**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Stop making champs so complicated

2»

Comments

• Options
    Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★
    I agree with OP. With well over one hundred champions, you cannot expect to memorise all champions. Most of the times, I've a rough notion of what the champion does. Like: "Crowd Excitement on Korg means wrecked if you're not careful!" or "IMIW? Bring Medusa or get wrecked!" or this new Human Torch: "Red Hulk or get burned". But this won't last long. Ability descriptions are getting so much longer and complicated. If I would be new to this game, I would run away if I get one of those as my first 3* as I just wouldn't understand it.

This game is now four years old and its player base starts ageing. I don't know how many newbies still enter this game, but every game reaches a point that it relies on its established fan base rather than new blood. I think MCOC is reaching that phase. It means that the player base is demanding more and more (just open forums). Everything needs to be god tier and god tier only means ability descriptions as long as a telephone book, with sophisticated tactics and counter-tactics.

If Kabam does that, they will lose a lot of people who aren't skilled or lucky enough, in fact, the only reasons some older champions are reworked are 1) players demand it and 2) it increases the god tier pool. Kabam knows very well that this game is reaching its end. I do not believe this game will exist after 2020, when the MCU story arc is finished and the F4 are released. Who will they add that players will really get excited about? More fantasy champions like, drum roll, The Champion (really fire the dev who came up with that goofy name)? Or more totally unknown skater-heroes?
  • Options
    Fred_JoeityFred_Joeity Posts: 1,168 ★★★
    I mean if they made champs simpler, they’d have to roll out a new mechanic every month to keep things interesting, and that’s bad in some ways because it opens up the doors to having a single champ be the only counter to something opposed to a small group (which arguably is already bad enough).

If you think about it, complicated champs aren’t that bad. If you’re fighting against a complicated champ, most of the abilities don’t matter too much. If you’re playing a comlicated champ, you’ll either get used to the mechanics playing it, or put in maybe a minute to read the description.

So basically as long as they don’t turn champion descriptions into a 1000 word essay, I’m fine with the game evolving like that. It would be nice if Kabam keeps any champions they buff in the future simpler, but it would feel like a bit of a cop out if a new champ only had a few lines of text.
  • Options
    Colonaut123Colonaut123 Posts: 3,091 ★★★★★

I mean if they made champs simpler, they’d have to roll out a new mechanic every month to keep things interesting, and that’s bad in some ways because it opens up the doors to having a single champ be the only counter to something opposed to a small group (which arguably is already bad enough).

If you think about it, complicated champs aren’t that bad. If you’re fighting against a complicated champ, most of the abilities don’t matter too much. If you’re playing a comlicated champ, you’ll either get used to the mechanics playing it, or put in maybe a minute to read the description.

So basically as long as they don’t turn champion descriptions into a 1000 word essay, I’m fine with the game evolving like that. It would be nice if Kabam keeps any champions they buff in the future simpler, but it would feel like a bit of a cop out if a new champ only had a few lines of text.

They already do that. Stifle + obliterate is a whole new mechanic.

Uhm, yeah, the abilities do matter as a lot of them have many "if" and "but" that will get you wrecked if you pay no attention.

Annihulis description is several pages long in Word. And it is not only the ability description, but all the synergies as well.
  • Options
    ThemadpotatoThemadpotato Posts: 58
    This is why we need more exclusive 2 stars. That way, newer players could easily obtain them and learn from them and I, I mean we, can continue collecting them for our collection. Win-Win for everyone
  • Options
    KRONOSDOUBLEKRONOSDOUBLE Posts: 548 ★★
    I agree with the OP. Champs are becoming WAY too complex. Now I enjoy a little complexity here and there, but there is so much information about these new champs that it is difficult to comprehend their new abilities accurately or efficiently.
  • Options
    imaginejimimaginejim Posts: 333 ★★

Personally, I enjoy Champs that take some time and practice to get to know. We spend all that time acquiring them and Ranking them. Seems worth it more to spend more time discovering their potential.

****. I agree with you. Damn. 😂
  • Options
    Dexman1349Dexman1349 Posts: 3,060 ★★★★★
    One other problem with adding so many complicated champs is that adding more champs, adjusting in-game mechanics, or introducing new node buffs becomes a prime source of bugs. Every champ released in the last several months has had at least one or two "hot-fixes" because something didn't work.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing nuanced champions. It really brings out different play styles and techniques that I wouldn't have otherwise thought of. But there is also a difference between being challenging & nuanced, and being convoluted.

For me, the threshold is somewhere around Wasp/IWIM/Korg. Normal for the most part, but does need some thought and deliberate gameplay to generate maximize damage on attack or to beat.

I've posted this elsewhere, but "If you cannot explain something simply, you do not understand it well enough yourself."-Unknown.
  • Options
    kryer79 said:

And every new character just makes a ditch in an old champ with some cheap trick, now what is this new passive incineration ?! Just a way to make Iceman less immune... soon we’re going to find this in nodes or what ?

to

So this is nothing new. They have always released champs that counter others. Scarlet Witch randomly applies buffs and debuffs when hit by a critical? Where here is BPCW with his reflective stun as she can stun on basic attacks randomly. Oh, and here is Crossbones who doesn't even crit.

Here's Iceman who deals out coldsnap which no one is immune to. Oh wait, here's Sabretooth. And Corvus. Etc.

It is a matter of continually adding new mechanics and then offering counters. Wait a bit and we will have a character introduced who is immune to Nova flame.
  • Options
    BenQcSlayerBenQcSlayer Posts: 867 ★★★

• Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★

Personally, I enjoy Champs that take some time and practice to get to know. We spend all that time acquiring them and Ranking them. Seems worth it more to spend more time discovering their potential.

Sorry? XD
  • Options

Sorry? XD
    It just made me laugh after our heated debate the other day.

• Options

How to counter Domino:

• Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★

Sorry? XD
    It just made me laugh after our heated debate the other day.

It's all good. I've had many debates on here, some heated and some not. I don't take it personally, though. At the end of the day we're all just passionate about ideas.
  • Options
    Dartz_MagicianDartz_Magician Posts: 51
    @imaginejim so far as i knew, there is no any champs who are immune with a passive debuff yet... Even ghost and emma are not immune with passive shock, nova flame, void’s passive debuff (correct me if i am wrong)
  • Options
    TheVyrusTheVyrus Posts: 418 ★★★
    edited April 2019
    Most players do not study the champs anyway, they just watch a You Tube video on it and go to it. I am a bit older, so I prefer to read and learn hands on and I enjoy that aspect of it.
    UGH. Remember that distracted deaths thread @groundedwisdom? I just did it
  • Options
    LaserjungeLaserjunge Posts: 33
    I totally agree with Ultra. For the other comments TL:DR.

I also find most of the champs released over the last 12 month overly complicated. Just by looking at the length of their descriptions, it’s like reading a ducking manual.

In particular, I don’t like the 3 to 4 hit SP1’s or heavies that most new champs feature (e.g. the thing, human torch, IMIW, CAIW). I mean come on, you’re nearly pushed to the back wall after you dodged two of those attacks. Obviously it is used by Kabam to make the fight a harder, together with a ton of character specific nodes, but there should be better ways.
  • Options
    HaminHamin Posts: 2,444 ★★★★★
    No. For casual players, you can easily get through casual content with MLLLM with any champ.

The in depth abilities reward those willing to put extended time and effort into the game.

As a casual player, you can't expect everything in the game to cater to you.
  • Options

Eww... Reading... Eww... Thinking...

Seriously, this post is extremely silly.

Sure, not every game needs to be dark souls, but on the other hand not every game needs to be candy crush.

The process is:

Find out what you want -> choose a game according to that

It's not:

Choose game -> request to change game to fit your needs

That's just ridiculous.

To be fair, we did choose a game... years ago. And we loved that game, so we stayed. We invested a lot of time and/or money into that game. However, the developers are changing the game, and to the OP's point, that change is simply too much. That's not to say we don't want change or even that we dislike the general sense of the direction the game is going.

Adding nuance and variability to new champs is fine. No big deal adding phasing, or death spores, or even new types of incinerate. I just don't think each new champion should need an owner's manual.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    There are currently 148 playable characters, and at least a half dozen more NPCs (Maestro, Collector, etc). If every one of them came with a description like Human Torch, combined with all of the nodes/buffs/debuffs in various areas of the game along with each of the available synergies, the collective text would be the next Game of Thrones novel.
  • Options
    Troy_Elric123Troy_Elric123 Posts: 542 ★★★
    I don't wish to make them less complicated but they should buff older ones to match or be average in a game where newer champs have 12 abilities and 6 synergies and only 1/3 of champs can be used to counter them. while older ones have 1 to 2 abilities and practically every other champ can be used against them.
  • Options
    TheSquish671TheSquish671 Posts: 2,880 ★★★★★
    edited April 2019
    kryer79 said:

Could you please summarize Annihilus that way for me as well ?

@kryer79

Annilhilus: 60% chance for obliterating strike and stifle when attacking. Stun immune when activating it. Dashing back while stifled gives annihilus 0.90 seconds of unstoppable, consuming a stifle. Remove rod for10 seconds by nullifiying a buff, which stops these abilities. Don't taunt him with rod active.

I think that's it for fighting him, his specials do activate/pause/consume stifles though, but i didn't include that because it's more important when you're using him on offense.

I combined the obliterating strike and stifle percentages together because stifle only activates when you activate an obliterating strike. It's actually a 100% chance to activate stifle.

E.g. 100% chance to activate A when B, which has a 60% chance to activate activates = 60% chance for A to activate.(if that makes sense)
  • Options
    Ultra8529Ultra8529 Posts: 526 ★★★
    ^case in point lol