**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

should we be able to 'BLOCK' people on FORUMS??

2»

Comments

• Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,248 ★★★★★
    I_am_Groot wrote: »
    They censor the content based on the rules we all adhere to by using the Forum. There are rules to the Forum. Rules we agree to.
    Censorship definition don't discriminate whether or not were rules and/or whether or not someone was agree.

Censorship just implies inhibit people from speaking freely whatever was the reason stated, as yourself then admit just one oration later.
    Censorship implies inhibiting people from speaking freely.
    So even rules are censorship, technically inhibiting people for speaking freely.
    Moderation is not Censorship in that sense.
    Just because you want use different sticks.
    Whatever.

It's the last thing I'll write about this topic, because sadly I'm working with you derailing this thread.

My suggestion I think was very clear and it's not a human genocide, despite some people want to play the freedom knight role.
    People everyday can and do block another people in Twitter/Facebook and that people cannot post again in anything of that person and nobody of us is "wording a strong freedom fatwa for the universal human right bs" neither overreacting anything.

My suggestion could have been a good tool to keep the forum clean and discussions contructives.
    But I'll let the thread to the real suggestion now.
    This post is NOT about preventing anyone from commenting,...
    It's about blocking someone's comment, from being SEEN by the individual person,
    who has blocked them.
    Sorry guy, that is the real topic.

Blocking someone's comments from your sight is not the same as stopping them from participating in a Thread. When you post in an Open Forum, it's for everyone. Not "Everyone except X, Y, and Z.". Has nothing to do with Human Rights. Has to do with the rights of participation in the Forum. When you put it out there, it's for everyone. If you feel the need to ignore someone, that would be your prerogative if the feature was available. You can't stop them from commenting on a Thread. It's not a personal Facebook Profile. It's not a Closed Discussion. It's an Open Forum.
  • Options
    Ya know GW, I didnt notice till now, but u have spent a lot of time formulating & typing comments & attempting to moderate this post.... for someone who doesnt even have a dog in the race. (U never voted)

It's not a requirement to vote to participate. Nor am I moderating. I'm participating. I'm indifferent. There are only two options. Doesn't bother me if people can Block. :)
  • Options
    username92847username92847 Posts: 292
    YES
    Again, just so this post doesnt get shut down for getting derailed.....

This post is NOT about preventing anyone from commenting,

It's about blocking someone's comment, from being SEEN by the individual person,
    who has blocked them.

(Hopefully, the end result is less conflict & more progressive conversation)

• Options
    Again, just so this post doesnt get shut down for getting derailed.....

This post is NOT about preventing anyone from commenting,

who has blocked them.

(Hopefully, the end result is less conflict & more progressive conversation)
    I was discussing it because it came up. Conversations usually don't derail a Thread. Just when things get personal and people start coming for each other. The issue has come up before, and I'm personally not opposed to the idea. It's just not my decision to make. What concerns me is when people suggest stopping people from participating. That's not cool.
    The other Forum had the ability. Not sure if this one does. They may have reasons for not having it. That I don't know. Wouldn't bother me either way. That's why I didn't vote. The other business about displaying the metrics and inhibiting people I have no time for. Lol.
  • Options
    Dezz_1 wrote: »
    wow over 2,000 posts. you've been busy

Literally worth nothing.
  • Options
    HulksmasshhHulksmasshh Posts: 742 ★★★
    YES
    It seems the ones who are against this the most are the ones in fear of having their avenue of being anonymously annoying to internet strangers taken away. It's clear what the majority of the community thinks based on the votes. Unfortunately most likely nothing will come out of it.

And to be clear, we are not talking about censorship here. We are talking about giving a person the right the ignore another user for any given reason. In any social media platform, there is a block function. In the old forums, there was a block function. In reddit, there is a block function. In cellphones, there is a block function. Why is this forum the only platform today without a block function?
  • Options
    It seems the ones who are against this the most are the ones in fear of having their avenue of being anonymously annoying to internet strangers taken away. It's clear what the majority of the community thinks based on the votes. Unfortunately most likely nothing will come out of it.

And to be clear, we are not talking about censorship here. We are talking about giving a person the right the ignore another user for any given reason. In any social media platform, there is a block function. In the old forums, there was a block function. In reddit, there is a block function. In cellphones, there is a block function. Why is this forum the only platform today without a block function?

See, here's the fundamental problem with your theory. You assume that people are intentionally causing a disturbance when they could just be participating in a conversation, and they've been labeled Trolls so long that people become ignorant to anything they say. It happens.
    The Block Function was not the debate. The debate was displaying the number of Blocks people have on them, and having the ability to Block others from a Thread. Also, this is not Reddit. Reddit is not an example of diplomatic conversation.
  • Options
    HulksmasshhHulksmasshh Posts: 742 ★★★
    YES

See, here's the fundamental problem with your theory. You assume that people are intentionally causing a disturbance when they could just be participating in a conversation, and they've been labeled Trolls so long that people become ignorant to anything they say. It happens.
    The Block Function was not the debate. The debate was displaying the number of Blocks people have on them, and having the ability to Block others from a Thread. Also, this is not Reddit. Reddit is not an example of diplomatic conversation.

We are not talking about labeling trolls (at least I am not) or talking about showing the number of blocks someone has on them (that idea was shot down quickly). We are talking about giving a person the right to ignore another user for any given reason. The debate topic is literally the title of the thread: "Should we be Able to Block People on Forums?" About every form of digital communication today has some sort of user discretion block feature except this forum lol
  • Options
    edited August 2017

We are not talking about labeling trolls (at least I am not) or talking about showing the number of blocks someone has on them (that idea was shot down quickly). We are talking about giving a person the right to ignore another user for any given reason. The debate topic is literally the title of the thread: "Should we be Able to Block People on Forums?" About every form of digital communication today has some sort of user discretion block feature except this forum lol

It expanded. Hence the debate. Which is what prompted me to chime in. Actually the term Trolls was literally in the Poll, so yes it pertains.
    Again, I have no idea whether it doesn't exist for a reason or not. I do know that the Flag System has been commented on as being visible so they can distinguish who is and is not abusing it. It may have some connection, but that's speculation on my part. I really don't have an opposition to it, but as I said, they may have their reasons.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    YES
    Wow!!!... GW, looking back, ....
    you are every other comment on this post.... & you didnt even vote.

Any chance you can humor me, for this post & pick a side ?
    Left twix or right twix ?
    Maybe prove to the rest of these ppl, that you ARENT representing the ppl that this post is really about.
    (NO, i repeat, NO need to reply,... just vote)
  • Options
    Draco2199Draco2199 Posts: 803 ★★★
    YES
    As a person that was harassed on the forums I would agree a block function should be allowed. No one should be forced to be abused and should have the option to block a person if they feel they are crossing a line.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    YES
    ^^ i have also felt harrassed (part of the reason behind posting) & I'd feel more comfortable visiting forums, if i knew i didnt have to be subjected to negative ppl, whose agenda solely seems to be derailing, trolling, or causing conflict.
  • Options
    Wow!!!... GW, looking back, ....
    you are every other comment on this post.... & you didnt even vote.

Any chance you can humor me, for this post & pick a side ?
    Left twix or right twix ?
    Maybe prove to the rest of these ppl, that you ARENT representing the ppl that this post is really about.
    (NO, i repeat, NO need to reply,... just vote)

I already stated I'm indifferent. You only gave two options. Yes and No. If there was an in-between I would have selected that. It doesn't matter to me either way. I'm not pushing for it, but I'm not agaisnt it either.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    ^^ i have also felt harrassed (part of the reason behind posting) & I'd feel more comfortable visiting forums, if i knew i didnt have to be subjected to negative ppl, whose agenda solely seems to be derailing, trolling, or causing conflict.

Might want to point our that calling people "Trolls, antagonists, noobs, know-it-alls", and the rest of the paragraph in your Poll, is exactly what you are claiming to be subjected to.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    YES
    Negative.
    Its well known those types exist & no individual claims were made that this person or that person, is any kinda labeled thing...

But ppl read for themselves & judge accordingly, all the time.

No one can control that.
    Except the person, whose comments are being judged.
  • Options
    This IS an Open Forum. One that has rules. Those rules state that people need to refrain from personal attacks and labeling others. If you're looking for a justification for that based on popular opinion, you will come up short.
  • Options
    OKAYGangOKAYGang Posts: 524 ★★★
    YES
    You can do it in the in game chat rooms, why not on the Forums? Good idea.
  • Options
    CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    Take a queue from Lloyd he knows how to cope with things he doesn't want to listen to.
    lalalala.gif
  • Options
    OKAYGangOKAYGang Posts: 524 ★★★
    edited August 2017
    YES
    This IS an Open Forum. One that has rules. Those rules state that people need to refrain from personal attacks and labeling others. If you're looking for a justification for that based on popular opinion, you will come up short.

I don't think the OP is personally attacking anybody. I took it as having the ability to tune people out if they annoy you much the same way you can block people in Global chat in the game. If I were to block you (hypothetically, of course) you would still be able to interact with mods and everyone else. I just wouldn't see your comments. That said, I probably wouldn't block you if it were an option so this is just an example. I have actually come to enjoy most of our intetactions lately and on rare occaisions you have even have managed to make me question my own views on some topics. You do occaisionally irk me with some of your many, many comments but not enough to block you. I honestly think this is a very good idea by the OP. It would certainly be more useful than the "flag" feature that does nothing and that everyone just abuses lately.
  • Options
    There are rules to participating in a Public Forum. There are also rules to the In-Game Chat. If someone is being harassed, they have the means of dealing with it. It's not a free-for-all slander fest where people can fight amongst themselves.
    OKAYGang wrote: »

I don't think the OP is personally attacking anybody. I took it as having the ability to tune people out if they annoy you much the same way you can block people in Global chat in the game. If I were to block you (hypothetically, of course) you would still be able to interact with mods and everyone else. I just wouldn't see your comments. That said, I probably wouldn't block you if it were an option so this is just an example. I have actually come to enjoy most of our intetactions lately and on rare occaisions you have even have managed to make me question my own views on some topics. You do occaisionally irk me with some of your many, many comments but not enough to block you. I honestly think this is a very good idea by the OP. It would certainly be more useful than the "flag" feature that does nothing and that everyone just abuses lately.

The issue of Blocking is not what I was pointing out. The OP indicated that they were subjected to inappropriate responses, in whatever fashion. I was pointing out the fact that the Poll is inappropriate in and of itself because it encourages people to regard others as Trolls and know-it-alls. It's not constructive. It's actually the opposite. Frankly, this is not a place to label others and put them down. Even if the perception is "calling someone out", or "calling it as it is'. Blocking someone is fine. It's not the place to put people down. It's not the place to call anyone out. In fact, there are rules preventing that. I was pointing out the fact that someone who claims to be harassed simply because people they don't like participate in the Forum, is really not all that removed from contributing. There are many people we won't like. That doesn't give us the right to encourage others to hate on them by labeling them. Had the Post been simply asking if we should have Blocking Features, that would be different. Calling people Trolls, know-it-alls, and saying they won't shut up despite being told, displays a different intention.
This discussion has been closed.