What’s happening with AI?

Comments

• EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,835 ★★★★★

2 months since this post was created, AIs been messed up for longer than this post…
    And yet

“We’re working on it guys” is the same sentiment month after month

So what exactly ARE you working on? Cause it doesn't seem like you guys care enough to handle it in a timely fashion

If this keeps going on, I may actually retire and move on to another game. Seriously.
  • BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Member Posts: 2,186 ★★★★★

2 months since this post was created, AIs been messed up for longer than this post…
    And yet

So what exactly ARE you working on? Cause it doesn't seem like you guys care enough to handle it in a timely fashion

If they were half as zealous about this as they were about minor character fixes it woulda been fixed a year ago
  • DarkNightRiseDarkNightRise Member Posts: 365 ★★★

And yet

I suppose it’s on the list but the “to-do” list, not the priority list… We’re investigating
  • PgeorgePgeorge Member Posts: 30
    I'm tired of being mid combo and getting a dext+special to the face. I'm going m-l-l-what boom dead
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,835 ★★★★★
    KabamDORK said:

Hey all! I know these updates aren't coming in as quickly as we'd like, but the team is actively working on it and it is a priority. With that, I'd like to give you an official update on how we're doing. Also want to let you know that this same page will be the home of future updates as we move things forward.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/378216/ai-updates-47-0-10-07-2024

See you all soon!

Finally an update and answer, thank you so much
  • DarkNightRiseDarkNightRise Member Posts: 365 ★★★
    KabamDORK said:

Hey all! I know these updates aren't coming in as quickly as we'd like, but the team is actively working on it and it is a priority. With that, I'd like to give you an official update on how we're doing. Also want to let you know that this same page will be the home of future updates as we move things forward.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/378216/ai-updates-47-0-10-07-2024

See you all soon!

Ok thank you so much for the update! Then now we need to move process to action. Looking for some positive results from your AI change / fix
  • HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Member Posts: 964 ★★★★
    AI got upgraded again with 47.0. Now reliably special intercepting. Two examples.

1. Maestro while he was in his superior mode. I dashed in at him and he threw the special rooting me right in front of him. The special was thrown after my dash in.
    2. Next fight Sassy does the exact same thing.

Both of these specials activated after the start of my dash. Of course, this is all clearly a bug. Just software, developing itself...
    edited October 8

AI got upgraded again with 47.0. Now reliably special intercepting. Two examples.

1. Maestro while he was in his superior mode. I dashed in at him and he threw the special rooting me right in front of him. The special was thrown after my dash in.

Both of these specials activated after the start of my dash. Of course, this is all clearly a bug. Just software, developing itself...

I think the bullet time side step stuff bothers me more… but I’m actually holding my judgement on this topic until the 60 fps update as I want to see if and how that impacts any of my infighting pain points

And relic parrying… that alone makes me completely agnostic about them ever coming back
    BigBlueOx said:

I think the bullet time side step stuff bothers me more… but I’m actually holding my judgement on this topic until the 60 fps update as I want to see if and how that impacts any of my infighting pain points

And relic parrying… that alone makes me completely agnostic about them ever coming back
    Ah yeah, Enchantress managers to do that into a full 5 hit combo. In fact the AI is quite away of how many hits it can do now. It's much better at a light intercept into a full combo.

The idea that this is just an unintended consequence of some bug can't be acceptable to anyone with an IQ above room temperature.
  • ArmoredGhostArmoredGhost Member Posts: 178 ★★★
    I don't know if this is a side effect of the Update but I'm having extremely long fights now because of passive AI. I literally had a 4 minute fight in ARENAS against a mr sinister because he wouldn't throw his specials
  • AsyalolAsyalol Member Posts: 48
    I have been playing for years and I have never seen the AI ​​do like that, he can make parades, to avoid relics, to recover faster than Flash after a SP or to stay in care and wait to to have are SP3. I have never been so frustrated as now. It disgusts me so much that I no longer do AW or arena. It's pitiful.
  • EakomoEakomo Member Posts: 114
    this new update is ****, before in bg's red skull liked to throw his sp1, now he's thrown it once across 2 fights
  • BringPopcornBringPopcorn Member Posts: 4,865 ★★★★★
    So I was playing arenas and I noticed i am hearing random "Parry" sounds....anybody else notice that?
  • raviXsharmaraviXsharma Member Posts: 567 ★★★
    KabamDORK said:

See you all soon!

After this update, the AI seems to be more passive and intercepting my dashes with specials most of the time! It'll dash back and just stand right there, blocking for this one frame so that it can remain standing and not start walking, waiting for my dash input. And when you dash, it throws special right on your face
  • Shadow_ShooterShadow_Shooter Member Posts: 343 ★★★
    yes i’m more light intercepted than ever.
  • ThiartcThiartc Member Posts: 284 ★★
    anyone getting that the ai dex's stryker almost everytime now?
  • bumble-beebumble-bee Member Posts: 154 ★★
    Sometimes, the attacker will stop in the middle of auto dash forward.
    When this happens, the block input is not recognised by the game and defender will punch in the face.
    Also, many times input is not recognised by the game while doing light attack whiff.
    edited October 11
    Is it just me or anyone experiencing a lot of dropped inputs since yesterday.
  • DrZolaDrZola Member Posts: 9,041 ★★★★★
    edited October 11
    KabamDORK said:

See you all soon!

Probably not adding anything to what’s already been said in this thread, but the combo of passive AI holding specials with the Crit Me BG meta is 100% no bueno. It feels intentional even if it technically isn’t when you burn 30-45 seconds trying to bait a single special.

If this type AI behavior keeps up, I’d suggest asking the Stark Foundation to front even more points for Jack’s Realm event. No way I’m burning Marks for this kind of BS.

Dr. Zola

Edit: Didn’t realize @BigBlueOx beat me to the punch one post above.

Edit 2: Intercepts need to count as intercepts. If it’s happened once to me, it has happened a few dozen times that I’ve intercepted, dropped a special only to see that the game failed to recognize the intercept a award me the crit passive. The result? Lost special, no damage, and lost fight time.
    DrZola said:

KabamDORK said:

See you all soon!

Probably not adding anything to what’s already been said in this thread, but the combo of passive AI holding specials with the Crit Me BG meta is 100% no bueno. It feels intentional even if it technically isn’t when you burn 30-45 seconds trying to bait a single special.

If this type AI behavior keeps up, I’d suggest asking the Stark Foundation to front even more points for Jack’s Realm event. No way I’m burning Marks for this kind of BS.

Dr. Zola

Going to chime in on the bolded part. I don't think we have any evidence to suggest it isn't intentional. The AI doesn't just dial itself up.

One clear example is what Dave used to call the action distance (I forgot the actual name since it's been years). The AI is much more likely to auto walk right up to your light range. To suggest this hasn't been actually changed would make no sense.
  • DrZolaDrZola Member Posts: 9,041 ★★★★★
    edited October 11

DrZola said:

KabamDORK said:

See you all soon!

Dr. Zola

Going to chime in on the bolded part. I don't think we have any evidence to suggest it isn't intentional. The AI doesn't just dial itself up.

One clear example is what Dave used to call the action distance (I forgot the actual name since it's been years). The AI is much more likely to auto walk right up to your light range. To suggest this hasn't been actually changed would make no sense.
    I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I’m more inclined to ascribe the weirdness in AI to a kind of competence deficit instead of intentionality.

The sheer number of hands typing line after line of code over a decade on what was once a simple “dash in, dash back” game seems more likely an explanation for the wonky AI behavior (and the inability to meaningfully repair it).

Dr. Zola
    edited October 11
    Also not sure if this is inputs hit boxes or AI but I’m noticing a lot more of my back drafts whiff, where my light attack is ignored and the defenders dash is registered instead. Super fun.
  • JijinJijin Member Posts: 3
    I have experienced a lot of backdraft intercepts by the AI. The AI heavy recovery and block speed also seems to be very fast. I have noticed this against Dust especially. Her heavy and blocks are very fast.
    I am also getting special intercepted quite frequently. Previously the AI would prefer to block when dashing in but now it prefers to throw the special instead. Which is a change I have observed recently.
  • CptChaos81CptChaos81 Member Posts: 5
    Sry @KabamDork, but we know that song for a very long time and we all know what will happening.

Not meant as an offense. I know that you inherited this topic. But actions speak louder than words, and actions from Kabam on this matter are very, very rare
    New bug:
    Although I am holding block, attacker starts auto running sometimes.
  • CioCristiCioCristi Member Posts: 6
    Playing BGs after the update on AI should be added to Geneva convention, it's pure torture. It's the worst I've ever seen (yet).
    Can't wait to get in GC, get the deathless piece and do the minimum in BGs, 1 victory for the banquet ticket.