**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Meatballs Make Money! Revenue per completed end game fight. A question for Kabam, preferably Crashed

This morning I'm taking the time that I could've had to further attempt the Sinister Six objective in winter of Woe to give sincere feedback about some statements that have been made on live streams and forum posts by Kabam employees. (BTW, big fan of all of you!)

When Woe was announced we were told that the game "needs" certain things to be healthy. As a business owner, with employees, and customers to look after myself. I completely understand that. We were also told that we shouldn't expect to receive end game rewards for doing nothing. Also, totally understandable. We were told to expect five energy per step on a one fight quest. When there were two steps I think many of us just sort of laughed out loud. Jax is a clever wordsmith, you got us, no problem, ten energy it is.

Personally, with that sort of energy spend, I'm going to wait and see how KT, Lags, MSD, etc, approach the content. I'll study up and fight the fight in week two.

Before I go any further I'd like to share some details about my account. I'm a Valiant player who completed one path of Necro and purchased deals to earn the title right away. I then explored Necro by the end of the year. I love this game and it has become a big portion of my "entertainment budget". I'm very much a "free to pay" player and spend thousands of dollars on this game annually. To be honest, I don't really spend to get ahead. I spend because it enhances my fun in the game. I'm in a chill alliance and don't push very hard in PVP game modes. Except for Banquet, I was rank 258 there.

This brings us back to week two of winter of woe and my attempts. Personally, I have good options for all of the objectives.
7* R2 Hulk for Gamma
7* R1 Sandman for Sinister Six
7* R2 Guillotine 2099 for Robots

In addition to having good counters I have 20,000+ units and I've also been very diligent about making sure I have an overflowing stash of consumables. Additionally, I purchased 90% of the Valentines offers for the romance consumables.

I really can't express my level of excitement going into this year of challenges starting with Woe. I had honestly never been more excited about the game and so many of the things that are coming. Is it going to be difficult? Of course, but that is part of the rewarding process that I love about this game.

However, after starting to work on the gamma objective this just felt different. Seven full energy refills gone in less than 30 minutes. Now, I already know what many of you will reply here with "SKILL ISSUE". Guess what? You're right! It is a skill issue. I'm not good enough to solo that fight and will not be working towards it. But I would like to work on my "SKILL ISSUE" to get it down with less than my whole stash.....

But that brings us back to the energy cost doesn't it? We all approach this game differently. I can appreciate how hard it is to design around that. Some people will practice all day to get a solo and without the energy cost you didn't receive any form of "revenue" from that player. Other than their time. Which we've also been told does not factor into the MCOC economy. I might have to disagree with this sentiment because I just got the newest 6* Champion out of the arena for nothing but my time.... It feels like of all things MCOC should be like Ikea meatballs. It doesn't make you money BUT it makes you money.

So ultimately, it feels like Kabam wants a certain amount of guaranteed "revenue" from every player when they complete or maybe even attempt an "end game" fight in this event.

Is that fair? Absolutely!

You can do whatever you want. But, understand that these sorts of decisions change how I, and I'm sure many FEEL about the game. The fight itself is punishing, the energy cost is punishing, the farming needed to complete the content is punishing. By the time I was finally ready to attempt the final objectives I realized something. I'm not having any fun and I don't care anymore.

In closing, all content is optional and I get that. For the first time in a long time I think this content will be optional for me. My question would be, how long do you think it takes for all of the Odin's vaults, black panthers treasures, early access bundles, daily cards, daily specials, summoner sigils and so much more to also become optional for me if this is how I'm feeling about the content? It's a sincere question. Is creating hundreds of dollars in energy revenue worth losing thousands of dollars in other revenue?

It really doesn't feel good to players when they hear they aren't skilled enough take on certain content. When you then charge them a premium to work on those skills it feels as bad as I've felt doing anything in this game, and unfortunately I've broken many things over this game. You really outdid yourself here.

P.S. I don't even want to think about how this impacts low spenders or god forbid free to play.

Comments

• Options
    ChildofkrakoaChildofkrakoa Posts: 14
    @Vanitelia Exactly. Managing energy prior to WoW was difficult but I didn't mind buying energy refills here or there. I spent a few hundred units every month on refills. To me that seems reasonable considering I want to do most things. Spending a couple weeks worth of energy refills in no time at all felt terrible. And that was with my Hulk for the gamma objective (a champion I regularly use). I was lucky to have 7* Sandman but had never used him outside of arenas. I just didn't gravitate to him. So I knew the practice bill on that objective was going to be even worse. After 50+ sub thirty second fights it just didn't seem worth it. This after spending whole days on Necro.

Ironically, VIV is my favorite Champion in the game and I would've loved to mess around with her in the fight but once I didn't need the objective I couldn't justify the energy.
  • Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,185 ★★★★★
    5ra said:

I watched YouTubers instead of learning the WoW fights in game. It's too punishing with 10 energy per attempt. I'd much rather play the game and learn these fights myself, but I also hate the feeling of being punished for practicing. Was able to get all 3 requirements, but definitely a lot less fun than EoP and it feels like a chore.

For a long while almost everything in this game feels like a chore. Do this insane challenge that lacks any semblance of fun so you can get some virtual doodads so you can rank up your champs and then do an even harder challenge for more doodads. Lather, rinse, repeat. Boring.

I have studied gamification theory, and it feels like Kabam is stuck on the FOMO stage ("you gotta do WoW/buy this rank up deal/grind BGs/etc., or else you'll miss out on what other players are getting"). That's pretty much the only driver in this game right now. Again, boring.

It's a beautifully designed game, and impressive from a software design POV even with the bugs. But it feels driven by Kabam's economics to the point where, for me at least, I dread having to log in.
  • Options
    Squirrelguy Thank you for all of that!!! Oh my gosh. I can't express how much this thread turned out exactly how I wanted it to be. (Fingers Crossed) There is plenty of "actionable, constructive criticism" here that Kabam could run with. You aren't going to make money on every account. You signed up for that as a free to play mobile game. However, there is a very committed player base that you you earn a great deal of revenue from. You want to make more money? I would advise you to get more creative with offers. I'll give you money for offers that enhance my fun in the game. Hell, keep the awful fights the way they are in WoW and I'll pay with consumables. I just refuse to buy all of the offers, web store bundles that I do, pay with revives and health, AND THEN STILL PAY with energy because I will never have the skill to work towards a one shot even though I'm valiant and play with the highest power levels in the game. At least not on a fight like this.
  • Options
    M0NKEYNUTSM0NKEYNUTS Posts: 90
    edited February 21
    I am Valiant and 9+ yr player. As frustrating as this game can get (I have broken 3 iphones from MCOC induced gamer rage), I still do not make any demands or ultimatums where I threaten to stop being pay to play or quit the game. I am too addicted and have no willpower. Every time I see these kind of threads, even ones as eloquently as worded as this one, I chuckle and wonder if TS is as powerless as me in setting the game down.

I imagine for every person who actually does truly stop paying or quit for good, there are many more who continue trudging along because we are plugged in and can never escape.
  • Options
    JefechutaJefechuta Posts: 1,205 ★★★★
    I personally enjoyed the fight, its amazing how hard it was, had to do like 50 tries overall to be able to beat him, got something like @Squirrelguy , Got him near 30% with She-Hulk, 2 revives and done, couldnt solo due to some random A.I. recovery interactions, but still; I only wasted 60 units on refills, not too much since thats just 2 and half days of 22h Solo events so...

But yeah, personally I found the fight enjoyable due to the amount of concentration and how difficult it was, and how skill restrictive it was aswell, since you have to intercept, punish properly, dont block, be careful with the unstoppable buffs and your own debuffs so he cannot regen or go unstop; BUT, this is not worth the rewards, I mean, this could be easily a Valiant Special Side Quest Boss fight that rewards half a 7*, or maybe a whole one, some T6CCats, a 6* Relic, etc, only by beating this guy with the required champs.

But for a single fight of this whole yearly event that only gives you 3 points of the whole bunch of points you need for the decent rewards? Nuh-uh

I hope the next fights are equivalent to the rewards, not this excessive overtune of an already hard defender.

P.S.: Really enjoyed both @Squirrelguy and @Childofkrakoa posts
  • Options
    jcphillips7jcphillips7 Posts: 1,035 ★★★
    edited February 21

I am Valiant and 9+ yr player. As frustrating as this game can get (I have broken 3 iphones from MCOC induced gamer rage), I still do not make any demands or ultimatums where I threaten to stop being pay to play or quit the game. I am too addicted and have no willpower. Every time I see these kind of threads, even ones as eloquently as worded as this one, I chuckle and wonder if TS is as powerless as me in setting the game down.

I imagine for every person who actually does truly stop paying or quit for good, there are many more who continue trudging along because we are plugged in and can never escape.

I do wonder what some of these other people do; the ones who have made MCOC a face for themselves (multiple YTbers). I'm well aware these people probably have everyday lives and stuff, but if the game were to just close down today, what other things would they move on to? Me for example, I've got a mile long backlog of PS5 games to play, but I don't think I would gravitate towards another mobile game. I can't say the same for some others. I feel they 'need' that fix, especially ones whose entire channels revolve around the game.
  • Options
    M0NKEYNUTS I totally agree with everything you said here. I'm sure our addiction levels are comparable lol. I have no plans to quit, I don't want to, I'd probably even spend more money. But, if the things that the game is centered around feels so bad I'll just do something else in game. The question is if I go and do something else does Kabam make as much money?

If I decide to grind Champs out of arenas rather than getting the bundle because I'm not spending time on WoW.... Again, not a threat. I'm going to play the game, but if I change the way in which I do so that also changes the demands on my account. If I don't spend time on WoW, I'm probably not going to need those weekly revive refresh web store bundles that I purchased on four of my necro runs and other occasions. In no way am I threatening to not be a customer but I just know how I'll adjust if things feel bad like this. I want to chase the bleeding edge but I need to not feel like I'd rather clock back into work than fight this Abs Man. This needs to be fun on some level and the energy cost destroys that for me.
  • Options
    EgyptOverseerEgyptOverseer Posts: 237
    Great reads. If only Kabam read it too...
  • Options
    Grub88Grub88 Posts: 195 ★★
    I mean the only way they will listen is everyone stops forking out money for stuff. I did my part 6 months ago just waiting for everyone else to join in. This is the only game I have ever played where the developers actually design content to encourage spending (not saying they don't exist) most other games I play spending only gives you an aesthetic advantage over non spenders. From what I have read and seen on youtube the bulk of revenue would come from there store offers anyway so it is very confusing why they continue to drive this narrative that energy and revives are there main income generator. They are the ones with the data so they should know, Ill believe it when I see the data for myself.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,687 Guardian

So ultimately, it feels like Kabam wants a certain amount of guaranteed "revenue" from every player when they complete or maybe even attempt an "end game" fight in this event.

How do you square your feeling that Kabam wants guaranteed revenue from every player when most players don't spend? On average, only 5% of players spend on the mobile games they play, and it is unlikely MCOC is exceptional in that regard.

Most people seem to assume that the free to play players (gasp) are a tiny minority of people the game relegates to some ghetto. But they are almost all the players, and they exist at essentially every progression tier.

The fundamental operating principle of all massively multiplayer microtransaction supported free to play games is, more or less, let everyone play for free, and they will sort themselves into a hierarchy based on game play. And then let those willing to spend climb to the higher rungs they wish they could get to and they see their friends reach.

No content is designed to force players to spend. If they wanted to force players to spend, they would charge a subscription fee. Every piece of content, from Woe to Necropolis to Gauntlet to Proven monthly EQ sorts the players into those that can do it, those that cannot do it at all, and those who could do it with a little help. Five percent of those players will spend to buy themselves some help.

Every piece of content makes someone feel bad for not being able to do it. Proven EQ causes more people to quit than Winter of Woe, simply because multiple orders of magnitude of people encounter Proven. Something to think about. The difficulty of the 5.2 Collector almost certainly causes more pain than Winter of Woe Abs Man simply by virtue of pure numbers. How would you address that? Is that something you would address?
  • Options
    klobberintymeklobberintyme Posts: 1,429 ★★★★
    I'm a big picture guy. Here's the big picture.

Here's MCOC(Kabam) in Netmarble's portfolio for 2023 q4:

Here's the current slate of Kabam offerings:

MCOC revenue needs to offset as much as it can for Kabam to justify these offerings (and it's existence in a way) which, as seen above, don't crack the top 10 but cost big bucks to develop.

See the trio below?

The highlighted company, SpinX, accounts for 3 of the top 10 and a combined 4% more than MCOC. The kicker? They cost a fraction of what Kabam spends on MCOC, and since there's no Disney cut, they're way more profitable for Netmarble.

So, how much revenue does Kabam need from every player in MCOC? Twice as much as it's currently getting, from Netmarble's perspective.
  • Options
    Crcrcrc said:

DNA3000 said:

Grub88 said:

DNA3000 said:

How do you square your feeling that Kabam wants guaranteed revenue from every player when most players don't spend? On average, only 5% of players spend on the mobile games they play, and it is unlikely MCOC is exceptional in that regard.
    Do you have data to support your 5%?
    I have several data points. First, the industry averages are publicly available: I'm not going to Google search them all. Different sources specify different numbers under different circumstances: I've read dozens of such sources, and they all converge on about 5%. But here's an article that covers the subject: https://brightblack.co/blog/2018/12/10/player-to-payer-why-f2p-conversion-rate-is-so-important-to-your-games-success

Now, MCOC could be exceptional. And there are other studies that show other conversion rates for other games. I've never been told exactly precisely what the MCOC conversion rate actually is, and I wouldn't be able to say if I was. However, I was once told that MCOC was not a wild outlier relative to the industry, and I don't think that's especially sensitive information. Maybe they only convert 2% of their players into spenders. Maybe they are really great at it and convert 15% of their players into spenders. 5% is a reasonable proxy for the number, because no number anywhere near it would change the discussion much.
    I really don’t want to be that guy but that source doesn’t have any actual studies backing it up, and across the internet I found numbers ranging from 1%-25% for it. Do you have a direct link to where that figure came from? I’m curious about it.
    Almost no individual company just comes out and says here, these are our monetization numbers, because that’s sensitive strategic information. You only get these numbers from attending conferences, watching industry presentations, and talking to people.

If you want some specific data point that allows you to determine what this is for any particular company by simple reference, I’m afraid no such thing exists. At least not that I’ve seen.
  • Options
    Stature said:

DNA3000 said:

Reading OP's post, I think the compliant was regarding the energy cost for the fight and the restrictions it places on practicing the fight. "Revenue" is in quotes and they specifically mention energy costs multiple times in the post. In context of the whole post, it is pretty clear they are not suggesting that the team expects every player to make a cash purchase to get through WoW.
    That’s not how I read it, because immediately prior the OP (mis)quotes Kabam statements about the value of time. They clearly state that they were fine spending time to work on this kind of content, but restricting such practice with high energy costs translates into spending money, or at least the pressure to spend money, because if it translated into pressure to do anything else, that would itself be comparable to spending time again.

In fact, the OP comes right out and says it later in the post: “is creating hundreds of dollars in energy revenue worth losing thousands of dollars in other revenue?” That is unambiguous.
  • Options
    KoiBoy18KoiBoy18 Posts: 312 ★★★

The second thing we identified that we didn’t think was working was the completely riskless entry to the quests. Players could enter the quests hundreds of times, get knocked out hundreds of times, and there was zero jeopardy involved. To us this was very strange. It should be consequential when a champion gets knocked out in end game content, and in EOP it just wasn’t a lot of the time.

First, many thanks for sharing a peek behind the strategic curtain; you're never required to share with us but doing so creates a much more vibrant discussion and community engagement (even if some if that engagement is from complaints).

I have never made an actual suggestion to Kabam before (I'm no @DNA3000 with actual game changing input!) but have one to proffer now having read both player and your feedback:

Can you possibly implement WoW Duel tokens like you do for regular Duel tokens today? This would let everyone have 5 (or whatever number you want) practices per day to learn mechanics of the fight without huge energy costs.

But it would let you keep the 5 energy cost and desired risk design of being KOed as players would still need to perform well in the actual fight. Hopefully this approach also let us you use existing Duel token programming so a WOW token system wouldn't require programming from scratch.

Intended result? Players are given a controlled number of practice runs but still require energy use in actual fight if they choose to keep quitting the fight over and over

Thanks again for sharing your decision making process. It means a lot to the community!
  • Options
    World EaterWorld Eater Posts: 3,573 ★★★★★
    Very insightful response from John /Crash.

Appreciate the response. And yes, it’s an awful feeling to throw away handfuls of energy refills and get nothing accomplished. The energy cost wouldn’t be as big of an issue if the first WoW wasn’t so punishing.
  • Options
    VaniteliaVanitelia Posts: 310 ★★★
    @Childofkrakoa Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I really enjoyed Crashed's response as well. Thorough and had a ton of insight there. Glad you guys came to your senses with the entry ticket idea. That would have rained down fire and brimstone on the game team if we're being honest.

Week 2 felt different...definitely more in like with SoP last year. The enjoyable part was that there are a ton of counters and it wasn't nearly as restrictive as Week 1. My point is that when the nodes/fight design feel good, the cost of energy/consumables doesn't factor in as much...Play the fight well, and you get through it. Don't, and you get punished either by needing more practice (energy) or using potions/revives.