Options

Winter of Woe Community Chat [MERGED THREADS]

Comments

• Options
    Suros_moonSuros_moon Posts: 455 ★★★
    Logan00 said:

I soloed with a r1 7 star sandman as well as a r3 6 star she hulk. Ive been practicing the guillotine 2099 run but even with a perfect run (0 healing all re-parries landed) she doesnt have the health to solo it. I did 84% in one run but the solo is insanely tight for a r1 7 stat

Can you do the dash-in with She-hulk? Otherwise which strategy you used?
    I used the dash in. I dashed back as he was standing which usually made him throw sp1 so I dashed back a second time to avoid, then dashed in for spacing and heavy chained him in corner until I needed to place petrify or bait another special. Biggest thing is always prioritize furies. The easiest way to lose is worrying too much about the regen and allowing them to fall off. You cant really get 100% petrify uptime but the few ticks that get through start to become easily outdone by the damage as you reach 20-30 furies. You do need a little cooperation and have to correct in a few instances but its relatively safe
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,699 Guardian
    jdschw said:

Kabam Jax said:

Summoners aren't meant to get high rewards for literally nothing. (don't say time; that isn't a relevant resource in the game's economical balance).

I find this to be a fascinating observation.
    @Kabam Jax if this is true, then why do arenas exist?

As far as I can tell, the purpose of arenas is to give players a way to trade time for resources. As long as you're winning most of your fights, arenas don't cost any in-game resource. It just costs time.

Of course, arenas don't have "high rewards". So maybe player time *is* an implied resource - just, one with low value in the game's economy.

(Please understand, i intend no malice here. This post is not sarcastic. I just saw this quote and it really got me thinking about the value of our time in this game.)
    Jax is not a game economy designer and was speaking colloquially about this specific situation, and overgeneralized.

The more complex and nuanced issue relates to game balance, and what it even is. Most people talk about game balance like it is a thing, but it actually refers to relationships between things. A thing can’t be balanced, it can only be balanced against other things.

The arena is intended to be a grinding activity that rewards time spent. Skill plays a role, but it is a relatively minor role. Optimal play in the arena might increase your rewards by 50% compared to the average case, but there’s no way to, say, use skill to triple your rewards, or increase them by a factor of ten. Skill is not a major balancing factor in the arena, so its influence is deliberately muted.

Challenge content like the so-called Everest content is designed to be the opposite. The goal is to provide a skill hurdle for rewards. No amount of time is intended to “earn” anything. The arena is designed to allow players to trade their time for arena rewards. Winter of Woe is not designed to trade time for its rewards. So the answer to the question “shouldn’t I get something for the time I spend in Winter of Woe” is no. Just like the answer to the question “shouldn’t I get a lot more rewards in the arena if I am a lot more skilled” is also, no.

And the answer to the question “well, why can’t everything be dependent on time and skill” the answer is, to radically simplify a completely different subject, because there’s no valid exchange relationship between the two. It takes a certain amount of skill to become the top finisher in Battlegrounds or Alliance War. How much time corresponds to that level of skill, such that if I spend more time than that the game should consider me to have expended more effort to reach those goals? There is no answer to that question. And that’s true, at least for this game and these developers, for lots of other rewards. There’s no amount of time that equates to the effort required to become Valiant, or to earn a T4A, or gain an Abyss Nexus. Grinding for rewards, ala the arena, is a special case situation the devs carefully regulate, where they have decided that this much time equals this much rewards.

Every thing in the game has a complex set of balance relationships between them that correspond to how the game values them in different circumstances. But that doesn’t mean you can just trade anything for anything else. Those exchange opportunities are limited. And player time is similarly limited; it can’t be traded for stuff arbitrarily, The arena, and other grinding opportunities, are the exchange portal for player time. And for that matter, so is cash. Cash also cannot be arbitrarily traded for things on the game. It is the game stores that are the portal to exchange cash for certain in-game things, including units.

Unfortunately, this can open an indefinite descending Matryoshka doll of issues. Why are exchange opportunities limited? Availability distributions. Why are those the way they are? Player behavioral range accommodation. Game economy discussions are never simple, and wading into them is hazardous territory, even at the best of times. And these are not the best of times.
  • Options
    KaspyKaspy Posts: 161 ★★★
    When is the extra point for completion supposed to be sent out?
  • Options
    SaltE_Wenis69SaltE_Wenis69 Posts: 1,992 ★★★★

jdschw said:

DNA3000 said:

The arena is intended to be a grinding activity that rewards time spent. Skill plays a role, but it is a relatively minor role. Optimal play in the arena might increase your rewards by 50% compared to the average case, but there’s no way to, say, use skill to triple your rewards, or increase them by a factor of ten. Skill is not a major balancing factor in the arena, so its influence is deliberately muted.

Challenge content like the so-called Everest content is designed to be the opposite. The goal is to provide a skill hurdle for rewards. No amount of time is intended to “earn” anything. The arena is designed to allow players to trade their time for arena rewards. Winter of Woe is not designed to trade time for its rewards. So the answer to the question “shouldn’t I get something for the time I spend in Winter of Woe” is no. Just like the answer to the question “shouldn’t I get a lot more rewards in the arena if I am a lot more skilled” is also, no.

I appreciate your detailed response to my question @DNA3000! Since we're talking about the WoW content here, there's one detail of your response that I want to dive in on.

I understand your assertion that the WoW content is supposed to reward skill instead of time. But, while the relationship between skill and time is fuzzy and imperfect (as you pointed out), there is one thing that is clear: skill takes *practice*. Practically doesn't automatically lead to skill, but there is basically no way to achieve skill without practice.

If this fight had a minimal energy cost, it would encourage practice, which could lead to improving the skill of the players. If a player practices this fight enough to win it, that doesn't mean they got something "for free". It means they have improved their skill level to the point where they now have the skill to beat this fight, and then they are rewarded for their newly developed skill, just as you said.

Having tried this fight several times (and spent several energy refills to do so), the conclusion I've drawn is that this energy cost discourages practice. Either you are already skilled enough that you can do the fight without much specific practice, or you're better off just skipping this fight entirely and saving those resources for other activities.

So, for me personally, the design of this fight, along with the cost, basically discourage me from wanting to even attempt it. That means I don't practice, I don't get better, and I will take longer to achieve that skill level (if I ever do). That, in turn, makes me a little less engaged in this game.
    This is the problem for me. When half the Champs you attempt to 2-8% Damage before you die, and you know he's going to heal it back, you don't even have motivation to Revive and keep trying. Then you get a good 18-20% or more down, and die from one hit, and then you lose the will to keep trying.

(Sorry everyone. Just spent two full Energy making attempts and I'm on one.)
    who are u using? Maybe we can help it sounds like u fuming
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,266 ★★★★★

jdschw said:

DNA3000 said:

I appreciate your detailed response to my question @DNA3000! Since we're talking about the WoW content here, there's one detail of your response that I want to dive in on.

I understand your assertion that the WoW content is supposed to reward skill instead of time. But, while the relationship between skill and time is fuzzy and imperfect (as you pointed out), there is one thing that is clear: skill takes *practice*. Practically doesn't automatically lead to skill, but there is basically no way to achieve skill without practice.

If this fight had a minimal energy cost, it would encourage practice, which could lead to improving the skill of the players. If a player practices this fight enough to win it, that doesn't mean they got something "for free". It means they have improved their skill level to the point where they now have the skill to beat this fight, and then they are rewarded for their newly developed skill, just as you said.

Having tried this fight several times (and spent several energy refills to do so), the conclusion I've drawn is that this energy cost discourages practice. Either you are already skilled enough that you can do the fight without much specific practice, or you're better off just skipping this fight entirely and saving those resources for other activities.

So, for me personally, the design of this fight, along with the cost, basically discourage me from wanting to even attempt it. That means I don't practice, I don't get better, and I will take longer to achieve that skill level (if I ever do). That, in turn, makes me a little less engaged in this game.
    This is the problem for me. When half the Champs you attempt to 2-8% Damage before you die, and you know he's going to heal it back, you don't even have motivation to Revive and keep trying. Then you get a good 18-20% or more down, and die from one hit, and then you lose the will to keep trying.

I've tried Void. I've tried Warlock. I've tried Shulk. I've tried Overseer. I've tried Photon (Heal Block comes easy with her but you're screwed if you get hit.). I've tried Shang Chi. On and on. Every Champ I can think of. The Fight is unnecessarily narrow IMO.
  • Options
    PROG73PROG73 Posts: 68
    Can someone please confirm the math for me based on what has been said?

I am valiant and have managed to do the gamma objective - overseer was all I had and it was painful. Can I still get to the top milestone based on what kabam have said about the extra point and also the grace point for the objective with deathless guillotine? Also when do we get the additional point- I show as having only 2 so far.

Thanks
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,699 Guardian
    jdschw said:

DNA3000 said:

You’re more or less making the same argument I made to the devs, give or take. But this isn’t an argument so much as it is a value judgment.

Entry costs make two distinct things more expensive that are difficult to untangle. “Practice” and “repetition.” All practice is repetition, but not all repetition is practice. For example, some players might enter over and over not explicitly with the intent to get better, although that could happen incidentally, but just to “get a good run.” Keep resetting every time you make a mistake and hope to get a mistake free run. It doesn’t have to be a solo, it could be just a really strong run.

So the counter point, which I believe more or less encapsulates the devs position (although I cannot speak for them, this is my own interpretation of it), is that low cost entry enables and rewards repetition too much, and they value mitigating that highly. They feel the higher cost balances the need to restrict repetition without curtailing practice too much, given the very high cost they assign to allowing low cost repetition.

That does not represent my values, but I don’t design Everest content. I’m just acknowledging what I believe their position is.
  • Options
    PROG73 said:

Can someone please confirm the math for me based on what has been said?

I am valiant and have managed to do the gamma objective - overseer was all I had and it was painful. Can I still get to the top milestone based on what kabam have said about the extra point and also the grace point for the objective with deathless guillotine? Also when do we get the additional point- I show as having only 2 so far.

Thanks

You should be fine. Valiant had one grace anyway to start.
  • Options
    SaltE_Wenis69SaltE_Wenis69 Posts: 1,992 ★★★★

jdschw said:

DNA3000 said:

I've tried Void. I've tried Warlock. I've tried Shulk. I've tried Overseer. I've tried Photon (Heal Block comes easy with her but you're screwed if you get hit.). I've tried Shang Chi. On and on. Every Champ I can think of. The Fight is unnecessarily narrow IMO.
    Are you going for objectives or are u just trying to beat him? If your just trying to rinse him it opens it up to sooo many more possibilities, u can try champs like qs, doom, etc. If not then try warlock again for #robots (5 revives) and sandstorm (1 revive I just didn't wanna waste 10 energy). For # gamma u can either try hulk or ig keep practicing with shulk. Thats my last objective cuz I don't got either as a 6 or 7*, so the most I've gotten him down to is 64% with 5* shulk :#
  • Options

jdschw said:

DNA3000 said:

Are you going for objectives or are u just trying to beat him? If your just trying to rinse him it opens it up to sooo many more possibilities, u can try champs like qs, doom, etc. If not then try warlock again for #robots (5 revives) and sandstorm (1 revive I just didn't wanna waste 10 energy). For # gamma u can either try hulk or ig keep practicing with shulk. Thats my last objective cuz I don't got either as a 6 or 7*, so the most I've gotten him down to is 64% with 5* shulk :#
    Yeah, all I have is an R2 6* Shulk and a Max 5* Hulk. As far as anyone, no QS. 5* Doom, etc. It's unforgiving.