Tech Class lacking?

Childish_AlminoChildish_Almino Member Posts: 36
I think it’s not a hot take to state that the tech class is falling behind compared to the other classes. Science and Cosmic are most definitely the strongest and mystics have some powerhouses or make up with utility. Mutants and Skill have some lacking as well but still carry their weights, even with great defenders.

The tech class most definitely has fun champs which I quite enjoy, but most of them aren’t nearly as diverse in strength as in the other classes. Double Immunity isn’t as crazy as it used to be and some mutants even counter techs for some reason. Especially with the 7* Tech roster it falls behind and none seem like a perfect R3 unless you personally love the champ. Also with how good the cosmic roster is, they even successfully counter the amazing tech defenders with each having a hard counter or more.

Maybe it’s just me, what do y’all think about it?

Comments

• captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 8,345 ★★★★★
    Exactly, name one tech 7* who is as good as onslaught or spiderham at r3?
    shuri ? Guardian? Ironman? Shocker? Hulkbuster? Red skull? All these champs are either quite niche or need high sig. starky spidy is the only tech 7* who I consider even being close to great, but he is locked behind a very tough event as well.
    New tech champs since 7* launch are mid as well. LDS, Ironheart, Prowler, Arcade all r good, but none are exciting.

At this point even a 7* nimrod or FAM won't be exciting or something, lol.
    Trust me all I'm the most happiest guy if nimrod comes as 7*. But I'm sure the new mutant defenders and the new upcoming mutant defenders will have anti shock stuff just to counter him. That's why I said he may not be so exciting as 7*. But Nimrod is Nimrod, He is too broken every mutant has to come with nimrod check.

Fam would be great, but again not at doom or hulkling or scorpion level. I mean we all can agree doom hulkling and scorp would be the last 7*s to appear and be very surprised if we see em in next titan crystal. FAM, He can be in next titan crystal and be a very well balanced champ.

Lokx said:

shuri ? Guardian? Ironman? Shocker? Hulkbuster? Red skull? All these champs are either quite niche or need high sig. starky spidy is the only tech 7* who I consider even being close to great, but he is locked behind a very tough event as well.
    New tech champs since 7* launch are mid as well. LDS, Ironheart, Prowler, Arcade all r good, but none are exciting.

Fam would be a beast as a 7* so idk what you mean. Shocker and shuri are amazing attackers. And guardian can be a quick nuke if thats what you want. Iron mans damage is amazing when he gets ramped up.

Guardian, shuri, shocker, iron man are not niche and are extremely versitile. The only thing stopping shuri is shock immune really, but that immunity is niche as well compared to the entirety of the champ pool. Also, while i don’t have much experience to comment on shocker. The other champs do not need their awakening for their damage.

Iron hear doesn’t have much damage but i’m tired of people looking past her utility and focusing on just her damage which might not be crazy like ham or onslaught but can still be a great questing champ.
    All those champs are extremely good, But not as good as the powerhouses of other class, that's the debate.
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,463 ★★★★★
    We need 7* NimGod soon

Trust me all I'm the most happiest guy if nimrod comes as 7*. But I'm sure the new mutant defenders and the new upcoming mutant defenders will have anti shock stuff just to counter him. That's why I said he may not be so exciting as 7*. But Nimrod is Nimrod, He is too broken every mutant has to come with nimrod check.

Fam would be great, but again not at doom or hulkling or scorpion level. I mean we all can agree doom hulkling and scorp would be the last 7*s to appear and be very surprised if we see em in next titan crystal. FAM, He can be in next titan crystal and be a very well balanced champ.

He's not really just a mutant slayer, he''s good in some other matchups and is a pretty solid defender
  • SquidopusSquidopus Member Posts: 331 ★★★
    The issue with techs these days is that they’re too pigeonholed into being mutant counters and little else, and even then the crop of mutants designed to handle Nimrod like Onslaught and Dust have put that niche under threat. Too many of the tech class’s hallmark abilities are really only anti-mutant tech:

1: Invalidate. Prowess is basically restricted to only mutants and the occasional node.
    2: Armor up buffs. The base ability of increasing armor isn’t very useful and its utility is, again, only really good for some mutants and the occasional node like dress code.
    3: Heal block. Regen is more widespread than prowess but it’s still basically a dead ability in the many non-regen matchups.
    4: Power control like power drain/burn or special lock. This is by far the most relevant thing techs can do but ironically we’re seeing it show up less and less. Arcade, Prowler, and Ironheart have limited/specific power control while champs like Shocker, LDS, and Shuri have none at all. Doesn’t help that Kabam seems less afraid to make counters to these abilities nowadays.

Whereas lots of champs these days seem to be getting diverse toolkits designed for usage in all sorts of matchups techs still seem to be stuck in a weird place where Kabam seems insistent on making them duller and duller scalpels besides a few standouts like FAM and Shuri. Arcade and Ironheart seemed to be trying to buck the trend by having more generically useful abilities but Ironheart hasn’t captured the same general usage someone like Scorpion has while Arcade just seems a bit undertuned. Kabam just needs to start giving techs the wider suite of abilities you’d think they’d get from technology anyways. That and maybe some extra damage.
  • LokxLokx Member Posts: 1,240 ★★★★

Lokx said:

Fam would be a beast as a 7* so idk what you mean. Shocker and shuri are amazing attackers. And guardian can be a quick nuke if thats what you want. Iron mans damage is amazing when he gets ramped up.

Guardian, shuri, shocker, iron man are not niche and are extremely versitile. The only thing stopping shuri is shock immune really, but that immunity is niche as well compared to the entirety of the champ pool. Also, while i don’t have much experience to comment on shocker. The other champs do not need their awakening for their damage.

Iron hear doesn’t have much damage but i’m tired of people looking past her utility and focusing on just her damage which might not be crazy like ham or onslaught but can still be a great questing champ.
    All those champs are extremely good, But not as good as the powerhouses of other class, that's the debate.
    I think fam is a powerhouse. He is versatile enough to do insane damage to champs outside his class advantage. In bg he can do fights extremely quickly and his play style is fairly easy.
    edited August 18
    Squidopus said:

The issue with techs these days is that they’re too pigeonholed into being mutant counters and little else, and even then the crop of mutants designed to handle Nimrod like Onslaught and Dust have put that niche under threat. Too many of the tech class’s hallmark abilities are really only anti-mutant tech:

1: Invalidate. Prowess is basically restricted to only mutants and the occasional node.
    2: Armor up buffs. The base ability of increasing armor isn’t very useful and its utility is, again, only really good for some mutants and the occasional node like dress code.
    3: Heal block. Regen is more widespread than prowess but it’s still basically a dead ability in the many non-regen matchups.
    4: Power control like power drain/burn or special lock. This is by far the most relevant thing techs can do but ironically we’re seeing it show up less and less. Arcade, Prowler, and Ironheart have limited/specific power control while champs like Shocker, LDS, and Shuri have none at all. Doesn’t help that Kabam seems less afraid to make counters to these abilities nowadays.

Whereas lots of champs these days seem to be getting diverse toolkits designed for usage in all sorts of matchups techs still seem to be stuck in a weird place where Kabam seems insistent on making them duller and duller scalpels besides a few standouts like FAM and Shuri. Arcade and Ironheart seemed to be trying to buck the trend by having more generically useful abilities but Ironheart hasn’t captured the same general usage someone like Scorpion has while Arcade just seems a bit undertuned. Kabam just needs to start giving techs the wider suite of abilities you’d think they’d get from technology anyways. That and maybe some extra damage.

What if they made a tech that could counter cosmic as well as mutant champs
  • WonderWanderWonderWander Member Posts: 80
    Before Scorpion, Silk etc came out, Science was probably the weakest class with only HT as everyone's fav for 6*R4
    Happy too see how far Science has come!!

They should do something similar for Tech

Before Scorpion, Silk etc came out, Science was probably the weakest class with only HT as everyone's fav for 6*R4
    Happy too see how far Science has come!!

They should do something similar for Tech

Quake, Cap IW, Ibom, there were good science champs back then, it was nowhere near the weakest. Back then I would have said either skill or tech were the weakest.
    Lokx said:

Lokx said:

I think fam is a powerhouse. He is versatile enough to do insane damage to champs outside his class advantage. In bg he can do fights extremely quickly and his play style is fairly easy.
    Plus he is super tanky plus is an annoyance to fight
  • Dab_westDab_west Member Posts: 174 ★★
    agree so release 7 star ghost thanks :3
  • xLunatiXxxLunatiXx Member Posts: 1,400 ★★★★★
    HB carrying the entire class for me in War, BG and raids. Give me more R3 Onslaught to kill please
  • WednesdayLengthWednesdayLength Member Posts: 1,159 ★★★
    EdisonLaw said:

Squidopus said:

I mean if it made sense for the character sure? But usually when people say that a character can counter their class advantage they're talking about a champ that requires specific aspects of that class in order to be countered
  • GlassbackGlassback Member Posts: 592 ★★★
    edited August 18
    I’ve got a R3 warlock, it was the gem I pulled back when necro opened for my valiant rank up and the only thing I use him for is a domino counter in BG. He’s my least used R3.

@Childish_Almino you're deffo right matey, the 7*tech class in particular is seriously lacking. Shame deathless vision couldn’t sort it out. Ironheart is fun but hardly a force and although I love guardian, I have both at r2 and they’re mid compared to my other 7*s.

Saying that, for me, mutant and tech are the two poorest classes at the mo. My 7* mutant roster is poor, people will throw sunspot at me but if you don’t crit, that sp2 doesn’t cut the mustard.
  • Maat1985Maat1985 Member Posts: 2,382 ★★★★
    edited August 18
    i would love a 7* viv vision so badly. she is the number 1 i want to enter the pool
    but...
    at the moment i am super happy with my 7* warlock and my 7* lady D.
    yes i have a bunch that i kinda like but are not sure if they are worth ranking but warlock and lady d are both hectic
  • Childish_AlminoChildish_Almino Member Posts: 36
    edited August 18
    For those stating that Ironheart, Warlock, Guardian etc. are underrated and all, that is not the issue. I absolutely adore my r2 Ironheart and they are great champs. But they are not as amazing as the top of the other classes. I really liked the argument of techs being so focused on countering mutants that they lack in any other match-up and that is true. That used to work back when classes were countering each other but with the game growing more and more diverse, the tech class either needs a more generic way of being unique (like cosmics have buffs) or just at least start countering mutants again cause thanks to Nimrod every mutant is either punishing shocks, immune to shock or doesn’t have any prowess. Kabam just give us a tech that deals DAMAGE, preferably to every class. 🙏🏼
  • SquidopusSquidopus Member Posts: 331 ★★★
    “Fun” little side note but it feels kinda weird that Ironheart was obviously intended as a soft counter to Onslaught but I find that her fellow release champion Dust is actually just as good at it if not better.

1: Ironheart reduces OAA by 150% against mutants while she has 5+ repulsor debuffs, letting her parry without triggering daunted. Dust’s parries automatically glance, so she gets to do the same thing without the (admittedly light) setup. Note that bc Onslaught is dumb Ironheart can’t fully prevent his sp1 effects through block so the extra AAR isn’t really an advantage.
    2: Ironheart has reversed controls immunity while her armor up buff is active. However, Dust has the psychic shielding tag which means she’s immune to Onslaught’s reverse controls on sp2 as well.
    3: both have heavy emphasis on physical damage that Onslaught can’t reduce or punish.
    4: Dust is not metal and can thus remove neuroshocks by dashing back unlike Ironheart.
    5: In war, Onslaught is pretty common on hazard shift nodes. Dust has more immunities and thus better play into these scenarios.

Basically techs stay losing, Kabam’s non-tech champions are better Onslaught counters than the techs they make for that explicit purpose.
  • Childish_AlminoChildish_Almino Member Posts: 36
    Squidopus said:

“Fun” little side note but it feels kinda weird that Ironheart was obviously intended as a soft counter to Onslaught but I find that her fellow release champion Dust is actually just as good at it if not better.

1: Ironheart reduces OAA by 150% against mutants while she has 5+ repulsor debuffs, letting her parry without triggering daunted. Dust’s parries automatically glance, so she gets to do the same thing without the (admittedly light) setup. Note that bc Onslaught is dumb Ironheart can’t fully prevent his sp1 effects through block so the extra AAR isn’t really an advantage.
    2: Ironheart has reversed controls immunity while her armor up buff is active. However, Dust has the psychic shielding tag which means she’s immune to Onslaught’s reverse controls on sp2 as well.
    3: both have heavy emphasis on physical damage that Onslaught can’t reduce or punish.
    4: Dust is not metal and can thus remove neuroshocks by dashing back unlike Ironheart.
    5: In war, Onslaught is pretty common on hazard shift nodes. Dust has more immunities and thus better play into these scenarios.

Basically techs stay losing, Kabam’s non-tech champions are better Onslaught counters than the techs they make for that explicit purpose.

Ironheart should’ve just been immune to Neuroshocks when she has an armor up. That change alone would’ve made her much more viable.

Squidopus said:

Ironheart should’ve just been immune to Neuroshocks when she has an armor up. That change alone would’ve made her much more viable.
    Or have some form of energy resistance to mitigate the damage. They probably didn’t want to have a champ that’s neuroshock immune just two months after Onslaught’s release
  • GlassbackGlassback Member Posts: 592 ★★★
    Squidopus said:

That’s a great observation there, never really looked into dust’s kit that much.
  • TerminatrixTerminatrix Member Posts: 2,774 ★★★★★

I think it’s not a hot take to state that the tech class is falling behind compared to the other classes. Science and Cosmic are most definitely the strongest and mystics have some powerhouses or make up with utility. Mutants and Skill have some lacking as well but still carry their weights, even with great defenders.

The tech class most definitely has fun champs which I quite enjoy, but most of them aren’t nearly as diverse in strength as in the other classes. Double Immunity isn’t as crazy as it used to be and some mutants even counter techs for some reason. Especially with the 7* Tech roster it falls behind and none seem like a perfect R3 unless you personally love the champ. Also with how good the cosmic roster is, they even successfully counter the amazing tech defenders with each having a hard counter or more.

Maybe it’s just me, what do y’all think about it?

Cosmics are supposed to counter Techs....that's the class advantage
    EdisonLaw said:

Squidopus said:

Shuri kind of does it since she can block a lot of their unblockable specials. And only a few are shock immune, but aren't reisitant to her crits. I use her against Serpent. She can also tank his Sp 3 when he gets that annoying power gain buff.

Squidopus said:

Agreed. Espwcially since she was supposed to be his counter. Kabam had a chance to make Ironheart a #1 Tech, but they dropped the ball.

Had a chance again when she was up for a tune-up, but they dropped the ball again.
  • NONYABIZZNONYABIZZ Member Posts: 485 ★★★
    edited August 18
    EdisonLaw said:

Squidopus said:

Please NO!!!
    We are already complaining of every cosmic champion nowadays being immune to nullify, neutralize, stagger or fateseal which are STAPLES IN THE ONLY CLASS THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO SUFFER AGAINST. Kabam is bypassing staples of the game such as masteries and class relationships. Magneto was the only understandable exception because of the nature of his powers now we've gotten a science champion with unshruggable debuffs and you want tech to counter cosmic too???
    NONYABIZZ said:

EdisonLaw said:

Squidopus said:

Please NO!!!
    We are already complaining of every cosmic champion nowadays being immune to nullify, neutralize, stagger or fateseal which are STAPLES IN THE ONLY CLASS THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO SUFFER AGAINST. Kabam is bypassing staples of the game such as masteries and class relationships. Magneto was the only understandable exception because of the nature of his powers now we've gotten a science champion with unshruggable debuffs and you want tech to counter cosmic too???
    That’s how the game evolves. Class advantage shouldn’t be static, it should be dynamic.