**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Paying for something that used to be free?

ChadhoganChadhogan Posts: 460 ★★★
Everyone seems to be pretty happy with getting to change their in-game name and I get that but as someone who has done it in the past why is it going to cost a tenners worth of units now? Seems like a bit of a sneaky move to me. Anybody think that paying for something that used to be free is a promising look at the future of the game we love ?

Comments

• Options
    The 3 month rule was in place when changing your name was free so that's not the issue. As for units being easy to come by again that's true but units are for using to progress in the game not to use for something that used to be free and does nothing for your progression. I just think that it is another one of the many ways the game claws back resources and I don't think it's anything other than that
  • Options
    Chadhogan wrote: »
    The 3 month rule was in place when changing your name was free so that's not the issue. As for units being easy to come by again that's true but units are for using to progress in the game not to use for something that used to be free and does nothing for your progression. I just think that it is another one of the many ways the game claws back resources and I don't think it's anything other than that

Can't claw back your resources if you don't change your name ;)
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,254 ★★★★★
    How many times would you need a name change, anyway?
  • Options
    How many times would you need a name change, anyway?

I don't know once every 90 days lol if it's any more your bang out of luck
  • Options
    Helicopter_dugdugdugHelicopter_dugdugdug Posts: 555 ★★★
    edited September 2018
    Name chanhe shouldn’t be allowed after level 59...
  • Options
    MattPartMattPart Posts: 69
    edited September 2018
    Am I the only one against these changes?

The in-game names should stay the same in most cases.

I can think of three reasons of changing the in-game name that would make any sense:
    - selling account (against the tos so nothing to discuss here anyway)
    - changing the name that was typed quickly with a mistake or random because people would not expect to stay with a game for long (already possible via support)
    - adding timezone or other useful info to it (could better be solved by adding this as another field)

What was the case before - unofficial ability to change by contacting the support if really needed - was perfect! I am not sure how many requests like this Kabam was having but I think most people would never know about it, if someone felt they really needed it they could look, ask and have it, so I don't think it was that common. I only met a few players who did it during my career in the game which lasts longer than 3 years.

With these changes, Kabam is basically encouraging everyone to change their names on a whim by giving free (virtually) tickets. This creates a chaos - you won't be able a recognize a person you once knew or check on how your former alliance mates are doing without having them listed as friends (which is limited anyway). You won't know who is who anymore.

Please think about it once more and cancel these changes!
  • Options
    BapoiBapoi Posts: 995 ★★★
    I just realized something after your 'faith in humanity lost' comment...

Given the flinging of faecal matter between top tier alliances and the alleged logging into others' accounts...
    Just imagine how this could make things worse... The sheer fact that shared credentials will now open up all manner of nastiness beteen rivaling alliances... at the cost of units and a 90-day period of being named 'Isuxx0ralot' and such...

Yes, humanity is that rotten, and I'm positive it will happen at some point in the not too distant future..
  • Options
    I think the people who are going to cheat will always find a way changing your name won't make that any easier as you have been able to change your in-game name for a while? My post was intended to see what people think of being charged in-game currency for something that used to be free ?
  • Options
    DshuDshu Posts: 1,503 ★★★★
    I can only imagine all kinds of nastiness that this will spawn. 1 time a year I could get behind but 1 time every 3 months seems excessive
  • Options
    Chadhogan wrote: »
    I think the people who are going to cheat will always find a way changing your name won't make that any easier as you have been able to change your in-game name for a while? My post was intended to see what people think of being charged in-game currency for something that used to be free ?

You're right. Sorry about that. I just had that random thought pop up.
    From your previous comment, you're right, units really shouldn't be made to use on anything other than things that advance you in game, in that sense I agree. On the other hand it's a bit of a deterrent for people to change now (at the least the ones that aren't whaling it), and it allows the support team to not have to deal with these anymore, allowing them time for other stuff. Now... IF the effect is that it improves the support given, I don't really mind it. But yeah, units shouldn't be needed for it from the viewpoint of ingame progression. That I agree with.
  • Options
    Maat1985Maat1985 Posts: 2,237 ★★★★
    who cares really,
    why change your name all the time????
    unless ur trying to hide.......

change ur name once, twice maybe, but you dont need to change your name as often as you change your undies.
  • Options
    Maat1985 wrote: »
    who cares really,
    why change your name all the time????
    unless ur trying to hide.......

change ur name once, twice maybe, but you dont need to change your name as often as you change your undies.

So, basically, once a year if you want to keep them in line with eachother?
  • Options
    rdxevilrdxevil Posts: 231 ★★
    What if we raise tickets to change name? They will deduct units?
  • Options
    Don't think you'll get anything other than a cookiecutter response on how to do it ingame actually.
  • Options
    rdxevil wrote: »
    What if we raise tickets to change name? They will deduct units?

I don't think you will be able to change your name from the support section anymore that's now only going to be done with the token that they will put out for sale
  • Options
    CFreeCFree Posts: 491 ★★
    Bapoi wrote: »
    I just realized something after your 'faith in humanity lost' comment...

Given the flinging of faecal matter between top tier alliances and the alleged logging into others' accounts...
    Just imagine how this could make things worse... The sheer fact that shared credentials will now open up all manner of nastiness beteen rivaling alliances... at the cost of units and a 90-day period of being named 'Isuxx0ralot' and such...

Yes, humanity is that rotten, and I'm positive it will happen at some point in the not too distant future..

This makes no sense.
  • Options
    belli300belli300 Posts: 704 ★★★
    Yeah it’s pretty much trash that it used to be free and now it’s gonna be 275 I’m not nor will I ever be changing my in game name so even being that this doesn’t effect me it’s a super shifty move to make money and tbh my guess is this was there intention when they removed in game name changes and they sat on it for a few months so they could reintroduce it as something special the summoners would be able to access through unit purchases
  • Options
    Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,764 ★★★★★
    I don't mind name changes I guess, as long as is controlable like that (wait 3 months or more to change again).

What I would like to see would be another option in the profile to let anyone know what names that account already had. Like for example, click in the button and a list of old names appears, in order.

That way at least would be easier to track cheaters or other types of players.