**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Why is Apoc considered a great champ? (Excluding synergy)

Justin2524Justin2524 Posts: 1,626 ★★★★
edited January 2022 in Strategy and Tips
I just don’t get it.

All his debuffs are more or less useless debuffs.

He cant power control.

He needs ramping up.

Can hardly counter evades.
Post edited by Kabam Porthos on

Comments

• Options
    Was looking for an inspiring post still haven’t seen one. Just as I had thought.
  • Options
    He’s just not a home run champ.. but people are making him out to be… that’s what I’m saying
  • Options
    ThatGuyYouSaw235ThatGuyYouSaw235 Posts: 3,145 ★★★★★
    Apoc is a good champion man.

But his way of evade countering is overhyped.
  • Options

Was looking for an inspiring post still haven’t seen one. Just as I had thought.

People have refuted 3 of your 4 points. I don't think apoc is the problem here.

He’s just not a home run champ.. but people are making him out to be… that’s what I’m saying

Have you even ranked your apoc? I have seen him used in act 7 all the time.
    What do you say is his best attibutres then not counting synergy.
  • Options
    DrZola said:

How are you using (or misusing) your Apoc?

It’s tough to know what’s not working for you without more info. I’d bet there are plenty including myself who are happy to offer suggestions, but the list you’ve made isn’t that useful.

What’s the issue you’re having?

Dr. Zola

Like what is he really best at?

He doesn’t have huge damage like cgr.

He doesn’t have power control like Doom.

He doesn’t shut down robot like Magneto.

He doesn’t nullify.

What is he Great at exactly?
  • Options

What's this doesn't have huge damage, rubbish?

My r3 apoc can do ws, quickly, in average 64 hits with my normal mutant quest team (apoc, white mags, profx, cable) and suicides. With good rng on the sp2, it's 60. And well under a minute fight time; sp1, sp2, couple of heavies to refresh between and final sp2 for overkill, sp1 if his health is under 22%

My r3 CGR can do it faster, but not by much. Apoc's SP2 slaps hard with cable for charges and normal mutant special boost team.

Yeah but you gotta bring a whole bunch of mutants.. c’mon now.. that ain’t realistic.
  • Options

Gonna disprove all your points in one comment.

1.You his debuffs are "more or less useless". All of them have a use
    Weakness: reduce enemy attack by up to 25% I believe, don't quote me on that. Very helpful against dealing with block damage.
    Poison: no need to explain this, reduces healing and does damages over time which are both great.
    Degen: damage over time that no champion is immune to.
    Concussion: ability accuracy reduction is always fun.

2. Can't power control. Yea neither can 90% of characters in this game, even the 'god tier ones'. Hercules can't, Corvus can't, Fury can't, Aegon can't. You don't need power control to make a champion good.

3. Arguably one of the quickest ramp ups for a ramp up champ. Either bring in the synergy champ, or win 3 fights (1 when against a mutant).

4. Yea sure it isn't reliable evade counter for the first like 6 or 7 evades in a quest. But after that you're chilling

EDIT: Paragraph spacing to make it easier to understand

Lots of debuffs yes but they are all ticking really small.. like non consequential.
  • Options
    Lovejoy72 said:

My biggest problem with him is that he hits hard enough at 4 persistent charges that I prefer to keep him that way, vs making a horseman.

Honestly, tho, ignoring debuff shrug, the ability to stun thru block, access to three different DOT effects, easy refresh on them, etc.

And that’s not even mentioning his awesome Final Fight style flying kick on that SP2.

Exactly re horseman hence I said in the title excluding synergy.
  • Options
    altavistaaltavista Posts: 1,289 ★★★★

He doesn’t nullify.

You’re conflating two different arguments - Champion is best in Class, and champion is one of the best overall.

Nullify and power control are typically exclusive to Mystic/Tech. Can’t use the lack of that ability as an argument against a champion that isn’t in those classes. If you’re going against a buff heavy matchup, you’re not typically going to bring a non-mystic.

But specifically to your points: He does do huge special damage like CGR. Definitely not as huge, but at 4 Prowess his SP2 takes off huge chunks of health.

He doesn’t have nullify, but with Concussion and an SP3, those buffs aren’t appearing anyways. And this ability accuracy reduction isn’t limited to metal.

He doesn’t have power control, but he can minimize hits and let the DoT debuffs + occasional specials do the job. Might mean a longish fight, but he can anyone else have 100% uptime on degen/poison debuff?

He has Best in Class ability to prevent debuff shrug off (unlike OR, its not dependent on keeping spores on). He can get Permanent prowesses, which help on Nodes that require prowesses. No one else has an immunity to Disorient. He’s handled many Mix-master/evade paths for me easily.

A sign of a great champion is one who doesn’t specifically have the abilities that a path calls for, but is able to do it anyway. And Apocalypse can handle very well paths that call for Damage, Power control, Nullify.

No suicides, and with Cable only occasionally as the only mutant teammate, he conquers many things for me based only on his kit.
  • Options
    SaltE_Wenis69SaltE_Wenis69 Posts: 1,992 ★★★★

I just don’t get it.

He cant power control.

He needs ramping up.

dang! Aegon must be trash then!
    He needs to ramp up, he can't power control, and his debuffs are "useless"!
  • Options
    SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,218 ★★★★★

I just don’t get it.

He cant power control.

He needs ramping up.

Absolutely! Apocalypse is a DUD!!!!!
    *Chuckles*
  • Options
    SaltE_Wenis69SaltE_Wenis69 Posts: 1,992 ★★★★

I just don’t get it.

He cant power control.

He needs ramping up.

Absolutely! Apocalypse is a DUD!!!!!
    *Chuckles*
    I miss KD even though I just came back to mcoc after like a few months lol
  • Options
    ZAHIDMALIK1588ZAHIDMALIK1588 Posts: 624 ★★

DrZola said:

It’s tough to know what’s not working for you without more info. I’d bet there are plenty including myself who are happy to offer suggestions, but the list you’ve made isn’t that useful.

Dr. Zola

He doesn’t nullify.

I am with you on this, plus I would add a few more you forgot to mention
    He doesn't have a flame on prefight ability like HT
    He doesn't degen mutants like ultron
    He doesn't have a sword like ronin
    He doesn't shoot arrows like hawkeye
    He doesn't have claws like volverine or weapon x
    He doesn't go unblockable after sp like Dman
    and most importantly, he doesn't fly like Dman
    You made your point
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,547 ★★★★★

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

He doesn’t nullify.

He does have good dmg. Foes cant shrug his debuffs. Hes tanky. His debuffs are awesome so dunno what ur talking about there. And hes got immunities. His evade counter isnt the best ofc but it's solid. Stun on block is very helpful for easy openings. I get the feeling you really dont have a ranked apoc. And you cant exclude his synergies as they are great both for him and others. Cable apoc is an insane duo. And ofc the horseman ability is unique and top notch. How can you not like big daddy apoc
    This is a pretty good response to the questions by @TheManMythLegend , so I will add that it seems like OP’s expectations are unrealistic.

One could argue that Doom can’t phase damage like Kitty or Ghost, or that Magneto struggles against non-metal champs (as well as what we can assume will be increasingly more common champs like Nimrod that counter Mags)….therefore making both Doom and Mags “not that good.”

When you consider that many of his main synergy partners are also very good champs in their own rights (AA, Cable, Prof X, etc.) it’s hard to see how Apoc doesn’t rank at top of class and near the top of all champs.

I’d also ask OP to share what rarity and level of Apoc he/she is using and how/where they are using Apoc. Might be easier to diagnose what OP is doing wrong than argue about abstracts.

Dr. Zola