**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Should they recalculate prestige?

Obviously don't do this without giving out several 4* and 5* rank-down tickets proportional to summoner PI, but, would it be a good idea to overhaul the way that all champion's power index is calculated to be more reflective of how powerful they actually are?

It's silly that some champions that are SO powerful like Wolverine, StarLord, and Stark-Enhanced Spider-Man have such low PI, while other champions that objectively are pretty bad like Thor (Ragnarok), Phoenix, and Sentry are rated so highly. Something is off in the algorithm that is used to calculate this. They could tweak it to more accurately reflect real power levels.

It negatively impacts the game when PI is not accurate because you've got guys in top alliances ranking up Thor Ragnarok or Phoenix or Goldpool just to maximize prestige and squeeze out another few points in Alliance Quest, rather than ranking up good champions that they enjoy playing. It also means that looking at a defender's PI isn't always a very good indicator of how difficult the fight will be or how evenly matched you are.

I realize that doing this without the rank down tickets would be a huge mistake for exactly the reason that many have done what I just said above, but if Kabam issued rank down tickets I don't see any potential down-side to this. Is there one? Other than as some have speculated PIs of newer champs are kept artificially inflated to try and excite players into competing for them... but I don't think that's accurate as many newer champs like Ghost or Stark Spidey have very low PI and those were probably the best champs of 2018 and 2017 respectively. Plus Kabam is doing a good job of putting out new champs that offer enough new in terms of how they play that people are still eager to get them.

The only time I think it might make sense to give a crappy champion a high PI is when they are one of those super rare champs like Deadpool, Goldpool, Thanos or Kang (Deadpool is not crappy I know). Those guys *should* have high prestige and if someone wants to spend resources to make them their top champ just to show off, they ought to be at the top of their profile.

Comments

• IvankaIvanka Posts: 236
    I'm not on reddit and not even sure what that means but okay. Thanks for the vote of confidence on my clever wording. Anywho...
  • Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    @Ivanka That is part of their reasoning for NOT doing what you're describing. It gives a reason to rank up lesser champions and appear more "balanced" otherwise its just a quest for the top 5 champs
  • NiteAndDaeNiteAndDae Posts: 670 ★★★
    edited January 2019
    I actually like that some crappy champs have high PI. In fact, I would completely invert the scale, and put champs like Kamala Khan, Joe Fixit up at the top and the God tiered (Corvus, Blade - both of whom I have at r2 6* and r5 5*) near the bottom. This would then force you to choose for prestige or playability. Who knows, might see some of the 'crappy' champs start to get used more.

Also, no way on God's green earth would Kabam shift the scale right now and issue RDT's on this scale, wouldn't really make sense unless there was a really, really good reason for it. I know I wouldn't. I would adjust it so that as new champs come in, if they are crappy, I'd give them higher PI and if they are fan faves/ OP, I would tank their PI.
  • IvankaIvanka Posts: 236
    Primmer79 wrote: »
    @Ivanka That is part of their reasoning for NOT doing what you're describing. It gives a reason to rank up lesser champions and appear more "balanced" otherwise its just a quest for the top 5 champs

That's an extremely dumb reason, then.
  • id like to have a word...
  • Primmer79Primmer79 Posts: 2,968 ★★★★
    mutamatt wrote: »
    id like to have a word...

It didn't dawn on me until you commented. Id be against it solely for the new work involved.
  • ShrimkinsShrimkins Posts: 1,479 ★★★★
    Champion PI is nothing but an arbitrary number and that's it. There is no secret reasoning or algorithm that figures out champion PI.
  • V1PER1987V1PER1987 Posts: 3,474 ★★★★★
    To echo the comment above, there’s no algorithm that calculates prestige. It’s not like they feed stats through a formula and pit pops the prestige. It’s basically a randomly assigned numbered. Usually it’s higher to entice spending but other times it’s lower for... “balance” maybe?