 things in 2 weeks...also lets not pretend that this things are prepared 1 week in advance. This content has been prepared and ready for a while and now is being tuned. Some people even said that this challenges were supposed to be out back in October and looking at the rewards, it makes total sense. They even admited having to "change" something comming up due to the backlash on this challenges...
    You can tell there is plenty to do (lol) to a 1-2 maybe even a 3 year player.. I got close 9... Expect me to get excited for every Arena, AQ rotation?.. Enjoy AW with a completely busted tactic (which was tuned down as well if I am not wrong)...
    Yay lets do another 25 rooms of sector 6...get me 400k artifacts to get me another crystal with a pool of 5 or 6 champs..
    You really believe that there is PLENTY to do... Good for you
    Hmmm, fascinating. It almost sounds as if you’re saying that there’s always been content in the game that’s not directed towards you and isn’t for everyone. But that can’t be right, that would undercut your entire argument! The only difference is that you’re used to being so far above the content that it’s boring, as opposed to the current situation.

I don’t think people are understanding the “this isn’t directed at you” idea properly. It’s not (always) a “you aren’t ready for this” comment. Some people don’t like Incursions. That content isn’t directed at them, yet there are Incursions exclusive 7* champions that are in high demand (looking at you, Hulkbuster). Some people don’t like AW. That content isn’t directed at them, yet there are loyalty exclusive 7* champions in high demand (Black Cat, for example). Kabam has been gating new 7* releases behind different areas of the game that are not for everybody practically since 7* launch, and nobody’s had an aneurysm over it. This is no different.

Also, I don’t think you want to start comparing account progress as a justification for your position. Everybody here is in a different spot, some bigger some smaller. Being a nine year account is not unique.
  • Bugmat78Bugmat78 Member Posts: 2,341 ★★★★★
    edited February 19

Nah I like the challanges except zemo.
    For someone who have nothing to do in game, who just logs in to use energy and do 3 rounds of BG every 2 days, these challanges gave somthing to work towards.

NAGASE just posted a Zemo run with 6r3 + 5*R5.
    @nagase you're the man 👊💪

I'm gonna follow through with the same. Finally, I'm not obliged to r4 overhype good for nothing Baromid Zemidmo. Yay
    My resources will happily go to OGBW, cause I wanted to. Not because someone was compensating for overhyping a champ then forcing them to use.
    I'll gladly spend extra units on revives for this.

This made me a bit relieved, shows not everyone want to waste resources on champs they don't like. Upgrading a champ to r3 is not even problematic anymore. All my champs I'm going to use in mike Avengers challange r3 except ogbw.
    I have plenty absolutely obsolete 7*s, the kings and queens of mid tier, wouldnt have minded pulling a 7* Hawkeye ngl 😆. He definitely comes handy.
    Thats another point I mentioned in some chat was that gauntlet is pre 6r3 content. Many players used 5*s back then. It can be done. With Revives, boosts, masteries, even class boosts. Planning is key.

*Bad word with f* Zemo. Hurrrray.🎉🥳

No one has said it can't. Back then the resources ppl used with there 5/65 ideal counters was worth it, as those rewards were meta. These aren't even if you have gauntlet keys (I have 2) and the only think really worth goign for (personally) are the 7* selectors. The rank up gem is very nice but not a must.

But atm not worth it for me to try to do all 6 with all the other content with more meta rewards like Winter of Woe and 8,.4 coming. I might try the avengers as I have quite a few at 6r3 or 7r1/7r2 (OG IM) and Zemo won't go past 6r4 if I do that. Mojo already at 6r4 (was an AW defender/BG boss back then) and my tigra is 6r5 and I can ascend her.

Still, the amount of resources to do each of the 4 harder ones together doesn't equate to me, especially as I have 6r4 versions of each champ in that selector I can ascend at a much cheaper cost if I actually need them for more meta champ-gated content.

By the time that it's not relevant (ascension) these challenges will probably be easier too if I do need the 7* versions.
  • Wicket329Wicket329 Member Posts: 3,322 ★★★★★

Wicket329 said:

Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

H3t3r said:

Crcrcrc said:

Wicket329 said:

TrongNov said:

Hilldar said:

Many of you should be embarrassed by your behavior. It’s optional content. The deathless piece is easy to get with one of the lags challenges. That’s fair of them to set it up that way.
    The rest of it is up to you. Is it hard? Yes. Are the rewards to difficulty in line? Absolutely not. Are the 7* champs you get at the end amazing, top tier champs? Not in my opinion.
    I did one challenge and I’m done for now. I don’t think the rest is worth it and am saving items and units for 8.4. That’s my choice.
    The whining and crying from a large chunk of this player base is embarrassing. The attacks on the creators is shameful.

Grow up man.

So that is the new standard for new content?..
    Base everything on the ability of acquiring a piece of a deathless champ?...Its gonna be a long long 2 years then...
    But why do a lot of ppl here think they have to complete all those unfun challenges? Let's say Kabam fails to deliver the fun aspect this time, I do agree with that though then okay just choose the easiest challenge and grab the deathless piece and ignore the rest. Constructive criticisms are welcome, which can be done in 1 or 2 comments but many ppl here choose to spend all day complaining walls and walls of words. I mean is it really that serious, don't they don't have anything else more important to do? This is just a mobile game, this challenge is completely optional, if it's not fun then don't play it.
    Oh ffs...ITS NOT ABOUT HAVING TO DO THEM, its about not having MUCH TO OTHER THAN this type of stuff, and IF this is what its expected from now on we are going to have 2 very long years until all deatlhless pieces come out and they have to find other way to deliver...
    Its says it right there
    "So that is the new standard for new content?..
    Base everything on the ability of acquiring a piece of a deathless champ?...Its gonna be a long long 2 years then.."
    Why do you guys keep on adding stuff as if it was a wish well?... One guy saying do just the Lagacy ones.. another asking why do people think they have to do all of them... People treat post like ad-libs
    It hasn’t even been two weeks! We’ve had one (1) WoW fight that we have no idea if it’ll be representative of the difficulty level going forward (but reason to believe it won’t be because Kabam straight said they missed the mark on it), and now these Carina’s Challenges that were originally slated to drop back in October and are permanent so it really, really should not matter around what other content they release.

I have no idea how you can say there’s not much to do other than this. This game is so full of content that I have to choose to skip stuff for lack of time. AQ, AW, EQ, SQ, Battlegrounds, Incursions, Arena grinding, and these are just the constants. There was Necropolis that kept me busy into January, 7 for 7 which I only just got around to doing, the Deathless Guillotine Act 8 challenge, and then on the horizon we’ve got 8.4 about to hit. Every single piece of content in 2023 and 2022 and going even further back was extremely approachable to the bulk of the playerbase, with only EOP kind of being a challenge but not really because you could just Herc through half of it.

The last pieces of content that weren’t just an inevitability were either The Maze or the CMM Gauntlet Challenge (can’t remember which came first). I like looking at a piece of content and saying “I don’t know if I can do this, but I’m gonna try,” and that feeling has been missing for a long time until now.

Now we get parts of two different pieces of content that ratchet up the difficulty and people are saying “WELL I GUESS THIS IS FOREVER NOW.” And yes, parts. Everybody seems to agree that Lagacy’s challenges are fine, and we’ve had like 1/8th of WoW so far.

I’m not saying people need to agree with me or that this content is perfect. There are lots of extremely valid critiques I’ve seen on these forums (like including rank up gems for the champions in the selectors, that’s a genuinely good idea). But like, this is so obviously not “the new standard for content.” This is an anomaly. It is outside the norm.

And, unfortunately, because of the grotesque community reaction, I would be surprised if we ever get challenge content again. If I were a Kabam employee in charge of WoW or the future seasonal content who saw the death threats and other garbage hate being directed to the designers of this content, I’d scrub the whole thing. We’re not worth the trouble.
    Really.. 2 pieces.... There is plenty to do?...are you really gonna include the most monotonous and repetitive mods like AQ and Incursions? EQ?...Arena?!... Yeah that's some really exciting stuff...I can't wait for tomorrow 10 am PST to do the new arena, I am looking so foward...
    The only piece that I might do with some kinda excitement based on the result of the tune down might be Raids; even that had a rough start didn't it? And what was the answer? ITS NOT FOR EVERYONE, and people defended the fact that idea EVEN with bugs that reset charges. So i guess its not just 2 things in 2 weeks...also lets not pretend that this things are prepared 1 week in advance. Some people even said that this challenges were supposed to be out back in October and looking at the rewards, it makes total sense. They even admited having to "change" something comming up due to the backlash on this challenges...
    You can tell there is plenty to do (lol) to a 1-2 maybe even a 3 year player.. I got close 9... Expect me to get excited for every Arena, AQ rotation?.. Enjoy AW with a completely busted tactic (which was tuned down as well if I am not wrong)...
    Yay lets do another 25 rooms of sector 6...get me 400k artifacts to get me another crystal with a pool of 5 or 6 champs..
    You really believe that there is PLENTY to do... Good for you
    I'm at 9 and a half years played right now, we have:

1. WoW and it's objectives every 2 weeks
    2. Event incursions for free 7* shards
    3. A whole side quest to do daily
    4. All tiers of eq and the paragauntlet
    5. A set of carina's challenges to be practicing
    6. Battlegrounds
    7. Maybe just some miscellaneous practice, might help you out a little with all the complaining
    8. Any various permanent content you don't have at 100%
    This doesn't include AW, AQ, Raids, Arena for units, a daily run of the apothecary, etc

Of all the months to say there is nothing to do you have got to have picked the worst one.
    1- completely Busted WoW fight.
    2- so they replace incursions and sprinkled something wow...
    3- whole SQ for doing daily... You mean the busted one with the disappearing keys?
    4- EQs are we even calling those content anymore?
    5- Set of carina challenges.. aren't we discussing this?
    6- Battlegrounds, outdated rewards not even woeth doing more than 48hr objectives.
    7- I'm guessing this related to the new Carina Challenges?
    8- just have a few paths of Necro and the reason of not doing it?.. They might even toss a deathless piece into it.. they said it wont be soon but there is 3 more champs to come which is a pretty long time..
    You are trying really hard when you put the apothecafy as a piece of content to do rofl..
    I picked the worst month.. I think half of the stuff you mentioned I can auto fight..
    Lets get more and more content to autofight!
    And keep on making content that is not for everyone..
    There's plenty of things to do in this game. It's not kabams fault if you don't want to do any of those things.
    Another lemming assuming... Why do people pretend everyone is in the exact same situation as the other person posting?..
    There is plenty to do maybe FOR YOU..
    It doesnt mean I dont do them, they feel like chores.
    If the game feels like a chore that’s a you problem dude, and you should take that into consideration when ranting on here so you can spare us from it.
    I am just expressing myself you don't have an obligation to read me and even less to answer to me.
    Stop assuming I am in the same situation as you are and I have plenty of stuff to do just because you do it...
    I don't have the need to do all levels of EQ lol if you do that's actually on you.. its not quality content.. its farming things you need. Stop lying to youself you are doing it out of need not enjoyment.
    I didn't say the game was a chore, I said certain parts of it, and unfortunately if one wants to be in an alliances they have to give in.
    Need? I only do what I enjoy. I actually just left my alliance because I didn’t like aw, I’m not gonna force myself through any content I don’t find fun.

Take your own advice and stop assuming I’m in the same situation as you.

If you don’t want to do all the content available that’s fine, but you don’t get to say there’s nothing to do when there is a ton to do. That is objectively false.

You are definitely not at the same pace I am...
    I mean there is arena to farm units...all those CM and 4th unit sales..you have been playing longer than I have...
    Did you really try to tell me about Necropolis exploration?...
    Yeah there is plenty to do for YOU...
    How are you going to tell me about all the modes available to play when you are not even in an alliance...
    Can’t help but notice that you decided to look up @Crcrcrc so you could condescend to him. Very big of you. Did you try doing the same to me too? He and I have been making the same points, but he’s the only one catching flak for some reason, how bizarre.
    Condesce?.. you find that condecending?, well I am sorry if it looks that way, to me it looks like Someone was trying to tell me I got tons of stuff to do when the other person hasn't...I mean 9 and a half year player barely new Paragon.. trying to tell me I choose not to do stuff?...You and him have been making the same point BUT you just replied 1 time didn't you?...
    Now lets move on to you...
    "Hmmm, fascinating. It almost sounds as if you’re saying that there’s always been content in the game that’s not directed towards you and isn’t for everyone. But that can’t be right, that would undercut your entire argument! The only difference is that you’re used to being so far above the content that it’s boring, as opposed to the current situation"
    What does that even mean? Rofl...I used to be so far up above?.. Yeah USED TO so much that i find this challenges pointless between investment and reward?...
    So we are discussing the way NEW CONTENT is being handled.. and you are going to bring AQ, AW, EQ and incursions? Rofl...Yeah maybe I Used to be so far above ... maybe that's why 5k 7* shards and a profile pic doesn't excite me so much.. specially at the ridiculous cost of difficulty, resources and such...Yay new arena starts today.. SO EXCITING.
    I don’t mean this in a rude way, is English not your first language? You’re locking onto the phrase “used to” as if I am using it to describe a previous state that you are no longer in, rather than how I intended it to mean that it is a position to which you are accustomed. I could see that being a result of a language barrier, and would explain how you are misunderstanding what people have been saying to you.

Anyway, now you’re saying you have a problem with the rewards. That is directly contradictory to what you’ve said previously. If you find the rewards not worth the effort… don’t put in the effort. That’s how I feel about pushing the Gladiator’s Circuit in BGs, so I usually just knock out the VT each season and chill from there. I don’t come on the forums and petition for the Gladiator’s Circuit to be abolished and that we should never have it again and that anybody who enjoys it should feel bad.

I really don't understand why I can't have my own opinion about new content been busted as hell, lack much to do, and been worried about the future of it lol

You are 100% entitled to your opinion, nobody’s stopping you from having it. But you posted that opinion publicly to a discussion forum, and so it is being discussed.
  • BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Member Posts: 2,019 ★★★★★
    @Fintech reporting back in after Mojo run… it was actually fun outside of a couple of fights. It’s nice that you can run a team of 3 mojos to benefit from team revives too. Warlock fight was still evil though. That felt more like pain than a challenge.

MODOK fight on the other hand was fun actually enjoyed that one.
  • Ming_Mow129Ming_Mow129 Member Posts: 53
    Yeah but I don't get paid to do for them so believe what you want keep spending and just remember my post when exactly what I said happens. I don't need anyone to agree with me plus kabam couldn't afford me 🤣which is another reason bc they probably hired the cheapest data analysist to work for them. But hey goi ahead I'm just letting the people that know and understand what will happen if they don't turn it around
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,301 Guardian

Yeah but I don't get paid to do for them so believe what you want keep spending and just remember my post when exactly what I said happens. I don't need anyone to agree with me plus kabam couldn't afford me 🤣which is another reason bc they probably hired the cheapest data analysist to work for them. But hey goi ahead I'm just letting the people that know and understand what will happen if they don't turn it around

I might remember, and then again I might not. My memory is pretty good, but the number of people who have said "just remember me" over the last nine years has exceeded my ability to keep them all straight. Also, many of them aren't around anymore.

The fact that you don't get paid to do it justifies not actually doing any data analytics work. It doesn't justify claiming that just because you are a data analyst your judgments should be deemed credible even when you don't actually do any data analysis. A data analyst that doesn't do data analysis is just Bob, a guy with a random opinion. Your background as a data analyst only matters when you do good data analysis that can be read and reviewed.

I've done data analysis. I've done professional game design work. I've done systems engineering, software development, and a whole bunch of stuff I keep forgetting to put on my resume. But none of it matters unless I'm actually talking about those fields. I've done a lot of math, I've even taught math, but I still show my work. I've done game systems design, but when I make a game altering suggestion, I show my work. And when I just offer an off the cuff opinion without doing any work, I expect everyone to give it the same credence as Bob, the guy with an opinion about everything.

Anything else is a bit of overselling. And if you are actually a professional data analyst, you know what that always means when it comes to assessing the credibility of someone you've just met and know nothing else about.
  • WorldEaterWorldEater Member Posts: 16
    DNA3000 said:

I might remember, and then again I might not. My memory is pretty good, but the number of people who have said "just remember me" over the last nine years has exceeded my ability to keep them all straight. Also, many of them aren't around anymore.

The fact that you don't get paid to do it justifies not actually doing any data analytics work. It doesn't justify claiming that just because you are a data analyst your judgments should be deemed credible even when you don't actually do any data analysis. A data analyst that doesn't do data analysis is just Bob, a guy with a random opinion. Your background as a data analyst only matters when you do good data analysis that can be read and reviewed.

I've done data analysis. I've done professional game design work. I've done systems engineering, software development, and a whole bunch of stuff I keep forgetting to put on my resume. But none of it matters unless I'm actually talking about those fields. I've done a lot of math, I've even taught math, but I still show my work. I've done game systems design, but when I make a game altering suggestion, I show my work. And when I just offer an off the cuff opinion without doing any work, I expect everyone to give it the same credence as Bob, the guy with an opinion about everything.

Anything else is a bit of overselling. And if you are actually a professional data analyst, you know what that always means when it comes to assessing the credibility of someone you've just met and know nothing else about.
    So where's the Data analysis you run to back all of the claims you make on forums? By your logic, you're just another "Bob".
  • AshacekarAshacekar Member Posts: 1,967 ★★★★

LJF said:

It's sad to see Kabam employees sticking fingers into their ears with these incredibly defensive responses. It's evident from each of Miike, Crashed, and Jax's comments that they aren't interested in feedback from players about these challenges. I was going to come and offer some thoughts on why, as one of those players (arguably) that these challenges were designed for, these challenges miss the mark. But I'm not going to waste time giving constructive criticism to a willfully deaf audience. So good luck I guess, hope you guys are happy with how this all turns out.

We take feedback seriously and actually earlier today changed the design for an upcoming piece of content based on this feedback.
    Yay!!! The WoW Nebula will be good then
  • Matty_IceMatty_Ice Member Posts: 594 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

So where's the Data analysis you run to back all of the claims you make on forums? By your logic, you're just another "Bob".
    Sometimes, I am just a BoB.

Sometimes I'm Bill, the guy that actually tests things in the game.

But you asked about analysis. When I talk about the game economy, I do economic analysis. Unless I'm talking about ISO, in which case I really, really, really, really, really analyze the numbers.

But those are relatively small bits of data to be sure, even if they are sometimes exhausting to collect. When I address things like the drop rates of arena crystals, I can point to actual data because I collect it and can analyze both the average and statistical distribution of drops to address crystal manipulation suspicions.

Lost to time (and the forum software switch over) was the data collection and analysis I did to estimate the drop rate of the original featured crystals (I was the first to estimate the 20-25% drop rate) and the relative rarity drop rates of the PHC (I was the only one attempting a large scale analysis of those numbers using unbiased streamed crystal openings). And sometimes I only provide the outline of the calculation process, because if I articulated all of it every single time that would get ridiculous.

If you're looking for some gigantic data lake crunch, I can't say I've done that because that data is not available to the players in any reasonable form. However, I never claim to do such analysis either. I only claim to do the analysis required to validate the conclusions I produce, when I claim those conclusions are themselves data-driven or analysis-based. I could just say "I've done professional game design, just trust me" but I don't. If I'm going to suggest that parts of the game are broken, and how to fix them, I show my work. If I'm going to claim that a significant part of the game economy should be changed in a radical, almost unthinkable way, I articulate why.

No one is required to do any of this to provide feedback, or to discuss the game in general. I would not, and do not fault players for simply expressing their opinions, up to a point. However, once you bring resume into it, you should be held to a higher standard commensurate with that qualification. "I'm a data analyst trust me" should be backed up with some actual data analysis, or it is simply a longer way of saying "just trust me."
    This might be the best comeback I’ve ever seen on the forums.

P.S. how much time did it take you to link all your forum threads in there?
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,301 Guardian
    Matty_Ice said:

This might be the best comeback I’ve ever seen on the forums.

P.S. how much time did it take you to link all your forum threads in there?

Not too much. What i really wanted to find was that time some guy tried to refute something I said about the game revenue by quoting Google, and Google in turn was quoting me, but I forgot the context of that post.

That was a special day.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,489 ★★★★★

DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

Sometimes, I am just a BoB.

Sometimes I'm Bill, the guy that actually tests things in the game.

But you asked about analysis. When I talk about the game economy, I do economic analysis. Unless I'm talking about ISO, in which case I really, really, really, really, really analyze the numbers.

But those are relatively small bits of data to be sure, even if they are sometimes exhausting to collect. When I address things like the drop rates of arena crystals, I can point to actual data because I collect it and can analyze both the average and statistical distribution of drops to address crystal manipulation suspicions.

Lost to time (and the forum software switch over) was the data collection and analysis I did to estimate the drop rate of the original featured crystals (I was the first to estimate the 20-25% drop rate) and the relative rarity drop rates of the PHC (I was the only one attempting a large scale analysis of those numbers using unbiased streamed crystal openings). And sometimes I only provide the outline of the calculation process, because if I articulated all of it every single time that would get ridiculous.

If you're looking for some gigantic data lake crunch, I can't say I've done that because that data is not available to the players in any reasonable form. However, I never claim to do such analysis either. I only claim to do the analysis required to validate the conclusions I produce, when I claim those conclusions are themselves data-driven or analysis-based. I could just say "I've done professional game design, just trust me" but I don't. If I'm going to suggest that parts of the game are broken, and how to fix them, I show my work. If I'm going to claim that a significant part of the game economy should be changed in a radical, almost unthinkable way, I articulate why.

No one is required to do any of this to provide feedback, or to discuss the game in general. I would not, and do not fault players for simply expressing their opinions, up to a point. However, once you bring resume into it, you should be held to a higher standard commensurate with that qualification. "I'm a data analyst trust me" should be backed up with some actual data analysis, or it is simply a longer way of saying "just trust me."