**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

7.2 Excludes VPNs So Why Not....

KerayZKerayZ Posts: 220 ★★★
edited May 2021 in Suggestions and Requests
Can we apply this to Arena too? The same top 100 sweatshop arena merc buyers have been plaguing your Arena for years. With the announcement of the new 6* arenas will you disqualify VPN's from ranked rewards as well?

With 7.1 you cracked down on Legend Runs and then allowed them to keep ruining the leaderboard in AQ, AW & Arena.

I see no official announcement on the Arena. Just the roadmap talk. Roadmap did not even mention VPN excluded from 7.2. So will Kabam be transparent on how far the VPN exclusions will go? Will the community ask Kabam to apply this to other competitive areas?
Post edited by Kabam Zibiit on

Comments

• JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★
    KerayZ said:

Jaded said:

Can they not just ban VPN usage altogether to get into the game?

The situations I can think of that someone would have to use a VPN can’t be much of a player base.

China and many places in the middle east use VPN to login. I dont think its bad to allow them to login but it's bad if you allow them to use VPN's to merc top 100 Arena. Disqualifying them from the rank rewards is the right move because they can still play the game but not abuse the system.
    Yes, tbh I’m unsure if they all need a VPN to play or not. Kabam use to have a different server for those players once upon a time then closed it and moved them to a global situation. If they all need VPN to just play the game then banning VPN from any game mode isn’t fair. Again, that point of view is only if they have to use VPN to play.
  • Steam97Steam97 Posts: 110 ★★
    JuroSan said:

I am from middle east and been playing this game for 6 years now, I can not login to the game without a VPN like you see in the screenshot, so I will be very said if Kabam banns VPN for the whole game since I am very invested in this game

You can play normally, u just can't go for the legend run
  • Texas_11Texas_11 Posts: 2,638 ★★★★★
    edited May 2021

As an avid arena grinder it would be nice to level the playing for top 100, no bots no mercs. I haven't gotten every new champs with the top 300 and tho I am looking forward to the new arenas I am extremely concern on the fairness of it and it all.

You don’t see bots in the big arenas.
  • BinkPlayzBinkPlayz Posts: 99 ★★
    Texas_11 said:

As an avid arena grinder it would be nice to level the playing for top 100, no bots no mercs. I haven't gotten every new champs with the top 300 and tho I am looking forward to the new arenas I am extremely concern on the fairness of it and it all.

You don’t see bots in the big arenas.
    Problem now is that there’s only big arenas now, the only exception being the 4* nexus arena
  • KerayZKerayZ Posts: 220 ★★★

what next? ban people for using VPN?
    there are people out there can't login to the game without VPN, wither it's due to geographic location, or due to ongoing bug since god's know for how long.
    there are so many ways they can do to ban cheaters, but they don't! and that is their job to do (figure out new ways of finding mercs), not mine

whether you like it or not it's already happened with legend runs. so make it happen for arenas too. top 100 legend runs = top 100 arena rewards. same thing. you can still play the game you just wont be able to compete on your special VPN which is fair :)
  • Ankush69Ankush69 Posts: 21
    It would be great if it is applied to arena, but I think it should be limited to top500 specifically so as to allow people who genuinely use VPN to play a fair chance as well
  • DOC83DOC83 Posts: 33
    Definately. No use of vpns shud be applied in the game. Since we lost gifting for an exploit. Vpns uses shud be lost for exploits. Sure some people wud have a problem but people who have mcoc banned in thier countries can just submit address rpoof to show they r from thier cou try and kabaam can allow those accounts.
    DOC83 said:

Definately. No use of vpns shud be applied in the game. Since we lost gifting for an exploit. Vpns uses shud be lost for exploits. Sure some people wud have a problem but people who have mcoc banned in thier countries can just submit address rpoof to show they r from thier cou try and kabaam can allow those accounts.

I'm not on that page with ya. I get what you're saying but VPN's can be used just for security and peace of mind. Excluding them from competitive areas is definitely something i'm for though. Good analogy though comparing it to gifting because you're right. We all lost something valuable because of them abusing it. How is this any different? Makes total sense.
  • SenretSenret Posts: 26
    First, there are legitimate privacy uses for VPNs unrelated to cheating.

Second, people act like detecting all VPN activity is simple. A lot of VPN detection is done by looking at common IP ranges from well known VPN providers. So, people should realize that cheaters can even get around this with little problem by simply standing up their own VPN. Cheaters will always find a way to cheat. In fact, Kabam may not really be detecting VPNs insomuch as unusual usage patterns originating from an IP.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    DOC83 said:

Using VPNs in general isn't something they can police. Being anonymous in certain aspects of the game is something they can, especially when verification is required to ensure fair results. Also, as a side correction, Gifting was removed because of Fraud, both within the game and without. People were using fraudulent credit card info, and accepting payment outside of the game for Gifting services. It was a whole mess. The issue was they could just make new Accounts, and it was Whack-A-Mole.
  • FluffyPigMonsterFluffyPigMonster Posts: 2,069 ★★★★★
    I use VPN for work so I have to disable it every time I log in. I travel all over the place, so what’s the point? It would be better if my VPN said the same thing every time instead of shutting it off and I’m in South America somewhere.

VPN is for my security. I’ll gladly shut it off, but it has to apply for everyone. I did a legends run for 7.1 and fell short. That’s the way things are. I’ll try again. But you can’t tell people they can’t qualify for certain rewards if they use a VPN. The poster from the Middle East - he can’t grind arena and do a legends run? How is that fair?

Just because there are mercs doesn’t mean every security feature that people use for real life should be shut off. I would say then your email needs to be verified. Then your account should be with a credit card (no charge) in order to verify you’re a real user. It can go ok forever.

I use VPN for work so I have to disable it every time I log in. I travel all over the place, so what’s the point? It would be better if my VPN said the same thing every time instead of shutting it off and I’m in South America somewhere.

VPN is for my security. I’ll gladly shut it off, but it has to apply for everyone. I did a legends run for 7.1 and fell short. That’s the way things are. I’ll try again. But you can’t tell people they can’t qualify for certain rewards if they use a VPN. The poster from the Middle East - he can’t grind arena and do a legends run? How is that fair?

Just because there are mercs doesn’t mean every security feature that people use for real life should be shut off. I would say then your email needs to be verified. Then your account should be with a credit card (no charge) in order to verify you’re a real user. It can go ok forever.

This is where you're wrong though. Kabam already told you you do not qualify for certain rewards if you use VPN on 7.2 legend runs. So that kinda deflates your whole point since you're already being told.