**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Frequently Asked Questions about Combat and Combat mechanics

Comments

• DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    Edeuink said:

Maybe you should add these things.
    1. Passive stun on debuff immune vs. Passive stun on stun immune
    2. Why isn’t x champion immune to y effect?
    3. Why does a spider verse champion evade my venom?
    4. Why doesn’t x champion who has energy attacks heal from psychic thorns?

The first one is implicitly addressed in the FAQ: "Note that when a champion is immune to Debuffs, they are not immune to Passive Effects, as Passive Effects are not Debuffs by definition. Therefore, Passive Effects that cause damage or other harmful effects can affect a champion that is currently immune to Debuffs."

The other three aren't mechanics questions per se. Maybe #4 a little: I'll think about a way to address that one. But the others would be something worth adding to a different FAQ that focused on non-mechanical questions. I eliminated a lot of questions like that from contention from the original FAQ as it was getting very long. I might loop back to those kinds of questions at some point though.
  • ChampkillerBatmanChampkillerBatman Posts: 150
    I have a question... been playing for 3 years and still dont know the proper tapping or swipping technique for fights. Example spider monkey it says that if i end combo with mid i get the effect of s2 on enemy but i try and try and nope i have to wait to get to s2 but at random i end up getting the mid with the effect.

So in all is there a tap or motion for doing a mid attack?
    Sorry if it aint clear or its a straight dumb A question.
  • SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 10,605 Guardian
    Medium Attack is a Swipe Attack.
    Light Attacks are just Taps.
    (and Heavy Attack is a Press-n-Hold-n-Release)

So ending a Combo with a Med would be like doing a Combo of MLLLM, or also any lower number of Light in between the 2 Med.
    So Swipe-Tap-Tap-Tap-Swipe.

FYI, combos can also start with a Light. And they will always end upon doing either a 4th Light (ie, MLLLL or even LLMLL), or doing a 2nd Medium (MLLLM, or even LMLM). Ending with one of those means you can immediately start a new Combo.
    Or if you do a lesser amount of hits (no 4th L or 2nd M), then you have to pause a little bit before starting up a new combo.

I have a question... been playing for 3 years and still dont know the proper tapping or swipping technique for fights. Example spider monkey it says that if i end combo with mid i get the effect of s2 on enemy but i try and try and nope i have to wait to get to s2 but at random i end up getting the mid with the effect.

So in all is there a tap or motion for doing a mid attack?
    Sorry if it aint clear or its a straight dumb A question.

@SummonerNR 's explanation of how combo mechanics works is correct. But to address the specific situation you're referring to, are you referring to Stealth Suit Spiderman? He has an ability where if you land a fourth light attack during a combo you trigger his web shooter debuffs that also trigger if you use a special 2 attack. Is that the specific situation you're talking about, or are you talking about another situation I can't think of off the top of my head? Because if that's the situation you're talking about, it is a light attack that triggers the debuff, not a medium attack (which I'm guessing is what you're referring to as a "mid"). But I might be getting confused on your terminology (or this is a translation issue from another language).
  • FireburstFireburst Posts: 4
    Hey! I'm pretty new here
    I've had experience with Kabam's other game Transformers: Forged to Fight (maybe a little less than a lot)
    So is everything almost the same and will reading the above info be enough or are there more things?
    Please, any advice would be nice!
    Thank you!
  • Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★
    Fireburst said:

Hey! I'm pretty new here
    I've had experience with Kabam's other game Transformers: Forged to Fight (maybe a little less than a lot)
    So is everything almost the same and will reading the above info be enough or are there more things?
    Please, any advice would be nice!
    Thank you!

Not much difference bro
  • BerjibsBerjibs Posts: 1,523 ★★★★
    Edeuink said:

If the klyntar buff gets nullified through nodes for eg they can evade, maybe that was it. Happened to me before on a Spider-Man in act 5 somewhere I think.
  • Symbiot supreme has a synergy with all symbiotes that increases their bleed duration, one of the symbiotes is spiderman (symbiote).
    Spiderman symbiote can't bleed his opponent, so why does he have a synergy that extends his non-existing bleeds?
  • HI_guys said:

Symbiot supreme has a synergy with all symbiotes that increases their bleed duration, one of the symbiotes is spiderman (symbiote).
    Spiderman symbiote can't bleed his opponent, so why does he have a synergy that extends his non-existing bleeds?

It's for the other symbiotes like VTD and SS
    Still, why is he in a synergy that doesn't give him any advantage. Or is he just there to activate the synergy for symbiote supreme?
  • HI_guys said:

Symbiot supreme has a synergy with all symbiotes that increases their bleed duration, one of the symbiotes is spiderman (symbiote).

It's for the other symbiotes like VTD and SS
    Still, why is he in a synergy that doesn't give him any advantage. Or is he just there to activate the synergy for symbiote supreme?
    Probably something like that. The synergy was probably designed conceptually first, and there was no reason to exclude Symbiote Spiderman from it, even though he doesn't have intrinsic bleed ability. Or to put it another way, removing him from the synergy has no benefit either, it simply removes a benefit from Symbiote Supreme.
    @DNA3000 do you know anything about how the parry mastery mechanics work for a defender in war, ie for a champion you are fighting against?

• Fred_JoeityFred_Joeity Posts: 1,168 ★★★
    Berjibs said:

@DNA3000 do you know anything about how the parry mastery mechanics work for a defender in war, ie for a champion you are fighting against?

Defenders in AW will have whatever masteries their summoner has. So if you have parry and place a King Groot in AW defence, anybody who fights your KG will have to deal with parry.

Berjibs said:

Defenders in AW will have whatever masteries their summoner has. So if you have parry and place a King Groot in AW defence, anybody who fights your KG will have to deal with parry.
    Cheers, I understand that it was more what triggers it and what you can do to avoid it. Obviously when stunned they will not parry you and they also shouldn’t be able to parry a heavy attack?

I can go wars at a time and not encounter it and then today I got parried 4 times in the boss fight punishing/countering heavies and specials.

I’m assuming here every champ you are fighting is gonna have the parry mastery.

Other weird thing going back to my first paragraph was today the second hit of my heavy got parried (the first didn’t connect due to spacing) I find this really odd as a heavy should break block and therefore not trigger?

FWIW I’m fighting as omega vs korg stun immune.

• SeraphionSeraphion Posts: 1,496 ★★★★
    Terra said:

Im curious about a specific champion v champion question. Nightcrawler (afaik) inflicts a invisible bleed on opponent, and I've noticed this works against Thing to keep rockstacks down, Im curious if this can work on debuff immune however.

I think you just need to find a champ somewhere with debuff
    Berjibs said:

Berjibs said:

Cheers, I understand that it was more what triggers it and what you can do to avoid it. Obviously when stunned they will not parry you and they also shouldn’t be able to parry a heavy attack?

I can go wars at a time and not encounter it and then today I got parried 4 times in the boss fight punishing/countering heavies and specials.

Other weird thing going back to my first paragraph was today the second hit of my heavy got parried (the first didn’t connect due to spacing) I find this really odd as a heavy should break block and therefore not trigger?

Heavys can be parried if the defender runs "stand your ground" mastery. You are very unlucky when that happens to you tho
    Seraphion said:

Terra said:

Im curious about a specific champion v champion question. Nightcrawler (afaik) inflicts a invisible bleed on opponent, and I've noticed this works against Thing to keep rockstacks down, Im curious if this can work on debuff immune however.

Berjibs said:

Berjibs said:

Heavys can be parried if the defender runs "stand your ground" mastery. You are very unlucky when that happens to you tho

Cheers man I’ve never run it so didn’t think of that.

So how can you avoid it 100% then on a stun immune? 🤷🏽‍♂️😂

• Berjibs said:

Seraphion said:

Terra said:

Berjibs said:

Berjibs said:

Cheers man I’ve never run it so didn’t think of that.

So how can you avoid it 100% then on a stun immune? 🤷🏽‍♂️😂

Nothing is foolproof. If someone decides to go nuts on the Stand Your Ground mastery they can get I think up to 50% resistance to block breaks, which means half your heavy attacks won't break through block. If I think that mastery is in play, I'm not going to risk trying a close-in heavy on Korg. I'd just stand there and let spores build up, and hope the AI stops turtling (and I'm fast enough to react when he does).
  • GardenerGardener Posts: 1,601 ★★★
    just gotta say amazing list, if i want to check atk. i'll come right here
  • Denslo500Denslo500 Posts: 903 ★★★
    @DNA3000 can you get Kabam to add some more search terms for this thread?
    I tried to search for Critical Hit info a few weeks ago and this did not show up.
    (You were kind enough to tell me in my thread)
  • Denslo500 said:

@DNA3000 can you get Kabam to add some more search terms for this thread?
    I tried to search for Critical Hit info a few weeks ago and this did not show up.
    (You were kind enough to tell me in my thread)

If you search for critical hit you're going to get the phone book. You should search for "critical hit" (with the quotes) to narrow it down, and if you search for "critical hit" FAQ then this thread pops up.

• TerraTerra Posts: 7,995 ★★★★★
    I recently picked up Red Guardian in 5* rarity, and was skimming through his synergies. His synergy with Omega Red (Enhanced With Carbonadium) makes him take 50% less damage from incoming attacks while at max shield durability. Does this stack with the sp3 protection bar that all 5*s have? Potentially allowing him to get 70% reduction or how is that math decided?
    Terra said:

I recently picked up Red Guardian in 5* rarity, and was skimming through his synergies. His synergy with Omega Red (Enhanced With Carbonadium) makes him take 50% less damage from incoming attacks while at max shield durability. Does this stack with the sp3 protection bar that all 5*s have? Potentially allowing him to get 70% reduction or how is that math decided?

I believe, but haven't explicitly tested, that the 5* SP3 defense is independent of other calculations. In other words, whatever damage you would have taken after all game mechanics are calculated is at the end reduced by the damage reduction of that special ability. This is not an easy thing to test directly, but if I think of a way to do it I'll try to remember to look at it carefully.
  • AroseinbloomAroseinbloom Posts: 30
    Berjibs said:

Edeuink said:

If the klyntar buff gets nullified through nodes for eg they can evade, maybe that was it. Happened to me before on a Spider-Man in act 5 somewhere I think.
    @Berjibs, yeah, it was in the buffet quest, in 5.1, same thing happened to me against a spider gwen. Apparently, the buffet timer activates the exact same time as the klyntar mutation buff which gives venom the ability to ignore spider verse evade.
  • magnus_xixmagnus_xix Posts: 2,020 ★★★★★
    Is perfect block chance subject to AAR?

Is perfect block chance subject to AAR?

I haven't specifically tested this directly, but I do not believe perfect block is considered an ability, and thus isn't directly affected by ability accuracy buffs or debuffs. Abilities that themselves affect perfect block chance might be subject to AAR but I don't think perfect block itself is. However, if someone has done testing that contradicts this, please post about the details.
    Credit to Brain Grant for doing the initial testing on this.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/254294/how-duration-reduction-affects-damaging-debuffs-not-obvious

Short version: if you reduce the duration of a damage over time debuff to a fraction of a "tick" (DoT debuffs tick once every half second) the game will create a damage tick that is proportional to the fraction of the half second the debuff lasts. So if you have a DoT debuff that lasts six seconds and you reduce the duration to five seconds you'll go from having 12 ticks to 10 ticks. But if you reduce the duration to 4.9 seconds you won't lose that last tick, instead that last tick will be smaller in damage (in this case, 80% of normal, because 4.5 seconds happens "normally" and the last 0.4 seconds is 80% of a full tick of damage).
  • ShoyebShoyeb Posts: 2
    Archangel Colossus Magneto. Which one of these should be Rank 3 six star champ
    Shoyeb said:

Archangel Colossus Magneto. Which one of these should be Rank 3 six star champ

This would not be a frequently asked question about the game mechanics, but the correct answer is: all of them.
  • AJC_1870AJC_1870 Posts: 43
    I’m trying to get the skill solo milestones finished, but apparently I have no clue how to perform a heavy attack. Is it tap the right side, or tap + hold? And I’m using an iPad, is there any difference between tablets and phones?