**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Newbie to Uncollected in 80 days (and so can you!)

DizzyDizzy Posts: 236 ★★
Hey folks - lurker here who's decided to share his story. It's geared more towards new players but as always, is open to all.

I just made Uncollected and I'll be honest, I'm super excited about it. I know there's a fine line between bragging and inspiring, so I won't even bother trying to manage that ;)

I do, however, have every intention of motivating newer players to make the push for Uncollected because (a) you can do it and (b) the benefits are especially outstanding if you're like me and have only ~30 4 star champs, no one above 4/40 or 2/35, and a base hero rating that just crossed 100k last week.

TL;DR:

1) Yes, you need to put in some good effort, especially with Arenas when you're in the Beginner and Intermediate brackets (first two months of playing). Many of my MVPs are from the Arena grind, not crystal luck - so don't blame it all on bad spins.

2) Frankly, if you haven't sunk too much time/money into your account and aren't happy with your roster, I'd consider starting a new account around March 8th to have enough champs ready for 4* Medusa, Mephisto, Morningstar, Blade, and whoever the featured champs are -- I'm thinking of even doing that myself since I don't have any of those champs as a 4* ( :'( )

3) Just try Act 5. The first few times you enter 5.1.1, you'll probably get (a) intimidated by 10k PI and (b) wrecked by the nodes... but if you're open to wasting a little energy, you're going to build a massive amount of skill and confidence pretty quickly.

4) In terms of champs and resources, I rotated through 8x 4/40 and 2/35 champs (details below), using a total of ~35 Revives in 5.2 (and countless potions from free crystals).

THE BACKSTORY:

I downloaded this game over Thanksgiving 2017 and pretty quickly started following the community. The biggest takeaways that I'll reiterate for the millionth time: GRIND THE ARENAS and FOCUS ON MASTERIES NOT CRYSTALS.

The first two months were pretty typical of new players who take the game seriously and read the forums - I went after the 4* arenas, and admittedly got really lucky with the champs being offered (SL, AA, SE Spidey, Void). The basics are on a fairly reliable schedule to the best of my knowledge, so you can plan ahead for who you want to grind for (e.g., Blade).

I will be the first to admit that I had a moment of weakness and bought the $1 crystal (Gwenpool) as well as an Odin over Christmas for the 5* shards - but that has been the extent of my spend. I think I could have done without it, but that's easy to say in hindsight when GP definitely carried me through a lot of early content, and my mastery setup is solid because of the units. To note: I rake in 400-800 units a week from Arena, Solo Events, and Questing, depending on how lucky I get and whether I'm clearing a lot of content.

Anyways, I got through an initial Act 4 clear pretty easily within those two months, and stalled for a while because I was intimidated by Act 5. I know Seatin did it with 4/40s (shoutout to him for encouraging us in the first place) - but I'm not nearly as skilled / experienced as he is, and I assumed I would need 5x the revives and potions that he used.

Last month, after I was able to 100% the Master Quest without any revives, I figured I might be ready to give Act 5 a go... and what do you know, 2 weeks and <500 units later, I'm Uncollected!

THE PATH TO UNCOLLECTED:

There are some outstanding Reddit guides and YouTube walkthroughs of the easiest paths and recommended champs for Act 5. I won't bother going into too much detail there because everyone's champs are different, and I'll let you pick your favorite content creator.

That being said, these were my main champs that I brought to battle:

1. 4* 4/40 Spider-man (Stark Enhanced) -- Awakened, Sig 10 (FROM ARENA GRIND)
2. 4* 4/40 Archangel -- Awakened, Sig 40 (FROM ARENA GRIND)
3. 5* 2/35 Iceman -- Unawakened, from lucky 5* pull
4. 5* 2/35 Hawkeye -- Unawakened, from lucky 5* pull
5. 4* 4/40 Void -- Awakened, Sig 35 (FROM ARENA GRIND)
6. 4* 4/40 Star-Lord -- Awakened, Sig 36 (FROM ARENA GRIND)
7. 4* 4/40 Gwenpool -- Unawakened, from $1 crystal
8. 4* 4/40 Rogue -- Unawakened, from lucky 4* pull

I think I used all of the champs a fair amount, since there's a pretty good mix of heavy hitting, damage over time, power control, and general utility. I originally wanted to wait on Act 5 until I pulled a solid regen champ, but it ended up not being necessary.

There's nothing too special about how I used my champs... Rogue was great for Flare nodes in 5.1.1 and 5.1.3, Sparky hit like a truck when I needed him (e.g., Power Shield in 5.2.1, Masochism in 5.2.4 despite his taunts triggering regen), Hawkeye had awesome power control, and Iceman was my lab rat when I needed someone to feel out the space and eat an SP3 or two.

One surprise: Void was really useful for me in 5.2. Since I had the Hawkeye synergy, and there's also Role Reversal in the whole chapter, he was AMAZING against Skill Avengers like BP, BPCW, and BW. Also, I might be mistaken, but I could've SWORN he was shutting down the regen from buffet and masochism with his petrify debuffs.

I really only struggled with two specific things: my first encounter with Bane in 5.2.5 (Moon Knight) and the Collector.

For Moon Knight (particularly painful since it's a New Moon today and he's evading), I just kept restarting the quest until I was finally able to one-shot him ~10 tries in. After that, I applied a +20% champion boost (my first of Act 5) and marched through the rest.

For the Collector... well, I just accepted the fact that I needed to use ~20 revives (including 2 teams). In hindsight, I wish I brought Sparky... but I left him on the bench because I was afraid his low base health would get wrecked by Bane. The name of the game was to land 15-20 hits, get off a special if I was lucky, get wrecked, revive, and repeat.

IN SUMMARY:

Guys and gals, you can do it. I know I've had pretty good luck at times (I pulled a 4* and 5* Iceman in consecutive crystals), but I also earned many of my MVPs from the arena grind. In fact, I've had pretty terrible crystal luck recently, pulling 4* Antman, Hulkbuster, Joe Fixit, and Dr. Strange - as well as 5* Magneto and Venompool (Miike, if you're looking, how about some luck on the one 5* Blade crystal I have the shards for!)

If you really hate your current roster, I'd legitimately consider starting from scratch and making sure you get Medusa / Blade in the upcoming months. Then, you won't have as many excuses ;)

And let's be real - it's awesome being Uncollected. Especially for someone who's relatively new to the game and still gets really excited about a 4* crystal - there are just so many new opportunities. After getting my title, I went straight into the Uncollected Event Quest and cleared Chapter 1 for ~1k 4-star shards... which previously would have taken me weeks.

Let me know if you have any questions... and I hope at least one of you gives this a shot soon!

- Dizzy

Comments

• DizzyDizzy Posts: 236 ★★
    edited February 2018
    And before anyone cracks a joke, I'm clearing content on Valentine's Day because my spouse is traveling for work ;)
  • I play with my account since start of this game i mean when it release and i stop playing with it 6 month ago. I have only 8 rank 4 r star 3 5 star of rank 2 and completed act 4. Then i started my second account in 6 months i have 8 rank 4 4 star and 2 5star rank 2 and completed act 5 chapter 1. When i start this game it takes more than 6 months to get my first 4 star
  • IronFist34IronFist34 Posts: 386 ★★
    I just started playing this game again too after a year plus hiatus. I'm still a newb, but I am getting better after watching Seatin's videos.
  • colbyscipio987colbyscipio987 Posts: 1,027 ★★
    Not everyone can grind arenas and Not everyone spends money.
  • DizzyDizzy Posts: 236 ★★
    Look, I'm well aware that the game makes it easy for new players to catch-up with a lot of seasoned players quickly (at least regarding 4* champs), and I don't pretend to know how frustrating that is for folks with 2-year old accounts to see.

That being said, my point is that new players who are really enjoying the game should set their sights high, because getting to Uncollected is tough but definitely within reach.

Grinding arenas is pretty simple in the early brackets when all you need to do is post 800k in beginner or ~1.5m in intermediate, especially if you're only going for one of the two arenas and you're spending in-game time on arenas rather than quests.

And, assuming the masteries I used were critical, it would have just taken an extra month to earn the units I needed to unlock them.