**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

With the New Apple Silicon Macbooks, MCOC will now be playable on a Laptop/Desktop Computer

With Apple's recent announcement of their M1 silicon chip laptops and desktop computers, they said iPad and iPhone apps can now be installed on a Mac. Which means MCOC can now be played on a computer. Will that be legal or against TOS?

Comments

• SparkAlotSparkAlot Posts: 957 ★★★★
    KGold29 said:

With Apple's recent announcement of their M1 silicon chip laptops and desktop computers, they said iPad and iPhone apps can now be installed on a Mac. Which means MCOC can now be played on a computer. Will that be legal or against TOS?

Why would it break TOS? Nothing in it states that it must be a phone or a tablet device.

They just say don't use a emulator, or modify the program.

So, you will be fine.
  • SparkAlot said:

KGold29 said:

Why would it break TOS? Nothing in it states that it must be a phone or a tablet device.

So, you will be fine.
    It could still very well break TOS unless they specify it
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★

SparkAlot said:

KGold29 said:

So, you will be fine.
    How?
  • Swe_wolfisSwe_wolfis Posts: 390 ★★
    KGold29 said:

Which means MCOC can now be played on a computer. Will that be legal or against TOS?

It's been legal playing native on chromebook for years so shouldn't be any problems
  • DjinDjin Posts: 1,962 ★★★★★
    As far as I know MacBooks don't have touchscreen(correct me if I'm wrong).
    So you have to use key mapping which comes under emulator category.
  • Hammerbro_64Hammerbro_64 Posts: 7,463 ★★★★★
    I don’t think it the the keyboard controls so much as it’s altering game files. Since it would be running from an official Apple store, it would be more difficult than some emulator website. I think it’s probable that it can be played.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 7,992 ★★★★★
    Djin said:

Don't the new MacBooks have touchscreens? Seem to recall a commercial about that
    To the people debating about how the controls are why kabam wouldn’t allow this:

1. MacBooks have trackpads which are more or less the same thing as touchscreens (just not on the screen)
    2. I’ve played Mcoc a long time ago on a 3rd party gamepad and it was fine

Controls don’t matter, ease of hacking matters.
  • DjinDjin Posts: 1,962 ★★★★★
    edited November 2020

1. MacBooks have trackpads which are more or less the same thing as touchscreens (just not on the screen)

Trackpad is not same as touchscreen.
    How will you pause the game or launch special attacks?
    Input from trackpad has to be converted to touch input for the game which requires a key mapper.

Oh wait is this “Big Sur” coming out TOMORROW? Oh wow I’m excited
  • Isn’t a MacBook TrackPad basically same as what a touchpad area is on PC laptops ?
    Which only effects movement of mouse control, but doesn’t actually trigger a specific location touch point that corresponds to coordinates on your screen.

I don’t think you could actually just press a point on let’s say toward the lower-left corner of TrackPad and have it run whatever Shortcut or App's icon happens to be at that lower-left corner of screen (on Home Screen of device)
    Similarly, wouldn’t be able to press lower-left corner of Pad and have it activate your SP Attack (in game).

So it really would have to have an actual touchscreen display.
  • SparkAlotSparkAlot Posts: 957 ★★★★
    Djin said:

You are so wrong.

Right now, you can get one of those gamepad adapters for phones, and that is PERFECTLY LEGAL according to Kabam.

The new macs don't alter the code at all, that is what Kabam really cares about.

Read the whole TOS yourself. https://kabam.com/terms-of-service/
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    As with Google Chromebooks, if the game is downloaded and played via the appropriate platforms, then the game files are not being altered. So it will be legitimate.
  • Oh wait is this “Big Sur” coming out TOMORROW? Oh wow I’m excited

I'm not excited for this to come out at all
  • DNA3000 said:

SparkAlot said:

KGold29 said:

So, you will be fine.
    At the moment, playing on an Apple laptop or desktop does not break the TOS in and of itself. The TOS prohibits modifications to the game or installing it from unauthorized sources. But if you're using Apple's App Store to install the game on a platform that Apple itself explicitly supports installing iOS games from the App Store onto, that does not violate the current MCOC terms of service. Current Apple laptops and desktops can't do this without emulators or other workarounds, so they aren't supported. The new M1 platforms are (said to be) officially supported by Apple to load iOS apps, so they would be treated like any other Apple supported iOS device.

I am not an official Kabam spokesperson so my opinion carries no official weight. However, I do know this has been discussed before, on multiple occasions, and that has always been the rule. If the platform you're on supports downloading and installing apps from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store without modification to the platform itself, and it is a platform that the app store vendor directly supports, then that is an officially sanctioned game platform.

The rules may change, but thems the rules as I understand them.
    Works for me, that's why I said it could break it unless specified. If it is allowed then that's pretty cool. Still won't be buying a Mac personally haha

DNA3000 said:

SparkAlot said:

KGold29 said:

So, you will be fine.
    At the moment, playing on an Apple laptop or desktop does not break the TOS in and of itself. The TOS prohibits modifications to the game or installing it from unauthorized sources. But if you're using Apple's App Store to install the game on a platform that Apple itself explicitly supports installing iOS games from the App Store onto, that does not violate the current MCOC terms of service. Current Apple laptops and desktops can't do this without emulators or other workarounds, so they aren't supported. The new M1 platforms are (said to be) officially supported by Apple to load iOS apps, so they would be treated like any other Apple supported iOS device.

I am not an official Kabam spokesperson so my opinion carries no official weight. However, I do know this has been discussed before, on multiple occasions, and that has always been the rule. If the platform you're on supports downloading and installing apps from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store without modification to the platform itself, and it is a platform that the app store vendor directly supports, then that is an officially sanctioned game platform.

Works for me, that's why I said it could break it unless specified. If it is allowed then that's pretty cool. Still won't be buying a Mac personally haha
    I'm with you. Fapple.
    I get that they're partners wurh MCOC. Just my preference.
    edited November 2020

DNA3000 said:

SparkAlot said:

KGold29 said:

So, you will be fine.

It’s not exclusive to the 2020 models. It goes as far back as like 2015 and maybe 2013? If you don’t have a mac at all I agreed that there isn’t much to justify it, but if you do happen to have an older laptop, you could still get it (assuming it’s supported)

Edit: In other news, I’m taking kabam’s lack of a response as a hint that an announcement could come tomorrow with Big Sur’s launch. If it wasn’t going to be supported, I’m sure they would have said “sorry nope” and closed the thread. The glimmer of hope remains :]