**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Why is Ebony Maw a Mystic champ?

TanukiTalesTanukiTales Posts: 253 ★★
So, I'll admit I didn't really read Infinity and am only aware of it from the periphery; I'm not a fan of when comic companies feel like dragging a long buried event back to life just to capitalize on the popularity of a movie (seriously, just let the Infinity Gauntlet rest guys). As such, never really blinked twice when EM was first announced, but after watching Endgame, the question came back to mind.

Did some digging about Comic Maw (who may or may not be a telepath or have some persuasion ability like Purple Man/Starfox/Daken) and took another look at movie Maw...neither version is ever mentioned as using magic, as far as I can find.

Comments

• JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★
    Mystic doesn’t mean magic
  • TanukiTalesTanukiTales Posts: 253 ★★
    Jaded said:

Are you trying to insinuate that the fact every Mystic Champ is associated with Magic is just a coincidence?
    edited May 2019
    Jaded said:

Jaded said:

Are you trying to insinuate that the fact every Mystic Champ is associated with Magic is just a coincidence?
    I’m saying not all mystics are associated with magic. Dormammu and mephisto come to mind.
    Then...you just don't know the characters?

Dormammu is a literal living furnace of magical energy. That's his race's whole hat.

Mephisto is a Hell Lord. I mean, yeah, when you get high enough up the food chain with Marvel, the distinction between Magic, Energy Manipulation, Technology, Psionics, etc. becomes more one of semantics, but Mephisto has never not been portrayed as a supernatural, magical entity.
  • IKONIKON Posts: 1,334 ★★★★★
    Uh... maws fight with strange in infinity war is definitely magic.

Also russos confirmed he's a wizard.
    IKON said:

Uh... maws fight with strange in infinity war is definitely magic.

Ooooor a fight between a Mage and a Telekinetic?
    Also russos confirmed he's a wizard.
    Source?
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,734 ★★★★★
    I don't know anything about comics or whatever. But just for the Movies and even before he was released, I sure thought of him being a Mystic character. I don't really know how to explain, but if you've watched the movies then you would at least know his powers fit the mystic class.

And like the previous poster said, not every mystic champion is associated with magic
    edited May 2019

I don't know anything about comics or whatever. But just for the Movies and even before he was released, I sure thought of him being a Mystic character. I don't really know how to explain, but if you've watched the movies then you would at least know his powers fit the mystic class.

Again, he pinged me as "Telekinetic", not Mage, thus this thread.
    And like the previous poster said, not every mystic champion is associated with magic
    And that poster was wrong.

• IKONIKON Posts: 1,334 ★★★★★
    edited May 2019
    I'm not sure exactly where telekinetic powers fit besides mystic.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/08/02/avengers-infinity-war-black-order-changes-ebony-maw/

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,193 ★★★★★
    He can be whatever Class they want to make him.
  • John757John757 Posts: 1,085 ★★★
    Marvel specifically tells Kabam what class the champs should be. The mods have stated this is the past.
    IKON said:

I'm not sure exactly where telekinetic powers fit besides mystic.

Because Phoenix is Mystic?
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/08/02/avengers-infinity-war-black-order-changes-ebony-maw/

Well, the Russo's obviously don't know what a techno mage actually is, but at least that open and shut explains why he's Mystic. Thanks.
    John757 said:

Marvel specifically tells Kabam what class the champs should be. The mods have stated this is the past.

Seriously? I find that strange.
  • LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★

Jaded said:

Jaded said:

I’m saying not all mystics are associated with magic. Dormammu and mephisto come to mind.

Dormammu is a literal living furnace of magical energy. That's his race's whole hat.

Mephisto is a Hell Lord. I mean, yeah, when you get high enough up the food chain with Marvel, the distinction between Magic, Energy Manipulation, Technology, Psionics, etc. becomes more one of semantics, but Mephisto has never not been portrayed as a supernatural, magical entity.
    what magic does juggernaut, or unstoppable colossus wield? How about Jane foster? No mystic is not synonymous with magic in this game, even though they generally are most of the mystic characters.
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,152 ★★★★★
    He's mystic because Kabam/Marvel wanted it to be so, no matter what you want him to be. Nothing else to discuss. It is what it is.

No ... he was right.
    Some champions use magic and are not in the Mystic Class. Some champions don't use magic and are in the Mystic Class.
    Just based on the movies, Maw for sure fits the mystic class. By reading his potencial powers and abilities in the comics, same thing. By reading his ingame abilities, for sure he is a Mystic Champion

No ... he was right.
    Some champions use magic and are not in the Mystic Class. Some champions don't use magic and are in the Mystic Class.
    Just based on the movies, Maw for sure fits the mystic class. By reading his potencial powers and abilities in the comics, same thing. By reading his ingame abilities, for sure he is a Mystic Champion

No, he was wrong.

Literally every Mystic Champ either directly uses magic, indirectly uses magic or is heavily empowered by magic.
    We can end the thread here, by the by, since the opening post was answered: The Russos intended him to be a mage, just didn't execute that well in the films.

Don't need to run this off topic by having to explain comic book lore to people who've only seen the movies or only played this game.

No ... he was right.
    No, he was wrong.

Literally every Mystic Champ either directly uses magic, indirectly uses magic or is heavily empowered by magic.

No, that is wrong.
    Like someone else mentioned, some examples are Juggernaut and Unstoppable Colossus. What do they have, impact nullification? That's not magic at all. Is a power, or an ability.
    All For One, from the Boku no Hero Academia manga/anime, has the same ability. And he is no magician or has/uses magic

No ... he was right.
    No, he was wrong.

No, that is wrong.
    Like someone else mentioned, some examples are Juggernaut and Unstoppable Colossus. What do they have, impact nullification? That's not magic at all. Is a power, or an ability.
    All For One, from the Boku no Hero Academia manga/anime, has the same ability. And he is no magician or has/uses magic

Go actually google the characters before you spout incorrect information, please. Both are empowered by Cyttorak, just as Jane Foster is empowered by the enchantment by Mjolnir.
    Alright, post got eaten.

Willow, try googling the characters before spouting misinformation. Both Juggs and UC are empowered by Cyttorak, just like Jane Foster is empowered by Odin's enchantment on Mjolnir.
  • John757John757 Posts: 1,085 ★★★

John757 said:

This is just one example I found
    Thor is not a mystic champion in this game. He uses no magic in it or in the movies as well
    John757 said:

John757 said:

This is just one example I found
    Ah, there's a big difference between working with them and Marvel telling them what to make them. ;)

Thor is not a mystic champion in this game. He uses no magic in it or in the movies as well

Because Thor is more well known for his adventures out in space, than necessarily taking on the supernatural elements. Many of his early foes, The Celestials, Ego the Living Planet, Korg, the guy who's name eludes me but he was made up of the hatred of an entire alien race (Mangog maybe), were invading earth from outer space.

But Thor is definitely magic and has used magic.
  • LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★

Lormif said:

Jaded said:

Jaded said:

what magic does juggernaut, or unstoppable colossus wield? How about Jane foster? No mystic is not synonymous with magic in this game, even though they generally are most of the mystic characters.
    You're trolling, right?
    No, but it seems you are...

Alright, post got eaten.

Willow, try googling the characters before spouting misinformation. Both Juggs and UC are empowered by Cyttorak, just like Jane Foster is empowered by Odin's enchantment on Mjolnir.