**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

Attacker Diversity for Alliance War?

edited February 2018 in General Discussion
This came to me during my stream yesterday as we were discussing Alliance War, and how there are all of a sudden a TON of Blades out there.

Of course Blade was made to counter a lot of the Mystic unavoidable damage type champs, but he's got a lot more utility than that for other champions as well.

Defender Diversity was brought about to counter placing Magik, NC, and Ultrons all over the place in every war.. and I think it's been pretty good in that regard. Those few points can really push you to the victory for having a diverse squad and use of proper strategy!

I would love to entertain the idea of Attacker Diversity. Something that offers a fair amount of points for Summoners willing to step out and use a Spider Gwen on their attack squad.. or an Iron Patriot, Carnage, Karnak, Miles Morales, King Groot etc. Champions we don't and won't normally use because they aren't "God Tier".

Now the beauty of it is.. You don't HAVE to use them.. Just like you don't have to place Defender Diversity.. you can load up your attack squad with the Trinity till you meet Neo on the other end.. But again for those willing to use other champs, or champs that diversify the BG's attack model, they are rewarded accordingly and could win through upset. :-)

Also I think this would be the Ultimate show of skill as to the Alliance that can with with ANYONE! :-)

What do you think? Do you have a counter idea? Something to add?

Comments

• I like it, but it would have to be per bg and the same design as the defender diversity. Otherwise Kabam would have to acknowledge that some champs are worthless by giving them additional points for attack. So a straight up attacker diversity system for the bg would be cool to see.
  • JC_JC_ Posts: 517 ★★★
    I love this idea. I’m tired of seeing my MODOK surrounded by 3 to 5 blades at the end of every war. (I use blade too, btw.)

This would definitely make people get out of their comfort zones. I’ve been bringing AA into war for over a year straight now.
  • project314project314 Posts: 67
    Naw, big money was spent on rolling for heros to use in AW attack. Any type of restriction of using them would be a slap in the face.

It's not a restriction, it's a bonus for your battlegroup. When we had the Thor solo event last week, nothing forced you to use the suggested finisher, but when you did, you got a little bonus.

I like the idea and I feel like it would also allow us to be more immersed in the game itself. Imagine 30 different champs running around on an AW map? I like it more than 10 Blades, 10 Starks and 10 Ghost Riders crushing the map.
  • Blax4everBlax4ever Posts: 683 ★★★
    Awesome idea, but only if they make rank up resources slightly more available, nothing crazy. Add T1As to some of the solo event milestones increase gold by about 20% all around. Then people can diversify their rosters a bit. Again this is a good idea
  • ThawnimThawnim Posts: 1,461 ★★★★
    @DorkLessons I like the idea, but what level of points for attacker diversity would be enough to be a tiebreaker in a match?
  • Naw, big money was spent on rolling for heros to use in AW attack. Any type of restriction of using them would be a slap in the face.

It's not a restriction at all. Let's face it.. people paid big money for "easy" and that' exactly what they got. Doesn't mean you also paid for the right to win. Champ still does what you paid for. But now there's an alternate option to win. With that same mentality.. You can't ever come out with a counter to Blade.. like.. Sabertooth..
  • Interesting in theory but I don't want to have to rank champs for attacker diversity.

I think this is becoming less and less of an argument. Rank materials are ridiculously abundant right now. I rank champs for the sole purpose of not having my resources expire.. And yes.. I do save my crystals..
  • Thawnim wrote: »
    @DorkLessons I like the idea, but what level of points for attacker diversity would be enough to be a tiebreaker in a match?

That's the question. I would think to award it slightly higher than defender diversity.. as it would reward true skill.
  • Deadbyrd9Deadbyrd9 Posts: 3,469 ★★★★
    edited February 2018
    @DorkLessons I love this idea. This is coming from someone who doesn’t use any of the trinity and I clear my path with ease in tier 2. I think it would showcase more skill based alliance wars instead of blade wars. It would give me a reason to use my t4cc on champs that I can use outside arena since I’m always maxed out in resources that aren’t alphas or basics
  • ThawnimThawnim Posts: 1,461 ★★★★
    Thawnim wrote: »

That's the question. I would think to award it slightly higher than defender diversity.. as it would reward true skill.

I like that idea, but my concern then is that it has to somewhat balance out against attacker bonus too. Because obviously while Antman could work to beat a Mordo getting said enemy down on the first try is less likely.
    edited February 2018
    You don’t need a blade to beat all those champs that you mentioned. That’s why you should get more points for using other options that are less common and not quite as a good of an option for an entire path. I can clear dormamu a with my own dormamu or a magik. No blade needed and I’m the bk in my group. You’re stating why this is a good option since blade is becoming the go to champ for everything. If an alliance can clear with attacker diversity on a non diverse defense then they should win. Diversity on offense should be implemented. It was brought in because the same defense champs were seen everywhere. And that’s what is happening on the offensive side now as well @Indrick781
    @DNA3000 I get that all the fun is using who you like. But the trinity feels like a cheat code since it’s the only true answer to the aw meta. There’s not really a node where all of those champs are a terrible option to bring. Changing aw could be a good idea but I don’t see any solution that would see the trinity being used less often. I like using blade but he just feels way too overpowered to me and to me that can suck out the fun
  • Atticus9090Atticus9090 Posts: 521 ★★
    Problem with what you are saying is that a **** ton of these unused champions hit like pillows and therefore if they hit like pillows, no one will use them no matter what if they cant get you kills in war. Whats the point in attacker diversity if you cant even get full attacker points? Defender diversity on the other hand is good enough, stops alliances from using too many Magiks, Ultrons, Nightcrawlers, etc, in AW defense.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,234 ★★★★★
    I can't agree with this one, simply because the reasons for Diversity in Defense were much different than this. Who people use for Attack should have no bearing on the opposition. I think this is just a response to one particularly efficient Attack Champ. We place Defense on a Map against the other Ally. We don't place Attackers, they're elective.
  • RektorRektor Posts: 678 ★★★
    Just make AW nodes harder and get it over with because they’re not doing anything that let’s people bring mystic wars back and that’s exactly what this will do.

Contrary to popular belief, Kabam lost money on mystic wars because alliances quit before starting, which is why they forced defender diversity on us in the first place. Now alliances explore everything even after they know they can’t win. And they buy boosts and potions on top of that.

It is what it is. Don’t die and place 150 until they make it harder.
  • MkdemariaMkdemaria Posts: 119
    I like this idea. Maybe we could add additional bonus points for clearing opponents with nodes on top of Full Attack Bonus too.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    I can't agree with this one, simply because the reasons for Diversity in Defense were much different than this. Who people use for Attack should have no bearing on the opposition. I think this is just a response to one particularly efficient Attack Champ. We place Defense on a Map against the other Ally. We don't place Attackers, they're elective.

I don't know that I like the idea as such but how does it have any bearing on the opposition? In this model if I use a Spider Gwen to take out a node I get more points than if I use the 5th Blade. The risk I take is dying and getting potentially fewer points. In neither case does this have any bearing on the opposition.
  • Deadbyrd9 wrote: »
    @DNA3000 I get that all the fun is using who you like. But the trinity feels like a cheat code since it’s the only true answer to the aw meta.

Which is why I keep suggesting changing the meta. But I think where both Kabam and the players err is that they think that changing the rules or the points in some fixed way will change the meta in a favorable way. It will change it, but it will do so by making some other team the new top dog.

There's always going to be a top dog, so long as you always fight more or less what you always expect to fight. There is one best team for the map. The map is a little different each time because players place different things, but not different enough. There are top dogs for defenders (often per node) so that gets placed the most often. There are top dogs for attackers given that defense placement, so those get used the most often. The two sides are locked together in a kind of equilibrium.

You can't easily directly change who people use to attack, because as I said that forces people to use something other than what they want to play. But you can change who people place on defense, because defense is non-interactive, without impacting them as much. The big problem is: how do you encourage players to place something different every time they fight a way? Answer: the map has to be different in some way. You're not going to change the actual paths in the map every war, but you can change the node buffs in theory.

I think that's the key to changing the meta, and I mentioned it in the alliance war thread. Give alliances some control over the kinds of node buffs are on the map. Let them shift them around, or let them add global buffs to the map or certain paths, something interesting that makes the map no longer predictable. And since the map can change, the best defenders can also theoretically change. And that means the attackers must be prepared with attack teams that can adjust to a map configuration they haven't seen and fought on before. Even a randomizer feature like MODOK's could be interesting: give both the attacker and the defender some element of randomized abilities.

I think there are lots of options here, but they all come down to this: give the defenders a way to upset the apple cart, then give attackers a way to counter that move, and then fight the war in a situation that the two sides have made substantially different than previous wars. Let me throw out a trivial example just to show what's possible (I'm not recommending it specifically, it is exaggerated to show potential). Suppose both alliances could apply a global node that would affect the opponent's champs on offense and defense and reduce power gain for all champs of one specific class to, say, one third normal. Do you choose mystic, and greatly reduce the problems of mystic dispersion? Or do you choose skill, and whack all those Blades you think the other side is going to use? That's the flavor of what I'm suggesting, if not the specifics (of course out of context that is too much of a sledgehammer).
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    Sentinel is the Anti-Blade
    edited February 2018
    I think a good change will be to get rid of defender placement all together. Kabam can make a way to generate the nodes and champs for each map and 2 alliances compete against each other while fighting the same map. Hide all champs and classes on nodes. Maybe even hide the node abilities until you are at that node. It wouldn’t really be a war so it could be introduced as a new gameplay mode but yubwould he able to get more “wars” in this way since there won’t be a defender placement period
  • beyonder8421beyonder8421 Posts: 881 ★★★
    Deadbyrd9 wrote: »
    I think a good change will be to get rid of defender placement all together. Kabam can make a way to generate the nodes and champs for each map and 2 alliances compete against each other while fighting the same map. Hide all champs and classes on nodes. Maybe even hide the node abilities until you are at that node. It wouldn’t really be a war so it could be introduced as a new gameplay mode but yubwould he able to get more “wars” in this way since there won’t be a defender placement period

Or... two alliances could compete while doing AQ :p
    Aq is a set map and scoring system. This one can be a lot more dynamic. You won’t be fighting the same champs on the same nodes every time. Add that in to season points and it’s nothing like aq. Aq points is prestige based not skill based