**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

8*s. What will they be like?

Comments

• Options
    Ackbar67Ackbar67 Posts: 401 ★★★
    Ruwqiersa said:

Yall really gotta figure something out to keep the game alive

They already have figured out how to keep the game alive, as evidenced by the 10 year anniversary happening later this year. Part of that includes introducing new rarities every few years. The game launched in December 2014 with 1-4 stars, then about a year later 5*s were added. 2018 saw the addition of 6*s, then 7*s came out last year in 2023. A new rarity will come in due time, whether that's an eighth star or a different way to denote the rarity as DNA has talked at length about
  • Options
    peixemacacopeixemacaco Posts: 1,236 ★★★
    8 stars implies that the game will need some changes....

- New Summoner's Title (Mastodont?)
    - New everest contents
    - Greater than Valiant rewards

A mass headache for sure
  • Options
    Marvelfan30Marvelfan30 Posts: 1,156 ★★★★

• Options
    BendyBendy Posts: 3,400 ★★★★★

8 stars implies that the game will need some changes....

- New Summoner's Title (Mastodont?)
    - New everest contents
    - Greater than Valiant rewards

A mass headache for sure

All stuff that will continue happening even before 8s as im pretty sure we will get another big everest like necro when we hit 7 r5s most likely and title will always keep going up that will also never end
  • Options
    ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,784 ★★★★★
    It's not some kind of secret. There will be 8*,9* etc. It's just how these kinds of games go. If you don't want any of that then move on.
  • Options
    phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,688 ★★★★★
    A quest where mcu thanos enters the contest right before the snap, doesn't realise whats happened and wipes out half of everyone's roster. Thus forcing everyone to start chasing again.
  • Options
    RasiloverRasilover Posts: 1,457 ★★★★
    8 stars will have the Superior class
  • Options
    EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 1,943 ★★★★
    I want to see Collector as a playable 8 star trophy champion for the next Necropolis like everest content
  • Options
    EdisonLaw said:

I want to see Collector as a playable 8 star trophy champion for the next Necropolis like everest content

I feel like collector will actually come as a 7* with the next everest when we're trying for r4/r5 7*. Grandmaster would be 8* tho.
  • Options
    Buttehrs said:

EdisonLaw said:

I feel like collector will actually come as a 7* with the next everest when we're trying for r4/r5 7*. Grandmaster would be 8* tho.
    Possible. How would they design the Grandmaster as a playable trophy?
  • Options
    EdisonLaw said:

Buttehrs said:

EdisonLaw said:

Possible. How would they design the Grandmaster as a playable trophy?
    I'm sure they'll think of something. We never thought maestro would be playable
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,687 Guardian
    Siliyo said:

It shows lack of creativity just adding a new star. 7 stars isn’t enough?

I will never understand the odd fascination some people have with trying to find creative alternatives for 7 following 6.

There will always be a new rarity, because rarities have game design functions, and that function has a limited lifespan. So we make new ones periodically, because why not.
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

Siliyo said:

I will never understand the odd fascination some people have with trying to find creative alternatives for 7 following 6.

There will always be a new rarity, because rarities have game design functions, and that function has a limited lifespan. So we make new ones periodically, because why not.
    Exactly, the contest is always evolving
  • Options
    BeastDadBeastDad Posts: 1,419 ★★★★★
    May as well release them at this point.
  • Options
    EdisonLaw said:

DNA3000 said:

Siliyo said:

Exactly, the contest is always evolving
    I wouldn't even say this is an evolution. When this game only had four star champs, eight star champs were still inevitable, because rarities are themselves just steps on a ladder.

To say the devs should find some "creative" alternative to eight star rarity is like saying the devs should find some creative alternative to rank 4 following rank 3. Why not go from rank 1 to rank 2 to rank 3 to rank yellow to rank banana to lt. colonel tapioca?

Because it wouldn't even occur to normal people to consider that. The rarities already exist. Eight star, nine star, fifty five star, they already exist, because those numbers exist. We just haven't reached them yet, and haven't implemented them yet. In fact, here's a bit of technical trivia: we already have eight star champs. The database space reserved for seven star champion was actually filled with something else long ago, so when the game got to six star rarity it had to jump to the space reserved for eight star champions to give us seven star champions. In a sense, we reached eight star champions in the development process: they just have seven stars on their profile pictures and are only 30%-ish stronger than six star champs.

There already is a nine star spot, whether the schemas explicitly or only implicitly contain one, and a ten star, and an eleven star, just like Excel has a row nine, and a row ten, and a row eleven. These are not evolutions of the spreadsheet, they are just the natural extension of the spreadsheet that no one thinks to question. Those rows are there, whether you use them or not. And when you need a new row, you don't invent one, Excel just gives you the next one.

I think where some people get messed up is they think the game should simply stop where ever it is, and only add rarities if they have no choice, like to solve some novel problem. And because the next rarity is the solution to some new unique problem, it should itself be a new unique solution. But in fact, new rarities are not novel solutions to novel problems. New rarities are just the next bullet in the chamber, the next Mars bar in the vending machine, the next set of track along the line. The devs do not invent new rarities, they invented the rarity system at the beginning of time. And the rarity system says: use the current top rarity as long as you can, then move on to the next one. Period.
  • Options
    @DNA3000 Plus I don't think we will see 8 stars for a while. It took around 5 years to see the release of 7 stars after 6 stars.
  • Options
    EdisonLaw said:

@DNA3000 Plus I don't think we will see 8 stars for a while. It took around 5 years to see the release of 7 stars after 6 stars.

My guess is that the devs probably think 7* champs took slightly too long to enter the contest relative to 6* champs. But that still means it could be three to four years after launch that we start to get hints of 8* champs entering the contest, which would be about two to three years from now. But long before we get them, the devs will start thinking about them. Less so what they will be, except for that one thing that makes them different from the previous rarities, but moreso how they will get introduced. I think Necropolis and rank 3 was a grand experiment, and largely successful. It was just the next rank, just 3 coming after 2, and what rank 3 looked like was completely predictable.

But how we got it, the circumstances of how we got it, and the way it integrated into progression, was unique. There are lessons in there for how 8* champs could and should be introduced, even if 8 very predictably comes after 7.
  • Options
    Toproller89Toproller89 Posts: 473 ★★★
    The thing I find strange, is that whenever a new rarity is announced, people cry and threaten to leave the game, but when the rarity is actually rolled out, everyone is loving it.

Even Seatin was drinking the Haterade about relics and 7*s ruining the contest.
  • Options
    Darkness275Darkness275 Posts: 819 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

My guess is that the devs probably think 7* champs took slightly too long to enter the contest relative to 6* champs.

No need to guess, devs have outright stated this. It's also why they're bottlenecking T4a to stop R3 progression, because R2 7* came way too quickly. They're actively doing everything they can to not have it so 8* need to be released in the next two years.
  • Options
    Real_Madrid_76_2Real_Madrid_76_2 Posts: 3,325 ★★★★★
    We're not getting 8 stars before GTA VI 😓
  • Options
    OldManHopOldManHop Posts: 88
    Kabam Jax said:

So y'all want 8-Stars, eh...

Please, God, no...
  • Options
    SpartanGhostSpartanGhost Posts: 34
    Kabam Jax said:

I just want my 7* deathless Guillotine dupe...
  • Options
    Sw0rdMasterSw0rdMaster Posts: 1,727 ★★★★
    My eyes will be squinting to count the stars
  • Options
    Ceo_WakefordCeo_Wakeford Posts: 115
    Kabam Jax said:

If game will be alive till then ,bc of a million bugs every month i think this game will not see 8*s
  • Options

DNA3000 said:

My guess is that the devs probably think 7* champs took slightly too long to enter the contest relative to 6* champs.

No need to guess, devs have outright stated this. It's also why they're bottlenecking T4a to stop R3 progression, because R2 7* came way too quickly. They're actively doing everything they can to not have it so 8* need to be released in the next two years.
    That sounds contradictory. If the devs believe 7s took too long to enter the game, the logical response would be to accelerate the 7* ladder, not decelerate it. If they slow down the 7* ladder, it will take even longer for 8* champs to enter the game.
  • Options
    Sketch1037Sketch1037 Posts: 54
    Enjoy the 7s first, bro-tato chip.
  • Options
    TerminatrixTerminatrix Posts: 1,250 ★★★★
    Why are you even thnking about this right now? We just got 7*'s! We are not trying to think about 8*'s lol.

If you're "hypothesizing" what 8*'s be like in 4-5 years, then ask that question in 4-5 years. 😂