Options

Blade is the worst 7* in the game

Comments

• Options
    ZuroZuro Posts: 2,780 ★★★★★

Blades nowhere near the worst 7*, but he is a bad 7*, he has barely any utility, his regen isn't ever going to be meaningful, his bleeds are his only utility, and like you said, his synergies are on fodder you can't afford to waste spaces on. Pretty laughable for a champion that was gamebreaking 5-6 years ago, an easy fix to at least improve him would be a synergy with a viable champion that turns his bleeds into ruptures against bleed immune champs, but still have them act as bleeds/extended via deep wounds. Wouldn't break the game but would at least make him decently viable.

Nowhere near the worst? My guy who's the worst then? Infact I'd actually like to see your top 10 worst 7* list
    VTD is objectively worse, and subjectively I'd much rather use Blade over Howard, Sauron, Hawkeye and War Machine. I get War Machine and Hawkeye have used but both are mediocre and Blade against an optimal opponent is way better than those two against an optimal opponent. Hawkeye is basically just as bad Vs a bleed immune. As for Sauron "oh but he is a defender" I haven't struggled against a sauron for over a year. specials are easily evaded and his unblockable is easy to play around. There is also a bunch more "defender only" champs that are skill issues at this point, like Korg, don't remember the last time I didn't blitz the guy in 30 seconds with 95%+ health remaining, and a bunch more champs that are "good" but not great. Calling blade the worst 7* is categorically wrong.
    VTD is not objectively worse lmao, he easily outdamages with toxic armor. Plus his buffs make him great for incursions, and quests. Plus he can actually do bleed immune matchups.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ★★
    Wicket329 said:

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Idk, I've really been enjoying him. Always run 5/5 Deep Wounds anyways, so he is good in BGs and can be a sneaky defender.

Anyone’s good at r3, this isn’t an argument. It’s insane to me that they added him in the titan pool without a tune up. Why do you think people only rank up Mantis, Killmonger, Bullseye and Korg at r3 in the skill class? It’s because champs like Blade get added lol, I would hate to pull him so much after saving shards for months.
    The r3 isn't why I enjoy him. I took him to r3 because I enjoy him.
    How dare you have fun playing a game
    You don't have fun when you get Blade from titan crystal (so-called one of the best rewards in the game)
    Speak for yourself, I have a Rank 2 Blade and had a fun time getting him from a titan crystal 🤷🏻‍♀️

Different strokes for different folks - I'll never understand the obsession with getting annoyed at people for enjoying different aspects of the game & trying to convince them that they're wrong.
    "I have a R2 Blade", yeah because you open 3 titan every month with whaling. And you have millions of resources. Of course you will have. Out of 100 people, 1 person enjoys to get him from titan and the other 99 hate it. What is your obsession with defending it like it's a great pull? I speak for the community. I bet somebody enjoys playing with Groot too. Next time add Groot to the titan then. Enjoyment and reality are two different things.
    Absolutely wild to claim you speak for the community. You don’t. None of us do.

Different people have different opinions. It’s okay. You hate Blade with the white hot passion of a thousand suns and that’s okay, I’m not gonna try to convince you otherwise. But you’ve made your position extremely clear and there’s no need to keep angrily posting on it.
    Bro, I'm just discussing. Sorry If it seemed like anger🙏🏻
  • Options
    Qwerty12345Qwerty12345 Posts: 775 ★★★
    and that's why he was added to the pool, and isn't on the nick, herc, ghost, doom, etc. list of champs that we won't see as 7 stars until 8 stars start becoming a thing.
  • Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,252 ★★★★★

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

Idk, I've really been enjoying him. Always run 5/5 Deep Wounds anyways, so he is good in BGs and can be a sneaky defender.

Anyone’s good at r3, this isn’t an argument. It’s insane to me that they added him in the titan pool without a tune up. Why do you think people only rank up Mantis, Killmonger, Bullseye and Korg at r3 in the skill class? It’s because champs like Blade get added lol, I would hate to pull him so much after saving shards for months.
    You don't have fun when you get Blade from titan crystal (so-called one of the best rewards in the game)
    Speak for yourself, I have a Rank 2 Blade and had a fun time getting him from a titan crystal 🤷🏻‍♀️

Different strokes for different folks - I'll never understand the obsession with getting annoyed at people for enjoying different aspects of the game & trying to convince them that they're wrong.
    "I have a R2 Blade", yeah because you open 3 titan every month with whaling. And you have millions of resources. Of course you will have. Out of 100 people, 1 person enjoys to get him from titan and the other 99 hate it. What is your obsession with defending it like it's a great pull? I speak for the community. I bet somebody enjoys playing with Groot too. Next time add Groot to the titan then. Enjoyment and reality are two different things.
    You speak for yourself and a handful of others. You DO NOT speak for the community. I know for a fact you don't speak for me and I am part of the community. We get it, you hate Blade. Anyone who likes Blade is crazy to you. It's beyond annoying seeing you comment on this topic by now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ★★

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

You speak for yourself and a handful of others. You DO NOT speak for the community. I know for a fact you don't speak for me and I am part of the community. We get it, you hate Blade. Anyone who likes Blade is crazy to you. It's beyond annoying seeing you comment on this topic by now.
    What is "beyond annoying" talk about Blade in Blade related topic? Do I insult you? Do I hurt you? Which part is beyond annoying?
  • Options

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

1) I don't open 3 Titans each month with "whaling."

2) I'm nowhere near obsessed with defending Blade. This was my first comment on the subject - and I simply said I had fun pulling him in response to your statement that nobody does.

3) You don't "speak for the community," you're speaking on behalf of your own opinion - which is perfectly valid & fine to do, but not everyone agrees with you.
  • Options

Zuro said:

Blades nowhere near the worst 7*, but he is a bad 7*, he has barely any utility, his regen isn't ever going to be meaningful, his bleeds are his only utility, and like you said, his synergies are on fodder you can't afford to waste spaces on. Pretty laughable for a champion that was gamebreaking 5-6 years ago, an easy fix to at least improve him would be a synergy with a viable champion that turns his bleeds into ruptures against bleed immune champs, but still have them act as bleeds/extended via deep wounds. Wouldn't break the game but would at least make him decently viable.

Nowhere near the worst? My guy who's the worst then? Infact I'd actually like to see your top 10 worst 7* list
    VTD is objectively worse, and subjectively I'd much rather use Blade over Howard, Sauron, Hawkeye and War Machine. I get War Machine and Hawkeye have used but both are mediocre and Blade against an optimal opponent is way better than those two against an optimal opponent. Hawkeye is basically just as bad Vs a bleed immune. As for Sauron "oh but he is a defender" I haven't struggled against a sauron for over a year. specials are easily evaded and his unblockable is easy to play around. There is also a bunch more "defender only" champs that are skill issues at this point, like Korg, don't remember the last time I didn't blitz the guy in 30 seconds with 95%+ health remaining, and a bunch more champs that are "good" but not great. Calling blade the worst 7* is categorically wrong.
    VTD is not objectively worse lmao, he easily outdamages with toxic armor. Plus his buffs make him great for incursions, and quests. Plus he can actually do bleed immune matchups.
    VTD is objectively worse. I have never once used my VTD "he's great for incursions and quests" as if anyone is ever going to use him there. If you take a neutral fight against let's say a Hawkeye or Kate bishop, I'm taking blade every day of the week. Make them bleed immune, I'm still taking blade every day of the week and doing the fight faster. VTD hits like a well noodle and his ramp up is pointless when I can end fights before he is even ramped up.

The degen VTD applies to bleed immunes is so weak it may as well not even apply

Edit: just tested my 7* R1 against a bleed immune and it did a whopping 195 dmg per tick, 235 with a fury buff up.
    Using your same logic, Blade is trash because why would I use him in questing when literally no one does. Plus most of VTD's damage comes from his toxic armor anyways. If you truly think blade is finishing a bleed immune matchup before VTD, you're just a nostalgia merchant lmao.
  • Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,814 Guardian
    Zuro said:

Zuro said:

VTD is objectively worse. I have never once used my VTD "he's great for incursions and quests" as if anyone is ever going to use him there. If you take a neutral fight against let's say a Hawkeye or Kate bishop, I'm taking blade every day of the week. Make them bleed immune, I'm still taking blade every day of the week and doing the fight faster. VTD hits like a well noodle and his ramp up is pointless when I can end fights before he is even ramped up.

Edit: just tested my 7* R1 against a bleed immune and it did a whopping 195 dmg per tick, 235 with a fury buff up.
    Using your same logic, Blade is trash because why would I use him in questing when literally no one does. Plus most of VTD's damage comes from his toxic armor anyways. If you truly think blade is finishing a bleed immune matchup before VTD, you're just a nostalgia merchant lmao.
    If it is dormammu, then blade is certainly finishing faster than VTD with his medium crits doing around 18k damage.
  • Options
    Pikolu said:

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

If it is dormammu, then blade is certainly finishing faster than VTD with his medium crits doing around 18k damage.
    I mean fair, but when is the last time you've fought Dorm. Blade is such a niche champ nowadays, and falls into the same category as The Champion. Both do okay in their perfect match ups, but I honestly couldn't bother to use them elsewhere ngl.
  • Options
    allinashesallinashes Posts: 807 ★★★
    I'm on the 'hate' side, but that's mainly because I pulled him from a Titan 😂. Before that, he was one of those champs that I never really thought about or considered using, and I guess he's still that way, but I hate him now too.
  • Options
    Real_Madrid_76_2Real_Madrid_76_2 Posts: 3,361 ★★★★★
    I have seen many opponents who have a 6 star r5 blade ascended in heir bg decks. They finish off their fights in less than a minute, sometimes even less than 40 seconds. He doesn't have defensive value but at least don't call him a dud, he was in his prime in 2017, and has not aged well thanks to the speed at which the game is progressing. He still has great damage and is fun to play, utility isn't bad once you get those sigs, I think he's far better than VTD, thing, imiw.

And what u talked about red goblin, dude MSD wants to know your in game ID, bro red goblin is a beast, hell of an underrated pull, and with the aptitude relic, u can finish off bg fights with one sp2 and few combos, u need to practise blade and goblin more my friend
  • Options
    The_LokíThe_Lokí Posts: 2

Pikolu said:

Pikolu said:

1) I don't open 3 Titans each month with "whaling."

2) I'm nowhere near obsessed with defending Blade. This was my first comment on the subject - and I simply said I had fun pulling him in response to your statement that nobody does.

3) You don't "speak for the community," you're speaking on behalf of your own opinion - which is perfectly valid & fine to do, but not everyone agrees with you.
    Fair enough 👍🏻. I hope we can get 7* Blade related video from you. Would love to see him in high tier AW or battlegrounds. 📺
  • Options
    kenadroidkenadroid Posts: 435 ★★★

The fact that he doesn't trigger danger sense against the only vampire in the game, morbius, is crime alone tbh.

My thoughts exactly 😆
  • Options
    ChiefGoatChiefGoat Posts: 116
    I have a duped 7*r2 blade. He’s still fun to use
  • Options
    Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 3,108 ★★★★★
    Zuro said:

Pikolu said:

Zuro said:

Zuro said:

I mean fair, but when is the last time you've fought Dorm. Blade is such a niche champ nowadays, and falls into the same category as The Champion. Both do okay in their perfect match ups, but I honestly couldn't bother to use them elsewhere ngl.
    Careful now, talking about the Champion like that you’re gonna invoke Swedeah’s wrath
  • Options
    MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,453 ★★★★★

VTD is objectively worse... ...Calling blade the worst 7* is categorically wrong.
    Since this thread is nominally about Blade, I haven't posted it here; but here's a rework suggestion for Venom the Duck, if you want to read it:
    https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/comment/2467191/#Comment_2467191
  • Options
    LexSaviLexSavi Posts: 171
    A lot of the arguments saying Blade is the worst seem to ignore his healing. While he’s not winning any awards unduped, he offers possibly the best healing in the game.

There are a very small number of champs who have healing that can be used throughout a fight. Aside from Blade, BWCV might be best for this. Tying healing to stored power is crazy good. There aren’t many times where there is no access to power, which means Blade can pretty much always access on-demand healing. Add the fact that he passively gains power when close to a bleeding opponent, and can feed his own healing ability, and his healing is top tier.

TLDR: Blade’s damage may be meh, and his danger sense may be too situational to be useful, but his healing is arguably the best in the game. Conversations about his merits, without taking his healing into account is like saying Human Torch is trash just as long as you ignore his incinerates. Blade was never about the highest damage output in the game, he’s about being immortal, cause you know, he’s a vampire…
  • Options
    AleorAleor Posts: 3,071 ★★★★★
    LexSavi said:

A lot of the arguments saying Blade is the worst seem to ignore his healing. While he’s not winning any awards unduped, he offers possibly the best healing in the game.

There are a very small number of champs who have healing that can be used throughout a fight. Aside from Blade, BWCV might be best for this. Tying healing to stored power is crazy good. There aren’t many times where there is no access to power, which means Blade can pretty much always access on-demand healing. Add the fact that he passively gains power when close to a bleeding opponent, and can feed his own healing ability, and his healing is top tier.

TLDR: Blade’s damage may be meh, and his danger sense may be too situational to be useful, but his healing is arguably the best in the game. Conversations about his merits, without taking his healing into account is like saying Human Torch is trash just as long as you ignore his incinerates. Blade was never about the highest damage output in the game, he’s about being immortal, cause you know, he’s a vampire…

Your tldr is as big as the initial message
    Also x23, wolverine, abs, duped Adam, Chavez iirc, Angela, bishop, deathless guillotine, Joe fix it, kg, dkg, knull, omega red, rogue, sw, venom are all better imo in terms of heal then Blade
  • Options
    Aleor said:

LexSavi said:

Your tldr is as big as the initial message
    Also x23, wolverine, abs, duped Adam, Chavez iirc, Angela, bishop, deathless guillotine, Joe fix it, kg, dkg, knull, omega red, rogue, sw, venom are all better imo in terms of heal then Blade
    Not sure how you came to the conclusion that all those champs heal better.

X23 and Wolverine can out heal Blade for sure. If the RNG hits. Unless something has changed, their healing can be too unreliable (same with Switch as well).

Bishop, Rouge and Omega don’t even come close. Might as well add Namor to the list. Omega has amazing healing off of SP3, but requires max spores, meaning SP2 and getting to SP3 while keeping spores up (or running Double Edge).

Venom and Venom Poole have great healing. If the opponent has buffs, and if RNG cooperates. Even then, they don’t out heal Blade.

KG, DKG and Angela all have access to great healing. I don’t think any are so powerful that they are obviously better than Blade (remember that the big tree’s healing cycles while Blade’s is always on). I’d love to see actual numbers on this though.

I’ll give you Abs.

Blade heals 1% to 71%, anytime, as long as Blade has power.

TLDR: Blade heals better. (Did I get the length right this time?)
  • Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,814 Guardian
    @LexSavi king groot and deathless king groot do have way better regens than blade. A sig 200 DKG heals 10% of their health every cycle which can keep them topped off at 100% health while blade can't heal above 70%. His healing is more something nice to have in long questing than it is good to use.
  • Options
    @Pikolu 10% each cycle is awesome. At sig 200 Blade can recover 10% health multiple times in the same amount of time as a single KG cycle. I think they’re pretty close, and you’d need numbers to definitively say which is better.

Blade had to be capped at 70% (always showed as 71% for whatever reason IIR) or he’d be broken. Even still 70% might as well be 100% if you can get get back to it at almost anytime that Blade can gain power and is not heal blocked.

My main point was that people saying he’s the worst 7*, without considering he has some of the best and most consistent healing in the game, were essentially ignoring the best part of his kit.
  • Options
    doctorbdoctorb Posts: 1,740 ★★★
    Blade would still be fun to play if not for what kabam did to him.
    Kabam made it so that every time you try to regenerate health, the enemy becomes ultra aggressive.
    The result is u either heal very little health (due to losing health from ur block damage) or actually losing health from block damage if enemy is powerful enough.
    Way to neutralize him, kabam.
  • Options
    CASrinivasCASrinivas Posts: 992 ★★★

(We're ignoring thanos/deadpool/any 7* trophy champ here)

Let's talk about blade on his own. His synergy partners (ghost rider, dorm/mephi) are dead weight on offense, so you'd never bring them along in any realistic questing situation. Not to mention bgs or aw/gauntlet style content where you're limited to just 1 or 3 champs.

Blade's ideal matchups would be dimensional beings, which make up 14/270 champs. In these matchups, he's a good counter: his dmg is decent (at best) and he shuts down abilities pretty well. However, 5/14 of those champs are bleed immune, with fam being a partial bleed immune champ, making it 6/14. So, there are 8 champs blade counters on his own (chavez, galan, magik, mephi, purg, spot, cow, and hood) where he'll be at full potential dmg-wise. From that lot, you'd almost never see purg/magik on defense (changes if they release 6* magik though), and hood is a pretty easy fight with or without blade. That leaves spot, chavez, galan, cow, and mephisto (these are good defenders, I will admit). So, he has 5 effective matchups at full potential.

Aside from those 5 matchups, blade is on his own and will be without the danger sense bonus. He'll be a regular bleed reliant low-dmg champ with no utility. His regen from the sig is nice on paper; saves potions, but in practice it has lost its value. If you are using that regen in bgs, you've already lost the round. It works for questing, but I'd rather take other skill champs with better dmg and utility over the regen and abysmal dmg that blade offers (might be okay for AQ at best). His debuff duration reduction is a low-value ability with barely any practical use.

Reiterating for the nth time: his dmg is not up to par at all, it's legitimately a joke. In 256/270 matchups, his dmg is pathetic, I'd argue that it is among the lowest of any current 7* (even when he can bleed the opponent). <- Let's not even talk about how toothless he'll be in any bleed immune situation when it's already poor enough.

He obviously has no defensive use, and as established here, he barely offers any offensive value. The only situation I see where his value increases is when/if kabam release a 6* magik. Even then, he only gains 1 more viable matchup.

The fact that he doesn't trigger danger sense against the only vampire in the game, morbius, is crime alone tbh.

He was finally added as a 6* not too long ago, yet I've never seen anyone talk about him (aside from youtubers who ranked him up because of nostalgia/ exclusivity), so why was he added to the 7* pool? Even after excluding broken/top tier skill champs like kate, kingpin, valk, zemo, monke and fury (and exclusives 7*s like moleman and massacre); they could have still added stealthy/bwdo/misty in over him. I wouldn't mind seeing him get buffed soon, if that was the intention; like they did with ironman, luke, and red skull recently. He'd be a bad pull from a basic, much less a titan. The only other 7* that is comparably as bad on their own is red goblin, even then his synergy partner odin is actually worth bringing along.

What prompted me to make this post was another thread here talking about the worst titan crystal. I can't believe ppl were saying blade is a SOLID pull, like stop lying to yourselves lmao. Textbook nostalgia bait champ that you say is solid until you actually pull them. Would anyone rank up a champ that can only do like 5 matchups on their own? </p>

Trade him with me....I'll give my Unduped Spidey(Classic)
  • Options
    BuggyDClownBuggyDClown Posts: 2,174 ★★★★★
    Ghost Quake Apoc in corner: glad they are not talking about relevance ( stares menacingly at BG Attack)
  • Options
    AcidBurn404AcidBurn404 Posts: 322 ★★
    why are people so meta these days???
  • Options
    pseudosanepseudosane Posts: 3,837 Guardian
    While some points are valid, the fact that you are calling blade the worst 7* is a piping hot take. You dont like blade, and dont know how to use him effectively, doesnt mean others dont....