**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Discussion - clear out line should be available regarding “cheating “

Xthea9Xthea9 Posts: 829 ★★
As we know we have to deal with “cheaters “ now and then and we report them whenever we find some. In the forum we can’t talk about cheaters which is acceptable, but what are the outlines that we all should be aware of regarding “cheating “. There is No such guidelines available or if there is , I am not aware of like,
1. Is there any level of severity ?
2. What is the max Ban period or it varies?
3. Parameters that identify the severity
4. Should guilty account have all the achievements

I don’t know why there are gray area regarding “cheating “ and why there are no such guidelines listed in the forum.

I am not discussing anyone in person or particular regarding cheating so I assume I am not breaking any rules. But if I am please let me know what rule I have broken by posting this discussion.

Agenda - the rules and penalties should be clear and stated for everyone so that we all are aware of the potential threat if we cheat. No gray area all in black or white.

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,239 ★★★★★
    .....or just don't cheat.
  • There are no grey areas regarding cheating. Prohibited activities are pretty clearly spelled out and are pretty well known.

Punishment on the other hand is subject to discretion. That's true in most MMOs, as it is true in the real world most of the time as well.
    Even in a Court of Law, Sentencing is done at the discretion of the Judge, and can take circumstances into account. Unless you encounter a particularly anal retentive Judge who wants to make an example of someone.
  • zero7 wrote: »
    well there should be a clear line regarding punishment. issues of rules and consequences in this game are not as complicated as the real world.

If you really want to directly compare cheating in this game to the rules and laws of the real world, then technically speaking cheating in an online game is a real world offense. It is just as complicated as any other real world offense.
  • Xthea9Xthea9 Posts: 829 ★★
    Even in a Court of Law, Sentencing is done at the discretion of the Judge, and can take circumstances into account. Unless you encounter a particularly anal retentive Judge who wants to make an example of someone.

The point is to clearly mention the outlines of this cheating category. We all have assumptions but nothing concrete facts that we should consider. We can’t talk because of the privacy reasons I can take that point but why we don’t have such rules and penalties outlined till now. We don’t have enough information or something else ?
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    zero7 wrote: »
    well there should be a clear line regarding punishment. issues of rules and consequences in this game are not as complicated as the real world.

If you really want to directly compare cheating in this game to the rules and laws of the real world, then technically speaking cheating in an online game is a real world offense. It is just as complicated as any other real world offense.

No comparison, it’s just simple rules should have outlined for everyone and the punishment, we all know the types of cheats so it’s not hard to pin down a list and make some rules.
    Xthea9 wrote: »

The point is to clearly mention the outlines of this cheating category. We all have assumptions but nothing concrete facts that we should consider. We can’t talk because of the privacy reasons I can take that point but why we don’t have such rules and penalties outlined till now. We don’t have enough information or something else ?

The problem with that is you open people up to choose to break the rules based on the consequences they're willing to live with. It also varies based on transgression, which is why I said it's up to their discretion. The bottom line is any violation of TOS can lead to a ban, which is the ultimate form of punishment in this case. Unless there are some extenuating circumstances that lead them to pursue legal action. There is no such thing as a safe way to break the rules. If they see fit, they can ban you. Although we know that they treat cases on an individual basis. As I said before, the only certain security is to abide by the rules. Any other use of that information would be a violation regardless because it would inevitably be people disputing actions taken on other cases, which we've already seen, and quite frankly it's not our business.
  • MattScottMattScott Posts: 587 ★★
    Its super simple @Xthea9

Many things are cheating, including but not limited to account sharing. There is no grey area ALL cheating is cheating and prohibited. When cheating is caught, or admitted to, there will a permanent ban on the account.

Unless..... well i won’t say anymore so this thread tats open and doesn’t get deleted by mods.
    We get the point. You want him banned.
  • klobberintymeklobberintyme Posts: 1,425 ★★★★
    Xthea9 wrote: »
    As we know we have to deal with “cheaters “ now and then and we report them whenever we find some. In the forum we can’t talk about cheaters which is acceptable, but what are the outlines that we all should be aware of regarding “cheating “. There is No such guidelines available or if there is , I am not aware of like,
    1. Is there any level of severity ?
    2. What is the max Ban period or it varies?
    3. Parameters that identify the severity
    4. Should guilty account have all the achievements

I don’t know why there are gray area regarding “cheating “ and why there are no such guidelines listed in the forum.

I am not discussing anyone in person or particular regarding cheating so I assume I am not breaking any rules. But if I am please let me know what rule I have broken by posting this discussion.

Agenda - the rules and penalties should be clear and stated for everyone so that we all are aware of the potential threat if we cheat. No gray area all in black or white.

Fair points, good post.
  • MattScottMattScott Posts: 587 ★★

It’s like IRL when a celebrity commits a crime but walks. Meanwhile Joe Schmoe commits a lesser crime and then has to do time.
  • klobberintymeklobberintyme Posts: 1,425 ★★★★
    It's fair to ask for clarification of specific punishments other than the vagaries stated in the "on cheating" post, as anecdotal evidence is how most know about the week/month/perma-ban, and the main reason so many are calling foul on the perceived inequality in punishments between "famous" mcoc summoners and the rank and file jabronis yelling on reddit.
    I'm fully aware of where the question is stemming from. It's just that there is no "Transgression X=Punishment Y" that I'm aware of. Actions have, and will always be, up to their own discretion. It has to do with the situation surrounding the rule breaking, the nature of the effect, and any other circumstances, no doubt. There was action taken, and there was most likely some leeway based on the longstanding relationship they have and the level of honesty on the matter. There is a reason they don't discuss actions taken on Accounts, and it's probably to prevent situations like this from happening. I'm also aware of said Twitter comments, and that may be the perception or some kind of ego-based view, but all that translates to is someone who doesn't appreciate being afforded some forgiveness.
  • DNA3000 wrote: »
    zero7 wrote: »

Like Credit Card Fraud :wink:
  • MattScott wrote: »

It’s like IRL when a celebrity commits a crime but walks. Meanwhile Joe Schmoe commits a lesser crime and then has to do time.

No one has been banned for account sharing.

Not one player.

The reason they have been banned was mods. Or scripts. They won't own up to it or their friends won't.. But it's true. They actually used to remove players from arena ranks and remove the champions but how many times have you seen account sharing arena grinders in the top spot.. s.. tbh ..
    Guys, just remember, calling out names and pointing out to someone, it’s a rule , we all follow this and make sure that we don’t do such activity, if this is simple to understand then I think just mentioning few rules about cheating won’t hurt anyone. It will be clear that if you “cheat “ you will have xyz punishments. Like post will be deleted or closed if we break any forum rules. I have a feeling that rules and punishment about cheating will be much simpler then forum rules.
  • NastyEfnNateNastyEfnNate Posts: 551 ★★
    Ok we all know why this post was made. This person never got caught doing anything wrong. He made a bad decision and u all are trying to crucify him. He messed up and he told kabam. They acted accordingly. Yes he got a lessor charge just like anyone in the real world that messed up and went and told them they are the guilty one. Grow up. Move on. He has multiple accounts. Does giving him a 7 day ban change anything? How long will u guys cry foul? Kabam acted. They don’t have to tell you what happened. It’s none of your business. If u don’t like it you don’t have to play the game
    Ok we all know why this post was made. This person never got caught doing anything wrong. He made a bad decision and u all are trying to crucify him. He messed up and he told kabam. They acted accordingly. Yes he got a lessor charge just like anyone in the real world that messed up and went and told them they are the guilty one. Grow up. Move on. He has multiple accounts. Does giving him a 7 day ban change anything? How long will u guys cry foul? Kabam acted. They don’t have to tell you what happened. It’s none of your business. If u don’t like it you don’t have to play the game

Why people jump to the conclusions , and you are talking about a person which means you are breaking the rules . All this post is about rules and penalties. If I address you directly and calling you out , I will break the rule. All we have to understand is freedom of speech, which we use recklessly without thinking of the consequences. I try to practice to think before I speak and I have to learn a lot.
  • A this topic has already been addressed here. I am closing this thread.
This discussion has been closed.