**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

So, I fought a guy in Arena yesterday...

ESFESF Posts: 1,934 ★★★★★
This post isn't negative or anything like that. If anything, I admire the person I am about to describe and might do something similar.

But anyway, I was doing some light grinding yesterday for Battle Chips, and I ran across the craziest thing I had seen in a long, long time: a team of 5/50 Punisher, Abomination and Rhino. The Rhino was awakened, even -- which I know you can do by completing LOL, but still.

Yeah, I tore through the team. But at the same time, it got me thinking: "Wow. This guy, no matter how resource rich he is, put his money where his mouth is. He ranked up not just one but three characters who not too many take all the way to max rank."

I found myself wondering: Did he use them at all for anything besides Arena grinding? Was it fun doing that instead of putting resources into the characters that we all know are elite, if he hadn't? Was being different fun?"

I have been asking myself this question for a while now. I'm not burned out on the game at all -- I enjoy it immensely. Love the strategy and some other aspects.

But one thing I hate is that I've talked myself into following the pack and ranking up the most effective characters instead of characters I enjoy playing. I broke out a little and took Red Skull to 5/50, and enjoyed that immensely. But then I went right back and ranked up an Archangel to 3/45...even though, to be honest, I don't really enjoy playing the character that much and don't really like the character from the source material in the comics that much, either.

That's it. This post really isn't about anything game-breaking.

But I think I kinda want to start shaping my roster like the guy with the 5/50 Punisher, Abomination and Rhino. I'm a solo player, Uncollected. I won't be letting anyone down in an Alliance with my Prestige, and I should have enough muscle in my roster to get an initial clear of Labyrinth done relatively soon.

I just think I want to enjoy, actually enjoy, playing characters I like more, instead of always looping back to the 10-12 we all know. Maybe I'll spend the next 6-12 months doing just that, starting next month. No time like the present, right?

Anybody else done anything like that?

Comments

• ESFESF Posts: 1,934 ★★★★★
    Shrimkins wrote: »
    I rank up a ton of 4* champs who I think are fun to play with or have some random niche in the game.

I like ranking up newer champs. I think it's fun learning to use them.

Awesome! Who is the most fun/random character you like that isn't one of elite ones?
    Fixxx wrote: »
    I never understood the desire to belong. I rank up champions I enjoy playing, pure and simple. It is certainly beneficial to my alliance that a few of them are champions I can lend for defense, but first and foremost these are champs I want to play, not champs ranked up solely for the AI to play

I didn't spend my time gathering resources to rank up champions just to let the AI use them

It has taken me way too long to get to where you are -- like pretty much everybody, I am competitive and I want to clear the harder/hardest content and get good rewards and characters.

But I've always kinda resisted it at various points -- I have a 5/50 Level 99 Sentry. I maxed out Red Skull instead of Spark and Star-Lord, even though I don't have either as 5-stars and it drained all of my Tech cats. I just haven't done that consistently.

I have a pretty good roster. Finally started getting some good 5-stars about four months ago -- it took almost two years -- so now I can seriously start to plan a legitimate Labyrinth run.

But I might just hold off a little longer on that because damn it, I want to take OG Ms. Marvel to 5/50 and benchmark the character. Same with Bishop -- I kinda want to pimp him out to 5/50 and see what happens. Or maybe Psylocke or Cable.

So, yeah.
    edited August 2018
    JC_ wrote: »
    Please stop writing stuff like this or I’ll end up with a 4/55 duped Red Skull just because his antmations are sooooo smooth. I love using him.

LOL

DO IT!!!!!

He is so fun to play. I don't care what anyone else says. That dude is fun to play
  • JC_JC_ Posts: 517 ★★★
    And I know what you mean about following the flow...I was determined that I would not max any of the trinity, Medusa, or Voodoo.

I ended up maxing Voodoo and he’s amazing but I’ve often wished I had chosen someone not so common.

If Red Skull had just a LITTLE more attack or crit rating or shock or ANYTHING that would enable him to put 4/55 defenders to bed without timing out it would be an easy decision for me.

Sucks that they flubbed up on his power levels so badly.
    Voluntaris wrote: »
    I love my 3/45 5 star duped Spider-Gwen

Ha! Because she hits hard. Yeah, she wasn't the best before they buffed her, but she hits hard now. I hope people don't still talk bad about that character

JC_ wrote: »
    And I know what you mean about following the flow...I was determined that I would not max any of the trinity, Medusa, or Voodoo.

I ended up maxing Voodoo and he’s amazing but I’ve often wished I had chosen someone not so common.

If Red Skull had just a LITTLE more attack or crit rating or shock or ANYTHING that would enable him to put 4/55 defenders to bed without timing out it would be an easy decision for me.

Sucks that they flubbed up on his power levels so badly.

Man. I hear you. If he hit even just a little harder...just a little bit. More crits or guaranteed crits on the heavy/intercepts, like I was suggesting.

He is SOOOOOO CLOSE.
  • My favorite champions to play is Moon Knight, TaskMaster, and Civil Warrior. I think they are under utilized and are super fun. I heavily enjoy playing them, I think i might have found my inspiration to rank them. :)
  • Spurgeon14Spurgeon14 Posts: 1,665 ★★★★
    I agree with the idea of ranking up who you enjoy whether or not they are "god tier" or the like. One champ I took up back in the day was a 4* Old Man Logan to R5. His attack is lower, but he has constant regen, shortened bleed, and when he stacks pacifism he can do a lot of bleed damage. He also had good synergies with Hulk who was in my primary questing team at the time. A lot people hate on OML, but he has his uses for sure. I had actually taken OML to R5 over Wolverine and X-23 which may be heresy, but there you have it. Lol
    My favorite champions to play is Moon Knight, TaskMaster, and Civil Warrior. I think they are under utilized and are super fun. I heavily enjoy playing them, I think i might have found my inspiration to rank them. :)

DO IT -- all three of those characters are not game-changers, as we all know. But man, Civil Warrior...underrated character, man. Totally underrated. If he hit even 12-15 percent harder...
    Spurgeo14 wrote: »
    I agree with the idea of ranking up who you enjoy whether or not they are "god tier" or the like. One champ I took up back in the day was a 4* Old Man Logan to R5. His attack is lower, but he has constant regen, shortened bleed, and when he stacks pacifism he can do a lot of bleed damage. He also had good synergies with Hulk who was in my primary questing team at the time. A lot people hate on OML, but he has his uses for sure. I had actually taken OML to R5 over Wolverine and X-23 which may be heresy, but there you have it. Lol

I absolutely respect that you did that, tbh
    This is a game, so everyone should do as they like. No real-life outcomes here. I am with you in that I rank champs I like, but I also keep an eye toward balance to ensure I have relatively equal number of high ranked champs by class.

Exactly -- I mean, nobody's crazy, you know? You can't just not have enough good characters to where you can't clear tougher content. How you approach it is smart.

I think I am just sick of dumping resources into characters solely for the purpose of clearing the next hard thing. My roster is good enough to do a lot of things. Maybe not as efficiently as some, but it's good enough. I've been around for a long time now and I know it's got enough talent on it.

I can take a break from taking up every character who we all agree is elite and have fun with some other characters.
    You should absolutely play the game in a way that makes it fun for you.

A dude on Reddit posted a pic of his level 200, 5/65, 5* Punisher... he did it because it's his favorite all-time comic character and also his favorite champ to play in the game... and you'd be surprised by all the support he got.

The few people who screamed, "YOU SHUDDA RANKED BLADE!!!" were down-voted into oblivion, but most people loved the fact that he was having fun.

Most people (including myself) take this game way too seriously... I've been way happier since I stopped spending money and formed my own alliance where we all just have fun and stopped being so competitive.

I won't lie: What really got me thinking was that dude's 5/50 Punisher I fought.

I'm an older player. I like the older, classic characters -- that doesn't mean Kabam should only do older characters because I recognize that my era isn't the one that is being catered to first.

But yeah. I kinda want to pimp out my Punisher, too. I do. I won't lie.

• UlysseOdysseus75UlysseOdysseus75 Posts: 188
    I love playin my beloved Gambit
  • ShrimkinsShrimkins Posts: 1,479 ★★★★
    ESF wrote: »
    I rank up a ton of 4* champs who I think are fun to play with or have some random niche in the game.

Awesome! Who is the most fun/random character you like that isn't one of elite ones?

I like playing with punisher 2099 a lot for some reason. Also Sentinel is highly underrated.

Cable and gambit are fun too. I like to try and stack up 10 charges with gambit and see how much sp2 dmg I do.

Also I think phoenix is highly underrated. She got me through almost all of 5.1 as a 5/50.
  • MSRDLDMSRDLD Posts: 913 ★★★
    edited August 2018
    In some war tiers, at one time in the past, I can see where Punisher, Rhino, and Abom had a use on defense.

It sucks that some popular guys just aren't good. Colossus, Ant Man, Groot, Carnage, Falcon, Magneto, Deadpool, Cyclops (yes, I said it!) And so on. They're mainstays in the marvel movies TV shows, video games. It sucks even more that some of those aren't even fun to play with. Like Colossus and Magneto. If they were fun to play with then maybe I could see ranking them, but there just is no good reason. No viable use. Not fun to play.
  • Whododo872Whododo872 Posts: 1,042 ★★★
    I maxed my venom, abom, and carnage just because I love ‘em so much
  • Spidey983Spidey983 Posts: 93
    Yeah, I've been without an alliance for almost a year now. I love it! It can be difficult sometimes but it's worth it for me. I rank up who I want as well. You can enjoy the game more when you do what you want to do.
    I love playin my beloved Gambit

I don't blame you. He isn't the easiest to play, but man, if you've got him down cold, that dude hits hard
    ESF wrote: »

I like playing with punisher 2099 a lot for some reason. Also Sentinel is highly underrated.

Cable and gambit are fun too. I like to try and stack up 10 charges with gambit and see how much sp2 dmg I do.

Also I think phoenix is highly underrated. She got me through almost all of 5.1 as a 5/50.

For real? I have always wanted to get into Punisher 2099. Does he need to be duped?

MSRDLD wrote: »
    In some war tiers, at one time in the past, I can see where Punisher, Rhino, and Abom had a use on defense.

It sucks that some popular guys just aren't good. Colossus, Ant Man, Groot, Carnage, Falcon, Magneto, Deadpool, Cyclops (yes, I said it!) And so on. They're mainstays in the marvel movies TV shows, video games. It sucks even more that some of those aren't even fun to play with. Like Colossus and Magneto. If they were fun to play with then maybe I could see ranking them, but there just is no good reason. No viable use. Not fun to play.

I hear you. I tried everything I could think of to make myself believe that Magneto was even kinda fun to play. I tried everything.

He's just so not fun to play. Kills me a little inside