**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Solution to Piloting Alliances in AW

Comments

• MattScottMattScott Posts: 587 ★★
    Tjk602 wrote: »
    Mike or adora, can you respond and acknowledge this is an issue? I also submitted a ticket and have video showing alliance piloting. These piloting alliance should be disqualified from season rewards

Nope. They will only be excluded from the content creator program. No action will be taken against them.
  • RektorRektor Posts: 678 ★★★
    Account sharing is cheating. In high school you dont get out of trouble because you copied someone elses answers for a test. You still get in trouble for cheating. In a relationship you dont get a free pass by sleeping with someone else and say "well they told me to". Thats still cheating.
    People are getting defensive because they know they are guilty and if kabam actually decides to address this then these defensive people are at risk of losing there accounts or rewards or whatever.
    If your in an alliance that requires pilots then either you are not good enough to be playing in that tier or the alliance is not strong enough to be playing that content. If you dont have a life in the real world then you shouldnt be playing this game in the first place.

“Account sharing” is vague though. There’s a big difference between what’s happening in AW right now versus just moving for someone in your alliance because they’re on a date or in a business meeting.

To use your high school analogy— what’s happening in AW right now is the top 5 students in the class are making $1000 a week taking everyone else’s tests for them.

AW is supposed to be 30 vs 30 various skill levels and champ rosters on one team beating another team. Instead, we got the high school valedictorian versus the salutatorian making every move on the map for the rich kids who sleep in the back of class but still want to go to Harvard.

And yea, that’s cheating
  • Rektor wrote: »
    Account sharing is cheating. In high school you dont get out of trouble because you copied someone elses answers for a test. You still get in trouble for cheating. In a relationship you dont get a free pass by sleeping with someone else and say "well they told me to". Thats still cheating.
    People are getting defensive because they know they are guilty and if kabam actually decides to address this then these defensive people are at risk of losing there accounts or rewards or whatever.
    If your in an alliance that requires pilots then either you are not good enough to be playing in that tier or the alliance is not strong enough to be playing that content. If you dont have a life in the real world then you shouldnt be playing this game in the first place.

“Account sharing” is vague though. There’s a big difference between what’s happening in AW right now versus just moving for someone in your alliance because they’re on a date or in a business meeting.

To use your high school analogy— what’s happening in AW right now is the top 5 students in the class are making $1000 a week taking everyone else’s tests for them.

AW is supposed to be 30 vs 30 various skill levels and champ rosters on one team beating another team. Instead, we got the high school valedictorian versus the salutatorian making every move on the map for the rich kids who sleep in the back of class but still want to go to Harvard.

And yea, that’s cheating

Tho I agree with you on most of this, I don't on the aq side of things. Even moving a spot or two is the same help to the alliance. It's also equally against the rules. Both aq (at some levels) and aw require time, coordination, and some level of skill dependent on where you are in game. Moving another player in order to complete a map is technically cheating to get rewards and stay in tier. If players can't do what's necessary to complete the maps they choose, maybe they should choose a new map.

In a weird way, this is almost the same argument many lower level players make about the difficulty of some event quests. They want the rewards, but aren't able to get them because of a difficulty issue. If they allowed someone to log in for them and complete it, is that OK? It was just one node that they really had a problem with. And they were on a date. Nah, it's the same ****. Your account, your moves, your problem. When you start conceding just because of this or that special circumstance (or this or that player), you've created a slippery slope. Every player has some sort of real life stuff. Not every player decides the best way around them is cheating.
    Rektor wrote: »

And yea, that’s cheating

Moving someone in aq isn’t just “moving them”. It’s fighting the fights. Aka piloting.

And to keep with what you’re saying 30v30. ThatAQ, (which is your 30 vs every other alliances 30) That was 29v everyone else’s 30. So because the cheating wasn’t as severe it doesn’t deserve to be punished?

If the validictorian only took home one kids test. Does that kid not deserve to be punished?
    chunkyb wrote: »

And yea, that’s cheating

Tho I agree with you on most of this, I don't on the aq side of things. Even moving a spot or two is the same help to the alliance. It's also equally against the rules. Both aq (at some levels) and aw require time, coordination, and some level of skill dependent on where you are in game. Moving another player in order to complete a map is technically cheating to get rewards and stay in tier. If players can't do what's necessary to complete the maps they choose, maybe they should choose a new map.

In a weird way, this is almost the same argument many lower level players make about the difficulty of some event quests. They want the rewards, but aren't able to get them because of a difficulty issue. If they allowed someone to log in for them and complete it, is that OK? It was just one node that they really had a problem with. And they were on a date. Nah, it's the same ****. Your account, your moves, your problem. When you start conceding just because of this or that special circumstance (or this or that player), you've created a slippery slope. Every player has some sort of real life stuff. Not every player decides the best way around them is cheating.

I’m not arguing against you. I just don’t really have an opinion on AQ bc i don’t move for anyone and no one moves for me so it’s irrelevant to me. It’s you against kabam with prestige ultimately dictating your rewards after 5 days of simple and boring fights. It’s robotic nonsense that is required for glory.

What’s happening in AW is actually a travesty. You foul your opponent’s worst free throw shooter expecting him to miss, but wait.. his team paid the best free throw shooter in the entire sport to shoot for him. And now you lost. EAD.
    MattScott wrote: »

And yea, that’s cheating

Moving someone in aq isn’t just “moving them”. It’s fighting the fights. Aka piloting.

And to keep with what you’re saying 30v30. ThatAQ, (which is your 30 vs every other alliances 30) That was 29v everyone else’s 30. So because the cheating wasn’t as severe it doesn’t deserve to be punished?

If the validictorian only took home one kids test. Does that kid not deserve to be punished?

Yea.. that’s a whole bunch of words in my mouth that I didn’t actually say

You can focus on AQ piloting if you want. I’m focused on AW right now.
    CpcBoyboy wrote: »
    when u see AW are 3 vs 30 .. how many alliances are piloting, u see on old stats before alliances have 60 deaths, now with new season only 9 deaths ? wow where aure super all skilled now or some do 5 death vs also a top tiers alliance? everybody know all want to be top3 need super pilots, so AW is Pilot vs Pilot war

Hey cpc. I used to be in legion with you. How you been?
  • Rektor wrote: »

And yea, that’s cheating

I’m not arguing against you. I just don’t really have an opinion on AQ bc i don’t move for anyone and no one moves for me so it’s irrelevant to me. It’s you against kabam with prestige ultimately dictating your rewards after 5 days of simple and boring fights. It’s robotic nonsense that is required for glory.

What’s happening in AW is actually a travesty. You foul your opponent’s worst free throw shooter expecting him to miss, but wait.. his team paid the best free throw shooter in the entire sport to shoot for him. And now you lost. EAD.

And I agree with what you're saying. I just feel like you're overlooking that aq (for quite a long time) has been where you get a steady stream of ranking resources. I do get that people cheating in a direct competition feels worse. But think of what the piloting alliances have been able to do over years of aq. Think of how many rankings they've done with the top tier rewards. The rich have gotten richer by cheating in simple and boring fights... All for those rewards

And yea, that’s cheating

And I agree with what you're saying. I just feel like you're overlooking that aq (for quite a long time) has been where you get a steady stream of ranking resources. I do get that people cheating in a direct competition feels worse. But think of what the piloting alliances have been able to do over years of aq. Think of how many rankings they've done with the top tier rewards. The rich have gotten richer by cheating in simple and boring fights... All for those rewards

Exactly. Just because now war is more important, aq doesn’t matter as much?

Piloting is piloting.
  • CpcBoyboy wrote: »
    when u see AW are 3 vs 30 .. how many alliances are piloting, u see on old stats before alliances have 60 deaths, now with new season only 9 deaths ? wow where aure super all skilled now or some do 5 death vs also a top tiers alliance? everybody know all want to be top3 need super pilots, so AW is Pilot vs Pilot war

Agree here. Old stats not matching to current wars is extremely prevalent right now. I hear several people mention it daily. Wonder why
    edited February 2018

And yea, that’s cheating

That’s fair.

Direct competition feels worse. What’s the point of the AW season if it’s not an actual competition? Just sell the season rewards in the unit store and let them pay kabam directly and cut out the mercs in the middle. Better that than wasting everyone else’s time and resources.
  • The most frustrating part to me is that it wouldn't be a very difficult problem to fix. There's a point where condoning a behavior becomes enabling and supporting that behavior. The player base, as a whole, isn't stupid. People can make excuses, rationales, and denials.. But many of us have first hand knowledge of what goes on. We know because we've seen it or because we've had trustworthy people explain it or because we've been told we have to share login info to join an alliance.

Kabam is right to not just take random player complaints at face value. People will say any number of things for any number of reasons. This isn't one of those cases tho. I'd love to see some of their test accounts be set up as true players. Give them high enough prestige and desirable champs, but nothing over the top. Then let those accounts try to join some alliances. Share the login info when it's requested... Because it'll be requested.. And then watch. Try out the top 100 alliances and see what you get.
  • I’m mostly just thinking aloud that 2FA with some “additional trusted context” provided by the device vendor (i.e., Apple and Google) is possible, but, yeah, there’s all kinds of nasty problems that make it kind of expensive to build. I wouldn’t count out that someone isn’t spending money on this sort of thing. There’s so much location tracking going on now, I think it’s just a question of time, since, well, I’m pretty sure most online banks want to see if they can track if someone all of a sudden starts withdrawing money halfway around the world.

Again, I’m not talking about using IP location, but things like location services that are combinations of GPS, cellular usage, WiFi, etc. (There was a comment about using VPNs, etc. Pretty sure location services causes all kinds of problems for people trying to hide behind VPNs.)

I’m also thinking this trusted context has to be accessible to both the game and the 2FA mechanism. Which is a really complex and funky user experience and probably why nobody really wants to do it. If I was asked “hey the app where you sign in and the game you want to play both want to track your location” I might get the heebie jeebies.

So yeah, back to the drawing board. Kind of a fun problem to think about though.

If this is the sort of thing that floats your boat, you might be pleased to consider that two-factor token authentication was actually originally invented (or rather the most prominent vendor of it originally built it) for the purpose of geolocation. The problem was this: in the military you have people that are supposed to perform guard patrols where they walk a perimeter or a path or whatever on a regular basis. But if the guard is lazy, they can just not do it and claim they did by writing down made-up times in a log. How do you *prove* they did the patrol, and not only that but did it at the proscribed times?

The solution was to create a clock that instead of displaying the time displayed a pseudo-random sequence of numbers. The guard would have to look at the clock and write the number down. A computer could then verify that the number written down was the correct number that would be on the clock at the time the guard claimed to be there, and the guard couldn't guess the correct number because the numbers were generated in a (to the guard) random sequence. If you place these clocks at intervals along the guard path, the guard would be forced to walk the correct path in the correct order at the correct pace to see and note the correct numbers.

A clock that shows a different number every minute that corresponds to a particular time but can't be guessed by someone watching the clock? That sounds a lot like a two-factor token. And it is how Security Dynamics designed their first product, which eventually became the Security Dynamics two-factor token. Security Dynamics was then bought by a company with a more well-known name in authentication today: RSA Security.
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    I’m mostly just thinking aloud that 2FA with some “additional trusted context” provided by the device vendor (i.e., Apple and Google) is possible, but, yeah, there’s all kinds of nasty problems that make it kind of expensive to build. I wouldn’t count out that someone isn’t spending money on this sort of thing. There’s so much location tracking going on now, I think it’s just a question of time, since, well, I’m pretty sure most online banks want to see if they can track if someone all of a sudden starts withdrawing money halfway around the world.

Again, I’m not talking about using IP location, but things like location services that are combinations of GPS, cellular usage, WiFi, etc. (There was a comment about using VPNs, etc. Pretty sure location services causes all kinds of problems for people trying to hide behind VPNs.)

I’m also thinking this trusted context has to be accessible to both the game and the 2FA mechanism. Which is a really complex and funky user experience and probably why nobody really wants to do it. If I was asked “hey the app where you sign in and the game you want to play both want to track your location” I might get the heebie jeebies.

So yeah, back to the drawing board. Kind of a fun problem to think about though.

If this is the sort of thing that floats your boat, you might be pleased to consider that two-factor token authentication was actually originally invented (or rather the most prominent vendor of it originally built it) for the purpose of geolocation. The problem was this: in the military you have people that are supposed to perform guard patrols where they walk a perimeter or a path or whatever on a regular basis. But if the guard is lazy, they can just not do it and claim they did by writing down made-up times in a log. How do you *prove* they did the patrol, and not only that but did it at the proscribed times?

The solution was to create a clock that instead of displaying the time displayed a pseudo-random sequence of numbers. The guard would have to look at the clock and write the number down. A computer could then verify that the number written down was the correct number that would be on the clock at the time the guard claimed to be there, and the guard couldn't guess the correct number because the numbers were generated in a (to the guard) random sequence. If you place these clocks at intervals along the guard path, the guard would be forced to walk the correct path in the correct order at the correct pace to see and note the correct numbers.

A clock that shows a different number every minute that corresponds to a particular time but can't be guessed by someone watching the clock? That sounds a lot like a two-factor token. And it is how Security Dynamics designed their first product, which eventually became the Security Dynamics two-factor token. Security Dynamics was then bought by a company with a more well-known name in authentication today: RSA Security.

With this example. Couldn’t the person who’s account was being piloted give them the numbers that were on their phone?
  • HeartlessHeartless Posts: 298 ★★
    Something should be done about it, I know in the last alliance I was in they account share/pilot a lot with their weaker players to beat harder nodes in war to up their attack bonus, it is a cheap way to try and win wars. I never would want to account share, got too much invested in my account to ever risk it.
  • MattScott wrote: »
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    I’m mostly just thinking aloud that 2FA with some “additional trusted context” provided by the device vendor (i.e., Apple and Google) is possible, but, yeah, there’s all kinds of nasty problems that make it kind of expensive to build. I wouldn’t count out that someone isn’t spending money on this sort of thing. There’s so much location tracking going on now, I think it’s just a question of time, since, well, I’m pretty sure most online banks want to see if they can track if someone all of a sudden starts withdrawing money halfway around the world.

With this example. Couldn’t the person who’s account was being piloted give them the numbers that were on their phone?

Yep. In fact that happens all the time in other contexts. Someone will read their token numbers over the phone to someone else to help them log in. This is generally frowned upon of course, but it is very difficult to detect or prevent technologically.

The way I used to reduce the frequency of this happening in other authentication contexts is I would tell employers to recommend to their employees that they use their bank card PIN numbers when assigning the PIN to the two-factor token. Because you would need that PIN to make the token work, it made people less willing to share tokens, because they would have to give those people their PIN numbers, implicitly giving away their bank card PIN numbers. People had no problem handing the keys to their entire company away, but were much more reluctant to hand out their own personal bank PIN numbers.

Incidentally, I sometimes see suggestions that are of the form "make it harder to log into another device." So if you wanted someone to pilot your account and you gave them your credentials, they couldn't just log in to their device and play easily. There would be significant hurdles - someone mentioned earlier a lock out. I just remembered that's illegal, at least on iOS devices. Apple forbids app developers from making it difficult for someone to log into an app from another device. If I buy a new phone or I decide to buy an iPad, Apple forbids app developers from not allowing me to simply log in to that device and start using the app immediately. I don't know if there is a Google Play policy that is similar, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were.

It is technically legal to make it harder to use the app on a device not registered to the same user but for technological reasons this is also very tricky to implement given the privacy controls that exist on Apple devices. You're not really allowed (as an app) to ask the phone who owns it.
  • They don't need 2fa or any other more difficult method. They have server logs. Keep it simple. Use hardware id's, build a user profile, monitor.

None if this needs to be difficult at all. At this point, none of the people doing it think they have anything to worry about and taking precautions is a pain in the ass. The door is simply wide open for them to account share at will with zero expectation of negative consequences. They won't even start to take precautions until disciplinary actions happen. Why should they? If there are some ultra paranoid mercs and pilots out there spoofing hardware id's at each login, so what? They're going to be an extremely small percentage of the overall numbers. The hardest step is the first step and that's why it should be kept simple. It doesn't HAVE to be a perfect solution in the beginning. Searching for a perfect solution must times just means doing nothing.
  • They don't need 2fa or any other more difficult method. They have server logs. Keep it simple. Use hardware id's, build a user profile, monitor.

None if this needs to be difficult at all. At this point, none of the people doing it think they have anything to worry about and taking precautions is a pain in the ass. The door is simply wide open for them to account share at will with zero expectation of negative consequences. They won't even start to take precautions until disciplinary actions happen. Why should they? If there are some ultra paranoid mercs and pilots out there spoofing hardware id's at each login, so what? They're going to be an extremely small percentage of the overall numbers. The hardest step is the first step and that's why it should be kept simple. It doesn't HAVE to be a perfect solution in the beginning. Searching for a perfect solution must times just means doing nothing.
  • chunkyb wrote: »
    They don't need 2fa or any other more difficult method. They have server logs. Keep it simple. Use hardware id's, build a user profile, monitor.

They do, in fact, do all of those things already. They could, and probably should, do more, but every time someone claims this is a simple task, I'm compelled to point out that in the general case this is not a simple task.

It is one thing to say Kabam could do more, and should do more. I'm right there with you. It is when someone says they could snap their fingers and find them all that they are completely unaware of what's involved or what is possible, as well as what perfectly normal legal customers do all of the time that they would have to distinguish from account sharers using nothing but the information within the logs they have access to.
  • DNA3000 wrote: »
    They don't need 2fa or any other more difficult method. They have server logs. Keep it simple. Use hardware id's, build a user profile, monitor.

They do, in fact, do all of those things already. They could, and probably should, do more, but every time someone claims this is a simple task, I'm compelled to point out that in the general case this is not a simple task.

It is one thing to say Kabam could do more, and should do more. I'm right there with you. It is when someone says they could snap their fingers and find them all that they are completely unaware of what's involved or what is possible, as well as what perfectly normal legal customers do all of the time that they would have to distinguish from account sharers using nothing but the information within the logs they have access to.

From all your posts, I do realize your area of expertise (or at least assume to know some). I'm also quite experienced at working server logs to build a user profile. Not an account.. But a nameless profile with habits and "tells". I'm also experienced at analyzing those profiles to make reasonable guesses about particular things surrounding those profiles. It's not really that hard when it comes down to it.

I'm also a long time player involved with 1000s of other players in the community. Users of all levels. I'll stop before I describe them or the things that go on in the community that most players don't even realize exists. Point is, I know what players do. Both legal and... We'll call it more opportunistic behavior. Regardless, server logs are amazing.

I could spout ideas about further methods to identify and track this stuff. It truly isn't as hard as most make it out to be, tho there isn't just one step in any process. But they aren't going to use my methods and methods aren't the point here at all. The point is that honest players want kabam to handle this and we don't really know that they will and that sucks. I don't think a mob with pitchforks is necessarily a good idea or helpful but pressure on kabam to make a move is usually a good thing.

• The spending wouldn't stop either. Just wanted to say that before someone says it would lol
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    Kabam Lyra wrote: »
    Tjk602 wrote: »
    Mike or adora, can you respond and acknowledge this is an issue? I also submitted a ticket and have video showing alliance piloting. These piloting alliance should be disqualified from season rewards

Hi!

If you've witnessed suspected cheating in game, submitting a support ticket is appreciated. We take violations of the terms of service seriously and will investigate the situation. But keep in mind, we will not discuss any actions taken with third parties. So you will not be updated on the status of your report.

were used to zero feedback or proof that kabam does anything. If there was this wouldnt be a topic right now would it

There has to be privacy when it comes to disciplinary actions. The fact that we are having this conversation is the result of a very public situation.
  • ArmandStar wrote: »
    we're used to zero feedback, yes, but it won't be necesary in this case.
    if they target the known culprits in the top alliances, everyone will know. if nothing changes, everyone will know they didn't do shi

100%
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    The spending wouldn't stop either. Just wanted to say that before someone says it would lol

Those claims are what confuse me most of all. From a business model it doesn't make sense to not be consistent with consequences in instances of breaking terms of service by sharing accounts.

AW piloting results in less potions and revives used in AW which results in less units used which often cost $. The same applies to AQ, and account sharing for arena results in less units used to refresh champions which also result in less units used. Why allow players to get away with AW piloting if doing so decreases your profits?
This discussion has been closed.