**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Quake and Magik are Just the First Victims of rarity Obsolescence

ForumerForumer Posts: 93 ★★
edited March 27 in General Discussion
The current dissatisfaction among players regarding the lack of a 6* rarity for Quake and Magik is just the tip of the iceberg. This issue serves as a warning sign for what's to come, as many current powerful 6* champions, including Hercules, Ghost, Doctor Doom, Galan, and Kitty Pryde, may never see upgrades to 7* rarity.

Kabam’s approach to balancing older champions, through rarity obsolescence, is flawed and detrimental to champion longevity. It risks turning fan favorites into irrelevant relics of the past, overshadowed by newer rarities and unable to remain competitive in the evolving meta or even enjoyable in late-game content.

To address this issue effectively, Kabam must overcome its fear of backlash and rebalance these champions. While tuning down their abilities may cause short-term dissatisfaction, it ensures that every champion will remain relevant and useable for years to come.

Comments

• Options
    RookiieRookiie Posts: 4,772 ★★★★★

Prepare for just a modicum of the backlash that we would get coming your way in 3...2...

@Kabam Miike are we not getting a balance update this month? I really look forward to them.
  • Options
    BendyBendy Posts: 3,395 ★★★★★
    edited March 28
    Forumer said:

The current dissatisfaction among players regarding the lack of a 6* rarity for Quake and Magik is just the tip of the iceberg. This issue serves as a warning sign for what's to come, as many current powerful 6* champions, including Hercules, Ghost, Doctor Doom, Galan, and Kitty Pryde, may never see upgrades to 7* rarity.

Kabam’s approach to balancing older champions, through rarity obsolescence, is flawed and detrimental to champion longevity. It risks turning fan favorites into irrelevant relics of the past, overshadowed by newer rarities and unable to remain competitive in the evolving meta or even enjoyable in late-game content.

To address this issue effectively, Kabam must overcome its fear of backlash and rebalance these champions. While tuning down their abilities may cause short-term dissatisfaction, it ensures that every champion will remain relevant and useable for years to come.

Theres already a thread like this of what u said about tuning them down its just wont ever be even or one side greater as some love nostalgia some would rather sacrifice if it means they aint left behind this aims to also ones they also feel are broken like herc if u want to get in the action u can on the thread that is like this talk

Edit: https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/363275/do-you-agree-with-kabam-miike-on-quake#latest
  • Options
    SquirrelguySquirrelguy Posts: 2,635 ★★★★★
    Buttehrs said:

I remember when people were absolutely certain we'd never see ghost as a 6* and she was added like it was no problem. All.of those champs you mentioned are perfectly fine. Except herc. He's just broken.

You forget Wolvie and OGSW. They indeed broke the game.
  • Options
    ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,784 ★★★★★

Buttehrs said:

I remember when people were absolutely certain we'd never see ghost as a 6* and she was added like it was no problem. All.of those champs you mentioned are perfectly fine. Except herc. He's just broken.

You forget Wolvie and OGSW. They indeed broke the game.
    Obviously not otherwise they wouldn't be 6 or 7* now. But they were pretty OP when 6* first dropped.
  • Options
    RebarkRebark Posts: 344 ★★★

Prepare for just a modicum of the backlash that we would get coming your way in 3...2...

In fact, the community needs to change.
    I understand that in the past, dealing with the possibility of tuning down a strong champion was terrible, because we had absolutely dominant champions in the game.
    Nowadays, we have all kinds of options for all types of content. And no one ever said that tuning down would make the champion look bad or stop being one of the best in the game.
    Most champions are at least a 6 or 7 on a scale out of 10. In the past, most champions would be a 3 or 4, with some above a 9.
    The mature decision to make is to accept that Magik and Quake are strong. You talk a lot about Magik's power control, but she is my favorite champion and her strongest, for me, is Limbo. You can take a whole combo and get all your life back. You can literally ignore recoil. Add that to power control, and we haven't even begun to talk about the defensive potential.
    Quake needs no comments. Although in her case, I find it much easier to stop, but that would make the content repetitive.
  • Options
    ahmynutsahmynuts Posts: 5,990 ★★★★★
    edited March 28
    I didn't even read this post because the word obsolescence was in the title and I just know this post is nothing but garbage because of that
  • Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,675 Guardian
    Rebark said:

I want to ask a question to you. How hard is it for you to change something in your life? Say you have a new years resolution to eat healthier and 3 weeks in you're sitting on the couch chowing down on microwave pizza again. This is a norm for a lot of people where they could try to change, but have a hard time doing so.

If it is hard for just 1 person to change, imagine how hard it is for a whole community to change. While kabam could say, "suck it up buttercup", they're not because dealing with that much hate is going to be quite taxing mentally, emotionally, and physically. It is easy to be a bystander and say this is an easy thing to do, but the reality is it is quite difficult, and it is a battle kabam would rather not fight.
  • Options
    edited March 28
    Pikolu said:

Rebark said:

I want to ask a question to you. How hard is it for you to change something in your life? Say you have a new years resolution to eat healthier and 3 weeks in you're sitting on the couch chowing down on microwave pizza again. This is a norm for a lot of people where they could try to change, but have a hard time doing so.

If it is hard for just 1 person to change, imagine how hard it is for a whole community to change. While kabam could say, "suck it up buttercup", they're not because dealing with that much hate is going to be quite taxing mentally, emotionally, and physically. It is easy to be a bystander and say this is an easy thing to do, but the reality is it is quite difficult, and it is a battle kabam would rather not fight.
    Absolutely correct. And it sucks, because things that are ultimately better in the long run (like having a 6* Quake or 7* Hercules) will likely be avoided because of it.

But let’s be real, a lot of this is on Kabam for setting the precedent that champions almost never get nerfed for the past 9 years.
  • Options
    edited March 28
    phil56201 said:

Buttehrs said:

Ghost was always a 6 star.
    No ghost was definitely not in that initial batch of 6*. Matter of fact I recall people arguing the best option out of that pool was Angela and winter soldier types BEFORE their buffs. Here's a pic for reference.
  • Options
    Forumer said:

Buttehrs said:

phil56201 said:

Buttehrs said:

No ghost was definitely not in that initial batch of 6*. Matter of fact I recall people arguing the best option out of that pool was Angela and winter soldier types BEFORE their buffs. Here's a pic for reference.
    She was always going to be a 6* because she came out past 6* release. It’s how it’s always worked.
    Then weres quake and Magik 6*? If that's how it always works we should have them by now yes?
  • Options
    phil56201phil56201 Posts: 970 ★★★
    Buttehrs said:

phil56201 said:

Buttehrs said:

Ghost was released after the rollout of 6*'s. Of course she wouldn't be in that initial pool. She didn't exist yet lol. Every new champion gets the highest rarity that's available at the time.
  • Options
    Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 3,029 ★★★★★
    Buttehrs said:

Forumer said:

Buttehrs said:

phil56201 said:

Buttehrs said:

She was always going to be a 6* because she came out past 6* release. It’s how it’s always worked.
    Then weres quake and Magik 6*? If that's how it always works we should have them by now yes?
    Quake was released in 2016, and Magik before her. 6* champions hit the game in late 2017/early 2018. Therefore, Quake and Magik predate 6* champions.

Every new champion released after the implementation of 6*s was released as a 6* as a function of their addition to the game. The same is being done now with 7*s. That’s how it works. Ghost was released in July 2018, after 6*s became a thing. Therefore, she was always going to be a 6*.
  • Options
    RebarkRebark Posts: 344 ★★★
    Pikolu said:

Rebark said:

The options are: to be available or not to be available.
    I like playing with Magik, she's my favorite champion. I don't see any reason to keep it as a 5 star and not be able to use the 6 or 7 star.
    The ideal scenario for me would be for it to be made available the way it is, I would love it. But Kabam doesn't want to. Life goes on.
    It's not about changing, it's just a game. It's not a change in your life. The only thing that depends on you is having the maturity to not attack those who are doing your work because you don't agree with their decisions.
    In the same way, I'm going to have to accept being without my favorite champion because they'd rather she not exist in the game than give her the possibility to exist with a tuning down.
  • Options
    GreekhitGreekhit Posts: 2,819 ★★★★★
    Rebark said:

I understand that in the past, dealing with the possibility of tuning down a strong champion was terrible, because we had absolutely dominant champions in the game.
    Nowadays, we have all kinds of options for all types of content. And no one ever said that tuning down would make the champion look bad or stop being one of the best in the game.
    Most champions are at least a 6 or 7 on a scale out of 10. In the past, most champions would be a 3 or 4, with some above a 9.
    The mature decision to make is to accept that Magik and Quake are strong. You talk a lot about Magik's power control, but she is my favorite champion and her strongest, for me, is Limbo. You can take a whole combo and get all your life back. You can literally ignore recoil. Add that to power control, and we haven't even begun to talk about the defensive potential.
    Quake needs no comments. Although in her case, I find it much easier to stop, but that would make the content repetitive.
    Quake yes, would be too powerful to release as 6* yet, since she would be able to deal with the current 7* r3 defenders that are the top.
    Magik is beginning to become the new “5* Scarlet Witch would be too powerful and would broke the game” meme.
    She has a good power control, that’s very dependent on being able to place and keep up her power lock debuff.
    For an extensive list of champs and nodes, that’s not going to work.
    Plus many modern cosmic champs are immune to her power control.
    Doom has superior power control, yet he is available in the game as a 6*.
    Now on her Limbo mechanics.
    Offensively she can be sustainable with suicides, but let’s not forget that she just hits descent with them, because without them her damage is at the very bottom between all champs in the game.
    Also Limbo doesn’t have an 100% chance, so she will still get damage from recoils and in very long fights that will be significant, since her main play style is spamming sp2s.
    Defensively, her Limbo without counter will be deadly, but there more counters than the past and anyway we have other champs that without counter you are guaranteed to get damage, or even get wrecked.
    Domino is a prime example of that, yet she is not only available as a 6* but as a 7* too.
    Magik was available as 5* back when 5*s where the top rarity, and the game didn’t broke.
    Now the top rarity are 7*s and people are asking for the 6* version.
    It’s really like questioning if 4* Magik would break the game, back when 5*s were the top.
    There is no reason for not having 6* Magik in the game.
    Quake can be kept limited to 5* rarity, at least up to when 8*s become a thing.
    6* Quake no, but 6* Magik can be in the game 🙂
  • Options
    edited March 28
    Greekhit said:

Rebark said:

Now on her Limbo mechanics.
    Offensively she can be sustainable with suicides, but let’s not forget that she just hits descent with them, because without them her damage is at the very bottom between all champs in the game.
    Also Limbo doesn’t have an 100% chance, so she will still get damage from recoils and in very long fights that will be significant, since her main play style is spamming sp2s.
    Just one thing, Magik will always heal from recoil due to the limbo in her base kit, which activates during a special at 100% chance.
  • Options
    Toproller89Toproller89 Posts: 473 ★★★
    edited March 28
    Whatever works for the longevity of the game, I'm all for. 12.0 needed to happen, Quake in hindsight probably, no actually definitely also needed to be held back for the time being.

The game is in much better shape than it was last time I stopped playing around 2019 so I'm sure Kabam has a gameplan for the long term.

Allowing a ton of broken champs to be part of the highest rarity would probably give way to inflation of enemy health pools and harder nodes by necessity, and this would push a lot of the champions that are still great, albeit less broken, into the realm of obsolescence because they would be far less equipped to deal with the inflated stats and nodes.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    MadGodOryxMadGodOryx Posts: 55
    Kabam doesn’t need to change. This absolutely childish community needs to change. Never before have I seen a competitive multiplayer game where the word nerf was treated like such a dirty word. Like something that should NEVER happen instead of, like it is in any game from League of Legends to Fortnite, a completely normal thing. It is irrational, its childish. Its stupid and without good reasoning.

I look forward to the day Kabam finally just says “Screw it” and takes a nerf bat to Herc, alongside reworks for Quake and Magick. You dont fix a problem by ignoring it and sweeping it under the rug. You FIX it. The children who cry over it can get stuffed.
  • Options
    PT_99PT_99 Posts: 2,327 ★★★★★
    edited March 28
    Kabam will tune down these "OvEr pOweReD" heroes but the difficulty of content will only increase and increase. 📈

So in return what avg player get is, "Nerfed to ground 7* rarity champion" who performs dogshit, I'm quite happy with my 6r5 Ascended OP champs, they at least help me brute force through illogical content, "war showcase Photon" Hercules murdered her after 1 revive use.

Without Herc? I'd struggle real badly, so just because you want a shiny star added doesn't mean everyone want that by sacrificing everything, you might have 7r3 onslaughts and bullseyes but not everyone is lucky. (I got vox tho 🤣)

Because always remember, Kabam have said this in past, "We are making hard tuned up bonkers content because revive farming exists, so we are removing farming and will release balanced content" only to drop absman WoW.

So stop trying to get Herc Kitty Doom nerfed, just stop it. Because these WILL remain relevant forever, unless Kabam rush through 7* ranks and introduce 8* in 2025. Try recoil masteries with Herc along boosts, his damage will make you realise that we don't need 7* Herc (for now)