**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Why "suicides"?

Dee_1001Dee_1001 Posts: 46
edited November 2022 in General Discussion
Pardon the clickbait. I'm sure many of you have entered this thread ready to argue the merits of a suicide mastery build. But this thread is literally about the use of the moniker "suicides"... Thus the use of quotation marks.

I've often wondered why we call the mastery setup that increases damage whilst sacrificing health "suicides" as opposed to "kamikaze".

The former merely describes the act of ending One's own life whilst the latter is literally the sacrifice of one's own life for the ability to inflict maximum carnage.
Post edited by Kabam Miike on

Comments

• FineDogFineDog Posts: 403 ★★★
    My guess is that suicides is just a more more common and well-known term for self-harm, whereas kamikaze, while much more accurate and still fairly well known, is not as common. So whoever coined the term initially just didn't have it top of mind and it stuck.

On the subject of offending kamikaze pilots, I recommend you all watch the Kamikaze Bingo episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.
  • K00shMaanK00shMaan Posts: 1,289 ★★★★
    Dee_1001 said:

Pardon the clickbait. I'm sure many of you have entered this thread ready to argue the merits of a suicide mastery build. But this thread is literally about the use of the moniker "suicides"... Thus the use of quotation marks.

I've often wondered why we call the mastery setup that increases damage whilst sacrificing health "suicides" as opposed to "kamikaze".

The former merely describes the act of ending One's own life whilst the latter is literally the sacrifice of one's own life for the ability to inflict maximum carnage.

I have two BG decks and one of them is aptly named "Kamikaze".
  • Dee_1001Dee_1001 Posts: 46
    I probably should have clarified.

I raised this only as to remark. I don't have a problem with the word suicide. Just thought it was interesting enough to share.

As for the number of disagrees my original comment received it goes to show that there are people out there just looking for a fight.
  • psp742psp742 Posts: 2,297 ★★★★
    I guess basically because you willing allow your champion to have poison and bleeds at the start of a fight thus draining their health in exchange for stronger attack.. but each time your champion use special 1 or special 2, they suffer from recoil damage.. so it is preferred that you have poison and bleed immune champions.. some champions have abilities that allow them to not take damage from recoil.. so in essence if you keep on using special 1 or special 2, your champion might expire.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 7,992 ★★★★★

Why gamora?

Who Gamora?
  • hermherm Posts: 415 ★★
    as soon as you enable liquid courage with most champions, that is exactly what it becomes. recoil too
  • AntsiouAntsiou Posts: 168 ★★
    Been seeing the term “ouchies” on Line and YouTube lately. Also recoil tree mastery.
  • MiStaloOvaMiStaloOva Posts: 22
    +40% dmg simple
  • Because you hit harder but kill yourself in the process. You are in theory committing suicide the longer you fight ... no sure if this is a woke kid thing or if you are seriously just asking a question.
  • The_Flying_Jew82The_Flying_Jew82 Posts: 71
    edited November 2022
    Why can we call a character "man thing" maybe he / she identifies as "man person" lol.
  • jdeck59 said:

Recoil tree offends me

cuz you got hit when a butt of the gun hit your face too hard?
  • psp742psp742 Posts: 2,297 ★★★★
    Woke.. political correctness and being judgemental towards others are crippling society in general.. NOTE: MCOC is a game.. no one is actually killing themselves here.. we are using digital characters who we are only renting from kabam.. so please play the game as it is.. suicides, recoil mastery or whatever it is called.. it does not affect you in real life.. so please stop the cringe and er Karen or Ken comments or post.. just STOP.. play and enjoy..

...End of discussion...
  • Wicket329Wicket329 Posts: 2,992 ★★★★★

Because you hit harder but kill yourself in the process. You are in theory committing suicide the longer you fight ... no sure if this is a woke kid thing or if you are seriously just asking a question.

If you read the question, you’ll see that OP was asking why suicides and not kamikaze, as that name makes more sense to them. I don’t know how anybody pulled anything about “woke” from that.

At the end of the day, I don’t think anybody cares what you call them so long as we can tell what you’re referring to.
  • It makes me very sad to see that mental health is being turned into a conversation about “wokeness” and “snowflakes”.

Mental health is a real problem for some people and is not something to be turned into a culture war.

Is someone using the term suicide going to push someone over the edge? Likely not. Does it make me angry if someone uses it? Not at all, they’re obviously just using the phrase that has existed in game. I used it myself up until recently.

But as someone who has struggled pretty seriously with my own mental health, I can empathise with others who say that the term leaves a bad taste in their mouth and reminds them of going through those times - whether past or present.

It’s not about being triggered, or being woke, or being a snowflake as some bad actors would have you believe. It’s about having empathy with people who don’t want to be reminded of one of the hardest things to go through when they play a game.

I’m personally not angry with anyone for using the term suicides, I understand that’s how it’s been so far in the game. I think @Dragonfei put it really well in a Twitter thread, so instead of rehashing her words I’ll quote it:

“I think it’s important to recognize that this kind of change isn’t a switch flip. Calling them suicides is going to continue to be a thing for a long time, not out of malicious intent or ignorance, but because that’s what has been used for so long. And that’s okay.

Changing something like this is slow. The more people change, the more it becomes the new norm.

But if someone drops the term suicide masteries - I would encourage people to understand it’s not inherently malicious. It was the term. It should be as simple as, “I prefer using Recoil Tree”. There doesn’t need to be an argument or fight.”

What I’m saying is it’s fine to start using a different name for them, it’s fine to ask others and remind others of the impact that words can actually have - but don’t shame anyone who continues to use it, don’t be angry with them because they use a phrase that’s been in the game since essentially the start.

Mental health is a really important issue for a lot of people - me included - you’re not a snowflake or woke for caring about it.

If it bothers you, it might be best to never turn a TV on again and stop playing the game ... I am just looking out for your well being.
This discussion has been closed.