Mystique: How Her Abilities Should Look Like

Archit_1812Archit_1812 Member Posts: 463 ★★
Shapeshifter Modes
Mystique copies the opponents class as her primary mode and cycles through these modes. Landing 2 heavy attacks in a row changes her Shapeshift mode. Her replication powers imbibe the base characteristics and the special attacks in each class!
Skill: In Skill mode, Mystique gains a Combo Shield for 5 seconds. This is removed sooner if the opponent lands 3 hits. For any debuff landed on Mystique in Skill Mode, she has a 30% chance to purify it.
SP1: Black Widow SP1
SP2: Nick Fury SP2
Mutant: Mystique’s abilities increase in their potency, ability accuracy and duration in this mode. She gains a non-stacking passive Boost Buff, given to her by the Brotherhood of Mutants. If Skill Defenders purify a stun debuff from the Parry Mastery, land a Passive Stun for 1 second.
Tech: Mystique is weakened by technology and gains a passive Weakness debuff till the next mode. To compensate for this weakness, she inflicts an Incinerate Debuff dealing half her attack rating as damage over 3 seconds.
SP1: Iron Man SP1
SP2: Ghost SP2
Cosmic: The Cosmic Class grants Mystique an indefinite, non-stacking Aptitude Buff increasing the potency of her buffs by 30%, and their duration by 50%.
SP1: Angela SP1
SP2: Hulkling SP2
Mystic: Gains a Nullification Aura Passive for 10 seconds, which has a 50% chance to Nullify buffs on her opponent upon successfully landing a hit. For each buff Mystique nullifies, she deals an energy burst of over

Comments

• TerraTerra Member Posts: 8,320 ★★★★★
    Buttehrs said:

Actually what power even is she going to have? A gun like fury? Cause as far as I'm aware she has NO OFFENSIVE ABILITIES, she can only shapeshift to look like others that is not a skill set for combat

Extremely proficient in martial arts. Can also copy fighting styles but not the special abilities.
    She's similar to TaskMaster.
    Just because they can *copy* how to do something, they cannot exactly do it.
    Power Copying and Appearance Copying is vastly different.
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Member Posts: 5,622 ★★★★★
    Terra said:

Buttehrs said:

Actually what power even is she going to have? A gun like fury? Cause as far as I'm aware she has NO OFFENSIVE ABILITIES, she can only shapeshift to look like others that is not a skill set for combat

Extremely proficient in martial arts. Can also copy fighting styles but not the special abilities.
    I said she can't copy abilities. Only fighting styles and obviously appearances lol.
  • Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Member Posts: 3,228 ★★★★★
    She's basically a mutant Black Widow.

You want someone with combo-platter superpowers, you want either Mimic, a different iteration of Rogue or a different Super-Skrull.

Hell, Mimic would be easier to do; Angel's wings and Beast's enlarged hands and feet on the basic model, Cyclops' optic blast for a SP2 and Iceman's ice attacks on SP2 and some telekinetic stuff from Marvel Girl on SP3. Easy-peasy.
  • captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Member Posts: 8,110 ★★★★★
    Buttehrs said:

Also she works with computer and stuff very well for her times.
  • phil56201phil56201 Member Posts: 986 ★★★
    I think a solution would be utilizing her shape changing powers in offensive ways.

In the comics she can form defensive armor or change her limbs into weapons like clawed fingers/toes, tendrils, and even morphed her head into a large jaw with teeth.

Sort of how Apocalypse uses his powers, but on a more limited scale- i.e. she can't form into energy weapons or any mechanical devices.
  • RookiieRookiie Member Posts: 4,821 ★★★★★
    It is impressive that you framed this kit’s rotation in your mind and legibly expressed how it would (not) function and where it would fail. @DNA3000

Frankly speaking, I don’t know where to start.
  • UsagicassidyUsagicassidy Member Posts: 1,303 ★★★★
    I've said this in a thread before, but in order for the game to properly handle her as a character, if she 'changed forms' for, like her specials, they'd have to be set forms that were always the same. Her changing form could result in her changing size and could place things like Disorient or Whiplash on the defender.

I thought it would be cool if she shape shifted into other mutants who would maybe never make it into the game. Sp1 she could transform into someone small like Puck or Leech. Sp2 someone massive like Strong Guy or ya know... Blob lol. Sp3 she could just keep changing shape while attacking the defender.

This would still require a lof of work for the game team to develop the character BUT it's the only way they'd be able to implement this character by having 'fixed' shape-shifting.

In fighting video games, Mystique almost always is just a "person with a big gun" character. Which honestly I love. You could have her "big gun" be made by Forge so it has its own sort of unique properties as well.

I love Mystique, and I would relish the day she comes to the content - but she's not going to be a particularly 'flashy' character just by the nature of her Mutant abilitly. The person that said 'basically Black Widow' is 100% spot on.
  • ShadowstrikeShadowstrike Member Posts: 3,110 ★★★★★
    phil56201 said:

I think a solution would be utilizing her shape changing powers in offensive ways.

In the comics she can form defensive armor or change her limbs into weapons like clawed fingers/toes, tendrils, and even morphed her head into a large jaw with teeth.

Sort of how Apocalypse uses his powers, but on a more limited scale- i.e. she can't form into energy weapons or any mechanical devices.

Exactly. At most she can do slashing attacks similar to Wolverine or even do a similar heavy attack to Archangel where she's spinning around slicing up the opponent and stacking bleeds. And to finish them off, she'll either use her gun or unleash a flurry of Gymkata moves for a SP3.

Mike summed it up in both the live stream and in the past when people have asked about this: you could have Mystique in the game by June. But similar to Jessica Jones 1.0, she's just going to be a reskinned version of Black Widow classic.

If you want someone who moves like mystique and can utilize or shape shifting abilities as part of her specials, that's a whole different bag and that's a very complicated bag.
    Terra said:

Buttehrs said:

See this is why I didn't complain when it when they changed Echo's powers in the show.

In fighting video games, Mystique almost always is just a "person with a big gun" character. Which honestly I love. You could have her "big gun" be made by Forge so it has its own sort of unique properties as well.

I love Mystique, and I would relish the day she comes to the content - but she's not going to be a particularly 'flashy' character just by the nature of her Mutant abilitly. The person that said 'basically Black Widow' is 100% spot on.

Mike even name dropped Marvel future fight as an example of how they have Mystique but they don't really do anything with Mystique. She's just holding a big gun.
  • PriyabrataPriyabrata Member Posts: 1,238 ★★★★
    Buttehrs said:

So bootleg Taskmaster

Buttehrs said:

So bootleg Taskmaster
    Mutant Taskmaster is more apt.
  • PriyabrataPriyabrata Member Posts: 1,238 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Abilities cost points. But if you wanted more abilities than you had points, you could actually give yourself disabilities that acted as disadvantages that earned you points. The idea being, disadvantages could pay for abilities. We had a special term for the above: we called it "lactose intolerance." The idea was to pretend to give yourself a disadvantage for points that would have no actual effect in the game. For example, a player could give themselves a special weakness to moonlight, and then just refuse to fight at night for any reason.

DNA I don't know if you watch anime and JJK in particular but that's literally the concept behind binding vows in jujutsu kaisen lol.
    I know this is unrelated but the resemblance is so uncanny I had to bring it up
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,365 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

Abilities cost points. But if you wanted more abilities than you had points, you could actually give yourself disabilities that acted as disadvantages that earned you points. The idea being, disadvantages could pay for abilities. We had a special term for the above: we called it "lactose intolerance." The idea was to pretend to give yourself a disadvantage for points that would have no actual effect in the game. For example, a player could give themselves a special weakness to moonlight, and then just refuse to fight at night for any reason.

DNA I don't know if you watch anime and JJK in particular but that's literally the concept behind binding vows in jujutsu kaisen lol.
    I know this is unrelated but the resemblance is so uncanny I had to bring it up
    I think it is a tiny bit different in concept: I'm not a big follower of Jujutsu Kaisen but I'm aware of the basic idea. If I understand correctly, binding vows are like deals with the devil. You get something, but the price is honoring a set of conditions that go along with it, with often severe penalties associated with them (and an implicit understanding that not breaking them is going to be non-trivial).

The Champions game idea was Kryptonite. You can have all the powers with Superman, but a green rock can kill you. You can possess the most powerful weapon in the universe, but it won't affect anything yellow. In comics, everyone has to have a weakness, and the stronger the character the bigger the weakness or else it becomes impossible to work around the character's overwhelming strength. Similarly in a game the stronger you are the more the game needs a way to beat you, or you become a broken character.

Needless to say, without a very good game master, Champions players would inevitably find ways to run amok.
  • Archit_1812Archit_1812 Member Posts: 463 ★★

Hey guys, thanks for your inputs. I will definitely try to improve Mystique's abilities, but I will need the help of the community. What do YOU want to see in Mystique? If you could just message me personally, I'd be happy to view them.
  • SilentArisSilentAris Member Posts: 84
    If you play mk mobile there's charecter called Shang shung he takes his enemy form and do their specials to but mystique should start fight with taking her enemy form but do her specials also her enemy form has low health which can be melted so she can go to her mystique form(you can see mk 11 Shang shung gameplay on yt)

Hey guys, thanks for your inputs. I will definitely try to improve Mystique's abilities, but I will need the help of the community. What do YOU want to see in Mystique? If you could just message me personally, I'd be happy to view them.

I commend your approach and ability to be receptive to feedback OP.

Try to answer the following questions when designing a champion:

1) Do I want them to be primarily an offensive champion or a defensive champion?

2) Where do I want the champion to shine? Long form content? Battlegrounds? AW defense? General questing or AW?

3) Do I need the champion to be a direct counter to a node, a champion, a mechanic, a meta in BG or AW?

4) What is the overarching theme for the champion? What are the mechanics that this theme is comprised of?

5) What does the rotation look like? How can the basic and special attacks support that rotation?

6) How does the damage scale? Does it ramp up through the combo meter? By stacking up certain buffs, debuffs or abilities? Maybe a unique but rewarding mix?

Some points to think about.

@Magrailothos, @DNA3000 and @DrZola will also have unique and profound insights as they have extensively been involved in this space.
  • peixemacacopeixemacaco Member Posts: 2,364 ★★★★
    So many interest from everyone to have Mystique on Mcoc.

I think will be very nice from Kabam guys a word if this was discussed with Mcoc Team and if it's really possible we see Mystique in the future.
    @""Kabam Miike"

So many interest from everyone to have Mystique on Mcoc.

I think will be very nice from Kabam guys a word if this was discussed with Mcoc Team and if it's really possible we see Mystique in the future.
    @""Kabam Miike"

Mystique has been discussed both publicly and privately by the devs. You could say that Mystique is "Everest-tier champion design." It is one of the Marvel character design challenges they have not yet figured out how to climb yet, but not for lack of thinking about it.
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Member Posts: 5,862 ★★★★★
    Rookiie said:

I commend your approach and ability to be receptive to feedback OP.

Try to answer the following questions when designing a champion:

1) Do I want them to be primarily an offensive champion or a defensive champion?

2) Where do I want the champion to shine? Long form content? Battlegrounds? AW defense? General questing or AW?

3) Do I need the champion to be a direct counter to a node, a champion, a mechanic, a meta in BG or AW?

4) What is the overarching theme for the champion? What are the mechanics that this theme is comprised of?

5) What does the rotation look like? How can the basic and special attacks support that rotation?

6) How does the damage scale? Does it ramp up through the combo meter? By stacking up certain buffs, debuffs or abilities? Maybe a unique but rewarding mix?

Some points to think about.

@Magrailothos, @DNA3000 and @DrZola will also have unique and profound insights as they have extensively been involved in this space.
    Very kind, mate 🙂

@peixemacaco Well done for the effort. @Rookiie has said most of what I'd add, above. Work out what role you want a champion to have, then go backwards to decide how they achieve it.

So for Mystique, what place would your version fill in the game? As a character, what she does is extremely similar to Domino - acrobatics, guns, and she works by confusing the enemy to defeat them.

On the other hand, that's not necessarily a problem. A lot of Kate Bishop's kit is an upgrade to Elsa Bloodstone's kit; and that doesn't seem to have held her back...

As discussed by DNA, the main trouble with Mystique is that either she would shapeshift so little that people complain; or she requires so much coding that she makes everyone's phones crash.

I'm not a programmer at all. But given the existence of Strikers, I would have thought that Kabam is perfectly capable of doing a basic level of Shapeshifting, if they want to - I've made a suggestion below.

A few thoughts, if you want to go away and build a more involved suggestion for Mystique:

Domino is an absolute nuke of a champ, and annoying both in offense and defense. However she's not got any ability to control the fight by affecting the AI or the opponents Power. That might be a good area to focus on for Mystique, if she's going to be distinct from Domino: some kind of Taunt, Intimidate, Infuriate or other ability to help a skilled player control the fight.

Suggestion for Shapeshifting
    At the start of the fight, and when activating special attacks, if the opponent is S/M/L, Mystique changes her shape to match theirs* for 12 seconds. This inflicts a Passive Confusion on the opponent.
    Effects of confusion could include...
    .... reduced Ability Accuracy
    ... Reduced attack or crit rating
    ... Confused opponents might gain less power when struck by a special attack
    ... They might be either more or less likely to activate a special attack, depending on what role you want Mystique to fill in the game.

(Can you think of any additional effects? There needs to be a reason for this kind of ability - maybe striking a confused opponent builds some kind of charge, or Prowess, or something...)

Limitations - Confusion probably shouldn't affect #robots and/or Tech champions in general, and/or opponents with #psychic shielding

Obviously Mystique could have special attacks that cause bleed, concussion, disorient, etc

Other in-game abilities she might potentially have which aren't strictly linked to her 'mutant' abilities, but don't really exist outside MCOC, anyway:
    • Basic abilities like Fury, Precision, Cruelty, or Prowess
    • She could be immune to buffs; or she could replace the Dexterity mastery
    • She could gain bursts of Power, like Deadpool X-Force does
    • She could reduce the opponents Defensive Combat Power
    • She definitely shouldn't have any DoT immunities, but could (for example) be immune/resistant to Ability Accuracy reduction, or to Regeneration rate reduction. Possibly poison resistance, or 20% or something.
    • As suggested above, she could use a weapon "stolen from Forge" for special attacks, which inflicts Incinerate, Power Drain/Lock/Sting
    • Anyway, just some thoughts and suggestions for you - have fun creating something!
  • Archit_1812Archit_1812 Member Posts: 463 ★★

Shapeshifting Mastery (Passive): Mystique's mastery of shapeshifting grants her a 40% chance to evade incoming basic attacks while dashing back. This evade chance has a 5 second cooldown.
    Shapeshift Charges (Passive): Mystique gains Shapeshift Charges, increasing by 1 every time she evades, activates a special attack or every 3 hits in her combo meter, with a maximum of 20 charges. These charges convert into +10% Special Damage Prowess Buffs lasting 5 seconds. Once activated, a timer starts on the charges for 4 seconds, paused if charging a heavy attack or striking the opponent.
    Fluid Combat (Special 1): Mystique performs a swift series of strikes, inflicting Bleed on the opponent for X seconds. This attack grants a Precision Buff for 4 seconds, increasing precision rating by +3000, refreshed on landing an MLLLL combo.
    Adaptive Evasion (Special 2): The first successful hit of this attack Activates all Shapeshift Charges, granting +10% special attack damage per stack. Mystique shifts her form rapidly, dodging the opponent's attacks before delivering a powerful finishing blow, stunning the opponent passively for 1.5 seconds. If Mystique has 20+ Activated Shapeshift Charges, the stun duration is increased to 3.5 seconds. Charging a heavy attack during this stun grants indefinite Fury buffs for every 0.5 seconds charging, increasing attack rating by 15% per stack. Additionally, she activates a Power Gain for 2 seconds, granting 2 bars of power over its duration
    Wrath of the Raven (Special 3): Increases max shapeshift charges by 5 indefinitely. Can be done 2 times per fight. She also gains an indefinite Passive Prowess increasing special attack damage by +15% for 4 seconds, refreshed while landing a heavy attack or an MLLLL combo.
    Blessing of the Hand (Signature Ability): Mystique's mastery over shapeshifting evolves, granting her a permanent bonus based on the opponent's class:
    - Mystic: Mystic Champions' nullification abilities have a reduced chance to trigger against Mystique.
    - Skill: Skill Champions' Evade abilities have a reduced chance to trigger against Mystique.
    - Cosmic: The ability accuracy of Cosmic Champs is reduced by when either Mystique or her opponent is below health.
    - Science: Mystique gains a 15% chance to purify a non-damaging debuff on her every hit. The duration of damaging debuffs are reduced by 25% but their damage to Mystique is increased by 10%.
    - XL: Against #Size: XL champs, Mystique’s evade ability accuracy increases by 10%.

Recommended Rotation:
    1. Use basic attacks and keep evading to build till under 2 bars of power.
    2. Launch SP1 to get Precision.
    3. Build to 20 shapeshift charges and throw SP3.
    4. Launch SP3.
    5. Build to SP2 while refreshing your Precision and Prowess Passive.
    6. Launch SP2.
    7. Charge your heavy attack on the stun and launch another SP2.
    8. Rinse and repeat.

Here's Mystique 2.0! I've changed a hecka lotta things and no ability copying! (Although, tbh, Mystique of Earth Prime can copy abilities upto a certain potency post-resurrection by The Hand)
    Once again, this is an open discussion, but I would prefer for supportive feedbacks. This took a lot of time and effort to create, so I would love your support!
    So summoners, what do you think?
    Hey @Archit_1812 ! Good work! This kit is a lot better than your first draft and could be a viable kit - because of this I can judge it concretely, and honestly.

What I like:

1) Mystique has a schtick, or a gimmick, in her Shapeshifting Mastery and Shapeshifting Charges; that’s a good start when designing a kit.

2) You can cash out on the SP2 with up to 450% Prowess.

What I don’t like:

1) Shapeshifting Mastery is awfully basic: I don’t like the idea that Shapeshifting Mastery is focused on a 40% chance to Evade to gain 1 Shapeshifting Charge. Historically, baking an Evade into an offensive play style does not sit will with the player base.

2) It’s not clear how the Prowess and Fury buffs fall off, is it all at once or one at a time? This could be awfully stressful because of the short duration you provided.

3) The SP1 is useless. Giving champions precision buffs (okay and some bleed) isn’t spicy.

All in all it looks like a mixture of Domino and Sunspot with a CapIW-like sig ability.

I’m not so sure what problems this Mystique is going to solve (or create) in the game. I do think you’re off to a great start - so here’s what I would consider for your next draft:

1) Is there a gimmick that is more ‘fitting’ for Mystique?
    2) How can I create a rotation where everything flows well together? Take a look at Kushala, her SP1 is enhanced through utility (buff-heavy matchups), through SP2 and SP3 (soul barb and degen respectively)
    3) Crunch your numbers to the best of your ability. Try to imagine the rotation and damage as you create your numbers. You did a good job with the scaling:
    20Prowess x 15%Damage = 300%Damage which is good, but 4 seconds across your entire kit is too stressful to play.
    4) The sig: stay away from a cap-like sig unless there is good reason to do it. Ideally, you want something that elevates Mystique as a character.
    5) At the end of it, ask yourself - do I feel good about this champion entering the game?

Well, that’s it from my side! Looking forward to the next iteration!
  • MagrailothosMagrailothos Member Posts: 5,862 ★★★★★
    I did one feedback, which went to approval heaven.

Like @Rookiie says, keep the Shapeshift charges as Mystique's 'thing', but (1) that 40% Evade thing really doesn't work, and (2) make them do something.

1 - Actual Evades are problematic: many champs shut down or punish Evade; and some players run the Unfazed mastery. Do you want Mystique to be basically helpless against champions like Night Thrasher, Mole Man or IMIW?
    Why not just make it 'Mystique gains a Shapeshift charge on a well-timed dodge, every three hits in her combo meter, or every five hits in her opponents combo meter' (otherwise, she'll never get them on defense...)

2 - Currently, her Shapeshift charges are just Prowess with a different name. I really think you need to decide on something else for them to do, depending on what you want Mystique to achieve in the game - do you want her to control the match? (By influencing the opponent's AI), to reduce the opponents defenses? (By reducing Power Gain, or causing DAAR), to be an offensive nuke (charges could increase combat power, attack or crit rating), or a defensive nightmare (by reducing damage, criticals, or Offensive ability accuracy reduction).

If you'd like them to do a couple of things, put the less-important ability into her Sig.

The SP2 needs some kind of built-in limit, since it's currently: SP2 stuns the opponent long enough to charge Heavy, gaining Fury + another two bars of power, so stun the opponent again, charge heavy, throw SP2 again... Basically, get to SP2 and unless the opponent is immune to stun, you win the match. That doesn't really work.

You would probably need to have the Power Gain linked to the consumption of Shapeshift charges, as that would immediately limit you to two back-to-back SP2s. The first would have the benefits of Shapeshift charges (whatever that is), and the second would have the benefit of Fury effects.

So summoners, what do you think?

In general terms, I think this iteration seems to be a more practical design for a champion. If I set aside the conceptual baggage of shape shifting, the champion design now seems more coherent and focused. Whereas the first iteration looked like a wish list, this looks like a champion that could actually exist in the game. The question now is: is it a good design?

I'm trying to think of a specific role or set of roles this champion targets. Is it a pure damage champ, is it a utility champ, is it good for burst fights or long fights or is it a good defender.

Right off the bat, unless it has crazy animations, it doesn't seem to be a good defender, or even a mediocre defender. Even with the 40% chance to evade while dashing back, I think this would not be a difficult champ to kill without the support of nodes. So scratch defender.

As an attacker, the design seems focused on prowess and bleed (although it does have fury). I think the limited SP3 usage combined with the ability to spam SP2s is interesting, but would require very careful tuning. I get a tiny whiff of X-23 in here, but with the evade mechanic instead of healing. To really give this design a careful review, I will need to think about it a bit more: I'll give it that much.