**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

What is account sharing?

So if I get a tablet and log into MY account on it then MY account is linked to 2 devices. From what I've read account sharing is having someone else log into your account. How can you prove it's you logging into YOUR account and not someone else? This seems like a sticky situation and quite frankly inconvenient for people getting new phones or tablets to play on. I may be wrong so someone please help set me straight. I'm scared to get a tablet now.

Comments

• djmindblazerdjmindblazer Posts: 76
    playing on multiple device is ok thats not violation, however account sharing means while u logining in from france and after couple min u are logining in from usa.(u can play with multiple accounts on multiple device as well)
  • GrinderGrinder Posts: 242
    edited July 2017
    They can't. Don't sweat it. Just stay away from blatant cheating to beat content.
  • Oh ok cool. All this talk of account sharing had me rattled a little. Thanks guys!!
  • SnizzbarSnizzbar Posts: 2,144 ★★★★★
    I've got two accounts, and I use two different devices (Android phone and iPad) to access both those accounts at different times, and I haven't been banned. My assumption is that when you login on a device from a certain IP address then it's noted, and if the same account is logged in on a different device at a different IP address then it's flagged. Presumably if it happens often and the IP addresses are suitably different with regards to their location then the game team will further examine it and you run the risk of being deemed to have 'shared ' your account.
    Likely there are other factors taken into consideration too.
  • djmindblazerdjmindblazer Posts: 76
    @FrankenHammer playing since begining and there allways was talk about account sharing and how its violation of tos but no1 with legit proof got banned for only sharing account mike cant say u can violate our tos but if by any chance some who logged in ur acc use 3rd party software then u can say bye bye thats only reason why dont share account
  • Snizzbar wrote: »
    I've got two accounts, and I use two different devices (Android phone and iPad) to access both those accounts at different times, and I haven't been banned. My assumption is that when you login on a device from a certain IP address then it's noted, and if the same account is logged in on a different device at a different IP address then it's flagged. Presumably if it happens often and the IP addresses are suitably different with regards to their location then the game team will further examine it and you run the risk of being deemed to have 'shared ' your account.
    Likely there are other factors taken into consideration too.

So if wanna play on the go keep it on the phone and if I wanna play at home that's when the tablet comes in handy.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    So if I get a tablet and log into MY account on it then MY account is linked to 2 devices. From what I've read account sharing is having someone else log into your account. How can you prove it's you logging into YOUR account and not someone else? This seems like a sticky situation and quite frankly inconvenient for people getting new phones or tablets to play on. I may be wrong so someone please help set me straight. I'm scared to get a tablet now.

The short answer is that there's no way to prove account sharing, because you could have an identical twin, you could have gained the power of teleportation, a superhacker could be trying to frame you by altering server logs, this could all be a dream and you missed the kick to exit you out of it.

But it isn't about proving you didn't account share. They will only ban you if they can prove you did account share. And that generally means that on top of sharing accounts, you did something that signals you account shared. You shared it with someone that lives on the opposite side of the Earth and you keep logging in at the same time they do. You're sharing it with someone that is fifty times a better player than you and plays like a mercenary. They themselves use mods or other tools on their devices.

If you aren't account sharing with someone else, then they obviously can't detect you account sharing. But if you do account share and any little red flag shows up that links you to account sharing, or you share with someone that breaks any TOS rule, you are ultimately accountable for that and your account can be permanently banned.

Lots of players have multiple devices. Lots of players have multiple accounts. Lots of players play multiple accounts on multiple devices. Parents have children in the same household they made accounts for. People buy new devices. People switch operating systems from Android to iOS or vice versa. They play using VPNs. They travel to other countries. If their TOS violation systems flagged any of these situations as violations of account sharing, they would be banning thousands of players that did nothing wrong, and there's no evidence that is taking place.

If you aren't doing anything wrong, stop worrying.

I recently bought wifi on a United flight from Hawaii to Chicago, played MCOC on my phone until the battery ran low then switched to my iPad, then roamed onto O'Hare's wifi when the flight landed. I'm not worried about getting flagged.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    Grinder wrote: »
    They can't. Don't sweat it. Just stay away from blatant cheating to beat content.

Yes they can. Your Account has an I.P. attached to it, with a location. When an Account already registered to that I.P. logs on to another Account, that's an indication. If couples, friends, or family share devices, that's not usually a problem. When someone logs on in one area of the world and another an hour later, that's a red flag. These are my own conjectures, and I'm sure they have other ways of distinguishing, but the bottom line is they can tell. Account Sharing is against TOS. Whether you use a Mod for End-Game Content or not, it's still cheating. The answer is simple. Don't give your Account Info to anyone, and don't use anyone else's.
  • @FrankenHammer playing since begining and there allways was talk about account sharing and how its violation of tos but no1 with legit proof got banned for only sharing account mike cant say u can violate our tos but if by any chance some who logged in ur acc use 3rd party software then u can say bye bye thats only reason why dont share account

Ok that makes sense. I'm just worried if I log in on my phone at work, and then on my tablet at home I may get flagged. But I'll never use cheats or 3rd party anything. I've tried on previous games and all I got was a headache. All the damn surveys you gotta do to get the results you're looking for just arent even worth it.
    @FrankenHammer playing since begining and there allways was talk about account sharing and how its violation of tos but no1 with legit proof got banned for only sharing account mike cant say u can violate our tos but if by any chance some who logged in ur acc use 3rd party software then u can say bye bye thats only reason why dont share account

Ok that makes sense. I'm just worried if I log in on my phone at work, and then on my tablet at home I may get flagged. But I'll never use cheats or 3rd party anything. I've tried on previous games and all I got was a headache. All the damn surveys you gotta do to get the results you're looking for just arent even worth it.

This is not true. People have been banned for sharing.
  • Average_PlayerAverage_Player Posts: 80
    There's something called Device Footprint. Say Fred from your alliance, who lives in Alaska has your account info and wants to log into your account and play on it for whatever reason. Kabam knows that this account belongs to another person who lives in California through their logs showing that a certain device with a certain footprint repeatedly logging on through the past few weeks and months. These logs also show Fred repeatedly playing on his own account and device in Alaska. When they compare this data, they can easily ascertain what's going on... They know Fred from Alaska is playing on your account from CA through their logs.

Now, if you have multiple devices and all those devices show that they've only been playing on 1 account, then they can also ascertain that you're not cheating from their log data. Moreover, if you have 2 accounts and they all show that they've been logged in the same device(s) and same general locations, then they can also determine that it's 1 person with multiple accounts.. What's harder or nearly impossible for them to determine, is if 2 people from the same family share accounts... especially if the game is played a lot from the home.
  • Well I'm the only one using my account. I may have my daughter spin a crystal or 2 for me but that's it. Lol I'm worried about logging into my account from multiple devices may get me flagged. I may not get banned but I don't like being under scrutiny.
  • There's something called Device Footprint. Say Fred from your alliance, who lives in Alaska has your account info and wants to log into your account and play on it for whatever reason. Kabam knows that this account belongs to another person who lives in California through their logs showing that a certain device with a certain footprint repeatedly logging on through the past few weeks and months. These logs also show Fred repeatedly playing on his own account and device in Alaska. When they compare this data, they can easily ascertain what's going on... They know Fred from Alaska is playing on your account from CA through their logs.

Now, if you have multiple devices and all those devices show that they've only been playing on 1 account, then they can also ascertain that you're not cheating from their log data. Moreover, if you have 2 accounts and they all show that they've been logged in the same device(s) and same general locations, then they can also determine that it's 1 person with multiple accounts.. What's harder or nearly impossible for them to determine, is if 2 people from the same family share accounts... especially if the game is played a lot from the home.

That just answered every question I had in my head thank you so much!
    Well I'm the only one using my account. I may have my daughter spin a crystal or 2 for me but that's it. Lol I'm worried about logging into my account from multiple devices may get me flagged. I may not get banned but I don't like being under scrutiny.

Not a concern. Multiple devices are allowed.
  • WaldoWaldo Posts: 38
    I don't know how much a problem it is, or if it's against terms of services, but I use a VPN at my home for everything. One minute can be logged on with IP in Chicago, 5 minutes later Los Angeles, 5 minutes after that in New York. I did not get banned and been doing this for all devises in my home for years.
    That makes me think this was more about hacks and pay services than it was about networks and IP addresses.
    Waldo wrote: »
    I don't know how much a problem it is, or if it's against terms of services, but I use a VPN at my home for everything. One minute can be logged on with IP in Chicago, 5 minutes later Los Angeles, 5 minutes after that in New York. I did not get banned and been doing this for all devises in my home for years.
    That makes me think this was more about hacks and pay services than it was about networks and IP addresses.

Someone asked the same question, and the Mod responded that as long as it's not a program that can modify the game, it's not a concern.
  • using VPN? does it mean i can be ban. To exploit the real meaning if I play with my vpn transferring to 5 country while log in the mcoc account can i be ban? IF yes then they wrongly banned right.
  • TempestTempest Posts: 295
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    I recently bought wifi on a United flight from Hawaii to Chicago, played MCOC on my phone until the battery ran low then switched to my iPad, then roamed onto O'Hare's wifi when the flight landed. I'm not worried about getting flagged.

Good to know that the flight wifi allows you to play MCOC... I have always held off buying data because I thought they wouldn't allow you to play games, or the connection would be too slow!
  • RapRap Posts: 3,193 ★★★★
    Top alliances account share. People have business trips and life events that interfere with Aqs and Aws and so someone in the Alliance fights for them. Frankly that's a okay as far as I can see...it's when it's used to grind an arena or to rank in a daily by endless repetitious exploit that is the issue...
  • RapRap Posts: 3,193 ★★★★
    But a guy should be able to go away during an alliance event and not have to tell some hottie (or your wife even)..."pardon me I need to check on my Superheros! So my alliance doesn't hate my guts for missing the t4cc!"
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 508 ★★★
    Mcoc has no access to your device location (check app permissions). And a vpn can change the "location" of an ip address. So if 1 person logs in the United States, and another logs in Honduras, there is really no way to prove beyond reasonable doubt that they are account sharing.
  • Darkstar4387Darkstar4387 Posts: 2,145 ★★★
    Anonymous wrote: »
    Mcoc has no access to your device location (check app permissions). And a vpn can change the "location" of an ip address. So if 1 person logs in the United States, and another logs in Honduras, there is really no way to prove beyond reasonable doubt that they are account sharing.

I wouldn't bet on that, they already said that that have ways of keeping track of that stuff and that it's exactly what they are looking for.

They know roughly where you are, when you are playing and when you do things like rank up champions ( they have it timestamped trust me on that) it's all being collected by them and if you're one place acessesing and someone else is accessing it far away they will eventually go it and ban people for account sharing.