Tanking...

Comments

• Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,913 Guardian
    John757 said:

DNA3000 said:

John757 said:

John757 said:

War Rating is the metric people are manipulating to take advantage of others, so I think fair went out the window.

No one is being taken advantage of
    I'm sorry, but I disagree with that.
    Allies are taking Losses to lower their War Rating, so they can ambush weaker Allies for Seasons momentum. The people who are trying to be Matched with reasonable Matches are being taken advantage of. All these people are doing is entering a Match. It is the definition of taking advantage. Only it comes at someone else's expense. You can't climb your way uphill on someone's back and not expect to make footprints.
    If you feel like someone doing something in a video game is taking advantage of someone else I find that sad. There are people who truely get taken advantage of in real life. Choose you’re words carefully
    I personally think there's a lot of grey area when it comes to how people treat off season wars, but almost everyone I know that plays this game plays it in real life. When you harm someone else's game play, you aren't harming meaningless pixels, the harm lands on actual people.
    I’ll make sure to have 911 on speed dial the next time I get harmed by a tanking alliance
    You call 911 whenever you're harmed in real life? Don't they eventually get mad at you for doing that?
  • Options
    John757John757 Posts: 1,085 ★★★
    Yes if someone physically and deliberately inflicts an injury on me I would call 911. Nice try
  • Options
    John757 said:

Yes if someone physically and deliberately inflicts an injury on me I would call 911. Nice try

That's not the question I asked. That isn't even close to the question I asked. That sounds like you accidentally quoted me while trying to reply to someone else discussing the topic of trauma triage.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,328 ★★★★★
    So you only consider harm as physical? Hmm...
    Remind me not to seek your Legal Council. No offense.
  • Options
    Do you know what harm means? You asked me if I call 911 when I am harmed in real life. Look up what harm means.
  • Options
    I'm going to let my comment stand.
  • Options
    You both are jokes 😂😂
  • Options
    That's the problem. People don't take it seriously.
  • Options
    TChalllaTChallla Posts: 85
    John757 said:

DNA3000 said:

John757 said:

John757 said:

War Rating is the metric people are manipulating to take advantage of others, so I think fair went out the window.

Allies are taking Losses to lower their War Rating, so they can ambush weaker Allies for Seasons momentum. The people who are trying to be Matched with reasonable Matches are being taken advantage of. All these people are doing is entering a Match. It is the definition of taking advantage. Only it comes at someone else's expense. You can't climb your way uphill on someone's back and not expect to make footprints.
    If you feel like someone doing something in a video game is taking advantage of someone else I find that sad. There are people who truely get taken advantage of in real life. Choose you’re words carefully
    I personally think there's a lot of grey area when it comes to how people treat off season wars, but almost everyone I know that plays this game plays it in real life. When you harm someone else's game play, you aren't harming meaningless pixels, the harm lands on actual people.
    I’ll make sure to have 911 on speed dial the next time I get harmed by a tanking alliance
    You’re clearly bothered because this is a practice you participate in.

Again since you walked down the language path I’d suggest nuance is applicable here. It’s certainly harming the level of competition of the game as well as the integrity.

Harm isn’t exclusive to physical and emotional pain as you well know. In addition to the type of harm i described it coukd easily be nullified if people didn’t do it. Since and advantage can be taken with the practice in the off season simply acting with integrity would solve it.

When i asked my alliance why we dont do it ourselves, the response was, “cause we ain’t b******” case closed as we certainly ain’t
  • Options
    😂 I’ve never once tanked during the offseason.
  • Options
    I just think it’s ridiculous to get upset over it like it’s something serious and has a negative effect on the everyday lives of people
  • Options
    John757 said:

Do you know what harm means? You asked me if I call 911 when I am harmed in real life. Look up what harm means.

In no English dictionary is "harm" going to be defined exclusively to be when "someone physically and deliberately inflicts an injury" so before I look up what harm means, it would be appropriate for you to indicate what language you're referring to.
  • Options
    DiablosUltimateDiablosUltimate Posts: 1,021 ★★★
    Lower alliance that encounters higher alliance that is tanking suffers emotional harm? So they would rather fight 5/65 medusa than 3star undupped star lord?
  • Options
    harm
    noun
    physical injury, especially that which is deliberately inflicted.
  • Options
    DiablosUltimateDiablosUltimate Posts: 1,021 ★★★
    edited April 2019
    One can argue that mind is physical, since it's projection of brain. With that said, it's hard to imagine someone getting hurt over game in any way
  • Options
    LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,643 ★★★★★
    John757 said:

DNA3000 said:

John757 said:

John757 said:

Whatever. You could make the same "point" about every aspect of this game or any game. Why bother having a forum or discussing anything about the game at all?
  • Options

One can argue that mind is physical, since it's projection of brain. With that said, it's hard to imagine someone getting hurt over game in any way

Touché and yes I agree on that 100%
  • Options
    John757 said:

harm
    noun

Where to start. First, you only quoted the very first line of the definition, which is only a partial definition. The full definition states that harm is a) physical injury, b) material damage, or c) actual or potential ill effect or danger.

Second, even that clipped definition states "especially" when deliberate, it doesn't define harm to be "deliberate physical injury." So your own improper out of context quote disagrees with you.

Third, you quoted the definition of the noun "harm" but "I’ll make sure to have 911 on speed dial the next time I get harmed by a tanking alliance" uses the word as a verb. The verb definition from the exact same source you improperly quoted (Google) states:

verb
    verb: harm; 3rd person present: harms; past tense: harmed; past participle: harmed; gerund or present participle: harming
    physically injure.
    "the villains didn't harm him"
    synonyms: injure, hurt, wound, maltreat, mistreat, misuse, ill-treat, ill-use, abuse, molest, inflict pain on, inflict suffering on, handle/treat roughly, do violence to, lay a finger on; More
    antonyms: benefit, improve
    damage the health of.
    "smoking when pregnant can harm your baby"
    have an adverse effect on.
    "this could harm his Olympic prospects"
    synonyms: injure, hurt, wound, maltreat, mistreat, misuse, ill-treat, ill-use, abuse, molest, inflict pain on, inflict suffering on, handle/treat roughly, do violence to, lay a finger on; More
    antonyms: benefit, improve

So basically: to harm is to a) physically injury, b) damage the health of, or c) have an adverse effect on. This is something that I don't think we really needed to use a dictionary for, as I'm pretty sure everyone reading has the general idea of what "to harm" means, and generally agrees with that definition. Except you.
  • Options
    LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,643 ★★★★★
    This is a non argument about semantics. We invest time and (for some) money in a game in which other people are involved. War is a competition between these real people and it is reasonable to want something done when one group of people are manipulating the competition in a way that is not intended in order to have an unfair advantage over another group of people playing the game. Whether or not anyone is being actually harmed depends on what you mean by harm. Whether or not you, personally care, whether you lose a war to a group that manipulated their war rating is irrelevant to whether or not others should care.
  • Options

This is a non argument about semantics.

I wouldn't even call it that. In every game I've played, there's always a small group of people who try to redefine what "harm" means as part of a larger effort to assert the claim that the environment of online games is whatever they decide it is, and nothing else. Everyone who cares less is wrong, everyone who cares more is wrong, and only people who care about what they care about specifically have a valid claim to anything.

It is silly and a little annoying, but fortunately it is also a marginal behavior that draws the complete rejection from all other players and the game operators combined. As a small consolation, in my experience the vast overwhelming majority of such players don't last long.
  • Options
    FugnastyFugnasty Posts: 115
    I think the tier multiplier being higher at the top levels would help.
  • Options
    TChalllaTChallla Posts: 85
    John757 said:

harm
    noun

John757 said:

harm
    noun

John757 said:

harm
    noun

So it absolutely applies to the competitive integrity of the game. The competitive integrity of the game is physically harmed by tanking. Let move on from that known fact.
  • Options
    You mean upset at losing enough to manipulate War Rating, just to get cakewalk Matches and take advanage of weaker Alliances? I agree.
    Your point is totally ignorant to the fact that we're all here discussing the same game. Unless you feel it's acceptable to be upset unless it involves the effects of your actions. In which case, I can't help you understand.
  • Options
    No.That logic is as backwards as a blind horse.

It is not more ethical to take advantage of people much farther below. It is anything but. My own personal view is it's cowardly. People can't stand the idea of playing fairly and losing fairly, so they try to use the system for an unfair advantage.
    The reality of it is, it is not harmless. The people who are being taken advantage of are playing honestly within a Matchmaking system they have no control over. They are playing and fighting with the trust that the system is designed to Match them accordingly. They're doing the best they can, and losing to Allies that shouldn't be in their vicinity, and that costs them potential Points for their own Seasons efforts. Points they would have had a more fair chance at earning had people not taken the weak route and used them for their own gain.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

No.That logic is as backwards as a blind horse.

It is not more ethical to take advantage of people much farther below. It is anything but. My own personal view is it's cowardly. People can't stand the idea of playing fairly and losing fairly, so they try to use the system for an unfair advantage.
    The reality of it is, it is not harmless. The people who are being taken advantage of are playing honestly within a Matchmaking system they have no control over. They are playing and fighting with the trust that the system is designed to Match them accordingly. They're doing the best they can, and losing to Allies that shouldn't be in their vicinity, and that costs them potential Points for their own Seasons efforts. Points they would have had a more fair chance at earning had people not taken the weak route and used them for their own gain.

If the alliance was 30 kids who only had 2 months to live and they wanted to tank an offseason so their last season could be the best season they could play, would that be morally wrong? Ethical dilemma right there 🧐
  • Options
    I'm not even going to address your points unless you are looking at the situation in all seriousness.
    In the words of Judge Judy, "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.".
  • Options
    I am, just answer the question. Would it be okay in that circumstance?
This discussion has been closed.