**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Summoner Showdown... a Huge letdown?

SavageSavage Posts: 621 ★★★
So I've been anticipating this event for months. My first true shot at making it to NYCC to compete among the MCOC greats for the ultimate competition. Obviously with Covid-19 and other reasons they cancelled their booth for this year but that still did not stop them from making the competition. But this competition was not what I had expected at all.

For starters, only 4 star champions are allowed. I don't know the exact reason for this because I personally haven't touched my 4 star roster in about a year because of the act 6 restrictions, and I'm sure many others have too. And now all of a sudden they matter? Not only that, but suicides are allowed... meaning I would have to spend hundreds of units just to switch up my masteries from week to week to fit the required option? Now this is very stressing for a busy f2p player who can't grind much arena nor spend a cent. And to make matters worse... Medusa is the only viable option for the fight? Summoners from 2017 have a great advantage over me because they already have a maxed 4* Medusa while my late 2018 account didn't need the old champ anymore, let alone a 4* to get content done. So my only option would be to waste ISO and catalysts on her and spend money on units to max out my attack masteries. Sounds very skill-based... 😑

Why exactly couldn't the fights be on a beta for cavaliers where they would be given every single 4* champion in the game and free mastery switching just like the prior showdowns? And why is there unlimited attempts to get the highest score? I see the event as it should be: A one and done showcase of skill. All it has been so far is a Medusa speedrun and AI RnG joke.

Comments

• SavageSavage Posts: 621 ★★★
    naikavon said:

So... you don't want to spend (totally fine) and you don't want to grind ( again fine) but you want to lament the fact you can't open suicides?

Consequences. Whatever choice you make, whatever path you choose...all are fine but consequences for those actions are also yours.

As an aside, why does every ftp player feel obligated to inform others of their ftp status? I've spent a little, not much so I mostly consider myself ftp but I grind. I grind like there is no tomorrow. I always have units. ( currently over 13k) Maybe ya'll should try it sometime.

Don't know where you got that assumption from but I got suicides, equipped right now actually, and plenty of other masteries from grinding the **** out of arena. Right now I have things like class, work, and other matters filling up my schedule so I literally cannot do a full run of arena. Masteries like that eat up hundreds of units each time you change them and I'd rather save my units for my variant 5 exploration run. I simply stated my f2p status because if you haven't known, f2p players get less units. (duh) My Gold and Iso situation is bothering more than my units because I don't want to waste resources on a champion I'm only going to use for one fight. I already have a few options for the surfer fight but aren't viable enough to kill him in 10 minutes.
  • odogg9941odogg9941 Posts: 418 ★★★
    That’s just wrong. Lmao
    edited August 2020
    Oh, and if you are going to tap on that disagree button, care to explain why? I would like to hear a response defending the "fair and competitive enviornment" of this event rather than some lame attempts at personal attacks.
  • naikavonnaikavon Posts: 298 ★★★
    Savage said:

naikavon said:

So... you don't want to spend (totally fine) and you don't want to grind ( again fine) but you want to lament the fact you can't open suicides?

Consequences. Whatever choice you make, whatever path you choose...all are fine but consequences for those actions are also yours.

As an aside, why does every ftp player feel obligated to inform others of their ftp status? I've spent a little, not much so I mostly consider myself ftp but I grind. I grind like there is no tomorrow. I always have units. ( currently over 13k) Maybe ya'll should try it sometime.

Don't know where you got that assumption from but I got suicides, equipped right now actually, and plenty of other masteries from grinding the **** out of arena. Right now I have things like class, work, and other matters filling up my schedule so I literally cannot do a full run of arena. Masteries like that eat up hundreds of units each time you change them and I'd rather save my units for my variant 5 exploration run. I simply stated my f2p status because if you haven't known, f2p players get less units. (duh) My Gold and Iso situation is bothering more than my units because I don't want to waste resources on a champion I'm only going to use for one fight. I already have a few options for the surfer fight but aren't viable enough to kill him in 10 minutes.
    My mistake then. You are right I assumed. I did so because you spoke about time and units. I do agree that they are harder to come by for ftp but certainly not impossible.

All that aside, in what world do you think it's justifiable for you and your busy schedule to be accommodated? If someone is willing to change their masteries and rank up a champ (that's been out a while and any serious arena grinder would have at least r3 prolly r4) do you not consider their time and investment important. The prizes for this competition are pretty amazing. This who are serious about winning it are gonna do whatever it takes to win.

The truth is,, you lost the moment ranking up a champ was a problem. I don't say that to be mean, only to point out the mindset needed to win this thing
  • No_oneukNo_oneuk Posts: 1,430 ★★★★★
    Savage said:

So I've been anticipating this event for months. My first true shot at making it to NYCC to compete among the MCOC greats for the ultimate competition. Obviously with Covid-19 and other reasons they cancelled their booth for this year but that still did not stop them from making the competition. But this competition was not what I had expected at all.

For starters, only 4 star champions are allowed. I don't know the exact reason for this because I personally haven't touched my 4 star roster in about a year because of the act 6 restrictions, and I'm sure many others have too. And now all of a sudden they matter? Not only that, but suicides are allowed... meaning I would have to spend hundreds of units just to switch up my masteries from week to week to fit the required option? Now this is very stressing for a busy f2p player who can't grind much arena nor spend a cent. And to make matters worse... Medusa is the only viable option for the fight? Summoners from 2017 have a great advantage over me because they already have a maxed 4* Medusa while my late 2018 account didn't need the old champ anymore, let alone a 4* to get content done. So my only option would be to waste ISO and catalysts on her and spend money on units to max out my attack masteries. Sounds very skill-based... 😑

Why exactly couldn't the fights be on a beta for cavaliers where they would be given every single 4* champion in the game and free mastery switching just like the prior showdowns? And why is there unlimited attempts to get the highest score? I see the event as it should be: A one and done showcase of skill. All it has been so far is a Medusa speedrun and AI RnG joke.

what makes you think medusa is the only viable option for the fight, she's not even the fastest option...
    edited August 2020
    naikavon said:

Savage said:

naikavon said:

My mistake then. You are right I assumed. I did so because you spoke about time and units. I do agree that they are harder to come by for ftp but certainly not impossible.

All that aside, in what world do you think it's justifiable for you and your busy schedule to be accommodated? If someone is willing to change their masteries and rank up a champ (that's been out a while and any serious arena grinder would have at least r3 prolly r4) do you not consider their time and investment important. The prizes for this competition are pretty amazing. This who are serious about winning it are gonna do whatever it takes to win.

The truth is,, you lost the moment ranking up a champ was a problem. I don't say that to be mean, only to point out the mindset needed to win this thing
    The competition is flawed. Just look at the leaderboard. It's just a glorified speedrun with no real skill involved. You heal from the armor breaks inflicted on you so a simple playstyle is totally viable. All you need to do is play aggressive and any decent player could get a fast kill time. The only ones are top are there because they got lucky and had an AI that wasn't ever passive. If it were a real challenge, there wouldn't be unlimited retries and there would be more options to use.
    No_oneuk said:

Savage said:

what makes you think medusa is the only viable option for the fight, she's not even the fastest option...
    Leaderbord says otherwise my guy. Thanks to the coldsnap node, she's the only one killing him quickly because there are no instantaneous armor break champions out there that dont need much rampup, let alone have consistent DoT like Medusa has.
    typgh said:

Can the melodrama, lol. You weren’t making the top four to go to NYCC anyways.

Lol... someone hasn't seen me play. Here's some example's. Not saying I'm the best but I could've had a chance had this event been more fair.

https://youtu.be/VaSP7G5lvQ4

https://youtu.be/JZUKzGRUQ5c
  • TerraTerra Posts: 7,995 ★★★★★
    No_oneuk said:

Savage said:

Shouldn't IMIW also be a option?
  • I0NuT_33I0NuT_33 Posts: 2

Thank you to everyone for the feedback. We appreciate any constructive thoughts shared.

what will happen with the players that defeat surfer before the change? Now it's easy. What will happen with all the units that's been used? From where we get them back?
    edited August 2020
    Aziz5253 said:

If you think you have a chance at the leader board with your skills, the rewards for winning should very well overcome any 'wasted resources' on maxing your 4* medusa. You know very well yourself that you don't have a chance at being the top and hence the hesitation in ranking her up

I don't have an awakening gem for Medusa so I don't even have a chance this week regardless of my skill. I know for a fact that the leaderboard scores are based on luck so I'm not sitting for hours on end to get the perfect score just for someone else to get 1 second faster of a time. This event is just so messy and I got other ways to demonstrate my skill, like my upcoming 1k unit abyss run.

I think bishop is able to do some big damage with all these coldsnaps

Tried and he just took too much damage to finish the fight.
  • SiliyoSiliyo Posts: 1,378 ★★★★★
    The biggest letdown is that this doesn’t really test skill. It’s a race of RNG mostly. They’ve made it a kill race and as you can see from the leaderboard, Medusa is the only true viable option. So unless you have Medusa and optimize your masteries specifically for this fight, you won’t qualify. This isn’t as skill based as the Grandmaster fight (which is what they should have taken notes from).
  • Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    Something I’d like to see if something similar is run in the future is a huge scale leaderboard with a few thousand people on, rewards go up as you get higher in the leaderboard (similar to Thor rags event if anyone remembers that) but focused on that fight. This would mean a much larger group are encouraged to compete, still only have the top few per region progress though
  • UltimatheoryUltimatheory Posts: 520 ★★★
    Lvernon15 said:

Something I’d like to see if something similar is run in the future is a huge scale leaderboard with a few thousand people on, rewards go up as you get higher in the leaderboard (similar to Thor rags event if anyone remembers that) but focused on that fight. This would mean a much larger group are encouraged to compete, still only have the top few per region progress though

This is a great idea. Encouragement to actually go back in and still try to do a decent job even if you know you can’t hit the top spots. The actual competition part is a bit too restrictive and because of that I feel like it’s turning many off from even trying it.
  • SiliyoSiliyo Posts: 1,378 ★★★★★

Siliyo said:

The biggest letdown is that this doesn’t really test skill. It’s a race of RNG mostly. They’ve made it a kill race and as you can see from the leaderboard, Medusa is the only true viable option. So unless you have Medusa and optimize your masteries specifically for this fight, you won’t qualify. This isn’t as skill based as the Grandmaster fight (which is what they should have taken notes from).

the grandmaster fight, if it was a race for fastest time, would be no different in your sense of being pure rng, and would have exactly ONE counter, whoever it turned out was the fastest
    Oh I’m sorry. I didn’t realize the Grandmaster fight had a node like Energy Adoption where you would need either an Armor Break or Coldsnap Immune character. Unless I’m mistaken or you haven’t touched the Grandmaster.
  • Jedi_HawkeJedi_Hawke Posts: 955 ★★★

Thank you to everyone for the feedback. We appreciate any constructive thoughts shared.

Can you go ahead and do your little. “These threads are going no where we are gonna close them down” thing on the showdown threads.
    I mean you mods won’t let us talk about next months event and who might be in it, and other enjoyable topics. But we can have 20 of these showdown threads.
  • Jedi_HawkeJedi_Hawke Posts: 955 ★★★
    edited August 2020
    Arsoz said:

Can you go ahead and do your little. “These threads are going no where we are gonna close them down” thing on the showdown threads.
    I mean you mods won’t let us talk about next months event and who might be in it, and other enjoyable topics. But we can have 20 of these showdown threads.

So salty, with extra salt. Salt on salt. The Mods are amazing!
  • danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,045 ★★★★★
    Siliyo said:

Siliyo said:

the grandmaster fight, if it was a race for fastest time, would be no different in your sense of being pure rng, and would have exactly ONE counter, whoever it turned out was the fastest
    Oh I’m sorry. I didn’t realize the Grandmaster fight had a node like Energy Adoption where you would need either an Armor Break or Coldsnap Immune character. Unless I’m mistaken or you haven’t touched the Grandmaster.
    I did my 6.4 legends run months ago, but that’s not the point. ANY given fight/node combo will always have one optimal counter, if it is a speed run