**WE ARE NO LONGER Temporarily Reverting Tier 1 War Ban System**

After further discussion, the game team has made the decision not make adjustements to the ban system.
The previously proposed fix would have resolved the issue for Summoners who are on the cusp of T1/T2 play, and negatively impacted Alliances more securely in T1. Instead, we recommend that cusp Alliances switch to Manual Placement to your members to place the allotted 5 Ban Champions limit there.

Apologies for the back and forth, and for any confusion.
Options

New 19.0 update phone problems [Merged Threads]

1424345474887

Comments

  • Options
    BrandoniusBrandonius Posts: 292
    Reaper213 wrote: »
    Brandonius wrote: »
    (Sent this as a ticket to Kabam Support also)

    I realize this is a known issue but I want to ensure that Kabam is aware that I am having issues with your app overheating my phone. I have already replaced the battery twice in the last year and a half and I ONLY have issues when using MCOC.

    I am hoping Kabam resolves this sooner rather than later and would like to see them offer something better to myself and the rest of your suffering community than the insulting compensation from the other two recent outage.

    iPhone 6 64g
    iOS 11.4.1
    Telus Carrier
    Issues on both WiFi and cellular.

    Pretty sure the fact that you still use and iPhone 6 is the reason for overheating not MCOC :neutral:

    It is flawless for everything else. Why should I change my phone only for this game? I got a Samsung S7 on my last phone contract and switched back to the iPhone cuz the Samsung sucks. the only current benefit to the Samsung is that it does not heat up. 7 months left on my current contract means no new phone for 7 months.

  • Options
    Vossler77Vossler77 Posts: 683 ★★
    Reaper213 wrote: »
    Brandonius wrote: »
    (Sent this as a ticket to Kabam Support also)

    I realize this is a known issue but I want to ensure that Kabam is aware that I am having issues with your app overheating my phone. I have already replaced the battery twice in the last year and a half and I ONLY have issues when using MCOC.

    I am hoping Kabam resolves this sooner rather than later and would like to see them offer something better to myself and the rest of your suffering community than the insulting compensation from the other two recent outage.

    iPhone 6 64g
    iOS 11.4.1
    Telus Carrier
    Issues on both WiFi and cellular.

    Pretty sure the fact that you still use and iPhone 6 is the reason for overheating not MCOC :neutral:

    What makes you say this genius??
  • Options
    Captain_KandiceCaptain_Kandice Posts: 222 ★★
    I’m not going to risk my phone to play the game, since I doubt Kabam will be covering the cost of a new one if the app burns out my old one. I uninstalled the game Thursday and since a fix doesn’t seem to be coming anytime soon, I had my alliance kick me today. I’ve been a part of that alliance for 3 years now, but I won’t hold them back because of this.

    So now I’m going to miss alliance rewards and when I get back into the alliance I’ll have a blackout period too.

    I know Kabam has said this is a priority but it doesn’t feel like an urgent one or one they are taking as seriously as they should.

    Since I haven’t posted my phone info here yet since it’s just a repeat of what most have put but;

    iPhone 7
    11.4
    WiFi
  • Options
    DiscountjohnnyDiscountjohnny Posts: 17
    Stepped out of a 3 yr alliance also today. So sad its come to this. To bad they are to rude to suspend aw and aq until fixed.
  • Options
    EscoutsEscouts Posts: 428
    Any updates? I can’t play arenas. This is costing kabam money if I can’t play.
  • Options
    adknight27adknight27 Posts: 45
    I thought I was crazy or it really was just my phone but ALL these problems people are describing are affecting me too.
  • Options
    ArchlingArchling Posts: 2
    OS - 11.4
    Device - iPhone 7
    Carrier - T-mobile (i'm from The Netherlands)
    Wifi

    It started right after the v19 update, before that everything was working fine for me. My phone starts overheating and eventually the screen turns black and a spinning wheel appears and sends me back to the lock screen. It happens during arena, regular quest, AQ and AW. So literally everything.
    It also affects the device itself, the buttons don't work even if i try to shut it down. The only way for my phone to work again is to reboot it (what i mean by that: pressing the power button and volume down button at the same time). Other apps such as Line won't respond and crash as well. My phone works fine after i let it cool down.
  • Options
    ElizajacyElizajacy Posts: 1
    The update is killing my phone, draining my battery. Can’t play longer than a few minutes before needing to log out. Hurting questing, can’t gring arena. It’s ridiculous. This needs fixing. Truthfully they need to compensate in some way.
  • Options
    IrishReaverIrishReaver Posts: 27
    Ditto.

    Using an iPhone 6 with the latest update. Overheating, etc. just once, haven’t used since.

    My iPad Air 2 has none of these issues.

    All of these current just seem....unacceptable. Especially when they manifest them selves physically within devices.

    Game should have been shut down with regard to the care of the player base until a resolution is determined. Just not worth it.
  • Options
    BauuaduBauuadu Posts: 4
    I have the same problem its so hard to do anything can just use my daliy energy then i have to leave
    I tryed my ipad and same thing
    I cant play this game anymore i dont want to break my phone
    I have iphone 7 with the latest update
  • Options
    IrishReaverIrishReaver Posts: 27
    Current issues*
  • Options
    Kaizen_KingKaizen_King Posts: 306 ★★★
    I have my iPad Pro on 12.0 beta 2 and while the battery drain and heat issues have gone away I’m still getting dropped inputs when fighting highly aggressive AI’s like the Uncollected Monthy bosses on each of the maps... I know it’s the aggressive AI’s because I have ZERO issues leading up to the boss and then all the sudden on the boss fight I backswipe or block (to parry) or hit special button and NOTHING happens. This issue’s been going on for a very long time of course.
  • Options
    RocapRocap Posts: 222
    While Apple (or specifically IOS 11.4) may have a battery drain issue, it's not specifically the operating system that's causing it. It's the operating system that's enabling apps to drain the battery so fast. This feels similar to what happened with the exploding Samsung Notes a few years ago.

    My phone has been heating up, and I've force restarted it more in the last few days than I have ever force restarted any phone since 2000. The battery is down to 56% efficiency (go to settings > battery to check this) and the back of my phone has started swelling up. I've made sure not to play for more than 15 minutes at a time (while my brightness stays on lowest setting) and not to play while it's charging. Yet at a full battery it drops to 20% within 30 minutes, after closing the app 3 times to make sure it doesn't heat up too much. MCOC is the cause of this issue, whether Apple is enabling the issue or not is irrelevant. The game shouldn't be capable of turning my phone into a bomb, that's irresponsible and it's extremely unprofessional to suggest this is Apple's fault like you did when the Google servers went down.

    I don't know what the compensation would look like to stop people from looking for and signing onto a class action lawsuit when it starts, but you have a chance to get ahead of this because even if it's fixed in the next week it's already done irreparable damage to a very, very, large number of devices. Stop throwing your hands up and people will stop trying to throw things at you.

    iPhone 7 Plus
    WiFi or Cellular
    11.4 IOS
  • Options
    ThespusThespus Posts: 45
    iOS 11.4
    iPhone se
    Verizon
    Mediacom

    Phone battery wears down faster than normal, device gets hot, and game crashes after about 30 minutes of play.
  • Options
    tonyj007tonyj007 Posts: 276
    Rocap wrote: »
    While Apple (or specifically IOS 11.4) may have a battery drain issue, it's not specifically the operating system that's causing it. It's the operating system that's enabling apps to drain the battery so fast. This feels similar to what happened with the exploding Samsung Notes a few years ago.

    My phone has been heating up, and I've force restarted it more in the last few days than I have ever force restarted any phone since 2000. The battery is down to 56% efficiency (go to settings > battery to check this) and the back of my phone has started swelling up. I've made sure not to play for more than 15 minutes at a time (while my brightness stays on lowest setting) and not to play while it's charging. Yet at a full battery it drops to 20% within 30 minutes, after closing the app 3 times to make sure it doesn't heat up too much. MCOC is the cause of this issue, whether Apple is enabling the issue or not is irrelevant. The game shouldn't be capable of turning my phone into a bomb, that's irresponsible and it's extremely unprofessional to suggest this is Apple's fault like you did when the Google servers went down.

    I don't know what the compensation would look like to stop people from looking for and signing onto a class action lawsuit when it starts, but you have a chance to get ahead of this because even if it's fixed in the next week it's already done irreparable damage to a very, very, large number of devices. Stop throwing your hands up and people will stop trying to throw things at you.

    iPhone 7 Plus
    WiFi or Cellular
    11.4 IOS

    If a device shuts down its a warning that something is wrong. It might not boot up, You just don't know. How many times must a device shut down before it fails to restart. Over heating on any electronics devices cannot be good

    I really do suggest you only play for 10 or 15 minutes. power Off ,

    Check to see if it is devices is hot. restart if cool or warm.

    Keep phone on, but wait until phone is cold before you return to game

    I normally check after 3 fights to see how hot or warm the phone is

    Got to be Safe

    Play at your own risk, your device is in jeopardy.
  • Options
    RocapRocap Posts: 222
  • Options
    DaMunkDaMunk Posts: 1,883 ★★★★
    iOS Beta isn't a guarantee just so people know. It might help but do so at your own risk because you can't go backwards. I haven't tried but a teammate did and it barely did anything. Not worth the effort in my opinion but if it works for you great.
  • Options
    D_Ace_71D_Ace_71 Posts: 148
    Rocap wrote: »

    This has been shown to diminish the impact for some, not all. Plus a beta OS is not a sustainable solution. It should not be considered a primary solution.
  • Options
    Vossler77Vossler77 Posts: 683 ★★
    Rocap wrote: »

    Its not fixing the issue at all
  • Options
    KougatoKougato Posts: 1
    Having the same issue on my iPad. Also running iOS 11.4
    I phone 7
  • Options
    FlappppFlapppp Posts: 5
    I completely agree with suing. I threw a lot of hard earned money at expensive devices and at kabam for their poorly valued deals (my decision I know) and I have come to terms with kabam’s ethical compass but just know I will gladly spend a LOT MORE money on my legal team should any of my devices receive irreparable damage to their irresponsible “update” or so they called it. 😊

    P.s. In my line of work acting irresponsible in that manner can and would kill someone. Forgive me for expecting the same professionalism I assume when I walk into work.
  • Options
    WiMakWiMak Posts: 359 ★★
    Also, the reason I didn’t go further is because my phone was so hot at that point I needed to shut it down. I am curious what it would look like to continue but I’m not going to do that
  • Options
    MY PHONE IS GOING TO EXPLODE
  • Options
    D_Ace_71D_Ace_71 Posts: 148
    WiMak wrote: »
    Also, the reason I didn’t go further is because my phone was so hot at that point I needed to shut it down. I am curious what it would look like to continue but I’m not going to do that

    Thank you for working on this!
  • Options
    AngelicsignAngelicsign Posts: 391 ★★
    WiMak wrote: »
    Ran some tests all morning using system status pro app. This is by no means definitive. I am no expert. I consider myself above average when it comes to computers and tech but that’s kind of a low bar LOL
    Take this data for what it is. Tried to make it as fair as possible. No other apps running in the background. Time for phone to cool down between scenarios. Found a list that considered these “Graphic intensive“

    The only reason there is prolonged use snapshots for MCOC is obvious; All other games had the same stats no matter how long they were played…
    eg97gkavm7oq.jpeg
    nif53on1uoe4.jpeg
    42bm6zjl82ws.jpeg
    tkhnrtwwi2ne.jpeg
    c71ywdcm1rba.jpeg
    ehtmazu41bpo.jpeg
    8o422ifv0bib.jpeg
    o3v8oxzv5kwi.jpeg
    dm8xq5qhjxkh.jpeg


    I told them.... there is a memory leaks! And this proof it.

    Thanks for your effort.
  • Options
    Vossler77Vossler77 Posts: 683 ★★
    WiMak wrote: »
    Also, the reason I didn’t go further is because my phone was so hot at that point I needed to shut it down. I am curious what it would look like to continue but I’m not going to do that

    Nice job tho.
  • Options
    RasiloverRasilover Posts: 1,469 ★★★★
    Device: Ipod touch 6
    OS 12.0
    Noticing much longer load times and longer time for applications to appear since updating the OS
    Overall laggy fights and slowed/ dropped frame rates

This discussion has been closed.