**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Is Gold boost live or not yet? [MERGED THREADS]

Comments

• Options
    DarkZenDarkZen Posts: 285
    Is gold boost now live as still not received ingame message
  • Options
    GinjabredMonstaGinjabredMonsta Posts: 6,454 Guardian
    edited December 2021
    Glad I decided not to open anything until I saw a message or icon showing a boost. Swing and a miss this week. I would like some sort of confirmation though that this change did occur now.
  • Options
    CJLCJL Posts: 29
    Soo is this working correctly now? Can anyone confirm?
  • Options
    ReignkingTWReignkingTW Posts: 2,537 ★★★★★
    CJL said:

Soo is this working correctly now? Can anyone confirm?

I can't because I opened all of mine hours ago.
  • Options
    JMartin5437JMartin5437 Posts: 19
    Hosed by believing what was said here, opened earlier believing it was live…..smh.
  • Options
    GruzzlrGruzzlr Posts: 10
    Pikolu said:

2StarKing said:

This is not right! I feel I have been scammed! Today I averaged 24K per crystal from 743 Uncollected Gold Crystals. I got 17,803,500 gold. In the summer during the gold boost 800 or so Uncollected Gold Crystals gave me 40 million gold.

A guy opened 300 UC gold crystals with the gold boost during the summer and got 6.6mil. Not sure how you're able to get more than double his amount of gold per crystal
    743 is more than 300*2 (600)...
  • Options
    DarkZenDarkZen Posts: 285

Alright, everybody! We've just pushed the change live, so the change to Gold amounts should be live within the next hour.

This change will revert the drop rates of the crystals to the old ones, and increase all gold payouts by 30% instead of the current system.

This should not change how much Gold players got from opening many crystals, but we are going to verify to make sure that is correct. We will look at the gold payouts before and after the change early next week, and determine if there is any action required.

Thank you all for pointing this out, and we apologize for this situation and confusion.

Its been over an hour. Can you confirm its now live ?
  • Options
    Malreck04Malreck04 Posts: 3,323 ★★★★★
    Awawag said:

When did they say that the boost would be "rng" depentant? I didn't see that stated. This is bg, Kabam!

There are 2 ways to do this 30% boost:

1) Flat 30% increase to each outcome to increase expected value by 30%
    2) Increase expected value by 30% by changing the outcomes and/or rate of each outcome

Let's take a look a what each of those means with a simple (albeit extreme) example:
    I have no idea what the actual numbers are so this is purely for the purpose of demonstration

Old system:
    2400 gold = 50% chance
    5000 gold = 40% chance
    10000 gold = 10% chance
    expected value = 4200 gold

A flat 30% increase would mean:
    3120 gold = 50% chance
    6500 gold = 40% chance
    13000 gold = 10% chance
    expected value = 5460 gold (30% increase)

Now the second way to increase the EV is:
    2400 gold = 50% chance
    5000 gold = 40% chance
    10000 gold = 9% chance
    136000 gold = 1% chance
    expected value = 5460 gold (30% increase)

Since Kabam has said that it's not a flat 30% increase to each crystal, we can assume it's the second option. Again, my example here is very extreme, but you can see how in both cases, we end up with a 30% increase in the expected amount of gold earned.

Now that question is do we want that 1% chance to hit the jackpot or do we just want the guaranteed 30% increase from option 1? I think we've made our opinions pretty clear here.
    It’s not necessary for them to add a jackpot though, it is possible to alter the drop chances so that the weighted sum gives a 30% increase. Of course, this method would still not help EVERYONE because it's statistics, probability and confirmation bias, there would be a significant number of people who see no perceivable change. However Miike has said that they will make it 30% across the board, which is obviously amazing. @Awawag
  • Options
    King_eWinKing_eWin Posts: 6

Alright, everybody! We've just pushed the change live, so the change to Gold amounts should be live within the next hour.

This change will revert the drop rates of the crystals to the old ones, and increase all gold payouts by 30% instead of the current system.

This should not change how much Gold players got from opening many crystals, but we are going to verify to make sure that is correct. We will look at the gold payouts before and after the change early next week, and determine if there is any action required.

Thank you all for pointing this out, and we apologize for this situation and confusion.

@Kabam Miike thank you for the assistance and understanding the issue. The individuals that opened the crystals with the bad rates instead of the flat 30% will need to be compensated though. I do not believe everyone in the game opened gold during that time but there were some (myself included) please ensure they do not take the lazy way out and do averages as they tried to do with the gold crystal (i.e. person 1 opened 1 crystal person 2 opened 400 crystals they both get a compensation of 200 - the average) as you can guess how unfair that is to person 400. There might not be an easy way to fix but one way might be to take one of the people that opened the most crystals and see how far they were off of the 30% and just give that to everyone (if you want to take an easier way out) or look at the worst rate person with the most crystals and just take the gold they missed out as the compensation to everyone (worse that will do is give everyone the same rewards but it won’t be debatable as that was the lowest rate with the most crystals so no one had a better shot at more gold (no one feels cheated). Good luck with this as between this and the 6* AG this week was only half planned correctly (thanks for the calendar though!). Concerned summoner
  • Options
    Rohit_316Rohit_316 Posts: 3,386 ★★★★★
    So is the boost live now ??
  • Options
    Ace2319Ace2319 Posts: 619 ★★★
    Gruzzlr said:

Pikolu said:

2StarKing said:

This is not right! I feel I have been scammed! Today I averaged 24K per crystal from 743 Uncollected Gold Crystals. I got 17,803,500 gold. In the summer during the gold boost 800 or so Uncollected Gold Crystals gave me 40 million gold.

A guy opened 300 UC gold crystals with the gold boost during the summer and got 6.6mil. Not sure how you're able to get more than double his amount of gold per crystal
    743 is more than 300*2 (600)...
    I think what they’re saying is 6mil*2 is not 40mil
  • Options
    CangaceiroCangaceiro Posts: 429
    @Kabam Miike can we get something done about this?
    MBogusz said:

And for those who already opened?

• Options
    MudDragonMudDragon Posts: 10
    A CHANCE of increased gold is no guarantee. The language in the announcement compared the 30% increase to the 20% increase from previous events. This implies a guaranteed flat rate of 20%. Not only is it making things difficult when you add chance to the mix, but since some people will have poor luck it will appear to them that your promise of 30% was deceitful.
  • Options
    JH_bruv02JH_bruv02 Posts: 3

ChriissR said:

2StarKing said:

The Gold increase has gone live (in fact, it went live before 10). I'm not good at math, but the changes were made to give an approximate 30% boost across all crystals.

AFAIK: On a 1 to 1 crystal rate, it wouldn't look like much of an increase, but opening a bunch of them will net out to that increase.

I'm gonna get somebody much better at math to explain this though, so stay tuned on exactly how this works.

Please do get a better explanation because the previous explaination was a 30% per crystal not over a batch of crystals.
    It is 30% per crystal. 30% of 1 crystal is barely anything, that's what he in stating. If you get 10k Gold and it's a 30% boost, you'll get 13k. Opening a few hundred you will actually notice the boost. That's what Mike is talking about.

Except it’s not 30% per crystal. If that were the case, the minimum would have increased by 30%. We can clearly see it hasn’t. They seemingly did something with the odds to “average out to a 30% increase” which is why people are mad. They made it seem as if they’d do a flat 30% increase to all crystals, just like the old boost did at 20%.
    Can you explain why this is worse? I'd like to take that to the team. If the increase is to odds to give you more gold, I'm not sure why that's worse than just a plain boost to gold if it averages out to the same thing.
    If you increase the odds to give out more gold in arena crystals. People opening them would get way less units. You just nerfed arena crystals
  • Options
    BuggyDClownBuggyDClown Posts: 2,073 ★★★★★
    Coppin said:

Update: I spoke to the team about the confusion here and the expectations. We get the confusion and are going to make changes to just do the 30% update across all good pools instead of trying to make work.

More details soon!

Hoorayyy thank you..
    Man the ammount of ppl that are going to ask to be compensated for opened crystals wont be a joke...
    Though i don't like topics of compensation but this confusion made many players to open crystals. I opened 180 UC myself. So many players are going to upset , as they have hoard again for the benefits which were supposed to get on first hand. I'm gonna sit and see how people actually reacts to it 😂
  • Options
    ChiliDogChiliDog Posts: 883 ★★★
    I opened 1 crystal and only got 100 more. So I definitely need compensation after reading what happened.

Actually I opened about 13+ million gold from gold crystals and arena tokens based of on the forum go live state statement. I just read through the rest of this. Hopefully it was 30% or better with the rng.

This is why I fully back governments requiring true % chance of each reward in gaming "crack crystals" and loot boxes. That way peope know the exact chances. 100% chance of gold with a minimum of X should not be acceptable.
  • Options
    MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,113 ★★★★
    @Kabam Miike you may need to implement an overflow system, or auto open system for gold crystals too above a certain level as now everyone knows hoarding causes server issues and kabam needs to stop hoarding, there needs to be an incentive to stop.

So at the moment, even with the 30% boost, a LOT of people will still hoard in the hope of greater incentives to open them all in the future. A 20% boost on top of this 30% for example.

QED; I'll keep hoarding.
  • Options
    LlessurLlessur Posts: 488 ★★★

Update: I spoke to the team about the confusion here and the expectations. We get the confusion and are going to make changes to just do the 30% update across all good pools instead of trying to make work.

More details soon!

Thanks! @Kabam Miike
  • Options
    CoatHang3rCoatHang3r Posts: 4,965 ★★★★★
    edited December 2021

@Kabam Miike you may need to implement an overflow system, or auto open system for gold crystals too above a certain level as now everyone knows hoarding causes server issues and kabam needs to stop hoarding, there needs to be an incentive to stop.

So at the moment, even with the 30% boost, a LOT of people will still hoard in the hope of greater incentives to open them all in the future. A 20% boost on top of this 30% for example.

QED; I'll keep hoarding.

“Everyone” may believe because certain people helped perpetuate that myth but it’s not at all how it works. Like Miike tell you himself.

Hey there! Some insight: It's not people holding on to a large number of crystals that is a lot of Data, it's the number of Crystals that exist. This is why we do a large opening of crystals every now and then on outdated crystals, so we can remove them from the game files when it's done.

It's not a problem that somebody might have 2000 of 1 Crystal, it's that somebody might have 1 of 2000 different crystals, and even then it's not based on how many any Summoner has... just that the data exists.

Disclaimer: I am not an engineer, and this is my rudimentary understanding of the situation.

• Options
    I still don't see the gold boost active, restarted game and device. Still no luck :(
  • Options
    Fit_Fun9329Fit_Fun9329 Posts: 1,836 ★★★★★
    What is the actual status quo? Is it active now?
  • Options
    HalleyHalley Posts: 386 ★★
    Yeah, still need to wait & see a bit though
  • Options
    bdawg923bdawg923 Posts: 754 ★★★★
    edited December 2021
    I wish they just brought back the 20% twice a year boost. This increase might bring more gold from crystals but the 20% boost definitely brought in more gold overall because people saved hard content for the boost like variant and act 6 Or 7. The gold boost for those 1.5 million gold rewards plus 20% from crystals as well as selling tons of items and iso will probably be larger overall than this small increase to just the crystals. And this doesn't change hoarding crystals for me. Such a dumb change
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    bdawg923 said:

I wish they just brought back the 20% twice a year boost. This increase might bring more gold from crystals but the 20% boost definitely brought in more gold overall because people saved hard content for the boost like variant and act 6 Or 7. The gold boost for those 1.5 million gold rewards plus 20% from crystals as well as selling tons of items and iso will probably be larger overall than this small increase to just the crystals. And this doesn't change hoarding crystals for me. Such a dumb change

Ah yes. Purposely restricting progression is always fun
  • Options
    bdawg923bdawg923 Posts: 754 ★★★★

bdawg923 said:

Ah yes. Purposely restricting progression is always fun
    Getting less gold overall. Ah yes so fun
  • Options
    ShaggyMShaggyM Posts: 258 ★★★
    Can't believe they increased the drop rate and called it a 30% increase. So shady.
  • Options
    Searmenis said:

After the boost, I get way fewer to nothing units from battlechips. Is this intentional or just my luck (such a coincidence?)

Probably just luck.

As to the gold changes in the arena crystals specifically:

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/290537/how-much-more-gold-are-in-arena-crystals-analysis-of-gold-boost