Options

The weirdest way to buy gold (for Valiants)

Preface: the numbers in this article are for Valiants, although they might be identical to Paragons. Different progression tiers have different pricing in the glory store, which makes this only relevant for a particular progression tier or set of tiers.

The glory store contains gold crystals, specifically Uncollected gold crystals that you can buy in bundles of five for glory. For Valiants, the initial cost is 120 glory and this steps up with each purchase by 30 glory. In other words, the first bundle is 120 glory, the second is 150, the third is 180, and so on. 10 bundles (the maximum) would cost 2550 glory.

The last time I checked, I estimated the average gold in an Uncollected gold crystal as being around 23750 or so. So buying the first bundle of gold crystals would net you about 118,750 gold for 120 glory, which is about 990 gold per glory. Not bad, but not great either.

Curiously, there's another way to get gold from the glory store: buy T4B. Valiants can buy T4B in pairs starting at 40 glory, stepping up by ten glory with each additional purpose. You can sell T4B for 20,000 gold (plus T5B fragments), so buying two T4B and then selling them for gold would get you 40k gold for 40 glory, or 1000 gold per glory. That's actually slightly better.

But the *best* source for gold is actually to buy T5B! T5B costs 40 glory for the first (with escalating prices) and you can sell T5B for 50k gold. That means buying one T5B and then selling it for gold will net you 1250 gold per glory. Here's a table with the costs for each item in glory, the (average) amount of gold you could get by selling/opening, and the gold per glory return on investment:

Are there any other lurking opportunities in there? Probably not, although I haven't explicitly checked them all, none of the other options seemed likely at a glace to do anywhere near these number. ISO in particular is a poor way to get gold. Do not buy ISO just to sell it: that generates a horrible rate of return.

The T5B rate of return if you sell for gold for the first one, if the costs didn't escalate, would allow a player to buy a million gold for 800 glory. As it is, with the escalating prices, maxing out T5B every week would get you a million gold every two weeks at a cost of 1700 glory.

Kinda weird, but if you're Valiant (and probably Paragon, although I no longer have access to those prices) and short of gold, and have T5B coming out of your ears, actually buying T5B and selling it might be one of the more efficient ways to get gold that doesn't involve grinding arena or incursions. It is not a huge amount of gold, two million a month max, but that''s enough for one or two more level ups.

If you were crazy enough to buy *all* the gold crystals and *all* the T4B and *all* the T5B available per week, that would cost 4250 glory and would net you 2,087,500 gold on average, about 8 million gold per month.

Comments

• Options
    willrun4adonutwillrun4adonut Posts: 3,310 ★★★★★
    How did you ever even stumble upon this?
  • Options
    BringPopcornBringPopcorn Posts: 2,949 ★★★★★
    I respect this a lot more than a YTbers way of getting gold.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,797 Guardian

I’ve been fighting off a cold/flu, and while that sounds like a great time to grind arena, I hate grinding arena when I’m sick. So instead I was thinking about doing some level ups and I ran into another completely bonkers economy detail (that I might try to research and write up when I have a bit more time: it will take a significant amount of effort to dig up all the details) and that one led me to thinking about the odd price proximity of T4B and T5B in the glory store. And that led me to what their gold return value was, and my recollection of gold crystal value, and here we are.

TL;DR: I was bored.
  • Options
    ZuroZuro Posts: 2,776 ★★★★★

Bro is salty over a gold method lmao
  • Options
    BuggyDClownBuggyDClown Posts: 2,170 ★★★★★
    I will stick to gold deal of poolies tho
  • Options
    PT_99PT_99 Posts: 2,648 ★★★★★
    Here's what you get when selling T5B exactly, the cost to buy 10 of these was below 1500 glory, should've SC, also attached T2A

So don't buy T2A, only T5B because it's cheap af, good find.
  • Options
    edited May 1
    DNA3000 said:

I’ve been fighting off a cold/flu, and while that sounds like a great time to grind arena, I hate grinding arena when I’m sick. So instead I was thinking about doing some level ups and I ran into another completely bonkers economy detail (that I might try to research and write up when I have a bit more time: it will take a significant amount of effort to dig up all the details) and that one led me to thinking about the odd price proximity of T4B and T5B in the glory store. And that led me to what their gold return value was, and my recollection of gold crystal value, and here we are.

TL;DR: I was bored.
    To grind Arena, I usually minimise the website version of YouTube and put over to the very top, that section of screen is really not necessary in Arena and you can watch whatever you like, I just prefer listening to MCoC guides, karate and other channels when playing mcoc or some revisions of lactures.

Tho idk if this feature is there in iPhone but it's life saver as multi-task and can actually NOT be bored when I get little free time for myself.
  • Options
    BringPopcornBringPopcorn Posts: 2,949 ★★★★★
    edited May 1
    Zuro said:

A gold method? I am salty about the hypocrisy.
    Remember how there was a video with gifting banquet crystals from alts and how it was an "exploitation" of the system? Well I don't see much difference from the new video.
    DNA's method is a more respectable way to gain gold.
  • Options
    Herbal_TaxmanHerbal_Taxman Posts: 152 ★★
    MCOC arbitrage. Nice.
  • Options
    CvlrCvlr Posts: 221 ★★
    Just realized you can do same thing with BG's store, most convenient is buy and sell t4b, you'd get 400k for 800 tokens, not bad at all
  • Options
    Kabam rn

• Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 4,506 ★★★★★
    You know what? We get 8m gold for 4k glory each week, which is way better than spending them on some cats when you don't even have a shortage of those cats.

From next week I'm going to spend 4k glory on gold, Thanks for the insight.
  • Options
    Cvlr said:

Just realized you can do same thing with BG's store, most convenient is buy and sell t4b, you'd get 400k for 800 tokens, not bad at all

Yeah but BG store gives 7* shards for Valiants
  • Options
    PT_99 said:

Cvlr said:

Yeah but BG store gives 7* shards for Valiants
    Yeah I know (I'm valiant too and I buy weekly 7* shards, depending on how many tokens I get), 800 tokens are not even half the price for 500 shards, it's very cheap
  • Options
    ZuroZuro Posts: 2,776 ★★★★★

Zuro said:

A gold method? I am salty about the hypocrisy.
    Remember how there was a video with gifting banquet crystals from alts and how it was an "exploitation" of the system? Well I don't see much difference from the new video.
    DNA's method is a more respectable way to gain gold.
    Comparing banquet crystals to gold is wild. You can hardly do anything with gold by itself, in the end you still need to work for the catalysts/crystals/etc. Whereas the banquet crystals were giving endgame resources, these two situations are hardly the same