**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Annihi-who?: Meeting New Characters in the Contest

Before working here, I was a big fan of Marvel and always enjoyed learning about who else lived within its Universes. One of the joys of being part of this team is getting to see these characters I never knew about coming to life within The Contest. It never ceases to spark my interest and once again we’re proving that with the upcoming introduction of Johnny Storm with Annihilus.

Now, I know about the Human Torch but I don’t think I ever really recalled reading in the comics about Annihilus. So out of curiosity, I went on a little journey to learn more about him and I’m just amazed by how much more this universe has to offer. My favorite fact for this journey was learning he was created by a spore meant to help create life on a dead planet-- only to become, more or less, an extremely intelligent creature with a single fear (all too real) of death.

(Fantastic Four Annual 1 #6 [1963])

That said, I wanted to drop by and ask if there has ever been a Champion or a character introduced to The Contest that you weren’t familiar with before seeing them in game? Who was it? Did you dive deeper to know more? I’m really curious to see who else had a moment like this in game.

Comments

• Mathking13Mathking13 Posts: 988 ★★★
    The closest to unfamiliar champions was when I realised that Agent Venom (who was my first 5* champ so I was using him a fair bit) was listed as a Guardian of the Galaxy. I researched and found out that it was just that Agent Venom just happened to interact with and help out the Guardians at some point. So yeah that was interesting...
  • Fred_JoeityFred_Joeity Posts: 1,168 ★★★
    Joe fixit for me
  • _Chaos__Chaos_ Posts: 143
    Night Thrasher, Dark Hawk, The Champion, Spiderman Miles Morales, Spider-gwen.
  • LeoGnarleyardoLeoGnarleyardo Posts: 355 ★★
    edited March 2019
    _Chaos_ said:

Night Thrasher, Dark Hawk, The Champion, Spiderman Miles Morales, Spider-gwen.

The champion to me seems like Kabams interpretation of Tryco Slatterus one of the only titans to survive Thanos' genocide
  • I didn’t know Joe Fixit, Omega Red, and The Hood were before this game.
  • FhfjghhggggjfhfjgFhfjghhggggjfhfjg Posts: 4,492 ★★★★★
    I didnt know who joe fixit, howard the duck, darkhawk, night thrasher and the champion were before i started playing mcoc
  • HeadrollerHeadroller Posts: 255
    The champion - I still think you guys went with the wrong name here!
  • 1haunted_memory1haunted_memory Posts: 804 ★★★
    Dark hawk
    Night thrasher
    Task master

Never heard of them until MCOC released them
  • The Diablo was a character I did not know, after he appeared I started to research on it. I really liked the adaptation you made to it.
  • DTMelodicMetalDTMelodicMetal Posts: 2,785 ★★★★★
    Punisher 2099
  • _Chaos__Chaos_ Posts: 143
    Bigbowlr said:

Guillotine, Morningstar, Aegon, the Champion. No idea who any of them were before the contest ;)

Aegon is a Champions original. Only in-game
  • Austin555555Austin555555 Posts: 3,043 ★★★★★
    The champion who I saw first being added that I liked was moon knight because his design. I had no idea who he was and was so exited to learn more about him. I always wanted a 4* till I saw him join the 5* pool and then, I must have him as a 5*. My very first 5* comes and I pulled him. I was extremely happy with him being my first 5*. And I wanted to know everything about him since I got him. Then I pull him as a 4* a few day later and was happy t get him as a 4*.

So yeah, moon knight was the one who made me so interested in the contest.
  • OrcDovahkiinOrcDovahkiin Posts: 323
    Night Thrasher
  • ThesurvivlistThesurvivlist Posts: 195
    Bigbowlr said:

Guillotine, Morningstar, Aegon, the Champion. No idea who any of them were before the contest ;)

Guillotine, Morningstar, Ægon are originals so that's understandable
  • Masacre! I had no idea, and even after his backstory was explained to me, I didn't have a total grasp on it. I've done my research now and am a fan!
  • liquidkarmaliquidkarma Posts: 80
    TASKMASTER and MODOK. i love them both now! particularly modok the old jack kirby illustrations, he is such a funny character. even in this pin-up, the caption of "just like the rest of us, our dear, sweet MODOK needs a little ME time to unload, download, and the like." an early anti-hero which i love.

taskmaster was the opening game loading screen when i first started playing so he really ended up making an impression on me. i just think he looks so badass. he reminds me visually of SKELETOR who was one of my faves as a kid.
    and while i knew just a little about DEADPOOL, the contest definitely made me very familiar with him, he is one of my faves now as well. I still think goldpool is such a great character creation as well, he just tickles me so much. i think he likes it a little too much tho lol!

and on the opposite side, characters i grew up loving but in adulthood had drifted away from but whose presence in the contest reignited my fiery nerd passion, 100% X-MEN BABY!!!! GAMBIT, BEAST!!, NIGHTCRAWLER, bishop, phoenix, magneto, cyclops. ahhh it brings me back. i still have from childhood a little metal posable figure of SABRETOOTH!!

now, if we could just get JUBILEE up in here my life would be complete.
    also, in xmen news I am so frikken hyped for the NEW MUTANTS movie!!! especially after finding out that it may or not be inspired by the DEMON BEAR storyline.
    speaking of which, I think demon bear would be a super cool addition to the contest when new mutants finally comes out :wink:
    edited March 2019
    edit-nevermind sorry
  • AhitlawAhitlaw Posts: 2,123 ★★★★
    Eapoq42 said:

Ahitlaw said:

Don’t laugh at me boys!

I didn’t know who Emma Frost or omega was :(

Are the girls allowed to laugh at you?
    I guess I should have clarified both genders so the feminists don’t come after me. But no no laughing :(
  • Eapoq42Eapoq42 Posts: 32
    Ahitlaw said:

Eapoq42 said:

Ahitlaw said:

Don’t laugh at me boys!

I guess I should have clarified both genders so the feminists don’t come after me. But no no laughing :(
    Oh ok, sorry then, I'll retract my laughter.
  • AhitlawAhitlaw Posts: 2,123 ★★★★
    Eapoq42 said:

Ahitlaw said:

Eapoq42 said:

Ahitlaw said:

Don’t laugh at me boys!

Oh ok, sorry then, I'll retract my laughter.
    It’s too late now 😭
  • Dexman1349Dexman1349 Posts: 3,060 ★★★★★
    Voodoo & Magik were both original god-tier champs when I first started the game a couple years ago. I still really have no idea who they are...
  • MastercrisMastercris Posts: 87
    I personally read a lot of comics, but the new warriors were new to me. They still are, because I still don’t care about them.
    funfact: doctor voodoo née brother voodoo appeared in a beavis and butthead comic and was referred to as "brother doodoo" by beavis. he first appeared in marvel's Strange Tales series, and is now one of the New Avengers. Strange Tales also brought us Doctor Strange and Nick Fury. voodoo is a zombie, and Strange Tales was started as a showcase for horror storylines, and was started pre-Comics Code so in other words it used to be a lot cooler. voodoo is badass though, beavis needs to put some respect on that name SMDH. voodoo first appeared in 1973.

magik, real name illyana rasputin, is a member of the x-men, as well as Colossus' younger sister. her storyline was fleshed out in 1983 and she then became a member of the New Mutants, with cameos in Uncanny X-Men.
    fun fact about magik: she originally looked like a pink version of nightcrawler, complete with forked tail and teleportation abilities.