**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Definitely going to hoard more

Is it just me or do events like caps commissary and the lack of pre-event communication cause anyone else to decide to definitely hoard more resources?
I mean I’ve been saving awakening gems for a long time in case the awakening gem trade in event happened all of a sudden like last time. I was hoping for something similar here but nope.
Then I just spent 1+mil loyalty on rank up resources about a month and a half before this event since I didn’t know it was coming. Makes me want to hoard more and more for these quick shot events so I don’t miss out.
It’s seems to me that kabam could benefit from hiring a social engineer to help design events like this to be announced far in advanced so people can prep while still delivering killer $$ deals that their paying players still want.
Then I see where kabam mods are claiming they’re trying to get people to not hoard.
This is NOT the way - Mando

Comments

• Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 3,972 ★★★★★
    Cry about soidy dupe nd vtd... But gully us great
  • Options
    Wubbie075Wubbie075 Posts: 734 ★★★
    IMO Kabam should do another of the gem/stone trade-ins with the ability to get up to 7* gem & stones, with a very early announcement (like announce right now for a holiday season event) with an unequivocal statement that they will not be doing it again. And then, actually do not do it again. I know they have made such an announcement, but IIRC, it was some time after the event was completed that they said not to expect it again. By that point, many of us had already accumulated a fair few of the items anticipating another one.

It'd be a huge PR win for them and will allow those of us who are hoarding those items relax and let go.

• Options
    The1_NuclearOnionThe1_NuclearOnion Posts: 907 ★★★
    Yeah I understand spending items efficiently if that is what you’re saying @DNA3000 and I’m not saying I don’t do just that but my point still stands even after you stated that they said they are “trying not to encourage players to hoard”. In your words “That’s Not true”.

This kind of event most definitely and very specifically encourages just that. Hoard everything because they may offer stuff that is otherwise difficult to get when you least expect it and don’t have time to accumulate. This is exactly what you do when you want players to hoard resources.
  • Options
    Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Posts: 13,764 ★★★★★
    edited October 2023
    ahmynuts said:

Me with my 450 t4cc crystals

Amateur.

• Options
    Sachhyam257Sachhyam257 Posts: 976 ★★★★
    ahmynuts said:

DNA3000 said:

Then I see where kabam mods are claiming they’re trying to get people to not hoard.

I spend resources when I think it makes sense, I save them when I think that makes sense, and I literally laugh in the face of anyone who tells me I'm "hoarding." I'm playing the game optimally. Every spending decision I make, whether to spend or not, is a calculated decision. It isn't a decision with any expectation of some unknown future payoff. And there is nothing Kabam or any other player can do that can change how I play. I play efficiently. I will always play efficiently. That's not always the right choice in the long run, but it works for me.
    This is 110% pure, unfiltered Brian Grant energy.
    That man gives me so much anxiety lol, I swear he only claims them after the expiration countdown goes red.
  • Options
    PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,835 ★★★★★
    I just found it funny that the intention of the prior announcement to the Cap event was to tell us it was a small scale that wouldn’t require hoarding but it ending up actually causing more people to adopt a hoard like mentality. I’ll definitely be saving as many items now as I can.

• Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,687 Guardian

Yeah I understand spending items efficiently if that is what you’re saying @DNA3000 and I’m not saying I don’t do just that but my point still stands even after you stated that they said they are “trying not to encourage players to hoard”. In your words “That’s Not true”.

This kind of event most definitely and very specifically encourages just that. Hoard everything because they may offer stuff that is otherwise difficult to get when you least expect it and don’t have time to accumulate. This is exactly what you do when you want players to hoard resources.

That's like saying because the large popcorn costs only a little more than the large popcorn at the movies, the theaters are encouraging players to overeat. Just because you're presented with an option, doesn't mean you're absolved of the responsibility of making good choices based on the ramifications of those choices.

If you're willing to bet that a) such offers will come along in the future and b) they will have sufficient value to be worth saving for and c) they will arrive soon enough to make their value better than the inflation adjusted value of using the resources now, then you aren't hoarding, you're just saving. You can quibble with the wording, but choosing to spend resources later instead of now is literally what players are doing every second of play. You could blow everything now and spend every last catalyst and gold until you run out of a critical bottleneck, but few players actually do that. They spend some, but not all their resources. That is literally why the resources exist at all: the game could just autospend them, or not even have them and just have progress markers: do this, and that champ ranks up right now, no choice, no agency. The game decides for you what happens next.

But the idea of hoarding is that when this is not a calculated decision, when Its saving for no specific purpose in the mistaken belief that there will always be something better, that this is harmful, and this is something Kabam doesn't want to encourage.. And honestly, for many players those offers were not worth saving for. But just like slot machines unintentionally encourage some people to go bankrupt and the wine section of the supermarket unintentionally encourages some people to become alcoholics, giving people options they cannot assess rationally and take responsibility for will encourage some players to do dumb things. They can't completely eliminate those options, because that would harm the game overall. But they can moderate them and they can warn people appropriately.

If, as you say, these types of offers are what you do if you explicitly *want* players to hoard, what exactly do you do if you want to discourage players from hoarding? Eliminate all such offers completely, so resources above a certain minimum easily achievable become worthless? That's bad game design, especially for a long term game as a service. If your game has an ending, you can know with precision exactly what resources will be needed to accomplish which outcomes. But open ended games as a service are about cultivating a sense of having a future. That what you are working on now will go on for a while. That the champions you earn today will be useful next year, that the loyalty you earn today will be useful tomorrow. That can only happen if there is the belief that these resources will have open ended value into the future. But you're still supposed to make intelligent decisions about what to spend today and what to save for tomorrow. Someone without that sort of impulse control is probably not an appropriate player for this type of game.

Ultimately, the game wants players for the long term, and thus it wants players who will feel like their efforts and accomplishments, which includes the resources they earn, will be worth something in the future. But they also want players who can make rational decisions about what to spend today to enjoy the game and what to save for tomorrow. Essentially what every financial planner tells people over the age of 40 who isn't completely broke. You're not supposed to hoard, and you're not supposed to blow it all instantly. The options in the Commissary stores were moderate, reasonable options. For players who did not have enough resources, it can look like they aren't, but that's always going to be true.
  • Options
    UsagicassidyUsagicassidy Posts: 1,052 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 writing their 100,000 word thesis over here.

It would need to be about a hundred times longer to be a credible doctorate thesis.
    I have full faith that you will get there!
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★
    Hoard, don’t hoard. Spend, don’t spend. Do whatever you like, no one cares.
  • Options
    Doctor14Doctor14 Posts: 37

SammyDe said:

Hoarding is the way to go in life, so how is it any different in the Battlerealm?

If I recalled correctly, they did announced that the loyalty store was getting buffed, so I saved almost 3m before this event. Also when they introduced 7* in the game, I figured these resources would come in handy by the end of the year.

It is never too late to come to the dark side.

Hoarding ain't the way of life never know when you will die. Save too but take risks as a life without risk is death. And to live is to risk it all.
    Like the Lonely Island sang YOLO
    So be careful you never know when you’ll be attacked by piranhas
  • Options
    GhostboytjieGhostboytjie Posts: 2,208 ★★★★★
    Looking at these numbers it is clear that BrianGrant opens to much crystals vs these guys
  • Options
    AshacekarAshacekar Posts: 1,777 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

That's like saying because the large popcorn costs only a little more than the large popcorn at the movies, the theaters are encouraging players to overeat. Just because you're presented with an option, doesn't mean you're absolved of the responsibility of making good choices based on the ramifications of those choices.

If you're willing to bet that a) such offers will come along in the future and b) they will have sufficient value to be worth saving for and c) they will arrive soon enough to make their value better than the inflation adjusted value of using the resources now, then you aren't hoarding, you're just saving. You can quibble with the wording, but choosing to spend resources later instead of now is literally what players are doing every second of play. You could blow everything now and spend every last catalyst and gold until you run out of a critical bottleneck, but few players actually do that. They spend some, but not all their resources. That is literally why the resources exist at all: the game could just autospend them, or not even have them and just have progress markers: do this, and that champ ranks up right now, no choice, no agency. The game decides for you what happens next.

But the idea of hoarding is that when this is not a calculated decision, when Its saving for no specific purpose in the mistaken belief that there will always be something better, that this is harmful, and this is something Kabam doesn't want to encourage.. And honestly, for many players those offers were not worth saving for. But just like slot machines unintentionally encourage some people to go bankrupt and the wine section of the supermarket unintentionally encourages some people to become alcoholics, giving people options they cannot assess rationally and take responsibility for will encourage some players to do dumb things. They can't completely eliminate those options, because that would harm the game overall. But they can moderate them and they can warn people appropriately.

If, as you say, these types of offers are what you do if you explicitly *want* players to hoard, what exactly do you do if you want to discourage players from hoarding? Eliminate all such offers completely, so resources above a certain minimum easily achievable become worthless? That's bad game design, especially for a long term game as a service. If your game has an ending, you can know with precision exactly what resources will be needed to accomplish which outcomes. But open ended games as a service are about cultivating a sense of having a future. That what you are working on now will go on for a while. That the champions you earn today will be useful next year, that the loyalty you earn today will be useful tomorrow. That can only happen if there is the belief that these resources will have open ended value into the future. But you're still supposed to make intelligent decisions about what to spend today and what to save for tomorrow. Someone without that sort of impulse control is probably not an appropriate player for this type of game.

Ultimately, the game wants players for the long term, and thus it wants players who will feel like their efforts and accomplishments, which includes the resources they earn, will be worth something in the future. But they also want players who can make rational decisions about what to spend today to enjoy the game and what to save for tomorrow. Essentially what every financial planner tells people over the age of 40 who isn't completely broke. You're not supposed to hoard, and you're not supposed to blow it all instantly. The options in the Commissary stores were moderate, reasonable options. For players who did not have enough resources, it can look like they aren't, but that's always going to be true.
    Seems in depth analysis. I need a published thesis and research paper.
  • Options
    klobberintymeklobberintyme Posts: 1,429 ★★★★

Sometimes i get confused and wonder Did I redirect to a Medium thinkpiece? Nope, just the dude in need of an editor.

Fun game: count the dangling sentences. When you hit multiplies of 10, slap your knee and say YeeHaw that's hella danglin!
  • Options
    Examples

When would it be beneficial to not open 6* crystals or featured crystals in the past?
    Those shards were not convertible up to this point and you got 7* shards for duped 6s.

Then this event….

Loyalty. When would it be beneficial to hoard a ton of it? The item purchases are limited by loyalty cost and quantity by time with no significant indicator anything greater was coming.

Then this event….

It’s weird that you’re arguing like I’m someone who doesn’t manage resources well @DNA3000 I actually agree with managing resources well and do just fine in the game.

My point is that these events, their timeline, and lack of clear advertisement does indeed promote hoarding. Not saving responsibly. “Hoarding” things to wait for the next wild event kabam decides to have. I don’t do it to my determinant but I definitely do hold on to things as long as I can for this reason.

We all know we have decisions to make but my point is what this behavior promotes….
  • Options
    MrSakuragiMrSakuragi Posts: 3,975 ★★★★★

Examples

When would it be beneficial to not open 6* crystals or featured crystals in the past?
    Those shards were not convertible up to this point and you got 7* shards for duped 6s.

Then this event….

Loyalty. When would it be beneficial to hoard a ton of it? The item purchases are limited by loyalty cost and quantity by time with no significant indicator anything greater was coming.

Then this event….

It’s weird that you’re arguing like I’m someone who doesn’t manage resources well @DNA3000 I actually agree with managing resources well and do just fine in the game.

My point is that these events, their timeline, and lack of clear advertisement does indeed promote hoarding. Not saving responsibly. “Hoarding” things to wait for the next wild event kabam decides to have. I don’t do it to my determinant but I definitely do hold on to things as long as I can for this reason.

We all know we have decisions to make but my point is what this behavior promotes….

Updates to the loyalty store were announced as coming soon and many people were saving their loyalty for the refresh. This wasn’t out of the blue.
  • Options
    @MrSakuragi true but like a month and half earlier with no what or when exactly if I recall.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,687 Guardian

Sometimes i get confused and wonder Did I redirect to a Medium thinkpiece? Nope, just the dude in need of an editor.

Fun game: count the dangling sentences. When you hit multiplies of 10, slap your knee and say YeeHaw that's hella danglin!
    Dangling modifiers I sometimes use for colloquial or stylistic purposes when they do not interfere with the referential meaning of the text. This is something I otherwise pay a lot of attention to, having a) been taught to do so specifically, and b) been trained to emphasize both in technical writing and general presentation settings, and c) also look for when I function as an editor.

"Dangling sentences" is something someone accuses someone else of using when they want to sound smart but forgot what the lexical term was called. "Dangling sentence" is, ironically, a misapplied modifier. Which is probably an amusing error, for the nerdy grammaticists out there.

(Anyone out there confused about the referent of "which" in that sentence?)