**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Why has Namor fallen from the meta?

Bawa69Bawa69 Posts: 488 ★★★
I remember a time when Namor was fairly new and he was THE champ to get and content creators spent hundreds of bucks to get him.... then suddenly everyone just stopped talking about him....was it the rebalancing nerf or was it that he just fell from the meta hard....as far as i remember his nerf was pretty traumatic for some but it was not that bad....or was it?

Comments

• Primis00Primis00 Posts: 265 ★★★
    He became kinda slow to play. its not like what pseudosane is saying but i just have other options that get to their damage quicker and i havent really had that much need for his sig ability. I still use him from time to time but he became significantly more boring to play after the nerf.
  • Thanks_D19Thanks_D19 Posts: 1,480 ★★★★

For me, there’s a few factors. Firstly, a shift in design of content and secondly the nerf. Namor pre nerf was probably the best damage back counter in the game, nice regen, and a huge damage dealer with accessible damage. Post nerf, his damage was made much less accessible to the point where what’s the point in going through 70+ hits to get IR triggering, when lots of other champs have better, more accessible damage. His regen was halved but his damage back utility remained.

This wasn’t enough to take Namor out of the picture, and he was still used in 6.4 for a lot of damage back, but, there was a shift in design philosophy from Kabam.

Namor was such a great addition to the roster because Kabam introduced a lot of nodes and high attack values for unavoidable damage in act 6 that Namor worked really well for. Unfortunately for Namor, after act 6 they made a design choice to make gameplay less punishing, and as a result of the community outrage from the OG 7.1 beta, the subsequent story content was filled with rewarding nodes, rather than niche, damage back nodes.

Namors nerf came out in Feb 2020

Act 6 chapter 4 came out in March 2020

The first beta for act 7.1 came out in May 2020

So after his nerf, he largely went down from people’s minds as a damage or regen option, and after the design shift, people simply didn’t need a damage back counter, as most of the hard damage back content in act 6 didn’t make it into the final version of act 7. Had one or the other happened, namor wouldn’t have had such a dramatic fall from grace. But honestly, he’s still a fantastic utility option for damage back when it is necessary and he still has pretty decent damage and regen. There are just better options. He’s not out of the meta, but he did take a hit.

Yep this is very true. It was definetly the change in design philosophy that hurt him the most because Namor was very valuable in the Gaunlet which was designed to be much more punishing and had much higher attack values
  • AATTAATT Posts: 525 ★★★
    With gauntlet he showed us his value. One week ago I finally finished to sig 200 and r5 him
  • MauledMauled Posts: 3,957 Guardian
    He’s never fallen out. He’s always been a high prestige option but utility wise he’s niche and always has been. He probably has less use now that most of the big players have finished act 6 and that’s where a lot of his value came from.
  • SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,216 ★★★★★
    Mauled said:

He’s never fallen out. He’s always been a high prestige option but utility wise he’s niche and always has been. He probably has less use now that most of the big players have finished act 6 and that’s where a lot of his value came from.

Yes, can't deny how helpful he is in act6 100%.
    Anyway I'm glad to have a Sig 200 in back pocket whenever he would be needed.
  • RookiieRookiie Posts: 4,769 ★★★★★
    edited August 2021

In my opinion, his nerf neutered him. His healing is pretty much useless now

Same, no matter what others say I'm convinced this is the case
    And it's not just his healing, his ramp up too
  • PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,835 ★★★★★
    Its the nerf, ignore anyone that says it wasnt a nerf. The nerf made him a dps beast champ to a champ that only sees action for his sig. before the nerf i would always see him hyped, and even compared to omega (who at the time was the mutant king).
  • RookiieRookiie Posts: 4,769 ★★★★★
    They need to roll back the nerf imo
    It wasn't crucial & as SMW said above it neutered him
  • altavistaaltavista Posts: 1,288 ★★★★
    Also something that doesn't help him is the mutant class is stacked with new game changers - Apocalypse and Prof X being released last year brought a whole lot of new things to the table, the Magneto buffs gives a pre-fight ability and a SP3 nuke feats. Heck, Apocalypse has breathed new life into other mutants (Cable, Gambit, Storm).

So, with all of that, its understandable that Namor has become somewhat forgotten.
  • ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,751 ★★★★★
    He was a great multitool before, but with a lot of champs with a lot of just hard immunities and other abilities that counter damage-back interactions, I usually find that I always have better options on hand for most of the stuff that he was great for. He's still a great champion for what he needs to do when you need him to do it, but he's only the best alternative anymore for a dwindling amount of things at the moment.
  • DawsManDawsMan Posts: 2,151 ★★★★★
    Needs max sig, many more characters with non contact attacks to deal with similar situations to him, and his damage isn't big right away.
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    the ramp up after the nerf is too high