**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Celebrating 80 Years of Marvel with Classic Covers

edited September 2019 in General Discussion
It’s almost here, folks! That time of year where we’re going to jump in and celebrate 80 Years of Marvel Comics! Can you believe it’s been 80 years? That’s insane! As one of the many ways to celebrate this month we’re going to be recreating classic covers of old comics and revisioning them with the characters from our game. Check it out:

Do you recognize the comic or is this just as new as the fresh look? Did you happen to read The New Mutants or did you catch yourself reading other series within the Marvel universe? Let’s kick up a discussion to start this celebration off strong, folks. We want to hear your thoughts!

EDIT: Going to add the other covers here too for y'all to see! Let us know if you also recognize them. :)

Post edited by Kabam Vydious on

Comments

• ValdeValde Posts: 12
    I have this comic in the garage, I bought it at the comic store when it was released. I do remember Cable being so awesome when I was a kid.
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,934 ★★★★★
    This is one of the low-key seminal moments in comics history -- no hyperbole.

For those who don't know, this homage is to New Mutants #87 -- the first appearance of Cable.

Rob Liefeld, whatever people may think of him now, was on his way to superstardom then. Pre-Image. I didn't always agree with their choices, but at the same time, Liefeld coming on to the book provided a necessary jolt of energy.

The official run of New Mutants ended 13 issues later in #100...and became X-Force. Which, through its many iterations, has proven to be an interesting counterpoint to the once-dream oriented concept of Uncanny X-Men.

These were transformative times for comics -- New Mutants had grown stale. Comics go through these kinds of ebbs and flows.

It's hard to explain to people who weren't around just how popular Cable was then. He was EVERYWHERE.

He's a good character, too -- when written well.

That's one thing I appreciated most about the design of Cable in-game -- he's had many looks over the years. Liefeld himself wasn't particularly concerned with short-term or long-term consistency in design and costumes.

But Cable's look in-game is about as iconic a representation of the character as there could be, and I'm glad that's the one the design team went with.

I won't turn this into a passive-aggressive character request thread; Kabam knows which characters exist throughout these eras.

But I'll say this because it's just the truth: He may or may not fit into the game's plans, ever.

But Stryfe is one of the flat-out coolest looking characters ever, forms the Yin-Yang of Cable, just screams "1990s!!!!!!!" and he'd probably be a lot of fun to play
    Bugmat78 said:

@ESF I'm with you - loved Cable from his first app. I realy am a bit disappointed that he's more useful as a defender in game....

The damage just isn't there. Design is perfect, to me. Animations, concept. Whoever designed him understood what Cable could do. The numbers, unfortunately, just aren't there.

At the same time -- and not to veer too off-course -- he is actually fun to play. It's not all doom and gloom.
    Fun predictions for other comics from eras:

Fantastic Four...let's see...#5. Maybe #50

X-Men #1 (Jim Lee at his peak)

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1

Captain America and the Falcon #171

New Avengers: Illuminati #1

• EbbtideEbbtide Posts: 292 ★★
    Things like this would be way more interesting as our Top Champion image. The current version of this game would be way more visually neat if not only could we have iconic comic cover or movie poster interpretations for our Top Champion, but maybe even mix it like the Cable picture does it.

In the posted Cable picture it shows Cable, which could be a profiles Top Champion. The 4 bubbles could then be their next Top 4. Imagine if where it said "The - New" it instead listed a player name, then had their Prestige in place of "Mutants." So not only would it show people the pertinent information for a player account for things like recruiting for an alliance with Top 5 and Prestige, but it would also make profiles more artistically exciting.

I also wish the player select screen worked similarly.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51etC40z4TL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Imagine if this was sort of how the fighter select worked. 5 Champions, pictured in a comic book styling. Instead of the battlerealm background with floating debris, this would look more flashy with characters in dynamic poses when being selected. The background could be related to the event story, letting players create their own teams and images to post and share for each event. Where is says "All New X-Men" it could instead say the event and chapter title, making it feel like a comic story, so "X-Machina, Part 3: Competitive Market," or something like that.

This is tedious, I'm sure, but would fit better with the massive selection of comic and cinematic characters available in the game.
  • Mathking13Mathking13 Posts: 988 ★★★
    Just started reading the game-inspired run of Contest of Champions. Wow it's a cool comic.
    do the mods have any recommendations for comics to read? I really need to make good use of this free month of Marvel Unlimited. (seriously 75k Insider points to get it? That's a bargain!)
  • Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Posts: 2,766 ★★★★★
    if you like the MCOC comic by Al Ewing, read his Mighty/Captain America and the Mighty/New/US Avengers runs (in that order), his Ultimates and Ultimates 2 series and his Immortal Hulk series. Also: Avengers No Surrender and Avengers: No Road Home that he co-wrote.

Be warned Immortal Hulk is rather gory and may require a strong stomach to take. *Definitely* recommend not reading it just before you got to bed!
  • HfchangHfchang Posts: 186
    edited August 2019
    I actually prefer the new one with domino,

magik, et.al
  • pedroteixeira07pedroteixeira07 Posts: 213
    This is pretty neat artwork! nice
  • HendrossHendross Posts: 938 ★★★
    Cable needs more pockets.
  • Duke_SilverDuke_Silver Posts: 2,421 ★★★★
    I really love the artwork, it’s my lock screen now actually. Will we be seeing more of these throughout the month?
  • I really love the artwork, it’s my lock screen now actually. Will we be seeing more of these throughout the month?

@Duke_Silver, yes! There will be more to come!
  • ValdeValde Posts: 12
    I really liked the Hulk/Wolverine one posted on social media today, I wish I owned the real one hah.
  • RapRap Posts: 3,193 ★★★★

There is a dive deep in the past! '73 i think.
  • Sick
  • Did everyone happen to catch our other covers?

I'm personally a huge fan of the Claire one! I just love the overall look and design to it!

Some classic cover art work by Kirby!
    The buckster is still a kid!

• Hector_1475Hector_1475 Posts: 1,770 ★★★★★
    This is my favourite so far. Excellent job from Kabam. Keep it up!
  • KnordyKnordy Posts: 186 ★★
    edited September 2019
    I like these covers especially the Dark Phoenix one.
    For reference here are links to the originals:

#1: The New Mutants #87 (1990)
    #2: The Incredible Hulk #340 (1988)
    #3: Marvel Fanfare #10 (1983)
    #4: The Uncanny X-Men #136 (1980)
  • KnordyKnordy Posts: 186 ★★
    Knordy said:

I like these covers especially the Dark Phoenix one.
    For reference here are links to the originals:

#1: The New Mutants #87 (1990)
    #2: The Incredible Hulk #340 (1988)
    #3: Marvel Fanfare #10 (1983)
    #4: The Uncanny X-Men #136 (1980)

#5 The Avengers #57 (1968)

• Will there be arena to get the crystals containing the missing champions to make 100% of the event 80 years?
  • Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Posts: 2,766 ★★★★★
    yes, as has been repeatedly posted on here, if you take the time to search, 1v1 quickmatch crystals will have 2* basic versions of the gate champions from today.