**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Lack of the "classic" Featured 5 star crystal is demoralizing

The inability to EARN a reasonable shot at acquiring the newly released champions has significantly reduced my interest in playing the game. Am I alone in this?

I LOVED the challenge of grinding to acquire the 15K 5 star shards needed to have a 20%-ish chance at picking up the new champs. I used to grind for the 4 star champs just to get more 5 star shards. The Featured Blade crystal motivated me to make my first Labyrinth run so that I could have "just one more shot"! Even when I wasn't impressed with the currently released champs, I knew that it was worth the grind and that I'd have that many more chances to get an upcoming featured champ in a subsequent month, or to make a second attempt at a champ that I had missed on it's first featured run.

I was excited about the new champs every month because I had SOME chance to get them. 20% wasn't a sure thing, but it was reasonable. It's hard to be excited about Bishop, Sabertooth and the Sentinel when there is NO reasonable way to acquire those champs anytime soon. You'd have to spend HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS in arena to make top 150, or spend HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS on Grandmaster crystals, but there's no way to EARN them by playing the game. I couldn't care less about Proxima Midnight and Corvus for the same reason. I know I won't even have a shot at getting them for several more months, SO I DON'T CARE about the new champs at all right now.

Why am I still playing this game if not to update my roster with the new champs?

Comments

• DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    12345t6789 wrote: »
    The inability to EARN a reasonable shot at acquiring the newly released champions has significantly reduced my interest in playing the game. Am I alone in this?

You're certainly not alone, but unfortunately you also got used to a game environment that was just a temporary transition. Back when the original 5* featured crystal was released the availability of 5* shards was extremely low. Top players were only getting a 5* champion every couple of months, to maybe once a month at the very top. But when Kabam decided to increase the availability of 5* shards, they created a situation where that 20% shot at the featured became a dozen shots at the featured and a 90%+ chance at getting one specific champion. That was never intended.

The chance of getting one specific champion out of the new featured is actually similar to the chance of getting the featured in the original crystal, if you factor in the huge increase in shards and the much larger number of shots the average player (in range of getting significant 5* shards) is likely to get. The current featured 5* crystal is much worse in many ways to the original crystal, but the combination of more shards and lower odds crystal actually roughly balances out. Someone starting today is facing a similar or better situation regarding 5* champions than someone who was around when they were first introduced.

If you focus on the one bad part, and can't change your focus, then you won't enjoy the new situation. But to be honest, I'm fine with building my 5* roster at maybe seven times the rate I was originally. In the long run, I will end up with better and more 5* champions over time than the original situation. Comparing to the exact moment when they changed the crystal, when the shards were plentiful and you could spend them on a crystal balanced for a tiny fraction of that, is simply dwelling over a situation with zero chance of returning.
  • Feeney234Feeney234 Posts: 1,150 ★★★★
    Well.... ya know... kabam right?
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
    There is one huge thing in the OP that I agree with: I am not going to quit, but nothing frustrates me more than having such little input over my roster.

Believe me, I get it. Been here since the beginning. I understand why the game is shaped this way.

But man, is it frustrating. Sometimes, you just want a specific character because that is who you want to play with and invest in.

Again: I understand why the game is structured the way it is. But that doesn't mean that it isn't frustrating.

Truly believe that after a certain period of time -- maybe, what, 9 months after initial release -- any character should be available for purchase for a limited period of time, as a 3/4/5 star. Cash and unit offers. I truly believe that would not break the game
  • ESFESF Posts: 1,944 ★★★★★
    I just think that at some point, every player should have the opportunity to play the game how THEY want to play it. If you want to run three Magnetos, a Wolverine and a Cyclops, hey, go for it. More power to you.

I just honestly do not think it is a horrible thing for a player to be able to buy that Wolverine or Cyclops, if that's how they want to play and they don't have one or the other. I really don't. It's a game, you know?

This game is really fun, but it won't be around forever. Is it really so horrible for players to have more access to characters while the game is currently vibrant?

I just don't see the downside to players having the opportunity to shape their rosters to a larger degree than currently exists
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    ESF wrote: »
    I just think that at some point, every player should have the opportunity to play the game how THEY want to play it. If you want to run three Magnetos, a Wolverine and a Cyclops, hey, go for it. More power to you.

I just honestly do not think it is a horrible thing for a player to be able to buy that Wolverine or Cyclops, if that's how they want to play and they don't have one or the other. I really don't. It's a game, you know?

This game is really fun, but it won't be around forever. Is it really so horrible for players to have more access to characters while the game is currently vibrant?

I just don't see the downside to players having the opportunity to shape their rosters to a larger degree than currently exists

There's no intrinsic reason why that would be bad, but this game isn't structured that way. Without getting into game design process which I doubt anyone who wants to disagree would accept anyway, it would be fundamentally impossible to do that to this game with this implementation team under the current implementation protocols. MMOs, and games like this, simply aren't built to make that kind of radical change. Most critically for those who've seen how these games work under the hood, it would basically invalidate the progress curve foundations. It would be analogous to eliminating letter grades from a school. Its not impossible in the sense that there are schools that operate that way, but it fundamentally can't be done in a school that bases all of their coursework and teaching processes around those grades. You change that one thing, and you have to change a lot of things both obvious and not obvious. And you end up with something totally different in the end.

This very problem is almost certainly the root of why we don't have the old style featured crystals anymore, and why arguing to bring them back is asking for way more than the people asking think they are asking for, and why it is highly unlikely to ever happen.
  • LocoMotivesLocoMotives Posts: 1,200 ★★★
    Reasons and stuff above, but the old feature crystals were FUN. I loved popping those things, even when I’d miss. Opening 5* crystals is boring now. I’m in the same boat, no motivation to grind when I have no semblance of control on who I will get.
  • danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,044 ★★★★★
    pretty sure it was more demoralizing to miss 15-20 straight featured champs
  • JakearoundJakearound Posts: 410 ★★★
    I’ve been trying to pull a God tier 5* since 5* ‘s were released. It is very frustrating putting the time in for the certain champs just to never get them. I have decent 5* champs but no end game champs except for 4*’s but 4*’s are quickly becoming useless in the endgame content. Kabam keeps saying they don’t want the game to revolve around certain champs but the game still revolves around 5 to 7 “god tier” champs. All of which I have none.
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★
    I'm 0-14 on the featured crystals and have pulled most god-tier champs from the basic so it doesn't bother me lol.
  • 12345t678912345t6789 Posts: 17
    My point is NOT that you should be able to get any champ you want at any time, it is that you should have a REASONABLE CHANCE to acquire the champs that appeal to you, INCLUDING the newest champs.

If you want to get into game design theory, look no further than B.F. Skinner's variable ratio reward theory. He found that pigeons were most likely to press a lever when there was a 50% chance of receiving a reward–even more than when they received a reward every time. A variable ratio reward system means that players have a REASONABLE CHANCE of receiving a reward, which is what motivates them to want to play at all. I don't want every champ at my fingertips; because that would be too easy and not motivating. Likewise, a 4% chance to acquire the 5* champ that I want for a limited amount of time using resources that take me WEEKS to acquire via grinding is insufficient and equally unmotivating. And in the case of the newest champs like Sabertooth, Sentinel, Bishop, etc, there is ZERO chance to acquire them because they won't be available in a featured crystal at all for weeks to come.

And like I said, the featured 5 star system worked just fine for over a year, so it's not "breaking the game" to return to a system that has already proven to be successful for a very long time. 20% per 15k crystal was a reasonable and ENTERTAINING variable ratio reward.

Spenders are happy right now. I get that. Spending is up. That's great for KaBam. The variable ratio reward for spenders is working great....HOWEVER... grinders are the bulk of the player base and right now there is far less reason to grind. The variable ratio reward is far too low to motivate grinding for new champs, because there is an insufficient chance to acquire those new champs by grinding. (4% for "recent" new champs, and ZERO percent for the newest champs).

I'm not asking for the return of the old featured 5 star crystal (though it's removal is what created the problem). I'm saying that the variable ratio reward for acquiring new champs via grinding right now is insufficient and needs to be addressed, which can be accomplished in a variety of ways.

• The old featured was way better. Kabam nerfed it so you’d have less hands to get what you want so they can make more $$$ off of FGMC.

Whoever said it was a temporary transition due to the low amount of shards you were able to get well that’s wrong because we have the new featured system for 6* as well.

Also it didn’t give you a 90% chance to get a champ it gave a ~20% chance every attempt. How many attempts you had was irrelevant.

I’ve seen a lot of people say they were 0 for “x” and and they are glad there’s a change or don’t care that there’s a change, but you know this will decrease your odds of getting what you want yea??

Also, the other champs in this new featured 5* are all garbage. It’s very disappointing. Hope everyone is ready to spend big! $_$