**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

New 5* Featured Crystal - Players Need Rates or Approximations

becauseicantbecauseicant Posts: 412 ★★★
Soon the 5* featured crystal will contain 3 different prize pools each with their own drop rate. As players it's very important for us to understand the value these new crystals represent so that we can make good decisions regarding the trade off between the regular and featured 5* crystals.

As I understand it the new crystal will be:
Featured 5* - Same rate as right now (community estimate ~20%)
Sub Featured 5* - New and separate chance to drop (Miike said lower chance than the featured, 1-19%)
Basic 5* - Whatever is left over (61-79%)

So basically the crystal is getting better, but without an idea of the sub-featured drop rate we as players can't determine by how much. Kabam can you please give us an indication of what to expect from the new featured crystal? The range is too large and it would benefit players who are deciding between the two crystals to know before the community is forced to figure it out themselves.

Comments

• EvilEmpireEvilEmpire Posts: 639 ★★★
    I think a fluctuating variable is at work, nobody wants to think about the possibility of buying a lotto ticket that never had a chance to win. The 4* drop rates from PHC are certainly better for new players so there is no reason to think everyone gets the same odds for this type of crystal.
  • Soon the 5* featured crystal will contain 3 different prize pools each with their own drop rate. As players it's very important for us to understand the value these new crystals represent so that we can make good decisions regarding the trade off between the regular and featured 5* crystals.

As I understand it the new crystal will be:
    Featured 5* - Same rate as right now (community estimate ~20%)
    Sub Featured 5* - New and separate chance to drop (Miike said lower chance than the featured, 1-19%)
    Basic 5* - Whatever is left over (61-79%)

So basically the crystal is getting better, but without an idea of the sub-featured drop rate we as players can't determine by how much. Kabam can you please give us an indication of what to expect from the new featured crystal? The range is too large and it would benefit players who are deciding between the two crystals to know before the community is forced to figure it out themselves.

• Hi
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,541 ★★★★★
    Haji:

That's kind of the point though--we basically play a lottery (or raffle or whatever) for virtual/online goods and have little to no idea what the odds are for winning. We say ~20% for a featured but that's only a guess. Who came up with it? Has it borne out over time? Is it a consistent rate or does it fluctuate? The only ironclad rule I've learned on rates in this game is that RNG is not your friend--period.

The game team always tells us they comply with every rule of law, and that's fine. However, the continual shenanigans that goes on in game erodes the trust of the average player (not the prestige hunters and legends--they have to spend to stay on top). All compliance aside, the only thing that matters is whether money gets spent or not, and I would wager recent spend has not kept pace with prior periods.

To me, the 5* move smells of an effort to breathe some excitement into a game that was starting to feel a little musty. It may do that, and it may reignite the prestige races. Ultimately it may be "good" for the game. But it seems a little desperate as well.

Dr. Zola
  • becauseicantbecauseicant Posts: 412 ★★★
    Haji_Saab wrote: »
    From what I understood it is like :
    Featured - same chance (~20%)
    Basic + old featured - rest 80% with same chance for each champ

I don't think this is how it works considering Miike said in another thread that you have a smaller "bonus" chance to receive the sub-featured 5* hero. If it worked how you thought then the first month the crystal comes out the sub-featured 5* would have like a 40% drop chance since the list is so huge right now.

DrZola wrote: »
    That's kind of the point though--we basically play a lottery (or raffle or whatever) for virtual/online goods and have little to no idea what the odds are for winning. We say ~20% for a featured but that's only a guess. Who came up with it? Has it borne out over time? Is it a consistent rate or does it fluctuate?

Exactly this is why the player base has been asking for drop rates for so long - we all know we are playing the lottery with every crystal we just want to know the odds of winning certain prizes so we can make valuation comparisons between the different choices. This game has a huge disparity of knowledge between new and veteran players when it comes to what is truly worth buying and Kabam seems content on keeping it that way even though when those new players find out that they wasted their units/money they will be more likely to stop playing.

The drop rate for the current featured 5* hero was determined through a mistake by Kabam where a player was able to open thousands of crystals during the dimensional rift event. It may have also been confirmed by data-miners such as MCOC Mod but I'm less certain about that. Either way we have no idea if the rate fluctuates or has changed at any point in time, we simply have to take Kabam's word that they don't do those things.

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,234 ★★★★★
    Haji_Saab wrote: »
    From what I understood it is like :
    Featured - same chance (~20%)
    Basic + old featured - rest 80% with same chance for each champ

I don't think this is how it works considering Miike said in another thread that you have a smaller "bonus" chance to receive the sub-featured 5* hero. If it worked how you thought then the first month the crystal comes out the sub-featured 5* would have like a 40% drop chance since the list is so huge right now.

DrZola wrote: »
    That's kind of the point though--we basically play a lottery (or raffle or whatever) for virtual/online goods and have little to no idea what the odds are for winning. We say ~20% for a featured but that's only a guess. Who came up with it? Has it borne out over time? Is it a consistent rate or does it fluctuate?

Exactly this is why the player base has been asking for drop rates for so long - we all know we are playing the lottery with every crystal we just want to know the odds of winning certain prizes so we can make valuation comparisons between the different choices. This game has a huge disparity of knowledge between new and veteran players when it comes to what is truly worth buying and Kabam seems content on keeping it that way even though when those new players find out that they wasted their units/money they will be more likely to stop playing.

The drop rate for the current featured 5* hero was determined through a mistake by Kabam where a player was able to open thousands of crystals during the dimensional rift event. It may have also been confirmed by data-miners such as MCOC Mod but I'm less certain about that. Either way we have no idea if the rate fluctuates or has changed at any point in time, we simply have to take Kabam's word that they don't do those things.

We don't know the Drop Rates, and they won't discuss them, but I believe you're close. If you rate it from highest to lowest, Basic, Featured, Subfeatured. For the purpose of approximation, it's more like:
    Basic - 75%
    Featured - 20%
    Subfeatured - 5%

The actual numbers may be greater or less than, but that's the perspective.