**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

What are the steps to being in a higher alliance?

jcphillips7jcphillips7 Posts: 1,035 ★★★
I've been with my alliance for a few years now I suppose, I believe 2019/early 2020. We're a somewhat moderate alliance doing Map 6 and scoring around Gold 3 or 4. Some, like myself, are try-hards and some not so much (which is fine, albeit irritating at times). But for the past year or so, I've really gotten more into the game as a whole, and not just playing it leisurely. I watch vids, I watch livestreeam sometimes, I push myself to do more content than I ever thought possible, I visit the sub-Reddit, I..visit the forums daily now. I can probably attribute this to my sobriety, hah!

And with that came this want to push higher, and I know I honestly have the roster and adeptness for it now which I didn't have for many years. Honestly, I think the game was just more of an RNG vice for me in those earlier years.

So what does it actually take to achieve these types of goals in this game, with top-end alliances? I have a ex-military buddy (one I introduced the game to) who consistently seems to be in some of these alliances (I think his alliance placed top 10 during the Banquet alliance portion) and we still talk on the regular, and when I brought this up to him, all he could say was "You don't want that smoke.." and I was a bit offended, when I know my account runs circles around his. As if it's good enough for him, but I'm not at that level.

And maybe he's partially right. I say this due to a few points:

-I've never done Map 8. Is it still a coordiantion required nightmare?
-I may die a time or two in War, but even our AWs now aren't really planned, and besides "our" paths myself and alliance mates frequent, minibosses and above are usually a free-for-all, or getting backup to come in.
-I play enough BGs to get me into GC each season, but that's usually where I stop after 4-5 matches in to boost my numbers around season end.

So where is the starting step for all this? Find a low-Plat alliance, get used to all the 'new' workings and eventually move your way up to a better alliance?

The only thing problematic I can see with this is something similar that myself and numerous others witnessed during my time in the military: You have so many people sitting high and mighty that are comfortable in their spots (this would be your senior NCOs and officers in this scenario), that they'd refuse to step down, and because of this you had a severe lack of availability for anyone lower to progress and advance to fill those spots.

Anyways, thanks for listening to my Ted talk. This is just question I've been meaning to ask on here for a while but didn't really have the time to put my thoughts 'on paper.' I'm curious to see anyone else's thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    xLunatiXxxLunatiXx Posts: 1,144 ★★★★★
    I'd try a gold 1 first before going to plat. Gold 1 is still semi chill but requires coordination.
    Saying you die 1 or 3 times in gold 4 doesn't mean you will die the same in gold 1 or plat. Expect this number to increase. And it's not something you want in plat.
    For AQ, same, I'd just jump one map and try map 7 to have a feel. Map 7 requires full 10 people. With specific path identity.

So overall my advice is to jump higher but with steps. Don't skip. Gold 1 or plat 6. Plus I don't think officers would accept someone without experience above plat.

As for the lack of spots at the top, I don't think so, there's a big turnover except maybe for the master alliances
  • Options
    Hector_1475Hector_1475 Posts: 1,783 ★★★★★
    edited February 23
    There are no blanket statements. Define what you mean by "higher level alliance". Is it a higher AQ Map? Higher War? BG participation minimums? All of that or a part of that? There are alliances that are Plat for example but only do AQ Map 5, there are alliances that do the opposite combo and everything in between.

As a general advice I would suggest that you take small steps upwards. As said above, try a Gold 1 alliance (if higher tier war is what you want to do) and maybe Map 7. Before joining, I would also advice that you discuss extensively with the officers, to define specifically what they require from you to do, how they plan war, assign paths, minimum defender strength, how they taccle mini bosses, what death count is acceptable, items usage etc. The better for you and the better for them, the more you communicate these things before you joining.

And whatever anyone else is saying, you never really know until you try for yourself. Sometimes we move up and down levels of commitments to this game, until we find the spot / level we are comfortable with.

Good luck.
  • Options
    smdam38smdam38 Posts: 846 ★★★
    You guys have to be keyboarding. Like logging into this site on a computer?

Nobody is tapping that all out on a mobile device.
    Crazy.
  • Options
    Dab_westDab_west Posts: 122
    join some low plat ally, then maybe record urself doing war fights which u can use to maybe apply for high plat allies, then do the same once there and maybe u could apply for masters allies. Map 8 isnt that coordinated u just need to follow whatever paths are assigned to u. Some allies might want you to be at a minimum prestige, but if u dont want to be doing all that then just join a more war focused ally
  • Options
    Glassback said:

I die all the time in plat, I’m literally a hard carry and the best my alliance can find so if you could keep your availability on the down low, I’d appreciate it!

Hah, no worries man. I’m just spitballing.

Nepotism

This is probably a joke, but I feel there’s some truth do it. Obviously not familial relations, but the content creator community do seem to huddle up together.

• Options
    Couple of other good replies in here too. And probably the best strategy. Maybe I can convince some of my guys to start doing Map 7 to spice things up and go from there.

Some of the stuff we do now is just so lackluster that I see no benefit in utilizing mass resources for AW or things if I know we’re going to lose, and the season rewards are pitiful, so there’s no motivation to keep me at the top of my game.

Almost a feeling of being wasted when you have higher potential.
  • Options
    A_FungiA_Fungi Posts: 992 ★★★★
    I think the highest AW I played was P2 (before the recent addition of extra levels)... I hated the anxiety it gave me. I would get FAB on my path (Path 6 and I hade an R5 apoc... cheat code) but it made me scared to fight any bosses.

I moved to a much more chill ally. Doing just 2 BGs and still doing G4. I like that I can try new champs against bosses to see what happens without stressing over giving a death.

I do miss those juicy rewards, but I like getting to enjoy the game more instead of worrying about dying 1 time.
  • Options
    ReignkingTWReignkingTW Posts: 2,536 ★★★★★
    Money
  • Options
    Steam97Steam97 Posts: 110 ★★
    From what you said I can guess your account is not terrible so you could try finding a tier 4/5 alliance and see what's the difference doing war with the defense tactic, which is what makes aw tricky in most cases and this way you can have a real estimate of your playing level and decide if you like it more or not. As of aq you have no need to worry, map 8 is pretty easy and repetitive, you don't need to coordinate with other people, you just need to take your assigned paths and take your fights, maybe the first few times you could find them a bit hard but after a while you'll get the hang of it since you always take the same fights every day. Regarding bg you may find some alliances requiring the 300k points each but thats all.
  • Options
    GarloGarlo Posts: 201 ★★
    It's like in real life, if you don't know the right people, your chances of reaching the top are low. Recruitment in the top alliances is not public, most of the time, it's by recommendation.
  • Options
    edited February 23
    Steam97 said:

From what you said I can guess your account is not terrible so you could try finding a tier 4/5 alliance and see what's the difference doing war with the defense tactic, which is what makes aw tricky in most cases and this way you can have a real estimate of your playing level and decide if you like it more or not. As of aq you have no need to worry, map 8 is pretty easy and repetitive, you don't need to coordinate with other people, you just need to take your assigned paths and take your fights, maybe the first few times you could find them a bit hard but after a while you'll get the hang of it since you always take the same fights every day. Regarding bg you may find some alliances requiring the 300k points each but thats all.

Sage advice. And yea, I really wasn’t too concerned with Map 8, as I have plenty of roster options to tackle whatever it throws at me. It’s just I’ve never even tried it, and the alliance I’m in now, most probably couldn’t/wouldn’t want to do it. Hell, it’s hard sometimes to get a few people to even finish exploring all of Map 6 for only 4 days…

BGs as well. Like I mentioned I always get into GC and I usually end up stopping around 225k, but a 300k min would at least let me see how far I could actually get (I think I’d fair pretty well, just had no reason to try).

Garlo said:

It's like in real life, if you don't know the right people, your chances of reaching the top are low. Recruitment in the top alliances is not public, most of the time, it's by recommendation.

Yea that’s kind of what I figured. I’m not CCP, I don’t make videos and have no intention to as my actual life takes up too much time to do that as a side hustle. It just gets to be a bit disheartening to see some of these people showcase their Wars and who they used, their tactics, etc. It’s helpful, no doubt. But what’s the point when I’m never going to be there fighting alongside you reaping the same rewards?
  • Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 3,954 ★★★★★

Glassback said:

I die all the time in plat, I’m literally a hard carry and the best my alliance can find so if you could keep your availability on the down low, I’d appreciate it!

Nepotism

This is probably a joke, but I feel there’s some truth do it. Obviously not familial relations, but the content creator community do seem to huddle up together.

Not content creator, but If you are a irl friend or close in game friend to a high rated alliance officer, you have high chances to get into those alliances even with low rating.
  • Options
    GlassbackGlassback Posts: 385 ★★★

Glassback said:

Nepotism

Post your profile mate if you don’t mind so people can see if it fits a higher ally?

• Options
    Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 3,029 ★★★★★
    Recruitment Line chats or the Recruitment section of the forums are good places to start. It’s been a while since I was an officer, but that was where I did my recruiting when I helped run a P3/4 Map 8 alliance.

Also, if you get your butt kicked in a war and like the look of the alliance you lost to, it may not be a bad idea to reach out to an officer from that alliance. The big part of this is just being willing to reach out and try to get recruited.
    smdam38 said:

Crazy.

Do you wake up in the morning and just decide to be rude to strangers on a video game forum for no reason? Like, is that your deal?
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,687 Guardian
    smdam38 said:

Crazy.

1. I am actually typing this out on my iPad, using a keyboard.
    2. Limiting what you say to what you can tap out on a phone is like limiting your exercise regiment to what you can perform in a phone booth.

Phone booth. The small box-like enclosure that used to encapsulate - you know what, just Google it ask Siri to explain it to you.
  • Options
    Supersha7Supersha7 Posts: 178 ★★
    As someone said earlier, there’s always changes happening in alliances.

In between seasons is the idea time to move. But now is the time to start asking, as people will have already spoke. To their officers to let them know they are retiring or moving on.

Best thing to do is talk to as many alliance as you can, and find one that you think will fit what you want.

If you want to be pushed hard, then try it, and see if you like it. If you don’t then you can always step it down a notch.

There’s so many alliances with different requirements, you’ll find a good one :)

If not, you can always just make one yourself and find like minded people to join yours :) but that’s a bit more work :)
  • Options
    PT_99PT_99 Posts: 2,320 ★★★★★
    smdam38 said:

Crazy.

Wake up babe, we are almost past the 2nd month of 2024, not 2001.

Smartphones now have, swipe/glide gesture to type (I use it all the time) suggestions to make layout better, autocorrect and punctuations and speak to write.

Idk what features iPhone might have, probably more ease of additions but writing big paragraphs on mobile is very very easy and not bothersome.
  • Options
    GlassbackGlassback Posts: 385 ★★★
    smdam38 said:

Crazy.

You must be one of those sociopaths who replies to WhatsApp messages with a voice note, making all your recipients walk around holding their phone to their ears, like they’re a candidate on the Apprentice.
  • Options
    Matty_IceMatty_Ice Posts: 533 ★★★

I've been with my alliance for a few years now I suppose, I believe 2019/early 2020. We're a somewhat moderate alliance doing Map 6 and scoring around Gold 3 or 4. Some, like myself, are try-hards and some not so much (which is fine, albeit irritating at times). But for the past year or so, I've really gotten more into the game as a whole, and not just playing it leisurely. I watch vids, I watch livestreeam sometimes, I push myself to do more content than I ever thought possible, I visit the sub-Reddit, I..visit the forums daily now. I can probably attribute this to my sobriety, hah!

And with that came this want to push higher, and I know I honestly have the roster and adeptness for it now which I didn't have for many years. Honestly, I think the game was just more of an RNG vice for me in those earlier years.

So what does it actually take to achieve these types of goals in this game, with top-end alliances? I have a ex-military buddy (one I introduced the game to) who consistently seems to be in some of these alliances (I think his alliance placed top 10 during the Banquet alliance portion) and we still talk on the regular, and when I brought this up to him, all he could say was "You don't want that smoke.." and I was a bit offended, when I know my account runs circles around his. As if it's good enough for him, but I'm not at that level.

And maybe he's partially right. I say this due to a few points:

-I've never done Map 8. Is it still a coordiantion required nightmare?
    -I may die a time or two in War, but even our AWs now aren't really planned, and besides "our" paths myself and alliance mates frequent, minibosses and above are usually a free-for-all, or getting backup to come in.
    -I play enough BGs to get me into GC each season, but that's usually where I stop after 4-5 matches in to boost my numbers around season end.

So where is the starting step for all this? Find a low-Plat alliance, get used to all the 'new' workings and eventually move your way up to a better alliance?

The only thing problematic I can see with this is something similar that myself and numerous others witnessed during my time in the military: You have so many people sitting high and mighty that are comfortable in their spots (this would be your senior NCOs and officers in this scenario), that they'd refuse to step down, and because of this you had a severe lack of availability for anyone lower to progress and advance to fill those spots.

Anyways, thanks for listening to my Ted talk. This is just question I've been meaning to ask on here for a while but didn't really have the time to put my thoughts 'on paper.' I'm curious to see anyone else's thoughts.

There is a section on the forums here for alliance recruitment. You’ll see people there posting about their alliances. Most post what their focus is and you can see if you like what they have. There are also Facebook groups and I’m sure line/discord groups as well for recruiting.

I am an officer in a plat 6 alliance. If you’re interested in seeing what moving up looks like, would be happy to talk with you. We will have a couple open spots after war season.
  • Options
    RaiderbobRaiderbob Posts: 168
    @ jcphillips7
    Honestly, it sounds like you need a new ally.

We’re a solid G1 ally and run mandatory AQ/AW (in season). BG runs are optional. AQ is maps 5&6

Well organized, drama free and very chill.

If you’re interested hit me up on Line

ID is RaiderBob
  • Options
    ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 5,987 ★★★★★
    edited February 25
    Everyone who is saying you need a specific in and need to know someone arebt entirely correct. They're kind of making it sound like it's "Hey, can I join?" "No, we aren't friends with you. Get out"

Their processes are pretty much the same (Maybe a little more selective but it depends) as the average alliance, but they always have massive waiting lists and backlogs that it's almost impossible to jump on unless you're friends with people in it; that's where knowing someone comes in so technically you do but also you dont.

Technically if you wanted to get into BGBLS you could message someone and have a chat and then sit on a waiting list for 45 years (Speaking from personal experience with this one. I didn't feel like waiting tho)
  • Options
    ahmynuts said:

Everyone who is saying you need a specific in and need to know someone arebt entirely correct. They're kind of making it sound like it's "Hey, can I join?" "No, we aren't friends with you. Get out"

Their processes are pretty much the same (Maybe a little more selective but it depends) as the average alliance, but they always have massive waiting lists and backlogs that it's almost impossible to jump on unless you're friends with people in it; that's where knowing someone comes in so technically you do but also you dont.

Technically if you wanted to get into BGBLS you could message someone and have a chat and then sit on a waiting list for 45 years (Speaking from personal experience with this one. I didn't feel like waiting tho)

That name sounded familiar so I looked it up, and it is indeed the alliance I thought it was. So what’s the deal with that, they have a waitlist (which their alliance blurb says is full) but if no one ever leaves (either by choice or circumstance), then just no one new ever comes onboard?

Well damn…we might as well make our own Masters alliance. Could be challenging though. We need a high-profile face in our ranks. Gain some traction. Who’s down for a revolution against the old guard?! 😎