Vote Ruby Thursday: the case for your vote.

DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,361 Guardian
I know what you're going to say: you already know who the runaway winner is going to be in the Summoner's Choice 2024 vote. But just hear me out. Here's why I think Ruby Thursday is the right choice for the Battlerealm, the Contest, and yes, even you.

Let's start by looking at the competition. First there's Shathra. Shathra is female, and we could always use more female champions. But she's also a Spider-something or other, and we have tons of those. Let's take a look at her powers:

Superhuman Strength
Superhuman Speed
Superhuman Stamina
Superhuman Durability
Superhuman Agility
Superhuman Reflexes
Superhuman Sense of Smell
Regenerative Healing Factor
Immortality
Flight
Shapeshifting
Teleportation
Claws & Stingers
Wasp-Totem Creation

Seriously: super smell? We're not getting all of that. We're not getting any of that. Whatever subset you think we're getting out of that, we're not getting that. This is a character ripe for disappointment. You think we're getting an immortal flying brick teleporter with regeneration? We'll be lucky to get super smell.

Next we have the Beetle. Or rather, *a* Beetle. But which Beetle? The Marvel wiki lists a bunch of them:

Abner Jenkins
Leila Davis
Janice Lincoln
Elizabeth Vaughn
Gary Quinn
Janice Jones
Janice Lincoln
Joachim Robichaux
Maso Katoro
Ultimate Beetle
Unnamed Criminal

Yes, one of the Beetles listed in the Marvel wiki is literally "unnamed criminal." There have been so many Beetles in Marvel comics they can't keep track of them all. Voting for the Beetle is like asking Kabam to add that guy you remember being on the Avengers that one time:

Then there's Shriek. I have nothing against Shriek per se, but Shriek gets her powers in part from being exposed to the Cloak dimension. we don't even have Cloak and Dagger in the game yet. That seems a bit unfair. #Justice4Cloak.

Then there's Swarm.

Okay then. Viper is kinda cool. Actually, really cool.

But I'm going to quote some words of wisdom from an anonymous player here:

Yeah I know she deals in poisons and advanced technology, but at the end of the day we all know she's going to be shooting people in the face. And unless they are adding John Wick to the game, that's not the most exciting thing around.

Then there's Black Tarantula.

Indeed. Then we have the choice most people probably think is the runaway favorite, Bub, I mean Blob. The Blob is a familiar champ, and a popular champ. But he's also basically a mutant cross between Kingpin and Juggernaut. How much space do you think exists between Kingpin and Juggernaut? You couldn't fit a quarter between those two. The Blob might win on name recognition alone, but that's no reason to vote for a champ. If he's going to win anyway, you should make your vote count and send a signal for who you really want in there. Voting for the obvious winner is just as meaningless as voting for the loser, except your vote doesn't even say anything else.

And then we have Ruby Thursday. What does Ruby Thursday have going for her?

On the one hand, she's female. As I said previously, we could use more female champions in the game.

On the other hand, she's named after a famous barbeque chain, and who doesn't like barbeque? Or possibly a song, but whatever.

On the third hand:

She's the closest thing we will likely ever get to adding a character from The Tick into the Marvel Universe. And I quote: "She ran for President of the United States as the candidate of the "Global Head" political party under the slogan `New heads for old'". Seriously.

And finally, we have this:

Over the years we've asked for super speed, shape shifting, and all sorts of other abilities, some we got and some we are still waiting for. This is our chance to get a floating head that attacks things (that isn't MODOK). Ruby Thursday can be the first champion that can attack with melee attacks from range. We might never get the fastball special we want, but we can get one all the same.

Vote Ruby Thursday. The only choice that lets us sprout arms out of our floating detached head and punch stuff. Need I say more?

Comments

• Savage123456789Savage123456789 Member Posts: 737 ★★★
    The same argument that we shouldn’t vote for blob for just name recognition, is the same reason we shouldn’t vote for Ruby just cause we might get some cool things that might never be added anyways, Blob all the way 😂 We had expectations on cool abilities gladiator might have based on his description and arguably it’s the same excitement as the anonymous quote about viper
  • PriyabrataPriyabrata Member Posts: 1,237 ★★★★

The same argument that we shouldn’t vote for blob for just name recognition, is the same reason we shouldn’t vote for Ruby just cause we might get some cool things that might never be added anyways, Blob all the way 😂 We had expectations on cool abilities gladiator might have based on his description and arguably it’s the same excitement as the anonymous quote about viper

If you watched the stream, Jax basically said her animations would be crazy because of her powers and abilities in the comics so it isn't a might, if she wins she will have cool animations (she's also Miike's favorite, he wouldn't let them do her dirty). So no, you're wrong.
    Now that you say it I do remember Mike saying everyone else other than her might just be defenders, I
    I'm still planning to split the votes but I'm leaning towards her a little more
    edited January 6

If you watched the stream, Jax basically said her animations would be crazy because of her powers and abilities in the comics so it isn't a might, if she wins she will have cool animations (she's also Miike's favorite, he wouldn't let them do her dirty). So no, you're wrong.
    Yes, but that was his opinion based on the comics, and like my comment said, what we have in the comics does not necessarily translate to in game. And I don’t think the devs have started working on these champs, they do that once the vote is done. And I’m pretty sure Jax and Miike are not champion designers, so what they said is mainly their opinion
  • ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,378 ★★★★★

Yes, but that was his opinion based on the comics, and like my comment said, what we have in the comics does not necessarily translate to in game. And I don’t think the devs have started working on these champs, they do that once the vote is done. And I’m pretty sure Jax and Miike are not champion designers, so what they said is mainly their opinion
    Whether it was their opinion or not doesn't change the fact we already have Kabam employees straight up saying her animations would be cool if she won. They aren't saying that to stir the pot, they're saying that because it's probably true otherwise what's the point of even saying it (they didn't say that for any of the other characters btw).
    That is incorrect, last year they announced a few parts of Gladiator's and White Tiger's kits in the finals, sure the kits weren't finished but they already had started working on their kits to a certain extent. So no, wrong again.
  • SolvseusSolvseus Member Posts: 118
    Lol, no.
    Yes, because they would say their animations suck? Is there any character that has come out that they haven’t praised the animations? That’s just kabam doing a good job releasing champs with awesome animations which can translate to any character including Blob. The synopsis of the characters that you just mention proves further that what we see is not what we get in terms of expectations , case in point gladiator. So would rather go for champ I want and get disappointed than go for something else and be disappointed. All to say, I’m not arguing that Ruby will suck, just arguing for blob the same way OP is arguing for Ruby, that’s all, I hope the tone of my comments were not taken as being combative or anything
  • hyp3r05hyp3r05 Member Posts: 82
    On one hand we have viper
    On the other we have blob
    Decisions are hard these days.
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Member Posts: 5,619 ★★★★★
    Emilia90 said:

Buttehrs said:

But I feel like half of 2023 champs were female? Nothing against it of course. Just feels like it underr the context of we need more female champs argument lol.

2023 had the most women so far, but I’m pretty sure that the ratio of men to women in the contest is still vastly uneven
    Its that way in comics in general. Meaning either marvel or kabam need to make new original female characters in general.

Bro really said tentacles:
  • HarryatomixHarryatomix Member Posts: 233 ★★
    DNA3000 said:

I know what you're going to say: you already know who the runaway winner is going to be in the Summoner's Choice 2024 vote. But just hear me out. Here's why I think Ruby Thursday is the right choice for the Battlerealm, the Contest, and yes, even you.

Let's start by looking at the competition. First there's Shathra. Shathra is female, and we could always use more female champions. But she's also a Spider-something or other, and we have tons of those. Let's take a look at her powers:

Superhuman Strength
    Superhuman Speed
    Superhuman Stamina
    Superhuman Durability
    Superhuman Agility
    Superhuman Reflexes
    Immortality
    Flight
    Shapeshifting
    Teleportation
    Claws & Stingers
    Wasp-Totem Creation

Seriously: super smell? We're not getting all of that. We're not getting any of that. Whatever subset you think we're getting out of that, we're not getting that. This is a character ripe for disappointment. You think we're getting an immortal flying brick teleporter with regeneration? We'll be lucky to get super smell.

Next we have the Beetle. Or rather, *a* Beetle. But which Beetle? The Marvel wiki lists a bunch of them:

Abner Jenkins
    Leila Davis
    Janice Lincoln
    Elizabeth Vaughn
    Gary Quinn
    Janice Jones
    Janice Lincoln
    Joachim Robichaux
    Maso Katoro
    Ultimate Beetle
    Unnamed Criminal

Yes, one of the Beetles listed in the Marvel wiki is literally "unnamed criminal." There have been so many Beetles in Marvel comics they can't keep track of them all. Voting for the Beetle is like asking Kabam to add that guy you remember being on the Avengers that one time:

Then there's Shriek. I have nothing against Shriek per se, but Shriek gets her powers in part from being exposed to the Cloak dimension. we don't even have Cloak and Dagger in the game yet. That seems a bit unfair. #Justice4Cloak.

Then there's Swarm.

Yeah I know she deals in poisons and advanced technology, but at the end of the day we all know she's going to be shooting people in the face. And unless they are adding John Wick to the game, that's not the most exciting thing around.

Indeed. Then we have the choice most people probably think is the runaway favorite, Bub, I mean Blob. The Blob is a familiar champ, and a popular champ. But he's also basically a mutant cross between Kingpin and Juggernaut. How much space do you think exists between Kingpin and Juggernaut? You couldn't fit a quarter between those two. The Blob might win on name recognition alone, but that's no reason to vote for a champ. If he's going to win anyway, you should make your vote count and send a signal for who you really want in there. Voting for the obvious winner is just as meaningless as voting for the loser, except your vote doesn't even say anything else.

On the one hand, she's female. As I said previously, we could use more female champions in the game.

On the other hand, she's named after a famous barbeque chain, and who doesn't like barbeque? Or possibly a song, but whatever.

On the third hand:

She's the closest thing we will likely ever get to adding a character from The Tick into the Marvel Universe. And I quote: "She ran for President of the United States as the candidate of the "Global Head" political party under the slogan `New heads for old'". Seriously.

Over the years we've asked for super speed, shape shifting, and all sorts of other abilities, some we got and some we are still waiting for. This is our chance to get a floating head that attacks things (that isn't MODOK). Ruby Thursday can be the first champion that can attack with melee attacks from range. We might never get the fastball special we want, but we can get one all the same.

Vote Ruby Thursday. The only choice that lets us sprout arms out of our floating detached head and punch stuff. Need I say more?

More female champs is good, but we are getting a lot of female champs these days. What we are not getting is mutant champs. So the real champs we should be rooting for are blob and shriek. Hell shriek will be female mutant. What more do you want ?

DNA3000 said:

Superhuman Strength
    Superhuman Speed
    Superhuman Stamina
    Superhuman Durability
    Superhuman Agility
    Superhuman Reflexes
    Immortality
    Flight
    Shapeshifting
    Teleportation
    Claws & Stingers
    Wasp-Totem Creation

Abner Jenkins
    Leila Davis
    Janice Lincoln
    Elizabeth Vaughn
    Gary Quinn
    Janice Jones
    Janice Lincoln
    Joachim Robichaux
    Maso Katoro
    Ultimate Beetle
    Unnamed Criminal

Then there's Swarm.

On the third hand:

More female champs is good, but we are getting a lot of female champs these days. What we are not getting is mutant champs. So the real champs we should be rooting for are blob and shriek. Hell shriek will be female mutant. What more do you want ?
    We got two mutants last year so not true.
    Anyways, the main argument here for me though is that neither Shriek nor Blob will have animations as good as Ruby's. They can have really cool animations for sure but there's a limit, Ruby being able to detach her head and do literally whatever she wants with it from turning it into a machine gun to blowing it up into pieces means the sky is the limit when it comes to animations and that for me is more than enough to make want her in the game more than the other two.
  • SagaChampionSagaChampion Member Posts: 1,277 ★★★

• I_tell_no_tales_1I_tell_no_tales_1 Member Posts: 1,198 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Superhuman Strength
    Superhuman Speed
    Superhuman Stamina
    Superhuman Durability
    Superhuman Agility
    Superhuman Reflexes
    Immortality
    Flight
    Shapeshifting
    Teleportation
    Claws & Stingers
    Wasp-Totem Creation

Abner Jenkins
    Leila Davis
    Janice Lincoln
    Elizabeth Vaughn
    Gary Quinn
    Janice Jones
    Janice Lincoln
    Joachim Robichaux
    Maso Katoro
    Ultimate Beetle
    Unnamed Criminal

Then there's Swarm.

On the third hand:

Idk man I feel like I will vote for Viper just cause of the image you put up here
    I can't resist...
  • QmonQmon Member Posts: 20
    Imma vote Ruby since as someone above said, most of the ballot choices would be defenders aside from her. I need attackers not defenders.
    Although kinda tempted to give a vote to Beetle for Unnamed Criminal lmao