**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Act 6.2 quest design concerns and the future of the game

ChovnerChovner Posts: 1,139 ★★★★★
So I normally enjoy playing this game, and all the harder end game content, but Act 6 seems like the most cash grabby content ever released in the game, especially Act 6.2.

Mr Sinister boss is pretty much impossible to beat without either having Heimdal, Hela and/or Angela as a 5* min. or Hyperion... OR just dump a WHOLE lot of revives until you chip him down. (CASH GRAB).

Mordo boss is designed so that you either have to keep using 1-2 champs the whole quest and reviving them as you go (CASH GRAB), or use up all your champs throughout the hard quest and at the end HAVE to revive your whole team for any hope of beating Mordo (CASH GRAB).

The Champion Boss fight is so badly designed, that you need a champ who removes Unstoppable to have any hope of not dropping dozens of revives to get to the last 10%, THEN do a pretty bad rain dance into his special 1 to Dex the last hit and remove the Indestructible buffs. Some champs have too big of a hit box when you dash into The Champion's SP1 that you'd never get close enough to Dex and therefore the fight is impossible. So you have to figure out who's medium dash hits small enough to make that ill designed mechanic work. Unless there's some other method nobody's found out yet, the way to beat The Champion feels like some DISCOVERED cheat instead of the players solving a fight puzzle designed by Kabam. (CASH GRAB).

I really do enjoy playing this game, and hope Act 6.3 focuses more on smart design of fight, and nodes where you stand an equal chance of beating the content with just about any character instead of a key few (which is what I thought the whole 12.0 update debacle was supposed to set forth as Kabam's direction with game design). Making fights based on unavoidable damage over time narrows the effective counters to a select few options, leaving a large percentage of the player base helpless to use their SKILL to beat the game with their hard earned rosters.

I do understand this is a game that was built to make money, and an easy way to generate income is to force the player base to buy ressources necessary to progress, but there's DEFINITELY a better way at doing that than making fights only passable by the majority of players by burning up items. I was a very light spender in this game until they started rolling out the monthly Unit Card deal. Now I drop real money everytime that deal comes up, it's not overpriced and a great value without being game breaking... more reasonable deals like that would generate lots of money and keep your player base happy and wanting to keep playing. Throughout Act 6.1 and 6.2 I contemplated just quitting the game at least a dozen times, and I don't think that's what Kabam's design team intended.

All this to say, I hope the design of Act 6.3 and all future content take a more creative turn in challenging the players instead of relying on champion gate requirements (for both accessing certain paths AND actually being able to complete content without a certain specific champ). I've been playing almost since the beginning, and don't want to keep getting tempted to find a more enjoyable gaming experience somewhere else.

Comments

• CapAvengerCapAvenger Posts: 48
    xNig said:

Sorry. When you mentioned SKILL together with the Champion fight, I stopped reading.

The Champion’s last 10% is the very definition of needing SKILL. If you don’t have it, you’ll never get past it regardless of how many units you dump in.

Actually he mentioned skill after the champion fight.
  • xNigxNig Posts: 7,243 ★★★★★
    Lol close enough. 😂
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    Not a fan of 6.2 either, I’ve explored it and it’s so specific, nodes should work in a way that all champs work but some work great, like power shield, any champ works but champs like hype work better, 6.2 is the opposite, only a few champs work and the others either can’t get through or require tons of revives, class gates are even worse, 4 6 stars or certain class 5 stars is stupid, I’m an endgame player who’s played daily for over 4 years and I don’t have the team for some paths without revives, hope 6.3 is better, quest design should be like variant, where lots of champs work but some work extremely well, the legend run times say everything with 6.2

xNig said:

Sorry. When you mentioned SKILL together with the Champion fight, I stopped reading.

The Champion’s last 10% is the very definition of needing SKILL. If you don’t have it, you’ll never get past it regardless of how many units you dump in.

I agree that fight in itself is a great test of skills. I do have a big issue with the no retreat node attached to one path tho. If there is something most of us are missing im all ears. But so far it seems like one of the biggest bs matches every created. Havent left a quest in god knows how long. I sadly had to see myself beat there tho with 100% beeing so close
    I had troubles with the No Retreat noded Champion as well. It was my final final boss of my run and I couldn’t take him down despite my timer being at 12hours+. Ran out of units (had around 3k when I started my Legends run), didn’t wanna spend, and didn’t get my tag for 6.2. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyway, the irony was, after saving up 1k units to try him out again after 1+ weeks, I took him down to 10% with SymSup and R4 CptIW without spending any items. 😞
  • KalantakKalantak Posts: 1,291 ★★★★
    agree with every word you said ,i had made post when i tried to go in for the champion boss probably few weeks ago and i completely quit the game after that for few days, then came back n now doing wars,aq and arena (just to open worthless cavalier crystals but well they are not as stress inducing as that champion boss fight,!)
    crazy thing is when i made that post there were two trolls who kept on commenting and said i am not good enough ,get good n what not, mayb few personal stuff as well,they didnt see i was der because i did everything before champion boss and had alright enough roster that i grinded for and every single event quest ,no matter how tough or bad they were, i had done ,so i dnt accept that 'skilled' part for last 10%!!! it's 'dumb designer' part what i'd call it!! also i didnt see kabam miike shutting those clowns down, when they made another human being feel miserable, but he shuts down ppl for lot less!!! if they keep that fight same as it is now , i am sorry to say but they'll have their 'super skilled' players from those top alliances in next 2 years,so that would be like 3000 ppl compared to millions it supposed to have, i'd hate to see my favorite game die like that
  • LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    Chovner said:

So I normally enjoy playing this game, and all the harder end game content, but Act 6 seems like the most cash grabby content ever released in the game, especially Act 6.2.

Mr Sinister boss is pretty much impossible to beat without either having Heimdal, Hela and/or Angela as a 5* min. or Hyperion... OR just dump a WHOLE lot of revives until you chip him down. (CASH GRAB).

Mordo boss is designed so that you either have to keep using 1-2 champs the whole quest and reviving them as you go (CASH GRAB), or use up all your champs throughout the hard quest and at the end HAVE to revive your whole team for any hope of beating Mordo (CASH GRAB).

The Champion Boss fight is so badly designed, that you need a champ who removes Unstoppable to have any hope of not dropping dozens of revives to get to the last 10%, THEN do a pretty bad rain dance into his special 1 to Dex the last hit and remove the Indestructible buffs. Some champs have too big of a hit box when you dash into The Champion's SP1 that you'd never get close enough to Dex and therefore the fight is impossible. So you have to figure out who's medium dash hits small enough to make that ill designed mechanic work. Unless there's some other method nobody's found out yet, the way to beat The Champion feels like some DISCOVERED cheat instead of the players solving a fight puzzle designed by Kabam. (CASH GRAB).

Mr Sinister can be taken down by many more than that, I used Marvel movie.
    Mordo I revived 2 times the entire quest
    The champion the last 10% was the only hard thing.
  • CapAvengerCapAvenger Posts: 48

Kalantak said:

agree with every word you said ,i had made post when i tried to go in for the champion boss probably few weeks ago and i completely quit the game after that for few days, then came back n now doing wars,aq and arena (just to open worthless cavalier crystals but well they are not as stress inducing as that champion boss fight,!)
    crazy thing is when i made that post there were two trolls who kept on commenting and said i am not good enough ,get good n what not, mayb few personal stuff as well,they didnt see i was der because i did everything before champion boss and had alright enough roster that i grinded for and every single event quest ,no matter how tough or bad they were, i had done ,so i dnt accept that 'skilled' part for last 10%!!! it's 'dumb designer' part what i'd call it!! also i didnt see kabam miike shutting those clowns down, when they made another human being feel miserable, but he shuts down ppl for lot less!!! if they keep that fight same as it is now , i am sorry to say but they'll have their 'super skilled' players from those top alliances in next 2 years,so that would be like 3000 ppl compared to millions it supposed to have, i'd hate to see my favorite game die like that

Ohh I remember that post where you had the champs to do it but didn’t have the skill and kept complaining about you wasting resources and units as opposed to getting better and practicing
    Anything from the troll-ey dear?
  • AlphA101AlphA101 Posts: 285 ★★★
    I like to see YouTube before I attempt anything. Saves me stuff every time
  • AzKicker316AzKicker316 Posts: 2,263 ★★★★★
    edited August 2019

This game doesn't reward skill it only rewards whales that throw money/items at content

I don't like this fight, it's too hard and won't let me throw money/items at it to beat it

Hence the need for skill, especially the champion fight!

The newer content will for now on be focusing on not only end game players, but players with deep, maxed out rosters. For those that don't have the right champ for specific fights, you'll need to wait. Act 6 isn't going anywhere, and if you're not at the level to beat it, be patient and continue to build.
    Don't worry. I'll do my best to make sure 6.3 has more fights like the Champion where throwing 194857392845739 units doesn't ensure he can be taken down.
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★

This game doesn't reward skill it only rewards whales that throw money/items at content

I don't like this fight, it's too hard and won't let me throw money/items at it to beat it

Hence the need for skill, especially the champion fight!

The newer content will for now on be focusing on not only end game players, but players with deep, maxed out rosters. For those that don't have the right champ for specific fights, you'll need to wait. Act 6 isn't going anywhere, and if you're not at the level to beat it, be patient and continue to build.
    My post was basically just what you always hear on the forum. People always complaining that everything is a cash grab for whales and skill is no longer rewarded. Then they put out this fight that you can dump an infinite amount of items into and never beat it, but it's too hard and they want to be able to brute force through it. Basically I was just saying a large portion of the community just likes to complain but has no idea what they're talking about. I promise you my roster and ability is more than adequate personally
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    xNig said:

Don't worry. I'll do my best to make sure 6.3 has more fights like the Champion where throwing 194857392845739 units doesn't ensure he can be taken down.

I didn't get an invite again. I guess blowing off the 6.1 beta after original no retreat put me in the doghouse lol

xNig said:

I didn't get an invite again. I guess blowing off the 6.1 beta after original no retreat put me in the doghouse lol
    Hahah. Chill bro. Don’t fret! I’ll do my best to make it as “skill based” as possible, although our definition of “skill” might be different from what others define it as. Lol
  • Thankfully I don't have to worry about 6.2 since I don't have a hope against sentinel in 6.1
  • raffsterraffster Posts: 1,071 ★★★
    @Chovner Did you read my mind, was gonna post almost the same thing? Haha.

The 6.2 final boss The Champion requires a very specific type of skill that I strongly believe some players like me will never get unless there's a chance we can do practice and test runs (for free) until we get it. I estimate spending at least 40,000 units before my fingers realize what it needs to do to beat this champion (honest!) I've done two weeks for dueling an R2 5* The Champion with an R4 3* CAIW and I can get him down no problem. (But of course, the duel practice doesn't consider that final 10% which is the most difficult).

It's the same exact thing with Nameless Thanos Uncollected Difficulty (and the Thanos last year). There's just certain playing skills that a player no matter how much time or money he devotes to the game will never get. I could not get past the reverse control mode in Nameless Thanos. I tried every day until the very last day of the event and was stuck at the second stage).

What the gave dev team or whatever team is responsible for thinking about the next types of fights, bosses, events, etc. to consider this very real problem stated in the OP. It is foolhardy to believe that 90% of the player base can fight like KT1, the Analyzer, Dorky Dave, Prof Skils, etc.

To this end I am hoping that someone in the higher ups get to read these issues posted on the forums and nerf that The Champion boss (and future Nameless Thanos type bosses) enough to make him (them) beatable without all the problems mentioned above.

Sorry, really, because not everyone who plays MCOC has the time to learn how to evade/parry/attack/intercept in a very specific type of way against an opponent that can do 1-2 hit kills.

Of course, the other way to address this is to have a special duel room (free) where you can choose a champion and throw in the buffs you want to learn how to fight against. OR make a path towards that boss have the same buffs so that you can practice as much as you want on the first enemy, and by the time you get to the boss you know exactly what to do.

The 6.2 Champion boss needs to be re-tooled. That last 10% indestructible buff removable by dexterity was thought of and approved by extremely calloused and unkind corporate executives, that's for sure, who believe that making things this unreasonably difficult is beneficial to the vast majority of players in the MCOC community.
  • AzKicker316AzKicker316 Posts: 2,263 ★★★★★
    Duel a champion, but don't just go in just to beat him. Use a lower star champ just to practice evading his sp1.
  • Kobster84Kobster84 Posts: 2,898 ★★★★★
    edited August 2019
    xNig said:

xNig said:

Hahah. Chill bro. Don’t fret! I’ll do my best to make it as “skill based” as possible, although our definition of “skill” might be different from what others define it as. Lol
    You can’t deny outside of the champion most of act 6 isn’t skill based but roster based
    And also on the champion fight while the last 10% does require skill it also does require specific champs
    I agree with the OP.

One of the biggest considerations of the game dev team is that there are players like me who will never truly get or understand how to do a specific type of move in the game. The problem here is almost identical to the problems that certain players experienced fighting Nameless Thanos and cannot get past certain stages no matter how hard we try, practice and how much units we spend.

I am just making a guess that I will probobaly spend 40K units to get to a point where my fingers will know what to do to get past that final 10% of the final fight in Act 6.2.

I strongly recommend that The Champion boss be reworked and that indestructible charges be removed some other way other than dexterity. Make it difficult, not unreasonably difficult. It is wrong to assume that the vast majority of the players can fight like the best YouTubers.

I hope the future segments of the game will consider the inputs given here because games are meant to be challenging, not be at the point of almost impossible to beat.
    Other ways to address the issue:

1. Have a certain path leading to champion where all the nodes are 10% indestructible in the end. So we can all practice in the first champ all the way to the last. By the time we get to the final boss we already know (or our fingers) what to do.
    2. Have a special practice duel room where we can choose the champ we want to duel and then have the ability to choose specific buffs that will be included in the duel. Free of charge, of course.
    Kobster84 said:

xNig said:

xNig said:

You can’t deny outside of the champion most of act 6 isn’t skill based but roster based
    And also on the champion fight while the last 10% does require skill it also does require specific champs
    It depends on your definition of skill vs champion based. Most of them an be bypassed by using specific champions, but if you dont have those handful of champions then it relies on skill to get you by. For example no retreat. Defiantly a skill based node that can be bypassed with a few champions.
    raffster said:

I agree with the OP.

One of the biggest considerations of the game dev team is that there are players like me who will never truly get or understand how to do a specific type of move in the game. The problem here is almost identical to the problems that certain players experienced fighting Nameless Thanos and cannot get past certain stages no matter how hard we try, practice and how much units we spend.

I am just making a guess that I will probobaly spend 40K units to get to a point where my fingers will know what to do to get past that final 10% of the final fight in Act 6.2.

I strongly recommend that The Champion boss be reworked and that indestructible charges be removed some other way other than dexterity. Make it difficult, not unreasonably difficult. It is wrong to assume that the vast majority of the players can fight like the best YouTubers.

I hope the future segments of the game will consider the inputs given here because games are meant to be challenging, not be at the point of almost impossible to beat.

You dont have to be able to fight like the best youtubers. You just need to learn how to evade. If you can evade then you can get past it if you have a high perfect block character, or if you have a phasing characters without learning to run in and bounce off the champion. Like most things it is a skill based fight that has non skill based counters as well.

My team had sym supreme at r5, but also a 6* hood at r2. I found that for me sym supreme was too squishy so I switched to the hood, his phasing and ablity to take more damage allowed me to figure it out faster.
  • Kobster84Kobster84 Posts: 2,898 ★★★★★
    Lormif said:

Kobster84 said:

xNig said:

xNig said:

It depends on your definition of skill vs champion based. Most of them an be bypassed by using specific champions, but if you dont have those handful of champions then it relies on skill to get you by. For example no retreat. Defiantly a skill based node that can be bypassed with a few champions.
    No I’m talking about stuff like cornered buffet mr sinister and the aggression fury path in 6.2.3