**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.

5-Star Featured Crystal Change Discussion Thread

Comments

• Zeke_the_XbotZeke_the_Xbot Posts: 316 ★★
    Siliyo wrote: »
    Siliyo wrote: »

Oh great so Kabam decides to nerf the chances players have at getting Blade. You create a character as great as him yet you change the system to make it more difficult for players to get him. Good job Kabam. Nice work @Kabam Miike

You didn’t read at all did you? Blade’s solo featured crystal is coming back, and he’s being added to basic crystal the same month.... read before you post

It seems that you did not read either. Blade's solo featured seems to be worse. His new featured will NOT give him an increased chance at obtaining him. It was speculated that it's about a 20-25% chance to get a featured crystal. The NEW featured rate will be less than 5%. Can you tell me how that's better?

I do believe you don't read yet again they are rerunning the Blade Featured Crystal as normal which means it will be the old style Featured 5* Crystal for Blades rerun because they know players were saving for him.

"This change takes effect on February 13th, which is the day that Blade is added to the regular 5-Star Champion pool, but we also know that many of you are saving your 5-Star Crystal shards for a shot at Blade. Because we know how much time and effort you’ve all put into acquiring Shards for the return of Blade’s Featured Hero Crystal, we’ve decided to run his crystal one more time! It will return on its regularly scheduled date of February 22nd."
  • CuteshelfCuteshelf Posts: 747 ★★★
    Then reduce the cost of these crystals to 10k then. And give everyone the choice of what crystal they want.

You are already pushing everyone to buy GMCs, why make it harder to get what we want with, essentially an increased cost basic crystal?
  • ApacheApache Posts: 558 ★★
    first pillow hands now this
  • hurricanthurricant Posts: 515 ★★★
    edited January 2018
    Will there be a medusa crystal this thursday? Or is this change as of right now, meaning no new featured crystals as of this moment, until the new crystal, with the exception of a blade re-run?
  • TexanLife3TexanLife3 Posts: 4
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Raganator wrote: »
    I think Kabam will come to regret this decision if the goal is to continue having relevant 15k shard 5* crystals. 1 in 24 is garbage odds. Sure, better than 1 in 80-something, but still.

That depends. If you view the new crystal as *only* lowering the chance for a specific champion, then yes, the odds of pulling one specific champion have dropped from about one in five to one in twenty-four.

But that's not the correct way to view this crystal. Even with the current featured crystal, not every champion is really worth saving for, at least for any particular player. You have to think more generally. Right now, I'm saving for Blade because I really want Blade and the 5* featured Blade crystal gives me a 20% shot at getting Blade. But more importantly, that crystal gives me a 20% chance at a champion I think is worth the extra shards. The Iceman crystal also gave me that shot, and the Stark Spidey crystal gave me that shot.

You have to look at each and every one of the new 5* featured crystals that way. There are going to be six featureds and eighteen curated basics in each crystal. If the featured list was, say, Sparky, Vulture, Green Goblin, Doc Oc, Kingpin, and Medusa, that would be a pretty valuable crystal. Your odds of getting exactly the one you want are lower, but your odds of getting a good one are pretty decent - and that's before looking at the other eighteen. If the eighteen included, say, X-23, Elektra, Crossbones, Ghost Rider, and Ultron - all solid to great champions - your odds of getting at least a decent 5* could approach 50/50. That might be worth the extra shards.

Conversely, if the six featured happen to be a more depleted series and fewer of the curated basics are champs you want, you can skip that crystal and save for the next one. Just like with the current featured 5* crystal, it is not about the odds to pull one particular champion, it is the overall value of the crystal relative to the basic crystal. Depending on what Kabam puts in it and how you value those champions, that value could be lower, or it could be much higher.

Its different, and we lose one aspect of the current featured. But that doesn't mean the new one doesn't offer good options relative to the basic. It is just like even with the current featured, we have to see what's in it first.

By the time the Blade crystal rolls around I will probably have saved up eight shots at him. Statistically speaking, I'm very likely to get him. If I was shooting to dup him though, the odds are not good: about 29% chance of pulling two out of eight. Someone who opens eight of the new crystals will have about a 73% chance of duping one of the twenty-four champion in that crystal. If you pick the right crystal to shoot for, where a high percentage are champs you want, then duping a random champion in that crystal has a higher chance of being a valuable dup.

If you really one a specific champion, then your odds of getting that champion have dropped. But if you really just want a good one, or if you want to avoid pulling "bad" ones, your odds of doing that have likely significantly improved.

This is exactly how I'm viewing this. Could be good or could be bad based on the selected 18. But most likely a higher percentage chance overall to pull a usable champion that could help me more long term.
  • AcanthusAcanthus Posts: 447 ★★★
    tldr: buy more featured gmcs
  • Not explained well at all.
  • vd016vd016 Posts: 48
    Since there is no increased chance at any champion pls reduce the cost of the crystal.
  • OhGodYesOhGodYes Posts: 143
    The real question is, are the odds in the basic equal? Or will they be? In its current state they are not equal, that is why so many people consistently pull lower tiered heros from the basics over and over again. Please let us know.
  • EvilEmpireEvilEmpire Posts: 639 ★★★
    Since the only way to get new champs now is feature GMC and those are the definition of loot boxes when can we expect to see the odds for them ?
  • vd016vd016 Posts: 48
    Since there is no increased chance at any champion pls reduce the cost of the crystal.
  • Bbbpppsew1Bbbpppsew1 Posts: 2
    So just 1 hour prior to this I used 10k worth of shards on a (basic) crystal...thanks
  • vd016 wrote: »

We still do not have any more information on that at this time. Like we have said before, as soon as we have more information, we will share it with you all.
  • Batty_NumppoBatty_Numppo Posts: 285 ★★★
    So the new featured crystal is just a new version of the basic crystal that costs 5000 shards more?

What’s the point? The only way that the new featured crystal is better than the old one is if the old featured crystal had odds worse than 1 in 18 which is what the new one is. I’ve got to say I’m disappointed

The original Featured Hero Crystal had one purpose, and that was because it was originally the only chance you had at a 5-Star Champion, and potentially meant that the Champion would never come around again. This has changed, and that means that this Crystal has run its course.

5-Star Champions are coming to a place where they are now added to the regular Champion pool at the same consistency as other rarities.

But you’re just paying 5000 extra shards for a crystal that is very very similar to the basic 5* crystal. The lure of the 5* featured was that it was the best way to get a good unique 5* and it was a decent chance to get a specific champ, community estimates are 1 in 5. But with the new ones, there is no such lure, if you want a specific champ there’s 1 in 24 chance which is awful. As bad as the early 5* pool was.

I will reserve my final judgement until i see the 18 champs in the pool but until I do see them, I do not think I will buy one of the crystals at all.

The only way I will buy them is if the 18 in the pool are in the top tier of champions, but that wouldn’t make sense as then it’s not a featured crystal.

The point is you’re emphasizing a 1/24 chance at a specific champ. Obviously this crystal doesn’t emphasize specific champs, but it could emphasize good ones. Out of every 6 new champs released, surely half of them are desirable and rankworthy. Sometimes more when considering a consecutive string of champs like Blade/Mephisto/Morningstar/Medusa/KP. If you like any 3 of those, now you’re looking at 1/8 odds of a rankworthy champ.

That’s to say nothing of how well Kabam curated the lower 18 champs. If only two of those 18 are “godlike,” you’re right back to about 1/5 odds of a rankworthy champ per pull.

Like you said, I’m reserving judgment until I see the list in the first lower 18 to join the crystal, but I recognize that if Kabam picks champs generously, this has the potential to be much better than the current featured crystal. The key disadvantage to it isn’t about the drop rate of a good champ, but the drop rate of a good champ of a certain class that you may have an awakening gem for.
  • Batty_NumppoBatty_Numppo Posts: 285 ★★★
    So the new featured crystal is just a new version of the basic crystal that costs 5000 shards more?

What’s the point? The only way that the new featured crystal is better than the old one is if the old featured crystal had odds worse than 1 in 18 which is what the new one is. I’ve got to say I’m disappointed

The original Featured Hero Crystal had one purpose, and that was because it was originally the only chance you had at a 5-Star Champion, and potentially meant that the Champion would never come around again. This has changed, and that means that this Crystal has run its course.

5-Star Champions are coming to a place where they are now added to the regular Champion pool at the same consistency as other rarities.

But you’re just paying 5000 extra shards for a crystal that is very very similar to the basic 5* crystal. The lure of the 5* featured was that it was the best way to get a good unique 5* and it was a decent chance to get a specific champ, community estimates are 1 in 5. But with the new ones, there is no such lure, if you want a specific champ there’s 1 in 24 chance which is awful. As bad as the early 5* pool was.

I will reserve my final judgement until i see the 18 champs in the pool but until I do see them, I do not think I will buy one of the crystals at all.

The only way I will buy them is if the 18 in the pool are in the top tier of champions, but that wouldn’t make sense as then it’s not a featured crystal.

The point is you’re emphasizing a 1/24 chance at a specific champ. Obviously this crystal doesn’t emphasize specific champs, but it could emphasize good ones. Out of every 6 new champs released, surely half of them are desirable and rankworthy. Sometimes more when considering a consecutive string of champs like Blade/Mephisto/Morningstar/Medusa/KP. If you like any 3 of those, now you’re looking at 1/8 odds of a rankworthy champ.

That’s to say nothing of how well Kabam curated the lower 18 champs. If only two of those 18 are “godlike,” you’re right back to about 1/5 odds of a rankworthy champ per pull.

Like you said, I’m reserving judgment until I see the list in the first lower 18 to join the crystal, but I recognize that if Kabam picks champs generously, this has the potential to be much better than the current featured crystal. The key disadvantage to it isn’t about the drop rate of a good champ, but the drop rate of a good champ of a certain class that you may have an awakening gem for.

I posted this a little late. Took too long to type I guess.
  • SpiritOfVengeanceSpiritOfVengeance Posts: 2,353 ★★★★
    edited January 2018
    Seriously here I am backing this idea up and that is the pool you add. It looks so risky.