**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

An In-Depth Look at Which Character Should be Buffed

2»

Comments

• Markjv81Markjv81 Posts: 1,003 ★★★★
    At least colossus has gotten a handful of unique synergies over that last 12 months that make him somewhat less useless. When was the last time iron Patriot received anything?
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Posts: 5,343 ★★★★★

Pity there is no skill or mystic champs in the running as if you are basing it on class these 2 are the 2 in most need

I agree there are several fairly weak Skill champs; but at the same time, I'd argue that Aegon, Blade, Killmonger, Ronin and Nick Fury are flying the flag fairly high for Skill champions. With strong support from Korg and Night Thrasher.

Mystics, though...

We could do with a buff to someone mystical. Preferably someone with a medical degree, but it's clear that that's never going to happen.

Out of the current group I was definitely voting for Colossus. Right up till this afternoon, when I pulled 5* Kamala Khan from a Featured 5* crystal. Damn you, RNG!
  • Spurgeon14Spurgeon14 Posts: 1,665 ★★★★

I guess what I was looking at in terms of underwhelming is the 2015 Mutant champions. In the Variant modes, you can get five star Rank Up Gems that apply only to champions from 2015. I'm using Seatin's Tier List here, and none of this is my personal bias. Let's take a look at all the champions from 2015:

Mutant Class:
    Meme Tier: Colossus, Deadpool X-Force
    Occasionally Useful Tier: Cyclops, Magneto
    Pretty Useful Tier: Storm
    Low Demi-God Tier: None
    High Demi-God Tier: None
    God Tier: None
    Beyond God Tier: None
    Unavailable as 5*s: Deadpool (OG) and Wolverine

Cosmic Class
    Meme Tier: Venompool, Groot, Superior Iron Man
    Occasionally Useful Tier: None
    Pretty Useful Tier: Ronan, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel
    Low Demi-God Tier: Black Bolt, Drax, Spider-Man (Symbiote)
    High Demi-God Tier: Gamora
    God Tier: Venom
    Extremely Rare as 5*: Thor

Tech Class
    Meme Tier: Iron Man, War Machine, Hulkbuster, Iron Patriot
    Pretty Useful Tier: Rocket Raccoon
    Low Demi-God Tier: Ultron
    God Tier: Star-Lord
    Rare/Unavailable as 5*: Kang, Vision (both)

Other Classes
    Irrelevant as none of these champions are in these classes

Now, let's see which class is worst. The scoring system will be as simple and as fair as I think is possible. Meme Tier is worth one point, the next tier is worth two, the next worth three, etc.

Mutant Class: 9
    Cosmic Class: 29
    Tech Class: 17

While Tech and Mutant may be switched as full classes, the existence of these 2015 Rank Up Gems makes the Mutant class a bit underwhelming. There just isn't a good 2015 Mutant 5*. The best is Storm, who is only in the Pretty Useful Tier. Keep in mind that none of this is based on my own biases. This is using the most fair scoring system I could think of before I calculated which class would be the worst. I'm using Seatin's Tier List, not my own. I just don't see any way around the fact that a 2015 Mutant Rank Up Gem is quite possibly the most useless 5* item in the game.

It's not 2015 anymore. This list is invalid.
  • Crimsontide1616Crimsontide1616 Posts: 303 ★★
    I’m fine with a colossus buff. You make great points as well. I disagree with 2 points

1.) I believe the mutant class along with the cosmic class are the top 2 in the game

2.) Groot is the worst champ in this game.
  • Mitchell35Mitchell35 Posts: 1,897 ★★★★

I guess what I was looking at in terms of underwhelming is the 2015 Mutant champions. In the Variant modes, you can get five star Rank Up Gems that apply only to champions from 2015. I'm using Seatin's Tier List here, and none of this is my personal bias. Let's take a look at all the champions from 2015:

Mutant Class:
    Meme Tier: Colossus, Deadpool X-Force
    Occasionally Useful Tier: Cyclops, Magneto
    Pretty Useful Tier: Storm
    Low Demi-God Tier: None
    God Tier: None
    Unavailable as 5*s: Deadpool (OG) and Wolverine

Cosmic Class
    Meme Tier: Venompool, Groot, Superior Iron Man
    Pretty Useful Tier: Ronan, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel
    Low Demi-God Tier: Black Bolt, Drax, Spider-Man (Symbiote)
    High Demi-God Tier: Gamora
    God Tier: Venom
    Extremely Rare as 5*: Thor

Tech Class
    Meme Tier: Iron Man, War Machine, Hulkbuster, Iron Patriot
    Pretty Useful Tier: Rocket Raccoon
    Low Demi-God Tier: Ultron
    God Tier: Star-Lord
    Rare/Unavailable as 5*: Kang, Vision (both)

Other Classes
    Irrelevant as none of these champions are in these classes

Now, let's see which class is worst. The scoring system will be as simple and as fair as I think is possible. Meme Tier is worth one point, the next tier is worth two, the next worth three, etc.

Mutant Class: 9
    Cosmic Class: 29
    Tech Class: 17

While Tech and Mutant may be switched as full classes, the existence of these 2015 Rank Up Gems makes the Mutant class a bit underwhelming. There just isn't a good 2015 Mutant 5*. The best is Storm, who is only in the Pretty Useful Tier. Keep in mind that none of this is based on my own biases. This is using the most fair scoring system I could think of before I calculated which class would be the worst. I'm using Seatin's Tier List, not my own. I just don't see any way around the fact that a 2015 Mutant Rank Up Gem is quite possibly the most useless 5* item in the game.

Ugh another seatin follower. Honestly had he said buff ghost the community seriously would
  • MSRDLDMSRDLD Posts: 913 ★★★
    I’ve had Colossus as my avatar since I joined this forum 2 years ago just to bring awareness to his awfulness.
  • espadasxespadasx Posts: 5
    where can vote to buff the champion? i chose to iron patriot
  • Уважаемые разработчики, УБЕДИТЕЛЬНО прошу улучшить следующих персонажей: колосс, джагернаут, веномпул, железный патриот, надеюсь на то что мой отзыв не останется без внимания.
  • MSRDLDMSRDLD Posts: 913 ★★★

MSRDLD said:

I’ve had Colossus as my avatar since I joined this forum 2 years ago just to bring awareness to his awfulness.

1) Thank you for doing that.

2) What will you do if he gets the buff?
    I have a sig 40 r1 Colossus currently. (Yes I have pulled his 5 star 3 times) If they buff him well, I don’t see why I wouldn’t take him to 4/55. I need a good bleed immune champ. I also have a sig 99 4* Colossus that I have pulled 6 times. Yes, 6 times. I can see myself taking him to 5/50 if I don’t get any better mutants by then.
  • Marvel2289Marvel2289 Posts: 1,008 ★★★
    edited May 2019

I am going to be analyzing all the different uses of each of the champions that are being voted on for receiving a buff and deciding which one I believe to be most deserving. Let's get into it.

1. Venompool

Offensive Abilities: This champ can inflict some decent Bleed damage, Regenerate, inflict Heal Block, and get a pretty significant Precision buff. Definitely has some uses.

Defensive Abilities: All of his buffs/debuffs can only trigger by landing a hit. His Special Attacks are easy to avoid. Essentially useless.

Additional Factors: Venompool's synergy with Venom the Duck helps Venom the Duck gain more of his offensive buffs, which can be useful if Venom the Duck (who is a pretty solid champ) is one of the most used champions on your roster. There are also already many great Cosmic champions, and a new great Cosmic champ isn't really necessary.

2. Old Man Logan

Offensive Abilities: This champion's minor Regeneration effect grants him some extra survivability (not sure if that's a word but you know what I mean) for quests. The Fury and Cruelty buffs are primarily gained by being struck, which is frustrating, but can give you a small burst of damage when you slip up. You can then Regenerate that health back over time. Usable.

Defensive Abilities: Regeneration makes the fight last a bit longer, but the rest of his buffs are only useful offensively. Bleed Resilience can help sometimes, but not enough to greatly affect a fight. His Special Attacks are... let's just say you have to be very tired, drunk, or unfocused to get hit by his Special Attacks. Nearly Worthless.

Additional Factors: The Mutant class is very underwhelming, and a new good Mutant champ would be greatly appreciated.

3. Groot

Offensive Abilities: This champion is Bleed Immune, can trigger Regeneration. His offensive buffs are only gained by being struck, making them essentially useless. Can be used for Bleed paths, but that's about it.

Defensive Abilities: Bleed Immunity can counter certain offensive champs, his offensive buffs aren't really useful, but his Special Attack 2's Unblockable can catch newer players or inattentive users off guard on occasion. His best defensive ability is the fact that he shrugs off debuffs about twice as fast as most champions. This can make for some Parry opportunities being missed and some mistimed movements that result in taking damage. Can be an annoying defender for sure.

Additional Factors: The Cosmic class is possibly the best overall class in the game, and a new great Cosmic champ would not be necessary.

4. Colossus

Offensive Abilities: Bleed Immunity. That's it. Can be used for Bleed paths.

Defensive Abilities: Bleed Immunity can counter a few certain offensive champs, and he has Armor Up to lengthen fights. But lengthening fights is worthless with no Damage Over Time debuffs or difficult Special Attacks. Completely worthless.

Additional Factors: The Mutant class is very underwhelming, and a new good Mutant champ would be greatly appreciated.

5. Howard the Duck

Offensive Abilities: This champion has some minor Fury, Regeneration (when awakened), Thunderquack debuff (when awakened), and a pretty solid Special Attack 2 that can inflict a variety of debuffs. Below average, but can be useful.

Defensive Abilities: Thunderquack (when awakened) can do some damage, but is easily removed by Stun. His Special Attack 2 can do some solid damage, even through a block. Not awful, but still far below average.

Additional Factors: Howard the Duck has a decent synergy with Venom the Duck that will increase the latter's damage by up to 20%. The Tech class is one of the worse classes in the Contest, and a new good Tech champ would be helpful.

6. Iron Patriot

Offensive Abilities: Arc Overload (when awakened) can be useful for questing. Allows Iron Patriot to stay alive for a few more fights than most champions would be able to. Occasionally useful.

Defensive Abilities: Arc Overload (when awakened) is unique for this champion as opposed to Iron Man, granting Iron Patriot Power Gain as well. This can lead to a Special Attack 3 being fired off towards the end of a fight if the user is not careful. Occasionally useful.

Additional Factors: The Tech class is one of the worse classes in the Contest, and a new good Tech champ would be helpful.

7. Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan)

Offensive Abilities: Fury leads to a decent damage output. Special Attacks can remove a buff from the opponent. Occasionally useful.

Defensive Abilities: None. Special Attacks are ridiculously easy to dodge.

Additional Factors: The Cosmic class is possibly the best overall class in the game, and a new great Cosmic champ would not be necessary.

My Opinion

Venompool, Old Man Logan, Groot, Howard the Duck, and Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) all have uses. I'm not saying these champion are good; they aren't. I get angry every time I pull them. But the remaining two are worse. Iron Patriot is only useful when awakened, and Colossus is only useful for his Bleed Immunity. Let's compare these two.

Iron Patriot, when awakened, can be occasionally useful both offensively and defensively. Colossus, however, is useless on defense. His only use is offensively on Bleed paths. But Bleed paths are generally only in advanced areas of the game. Mid-to-High Tier Alliance Wars, Mid-to-High Tier Alliance Quests, and Mid-to-High Tier quests are pretty much the only areas where Bleed paths exist. At this point in progression, most users have found another Bleed Immune champion. Given the fact that Colossus is obviously, in my opinion, the worst Bleed Immune champion, I'd rather take literally any other Bleed Immune champion. Even Groot has SOME offensive use. Iron Patriot, on the other hand, has a small amount of use for users at any almost point in the game. Let's say you unfortunately duplicate Iron Patriot as one of your first six star, five star, four star, or even three star champions. If he's one of your few champions at that star level, he will be one of your best champions just based on PI. He will have some uses whether you need him on offense or defense. He will survive for many fights in quests, and he can be an irritating defender. Colossus just doesn't. He's useless on defense, and literally any other Bleed Immune champion is better for offense. Plus, you don't have to take a Bleed path. There's always an alternative in AW, AQ, or quests.

Overall, I believe Colossus is the worst champion on this list and in Contest of Champions as a whole. I vote for Colossus to receive a buff. We need another good Mutant champ (plus he's from 2015 so all of those 2015 Mutant exclusive items could have another use).

That's my opinion. Let me know if you agree or disagree down below. Thanks for reading this very long post!

This is a good analysis, but they normally do 2 at a time so I am wondering if they could buff both colossus and iron Patriot at the same time, also I think people forget about hulkbuster. Even the poll forgot hulkbuster
  • RyanwhalesRyanwhales Posts: 60

My comment from earlier finally posted. It addresses why I considered the Mutant class underwhelming. Here it is for those who missed it:

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/comment/830300/#Comment_830300

Havok. Sinister. Sabertooth.
    Need i go down the list?