Superior Iron Man Buff Thoughts

J0eySn0wJ0eySn0w Posts: 938 ★★★★
edited August 16 in General Discussion
I’ve been testing the champ since his buff at 6r3. Pulled him from the Titan crystal, continue my testing and I’m wondering if I should take him up or not. The other Cosmic alternatives are duped Gamora, Vox, DKG, and unduped Adam Warlock. I’m making this post to share my observations and to welcome others to broaden my knowledge and understanding of the character.

My overall feelings about SIM as of now are:
- I’d start by saying, I appreciate the efforts that the team put into this champ. Thank you. Buff champs are always appreciated and has its own taste or appeal of the game.
- Damage: he has it, up there with the best…definitely in the top 10% for sure if not higher.
- Regen and Willpower: I’m not quite sure how I feel, would say not sold on that. Probably would have been happy if they gave him Ultron kind of regen and left his willpower alone. Took him into incursions and I didn’t see annything special about his sustainability. I didn’t have buff cornucopia, but it felt my other champs without regen were more sustainable than him due to their full benefits from willpower healing. I may have test him more on this.
- Immunity & Resistance: All of the Comics the past 4 years have some form of immunities or resistances. And he follows the pattern which is good. Despite his Willpower lowered he seems to do just fine where I tested him.
- Additional Utility: His buffs have additional ability accuracy making him viable for dealing with glancing and 100% neutralize. So where others have outright nullify immunity, he has that just like Vox. He can also block non-contact attacks through his heavy via Superior Instinct Buff. In those matchups, you have to manage one heavy attack to unlock that. My only concern with additional utility is that 12/16 Cosmic champs past 4 years have at least one (pseudo) way of handling either Miss, Evade, or Autoblock. SIM doesn’t follow that pattern. Would have been nice if he followed suit, an unblockable special would have been nice.
- Lastly, he has ZERO defensive value. I mean NIL! Couldn’t they have at least let his buffs triggered on attacker’s Medium and Light intercepts and combo-enders, just like on attack? Im not sure if Buffed champs are up for rebalance but Kabam please re-consider this when he’s up for discussion.

Well, this is my take on the champ. I’d appreciate other inputs and thoughts. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Nacho98Nacho98 Posts: 244 ★★
    Good champ
  • WednesdayLengthWednesdayLength Posts: 990 ★★★
    He would literally be worse on defense if he could trigger his buffs defensively. His healing is the way it is because it's designed with his resistances in mind. If he gets a Bleed or shock debuff on him his healing is gonna go through the roof
  • J0eySn0wJ0eySn0w Posts: 938 ★★★★
    edited August 16

He would literally be worse on defense if he could trigger his buffs defensively. His healing is the way it is because it's designed with his resistances in mind. If he gets a Bleed or shock debuff on him his healing is gonna go through the roof

You’re looking at it in a linear way. His buffs won’t make him weak defensively rather help him interact with more nodes. If you’re worried about feeding mystics and heal reversal attackers, so does many champs without nullify immunity and healing. For instance in BG, you typically won’t place a Cosmic knowing they have a viable Mystic.
    With these buffs, on defense he can be viable with armor up buff for instance, nodes like armor assault, chitinous thorns, electric defense, etc.
    With regen, enhanced recovery, reinvigorated (unblockable/fury), etc.
    With other node combination that prevent nullify and heal reversal, he’s at least viable. It’s up to you the player to know when to use him.

Secondly, having his regen like Ultron means he’s not going to have regen as a buff. That could be replace with something else, either undermine, vigilance, true strike, true focus, etc. then his willpower will be return to normal. Anyway, it doesn’t matter, as long as regen is to offer sustainability, as long as he has that either with normal willpower or not. So far, I personally haven’t seen his sustainability yet. But like I said I will test further and ask for others to provide more observations.
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 5,852 ★★★★★
    If he’s already so good on attack, why does he need to be a good defender?
  • WednesdayLengthWednesdayLength Posts: 990 ★★★
    J0eySn0w said:

You’re looking at it in a linear way. His buffs won’t make him weak defensively rather help him interact with more nodes. If you’re worried about feeding mystics and heal reversal attackers, so does many champs without nullify immunity and healing. For instance in BG, you typically won’t place a Cosmic knowing they have a viable Mystic.
    With these buffs, on defense he can be viable with armor up buff for instance, nodes like armor assault, chitinous thorns, electric defense, etc.
    With regen, enhanced recovery, reinvigorated (unblockable/fury), etc.
    With other node combination that prevent nullify and heal reversal, he’s at least viable. It’s up to you the player to know when to use him.

Secondly, having his regen like Ultron means he’s not going to have regen as a buff. That could be replace with something else, either undermine, vigilance, true strike, true focus, etc. then his willpower will be return to normal. Anyway, it doesn’t matter, as long as regen is to offer sustainability, as long as he has that either with normal willpower or not. So far, I personally haven’t seen his sustainability yet. But like I said I will test further and ask for others to provide more observations.
    His sustainability is designed to keep him from dying, not keep him at full. It's very easy to keep him comfortably around half health
    edited August 16
    EdisonLaw said:

If he’s already so good on attack, why does he need to be a good defender?

Makes him more appealing for other game modes like BG and AW, which currently for most players provide engagement in the game. And correction or emphasis: he doesn’t have to be a good defender, and I didn’t say that. Having his buffs trigger on defense makes him viable for defense especially with some nodes. At bear minimum, he will have increase armor and attack rating.
    Pikolu said:

SIM was designed to be an offense-only champion. I personally like that because then none of his power would get scaled back by his defensive value, and we have had enough defenders recently, don't need more

Offensive-only champion? Hmm
  • Barrier ReefBarrier Reef Posts: 711 ★★★
    Anyone else feel he’s not super cide friendly? Seems to take more bleed damage than I was expecting since he reduces it per buff he has on him.
  • Herbal_TaxmanHerbal_Taxman Posts: 361 ★★★
    I’m intrigued by the buff but haven’t spent much time with him yet. For those of you doing testing, what does he do better than other cosmics? Any scenario where he’s the clear choice for a fight / path, etc?
  • PT_99PT_99 Posts: 3,951 ★★★★★
    Idk much about him, waiting on 7*;
    Not a must have champ

I’m intrigued by the buff but haven’t spent much time with him yet. For those of you doing testing, what does he do better than other cosmics? Any scenario where he’s the clear choice for a fight / path, etc?

I’m not exactly what he does better than other Cosmics. SIM and Vox can better handle glancing than all the others. He has 200% Ability Accuracy on his buffs, Vox has 300%. While Vox damage is primarily through DOT, his is through massive specials and armor break.
  • TorgoNudhoTorgoNudho Posts: 37
    I don't like his rotation to maximize his damage (unless I'm missing something) and animation. OG ironman feels more fun to play. Just my opinion.
  • HassamaMamaHassamaMama Posts: 239 ★★

Anyone else feel he’s not super cide friendly? Seems to take more bleed damage than I was expecting since he reduces it per buff he has on him.

It’s the Willpower decrease - doesn’t heal as much as a normal champ would of Liquid Courage. He’s designed to be better with just Double Edge and Coagulate, which I get but kinda wish was different.