Patriot’s percentages are U.S. history references(?)

SquidopusSquidopus Member Posts: 250 ★★★
So if you’ve looked through Patriot’s kit before, you may have noticed that he has some weirdly specific percentages tied to some of his abilities. I’m pretty certain that they’re supposed to be references to important U.S. history milestones (since he’s all about America):

1: He reduces weakness and inequity potency by 76%. The Declaration of Independence was signed in 1776.
2: As an attacker, the fury gained from performing a reversal has 87% increased duration. The U.S. Constitution was approved in 1787.
3: His base regeneration rate is 44% instead of the usual 100%… but I have no idea what the number “44” might be referring to.

Anyone have any ideas what significance 44 might have? I couldn’t find any particularly important events that took place in 1744, 1844, or 1944 that seem to tie in nicely like the other two. It’s possible it has some tie to the U.S. beyond a date, but if it does I have no clue how I would look for that. This has been bothering me for a while so I figured I’d just ask and see if other people have a clue.

(I guess it’s also possible that the percentages don’t actually mean anything, but given how specific they are it really feels like it should be referencing something. If it wasn’t, why not make his regeneration rate 50% like Kingpin or 40% like DDHK? I mean at least make it 45% so it’s divisible by 5. You can’t tell me they went through balancing and thought 45% was too much but 44% was just right. But I digress.)

Comments

• TerminatrixTerminatrix Member Posts: 2,678 ★★★★★
    Intersting find! I'd say the 44 is for Barack Obama since he was the 44th president of the United States, another US History milestone.
    edited August 17
    Something else that comes to mind is 1944 was also one of the years that the Tuskeegee Airmen aka "Red Tails", and first African American military pilots, were in combat, Another US History milestone.
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,057 ★★★★★

• captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 7,865 ★★★★★
    edited August 17
    Real celebrations should be abolition of slavery, Abolition of apartheid and granting voting rights for everyone, but yeah.
  • peixemacacopeixemacaco Member Posts: 2,264 ★★★★

D-Day was June 6, 1944. That's all I got.

This 👆
  • Ayden_noah1Ayden_noah1 Member Posts: 1,672 ★★★★

Intersting find! I'd say the 44 is for Barack Obama since he was the 44th president of the United States, another US History milestone.

Consider in the preview it shows how he has a hard time trusting the government, I think Barack Obama idea might have more merit than most would think. Remember during the TV show the original Patriot wasn't treat all that well by the former president due to race issues.
  • SummonerNRSummonerNR Member, Guardian Posts: 12,234 Guardian
    If the first 2 were YEAR references, then I’d assume the other one would ALSO be year-related.

You had me concerned at first when you said..
    “ I couldn’t find any particularly important events that took place in 1744, 1844, or 1944 that seem to tie in nicely like the other two”

Was like, wow, how far off have our history textbooks fallen off nowadays (looking at you, Texas Board of deciding what goes in textbooks for the entire nation, even if your schools are not in Texas).

Yes, may have been a world event, but heavy U.S. contribution, and really a national defining event for the U.S.
  • SquidopusSquidopus Member Posts: 250 ★★★
    LOL dw I know that WWII was a thing, the education system hasn’t failed me that badly. I was just tunneled into looking for something specifically U.S. related like the other two were. I think with the lack of anything else blatantly obvious like the DoI or Constitution that WWII is a reasonable assumption at this point.
  • smdam38smdam38 Member Posts: 1,284 ★★★
    This is a really smart/cool find.
    They got some clever folk at Kabaam.
  • Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Member Posts: 3,172 ★★★★★

Real celebrations should be abolition of slavery, Abolition of apartheid and granting voting rights for everyone, but yeah.

Apartheid was South Africa and Rhodesia. America has had segregation, but not apartheid.
  • ThomildoThomildo Member Posts: 499 ★★★

“44 Magnum most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off”

Do you feel lucky?🍀
    edited August 17
    smdam38 said:

This is a really smart/cool find.
    They got some clever folk at Kabaam.

Lol for real. I seen some of this strategically placed cleverness throughout the game before. But it, and their humor, really stood out when they made Sandman and named his awakening ability "The Rude Sandstorm". I was laughing so hard 😂😂😂😂

"Sandstorm" is a song by a group called "Darude"....hence "The Rude Sandstorm"

The song is used by the South Carolina Gamecocks college football team in my home state of South Carolina. 😂😂😂 maaaan Kabam had me rolling on the floor.

Would be nice if someone from kabam weighed in on this.

Consider in the preview it shows how he has a hard time trusting the government, I think Barack Obama idea might have more merit than most would think. Remember during the TV show the original Patriot wasn't treat all that well by the former president due to race issues.
    And this wouldn't be far from the truth since comic book writers would often incorporate forms of actual history and social injustice in their stories.
  • XlebXleb Member Posts: 297
    Your resourcefulness is amazing
  • Bugmat78Bugmat78 Member Posts: 2,336 ★★★★★
    Buttehrs said:

Way to be one of those kinds of people. All dude did was find the relevance to his percentages and your over here fighting civil rights and what not.
    Many of the comic books and their characters we love were themed around actual real life social and/or civil rights issues & events at the time they were created eg

https://psychologytoday.com/us/blog/between-the-lines/201106/the-racial-politics-x-men

https://history.com/news/stan-lee-x-men-civil-rights-inspiration