**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Lets talk about 7*s

2»

Comments

• DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

We are already at the point now where in my opinion only god tier 5*'s should be R5'd. Rank up resources are so scarce that it is a waste. I am surprised we got here so quick but here we are.

But it is so hard to get 6* shards and there are so very many trash champs in the 6* crystal that it is tough to get anyone worth R2.

Now. But so many players keep asking to change that.

It isn't a question of whether 7* champs should or should not exist, or are or are not a good idea. They are an inevitability. But they are also currently completely unnecessary. They will stay that way as long as there are things extremely hard to collect and rank up. The moment that's no longer true, something will arrive that will be.

The alternative is something like gear, but I think that would be a disaster for this kind of game, and you'd just be trading 7* champions for 7* gear.
    I'd much rather work to get gear on my already ranked champs then have to get, dupe and rank up the same champs I already have.
    That's probably because you're envisioning a version of gear that almost certainly wouldn't be used to replace 7* champions in the game. There's only two real possibilities that would work within the progression and monetization systems for MCOC. The first is champion-specific gear, which would mean instead of hunting for a 7* Ghost, you'd be hunting for a Ghost-specific gear module, which is essentially the same thing. The second is gear sets, which in net effect would be rebooting the collection treadmill with the existing champions as background static. Conceptually, you keep your champions, but you start from scratch looking for 1* gear, then coordinated (meaning gear specifically designed to upgrade that specific 1* piece) 2* gear, then 3* gear, and so on.

Changing these systems so that there is a radical systemic jump is so rare, I can literally think of only one instance of it happening in my entire game play experience that didn't end in disaster. I would be something between surprised and amazed if it happened here.
  • Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,916 ★★★★★
    7* is gone to far
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

We are already at the point now where in my opinion only god tier 5*'s should be R5'd. Rank up resources are so scarce that it is a waste. I am surprised we got here so quick but here we are.

But it is so hard to get 6* shards and there are so very many trash champs in the 6* crystal that it is tough to get anyone worth R2.

It isn't a question of whether 7* champs should or should not exist, or are or are not a good idea. They are an inevitability. But they are also currently completely unnecessary. They will stay that way as long as there are things extremely hard to collect and rank up. The moment that's no longer true, something will arrive that will be.

The alternative is something like gear, but I think that would be a disaster for this kind of game, and you'd just be trading 7* champions for 7* gear.
    I'd much rather work to get gear on my already ranked champs then have to get, dupe and rank up the same champs I already have.
    That's probably because you're envisioning a version of gear that almost certainly wouldn't be used to replace 7* champions in the game. There's only two real possibilities that would work within the progression and monetization systems for MCOC. The first is champion-specific gear, which would mean instead of hunting for a 7* Ghost, you'd be hunting for a Ghost-specific gear module, which is essentially the same thing. The second is gear sets, which in net effect would be rebooting the collection treadmill with the existing champions as background static. Conceptually, you keep your champions, but you start from scratch looking for 1* gear, then coordinated (meaning gear specifically designed to upgrade that specific 1* piece) 2* gear, then 3* gear, and so on.

Changing these systems so that there is a radical systemic jump is so rare, I can literally think of only one instance of it happening in my entire game play experience that didn't end in disaster. I would be something between surprised and amazed if it happened here.
    What I'm thinking is kind of like MSF red stars but not a RNG disaster they turned into. Basically add 6 extra levels to rank 6* champs once you get one to rank 5 sig 200.

Obviously, it'd be a huge change to the game and much harder (and probably less profitable) than just slapping a new boarder and extra star on the champs we already have.
  • OmegaManOmegaMan Posts: 383 ★★★
    7* is gone to far
    I honestly wouldn’t want to see the value of a 7* in Kabams eyes. A 6* champion is valued at hundreds of dollars for ONE and one that you have no idea who it is. A random and trash or a decent one.
  • OrcDovahkiinOrcDovahkiin Posts: 323
    I dont know, its complicated
    Stop it get some help
  • BLEEDlNG_DGEBLEEDlNG_DGE Posts: 324 ★★
    7* is gone to far
    Personally, even 6* champs were somewhat of a disappointing design in my opinion. Kabam should have kept it 5* and introduce titles from there on eg. Alpha, Omega, Super, Platinum, etc.
    Once they intro'd 6*s, I kinda felt like there'd be no end to it.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

What I'm thinking is kind of like MSF red stars but not a RNG disaster they turned into. Basically add 6 extra levels to rank 6* champs once you get one to rank 5 sig 200.

Obviously, it'd be a huge change to the game and much harder (and probably less profitable) than just slapping a new boarder and extra star on the champs we already have.
    The problem is there is no version of Red Stars that isn't what you'd call an RNG disaster, because Red Stars do exactly what I mention above: they (in the vernacular of this game) replace the pursuit of 7* champions with pursuing a thing that is basically a 7* champion that also requires you to possess the earlier version to use it (if I understand the mechanics correctly: I'm not a Marvel Strike Force player: the system was described to me when it came out).

The Red Star system is a way to add higher tier champions to the game while disguising them as gear. Except if we add 7* champs to the game we get to use the 6* champs and the 7* champs in different content. If we add the red star system to sort of "promote" our 6* champs to 7* status we only get to have one of those to play with, for essentially the same effort.

This isn't just about profitability. This is about what the game fundamentally is. The game is a game as a service, where there is no end to the collecting and ranking. Single player games have an end. These kinds of games have no end, because that is what they do. That is all they do.
  • ZuroZuro Posts: 2,722 ★★★★★
    Zuro said:

How about we don't talk about 7 stars

Hey why is the convo still going did anyone get the memo
  • Ultra8529Ultra8529 Posts: 526 ★★★
    7* is gone to far
    Best would be just to open up additional ranks in 6*s, so you can keep going on to rank 6, rank 7 etc. I just dont think the community will have any desire whatsoever to restart their roster of 7*s all the way from 0. We did it once for 5*s, doing it now for 6*s, i think if it comes to 7*s most will run out of steam. Got to ask yourself when does it stop at that point.