**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

When did you start focusing more on 6* featured as opposed to basic?

OakenshieldOakenshield Posts: 1,667 ★★★★
edited June 2021 in Strategy and Tips
As we get close to the release of the next 6* featured I’m trying to figure out whether to prioritize it or keep going to for basics.

My 6* roster is pretty modest - 22 champs. My roster is at best solid - a number of God tier, but not a lot of BGT nor Meme champs. So, could be worse but also could be a lot better.

My gut tells me I probably should continue to focus on basics to build out my roster and hopefully pick up a few rankable champs vs targeting a narrower set of champs in the featured. Obviously that will change if a decent number of my main 6* target champs end up in the featured, but since I’ve already got a 5* version of Shang Chi and Mr N it slightly reduces the value of the featured gem for me.

So, interested in how you have approached this - when did you flip to more focus on featured vs. basic?

Thanks
Post edited by Kabam Porthos on

Comments

• DawsManDawsMan Posts: 2,147 ★★★★★
    I haven't yet. Honestly, I'm not going to go for the five star featured either until I get Torch, Nick, Red Mags, and Warlock. I did pull prof X from a featured 6* but I only have 32 six stars, quite a small roster. If there is a champion that you want to target/believe would help you, go for it. That's what I'm going to do with Shangy cuz I love him so much. You want to have your bases covered for AW, story quest, long content, anything you want to do. Then you go for featureds to fill out your roster with exclusive, more niche, fun, or new champion.
  • SkyLord7000SkyLord7000 Posts: 3,999 ★★★★★
    Last years OP fall/winter featured was my first. Now it’s on and off depending on how good the featured is.
  • LibertyPrimeV1LibertyPrimeV1 Posts: 4,179 ★★★★★
    After my 7th or so Basic I swapped to Featureds and never looked back once, highly suggest it since the Basic Pool is just So Inflated and it's always fun having that chance of a New 6 Star that isn't in the Basic Pool yet (whether that be recent releases like Stryfe or previously unavailable 6 Stars like Crossbones).
    Also Featureds make Duping a 6 Star So Much Easier, which is very good for certain Champions that either Require or get a Very Big Boost from their Sig.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 7,992 ★★★★★
    edited June 2021
    Have 17-18 6*s (can't remember rn). Only been doing basics so far. I'll only do a featured if I really want that specific champ since 5k extra shards is a hefty price for someone like me.
    As said by others, it's highly individual whether to go for them or not
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,173 ★★★★★
    I go back and forth. Sometimes I have had great luck, other times not. Wasn’t excited by current pool so didn’t get any.

Opening nine features on Tuesday, aiming to awaken Odin and Shang-chi, and to pull Jabari.
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,965 ★★★★★
    ItsDamien said:

Yeah it really depends on who's in the featured. After the Apoc 6* featured I went back to basics. I've already decided that if Nick or Aegon makes an appearance in one again I'll go for it but otherwise I'll probably stick to basics. Although Shang Chi should be in this next one right? That's also a potential reason.

This was what I did too. Not only was the apocalypse feature loaded, but I happened to have lots of them already. Awakening Apoc and Ghost right before they went to rank 3 was pretty awesome. Duping DDHK was not.

Discount features were the best value of the sigil. You can buy 4 within 30 days if you time it correctly, and that’s a savings of 8000 shards off the top, plus whatever comes with rewards.
  • TrashyPandaTrashyPanda Posts: 1,574 ★★★★★
    When the Featured with Apoc/CGR/Ghost/etc. was available. Back to Basics with the current lineup.

Mind, I completely struck out on those Feats, but it was worth the risk. It's a shame that we probably won't see another pool like that for a while.
  • Real_Madrid_76_2Real_Madrid_76_2 Posts: 3,309 ★★★★★
    edited June 2021
    Never. Featured 5 and 6 star suck as both cost more than basic and both have limited champion pool compared to basic. I haven't ever bought a single featured(5 or 6 star) Crystal except for the one which was path reward in mutant Treasure Island. It was fully formed
  • CorkscrewCorkscrew Posts: 532 ★★★

As we get close to the release of the next 6* featured I’m trying to figure out whether to prioritize it or keep going to for basics.
    So, interested in how you have approached this - when did you flip to more focus on featured vs. basic?

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule for a cut over and it remains fluid depending on the featured pool and game meta.

There are a lot of end game players who haven't gone nearly as hard on the current 6* featured as the previous, so it's not like they switched to featured and never looked back.

Personally, I went for the last featured about 8 crystals deep. Of those I pulled CGR in the first 3 and junk from the remaining 5 trying to awaken him or pull Apoc. Since then I've not gone back to featured because a) I can pull junk from basic and it's less costly and b) none of the current featured entice me enough when there are still so many left to pull in basic.

You need to base your decision on the merits of the crystal and your roster i.e. could be your best chance to dupe a certain champ, get a synergy partner etc etc.

• VendemiaireVendemiaire Posts: 2,178 ★★★★★
    The Apoc/Prof X/CGR era Featured made me open more than I should’ve. Skipped the next one. Will open strictly 3 this time and go back to basics.
  • TheBoogyManTheBoogyMan Posts: 2,094 ★★★★★
    I thinky ou should go gor featured once you have most, if not all, of strong champions to make your roster.
  • LordSmasherLordSmasher Posts: 1,358 ★★★★★

I thinky ou should go gor featured once you have most, if not all, of strong champions to make your roster.

Agree. Once your R5 roster is strong most of the champions in the 6 star basic aren't going to excite you. You need those new shinies!
  • No_oneukNo_oneuk Posts: 1,430 ★★★★★
    I have a spreadsheet I use that lists every champion in the basic and every champion in the featured as seperate tables. I calculate 3 columns - would level to 1/25, would rank 2/35 or want as a duplicate of a champ I already have, and would rank 3/45. At the bottom, math tells me the % chance to pull from each category. In the featured it also tells me the % chance adjusted for the additional cost of the featured (15k for normal, 13k for sigil) and I pull on whichever gives me the highest percent chance.

If its particularly close, I'll do basics simply because champion buffs happen and more often than not I update the list with a buff as champions enter different columns.
  • OdachiOdachi Posts: 1,069 ★★★★
    I've only bought 2 featured 6*; I got super skrull and super skrull. I quickly went back to just basics and I'm on 68 6* now.
  • SwarmOfRavensSwarmOfRavens Posts: 1,264 ★★★★★
    Depends on the featured and what your roster is lacking.
    I don't believe there's a 6* roster number where you start focusing on them. Waiting til you pull X amount of 6 stars is unappealing with how much trash is in the basic pool.

During the last 6* featured I opened them exclusively since it had a good ratio of champs id r3. Haven't opened a single of the current featured because there's nothing in it that affects my account.

Right now I'm lacking skill, science and tech r3 options so I'll probably be chasing Shang chi, Mr Negative and silver centurion in the next featured
  • Fluffy_pawsFluffy_paws Posts: 2,677 ★★★★★
    When they put Archangel in it.
    Then they put him in the basics and I switched back because I didnt get him.
    If they put in a champ i really wanted I'd go featured but that hasn't happened since, yet
  • OakenshieldOakenshield Posts: 1,667 ★★★★
    edited June 2021

Yeah this is close to my situation. I’ve had really good luck on my 5* roster and have many of the top champs, and in another month or three should have them all at R5. Fewer and Fewer 6* champs in basic that I’d definitely rank given I’m not in an Uber alliance and not a whale - just don’t have the resources. Warlock, Claire, Professor X, CGR are my main wants. NF if I can figure out a way to get him awakened relatively quickly. And even Professor X and Claire I have as 5*’s, just ranking my other top 5*’s first in case I manage to land them in 6.

However, the same thing is likely going to be true in the featured - Shang Chi is great, but already have him as a 5* R5. Most of the other recent new champs I’m not that interested in. Maybe Odin for my Ghost team? So, will probably depend on whether one my other main targets is in the featured. If so then it might make sense, otherwise will probably stick with the basic.

Thanks for all the advice.
  • Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★
    The only good thing I got from the current featured is godpin. Couldn't pull myself a G99 unfortunately :'(

Wanted to go for the coming featured for Shang and mister neg, but I already have good skill and science champs as rank 3 candidates. So yeah, I think I'll stick to basics so I can have a decent chance at good mutant and tech champs
  • JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★
    I have 100+ 6* and I still focus on the basic. The feature would have to be beyond amazing to tempt me. So many need dupes and/or sig levels.
  • thewass1980thewass1980 Posts: 151
    edited June 2021
    Odachi said:

I've only bought 2 featured 6*; I got super skrull and super skrull. I quickly went back to just basics and I'm on 68 6* now.

Considering that Super Skrull is in the current featured 6 Star crystal, that's kinda cool? I guess? Nevermind, he's terrible.