**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

On Tanking: Why Kabam is hogtied

HaminHamin Posts: 2,444 ★★★★★
One the of biggest black eyes in AW is tanking (losing on purpose during the off season).

I don't like tanking. It destroys the spirit of the game and honest competition. However, Kabam is limited as to how they can combat it. There is very little they can do. In competitive gaming, there will always be those that skirt the rules for a competitive advantage.

Tanking doesn't have an easy solution like the naming abuse did.

1) If Kabam says, "Ok, not placing a defense is now against the rules." People will place one 2*.
2) "Ok, you have to have a full defense now." People will place a defense of all 1*s and 2*s.
3) "All right. You have to place a defense relative to your prestige." They'll tank attack.
4) "Son of a... ok. Defense and attack relative to prestige." They'll lose fights on purpose.
5) "OMG. Defense and attack relative to prestige. Free revives until you reach a certain explore percentage." They'll tank at the explore percentage.

See the pattern? How far down this rabbit hole should they go?

There is no real solution to this. The only legitimate way to throttle tanking is to have a short off season. But, this, in turn, makes recouping after season for legitimate alliances that much more difficult.

As much as I hate tanking, it's best to just take the free shards and move on.

Comments

• Sixshot1Sixshot1 Posts: 459 ★★
    Rektor wrote: »
    Or just prevent war ratings from dropping in the offseason.

Having rating go up, but not down, sounds like a bit of a logistical nightmare
  • RektorRektor Posts: 678 ★★★
    Sixshot1 wrote: »
    Rektor wrote: »
    Or just prevent war ratings from dropping in the offseason.

Having rating go up, but not down, sounds like a bit of a logistical nightmare

Don’t really care. Fix your ****.
  • Mainer123Mainer123 Posts: 527 ★★
    SandeepS wrote: »
    Improve the rewards of the off season and people will take it seriously.

Exactly what I was thinking
  • CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Fairly sure they have a plan to combat/reduce it but it will take time to implement. Wouldn’t say they are hogtied at all as they created and control the mechanics.
  • Soreal12Soreal12 Posts: 23
    I think just dropping the war rating all together would help.. prestige can be the ranking factor and that doesn’t fluxuate during wins and losses
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,221 ★★★★★
    Change the way Season scores are calculated to incorporate War Rating as well.

In this way, tanking makes matchups easier but at the expense of Season Scores.
  • gohard123gohard123 Posts: 993 ★★★
    chunkyb wrote: »
    Could always try the flip side of the coin. Instead of legislating against tanking, make the offseason something people would want to actually participate in.

These would all obv have their own issues, but during offseason... We could:

-have throwback wars. Reinstate the og war map and nodes. See how your champs can do on old school thorns, slashed tire, etc.

-have danger room style wars. Lock it down to 4*s or 3*s only.

-throw random *fun* global offensive buffs into war.

-toss act 5 nodes onto the map, but give a global attack boost

-increase payout for winning individual wars during offseason

This is a lot of shooting from the hip. But it's a game, it should be fun... Especially after the stress of a season is completed. Fun is good. Let's have fun. We need a czar of fun position created lmao

The only good suggestion here.
    Hamin wrote: »
    One the of biggest black eyes in AW is tanking (losing on purpose during the off season).

I don't like tanking. It destroys the spirit of the game and honest competition.

Just like friendly games in football. These wars don't count, why continue competition in the offseason and increase burn out. Why expend the effort if it is not needed?
  • LibertyPrimeV1LibertyPrimeV1 Posts: 4,179 ★★★★★
    edited January 2019
    Could always trash the current War System and make a whole new one instead of trying to constantly update the original. XD
    (It's a joke, gonna save everyone's time and say that now)

But it does bring up a good point, doing this would eventually lead to problems like these. A clean slate would be something new while also resetting the most common exploits in the original.
  • Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    I think the best solution is to spread the best rewards across all game modes so the ridiculousness is not as concentrated in AW. Maybe put them in dungeons or something.
  • PaytoPlayPaytoPlay Posts: 762 ★★★
    Headroller wrote: »
    What tier alliances are doing this? And is it enough for anyone to really cry over? Do any of you commenting have experience with this or are you all just bored!

In gold 1 and we never see alliances tanking.

I’m going to say that 95% of the alliances don’t tank, so it only affects the higher tiered whalers, who cares.

While that is true not every alliances want to stay in gold 1 forever. Also tanking manipulate war rating during season so ppls in gold who complains about fighting a plat or master alliance with double their alliance rating during season and blame kabam matchmaking system can be the outcome of tanking. you are right though it affects top alliances most, but they are not the ones complaining since they are the one tanking and reaping the benefits.
    What tier alliances are doing this? And is it enough for anyone to really cry over? Do any of you commenting have experience with this or are you all just bored!

I’m going to say that 95% of the alliances don’t tank, so it only affects the higher tiered whalers, who cares.
    It happens throughout many tiers, prolly gold up.

Cry? Nah, but I would like to have some semblance of a battle/challenge when I join a war, it’s not just about the rewards it’s also about playing the game.

I’m in a war at this moment where an alliance did not place a single defender. Would’ve been nice to play without season stress, try out new champions, test new strats, or test some interactions, but nope the other alliance wasted our opportunity to do any of that. It’s not that they decided to take this war off but they are actively exploiting the game by joining a war with the intention of not participating for thier own benefit and at our expense.

We care, the people posting in this thread. And now you’re one of us I guess.
  • B_Dizzle_01B_Dizzle_01 Posts: 1,637 ★★★
    Right now I’m going against a alliance tanking. They have a 2900 war rating and were platinum 1. We were Gold 1 with 2300 rating. They only have 17 members. And 10 of them are alts with 20k PI. Fully empty map. This leads me to believe the alliance has 2 alliances. They built both up to be somewhere in gold level. Then one season they load up one alliance and win every war and the other alliance ranks them with their alts then next season they switch. So the higher rating one then has the bad accounts and loses and the lower one moves up. First time I’ve seen this. Pretty smart. I don’t hate on tactics. The game has rules. If you can use them and maximize cheers to you. It’s not that serious. And now with off seasons only 1 week it’s not like tanking does anything. Wow. War rating went down 100 points. No big deal.
  • HeadrollerHeadroller Posts: 255
    Drooped2 wrote: »

It.only.effects the guys who spend enough to keep the game alive screw them

Lol such a terribly short sighted logic

Gifting events will keep those 5% of players around forever.

Not short sighted if you think about what whales truly care about.....crystals!
  • HeadrollerHeadroller Posts: 255
    CoatHang3r wrote: »

Cry? Nah, but I would like to have some semblance of a battle/challenge when I join a war, it’s not just about the rewards it’s also about playing the game.

I’m in a war at this moment where an alliance did not place a single defender. Would’ve been nice to play without season stress, try out new champions, test new strats, or test some interactions, but nope the other alliance wasted our opportunity to do any of that. It’s not that they decided to take this war off but they are actively exploiting the game by joining a war with the intention of not participating for thier own benefit and at our expense.

Just sick of seeing people opening up threads about meaningless Drabble.

It’s the off season.....there’s no global nodes to practice for and if you need champion practice then there are duels!

If you lose to a better alliance yes, you miss out on those rewards, however your most likely to win two wars to get back to whatever tier you plateaud at and circle is complete again.

Tell me again how kabam needs to implement some grand scheme to fix something that truly isn’t broken for most people.

It’s the off season.....there’s no global nodes to practice for and if you need champion practice then there are duels!

If you lose to a better alliance yes, you miss out on those rewards, however your most likely to win two wars to get back to whatever tier you plateaud at and circle is complete again.

Tell me again how kabam needs to implement some grand scheme to fix something that truly isn’t broken for most people.
    Dislikes Drabble, posts drivel. Mind blown

People are preventing us from playing AW by placing no defense.
  • Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    Fairly sure they have a plan to combat/reduce it but it will take time to implement. Wouldn’t say they are hogtied at all as they created and control the mechanics.

Sometimes I wonder how in tune you are with Kabam.

not a diss. more of a curiosity post

the more valuable the rewards, the more serious it is taken. from gold 1 and below, there isnt crazy jumps based on skill. from gold 1 and above, there are crazy jumps and good wars. There is a lot of manipulation of the system from matchmaking and tanking.

From my perspective, the more kabam wants to make it competitive, the more players want it to be fair (or, players want to keep the manipulative system the same). If it doesnt affect you its fine, its why I have calmed down on rank down tickets. Right now, rank down tickets wouldnt hold the same weight as to why I am against them. However, the more competitive wars are, the more tanking has an effect or the more tanking is seen as a relative strategy. I am at a stage with my alliance where I honest to ___ want to try a new war attack setup... whaddaya know, another tanking alliance. This gives us a win for 5* shards but equates to a loss for seasons and could bounce us from our reward bracket.

I really don't mean this to talk down to, or a dismissive comment, but would like to continue conversation - and I hope this does that. This forum is filled too much with drabble and not conversation.
  • HaminHamin Posts: 2,444 ★★★★★

My bad.

Next time, I'll check with you - the keeper of all things meaningful and important - before I post.

Aw ####

I mean, after this post.

Sorry for the offense, dear Forum God.
    Primmer79 wrote: »

Sometimes I wonder how in tune you are with Kabam.
    No more than the next guy.

However I do pay attention to their posts and the changes they make relative to what the players express. THey have stated they are working towards removing exploits and anti-competitive tactics within the contest and specifically AW. They have shown this to be true when taking action against piloting and collusion involving some of the biggest names in the game.

Tightening up the tiers in AW was likely, in part, to prevent the behavior.

Sandbagging is highly anti competitive and regulated in some shape or form in other games. Allowing sandbagging has numerous deleterious effects which taints AW and the contest by extension. It’s simply not in their interest to ignore it and to have their game known as something where people are rewarded for anti-competitive play.
  • Samspade23Samspade23 Posts: 549 ★★
    I dont like to lose. We are actively winning in the off season because we are gonna get all sorts of red shards in tier 12. No more sandbagging for my alliance.
  • CassyCassy Posts: 1,065 ★★★
    I think tanking is a highroller problem. Lets say from serious Gold 1 and up. Not talking from retiered gold 1 Allys. They Do that just for fun and Do not care for tanking or Getting Gold 2 instead of gold 1 rewards.

I play in a retiered silver 1/2 Ally. Only 1bg. Sometimes only 2 wars instead of 3 per maintance cycle. Got a 16000000+ rating. When we started at Tier 14 or so we made silver1 next season silver 2, now silver 2 (christmas let US leave the last week without wars, Yay we got 2 weeks offseason!). Its a true fun thing here. Offseason we Do wars only on request.

I would like a Option:
    to Limit the hero rating in aw def/off (this must not be neccesarily the Stars class. a 3* 2500 or a 5* 2500 rating is much the same.

Or let us drop the warrating at season Start on perpouse (Take units, Gold, loyalty or what ever Kabam.)

Reset All warratings After 3 seasons. This would Take some advantage from the plat Allys. In the offseason before the next season a New warrating can be claimed to get a determined what Tier the ally starts in.